Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Terranigma

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2007, 04:15 PM #26 of 36
There is an article on Hardcore Gaming about this series.
I played Illusion of Gaia/Time a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I should really give this a try.
That was a great read. Thanks a lot for that link!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:51 PM #27 of 36
This makes me want to play this game again...

I actually picked up a torrent the other day looking for the DKC games, and there were a bunch of other games labeled as 'Classic Games' in there too... I saw a folder called 'Soul Blazer Trilogy', so I added that to the download. I didn't know that Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma were part of a series...

And for some reason, I didn't even know that Soul Blazer existed. In any case, I've been playing through Soul Blazer since I picked it up yesterday, and I'm loving it. Once I'm done, I'll probably play through the other two games again, seeing as I never actually finished either one of them, I don't think.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:56 AM Local time: Nov 8, 2007, 07:56 AM #28 of 36
It's a damned shame that it never came stateside, considering the fans of the old-school genre. In any case, who owns the rights to this now? SquareEnix? Given that we've seen just one title on the Wii's VC from SE, it's not out of the realms of possibility that they could port it to the VC. I'd gladly pay for it.

How ya doing, buddy?
What's all this?
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:28 PM #29 of 36
The Soul Blazer series is really underrated. I've always been a fan of Illusion of Gaia (or Illusion of Time to our friends across the pond), and Terranigma is a real gem indeed. Whether or not Quintet intended for all the games to work as an actual series is debatable, but there is a definite link in this chain. Check out the title screen for the North American beta version of IoG:

So Enix NA was originally going to call it "Soul Blazer: Illusion of Gaia", and use the original Japanese background image. Pretty neat, and it goes one step further to joining the games together.

Quote:
In any case, who owns the rights to this now? SquareEnix?
That'd be my guess. I sure hope they decided to finally release Terranigma here, too. We got every other Quintet RPG (even Granstream Saga for PSone), it's just a crime not to include this one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:05 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 01:05 AM #30 of 36
I loveds Terranigma to death - too bad I sold all my Super Nintendo stuff back then to get a Nintendo 64. The beginning was very slow, but what came afterwards was great. I found the graphics of the "awakening sequences" breathtaking at that time. Also a wonderful soundtrack. Having a look at a soundtrack rip, there are only a handful of tracks I find mediocre. Beruga has one of the most classic villain themes. Is there an orchestrated version available?

I remember a very tedious part that involved hiding from guys with flashlights, it took me ages to finish the part. Maybe I was just too clumsy back then. ^^

The translation to German was a little bit special, but not awful. The ending was a little unsatifsying - it´s okay to imagine what happens next, but I just wanted to KNOW, not just imagine.

Most amazing jew boots
Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:13 AM #31 of 36
it's a shame I never played the game when I lived in Germany. About 2 years ago I played the game on my PSP and it was great but the game would crash at a certain part of this cave and after that I upgraded the firmware so yea...

I reached pretty far I guess, I reached some part where I had to kill some queen in a castle, not sure. I gotta download the rom and play it again, or find one of those devices that I can play imported games on my SNES.

FELIPE NO
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 01:40 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2007, 12:40 PM #32 of 36
Is Granstream Saga really (and easily?) the best of the Quintet games like that article says? It seemed like the game wasn't held in high regard by anybody. I guess I'll have to try it at some point. For whatever reason I thought it was supposed to be one of those infamous games like Beyond the Beyond or Shadow Madness.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
~MV
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 03:38 PM #33 of 36
I honestly think the only thing it really had going for it were the animated cutscenes. Then again, I tried playing it last year sometime and that could be why I feel that way.

I know I *liked* it when it first came out but it really hasn't aged well. I can still play a game like Vagrant Story without any qualms, but every time I attempt to play Granstream Saga I facepalm and give up.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:28 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2007, 08:28 PM #34 of 36
So it's frustrating or boring in some way now?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~MV
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2007, 09:45 PM #35 of 36
Boring is a good word. The game isn't hard, that's for sure, and the visuals are pretty terrible (I understand it's older than many PSOne games; but come on, the people don't even have faces.), the music is rather dull, and the gameplay was interesting when it was released, but there were other games that came out in the lifespan of the PSOne which did did the whole "real time combat" thing a lot better.

It's also pretty short and the plot was pretty cliche'd; though I did like the final plot twists and the ending was sort of sad/good. (It has 2 endings but the likely "canon" ending was the one I feel was a good ending.)

It'd be worth playing on a emulator maybe if you never played it, since you could soften the textures and increase the framerate a little so it didn't feel so sluggish. It's not a terrible game, it's just one that did not stand the tests of time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:23 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2007, 02:23 AM #36 of 36
I thought the only game that was a bigger waste of my money on the PSX over Granstream Saga was Beyond the Beyond.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Terranigma