Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Mobo crapping out? PCI-E 8x!!? Explanation inside...

BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:50 AM #1 of 1
Mobo crapping out? PCI-E 8x!!? Explanation inside...

I know this is tl;dr, but here goes:

I think my mobo is crapping out on me. I have an ASUS A8N5X, nForce 4, blah blah blah. Anyways. I had a small issue about a week ago with the chipset fan making a wringing noise, and my computer randomly locking up on me after about 10-15 minutes of graphics-heavy gaming, so I decided to replace it with a cheap Startech (thermal paste) chipset fan. I had read in reviews before purchasing the mobo that the chipset fan would crap out in about a year or so after purchase. I purchased mine in March, so I figured it was pretty much time.

Moving on to a week later, and I noticed that the lockups weren't getting much better, so I decided to switch back to the original chipset fan, and now I'm not having any lockups or system hangs. But now there's a new problem:

I was going through the motions of setting up my RAM timings and 1T selections, and disabling PEG Link in the BIOS, but now, the startup COMPLETELY locks up--the computer won't even POST. I found out the culprit was PEG Link mode--if I touch ANY of the options (besides the defaults--all of them AUTO), my computer refuses to POST, and the only thing I can do is re-enter the BIOS and set PEG Link back to AUTO. This concerned me, so I decided to fire up CPU-Z and take a look.

I go over to the mainboard tab and it reads that my PCI-E Link Width is only at 8x, which came out of the blue for me. Now I've used CPU-Z a million times before, and even checked my Link Width from time to time because someone was having trouble with their board also saying its Link Width was only 8x, so it's definitely a problem, now. I don't know what I could've done, but there was a time I saw the Link Width at 2x!!! I did happen to OC my motherboard fairly high (FSB was around 270-275, RAM @ 233MHz)--though I had dropped down my CPU Multi to 3x and the HT speed rested nicely @ ~850MHz.

I've done a few things to try to fix this, such as reflashing the BIOS (Phoenix/Award 1003 beta), with no avail. I've tried uninstalling the chipset drivers, to no avail. I'm really blank up to this point with what to do. I've already concluded that the board's on the way out, and have already begun the hunt for another 939 board.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done to maybe salvage this board?

OH YEAH, IF ANYONE HAPPENS TO SELL A S939 NFORCE 4 BOARD, LEMME KNOW!! Thanks for looking. =)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Mobo crapping out? PCI-E 8x!!? Explanation inside...