Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:04 PM #526 of 608
Pyramid Nerd is a representation of James' anger and lust. That's why he's always killing shit and raping monsters in SH2. I don't remember what the significance is in concerns to Pyramid being a Civil War-era executioner, though.

They simply should have based the movie on Silent Hill 2. I think it would have played out well on film, and the concept doesn't seem particularly cliched to me. Also, Sean Bean makes a perfect Sunderland.

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK...INTO HEAVEN'S NIGHT.

::steel pipe::

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:11 PM #527 of 608
Well I can easily see a sequel with Sean Bean based on SHII, or would that not work? I'm not too familiar with the series so I'm not sure.

FELIPE NO
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:17 PM #528 of 608
Originally Posted by Freddy Krueger
Well I can easily see a sequel with Sean Bean based on SHII, or would that not work? I'm not too familiar with the series so I'm not sure.
Wouldn't work, in terms of SH2's story.

MAJOR SPOILER FOR SH2'S WHOLE PLOT!:
James visits SH because his dead wife had written a letter to him, asking him to come. He goes there, but eventually finds out that HE killed his own wife.

Basically, she was really sick, and he was feeling tied down to her, so he put a pillow over her head and smothered her. Then his mind made up this little story that she died from the disease.

I can't see this happening, unless he gets married again or something. They could have easily worked this in if Rose actually got back home safely, but since she's in "Limbo Land," he's wifeless.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:17 PM #529 of 608
It's the only logical route.

Sean Bean's character is left wondering what had happened to Rose and Sharon, since they're trapped in Silent Hill, and it only makes sense for him to revisit the town in order to find out what happened.

They fucked it all up already, though. The greatest thing in the entire series is featured in SH2. This is the fact that the town is a representation of oneself. The dark side is nothing but a reflection of one's own evils. The whole story about birthing Samael in the first SH and the third is just boring and stupid.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:21 PM #530 of 608
Originally Posted by Megalith
This is the fact that the town is a representation of oneself. The dark side is nothing but a reflection of one's own evils. The whole story about birthing Samael in the first SH and the third is just boring and stupid.
Woah, how is this a fact? Sure, it's an element of SH2, but you can't just throw out SH1 and 3's plot. It's freakin' canon.

Also, as I've said above, they'd have to create a new story with some kind of new twists if Sean Bean is going to be the main character.

It can't be based off of SH2.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:30 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:30 AM #531 of 608
SH2 (the movie) could easily rewrite SH2 (the game)'s story as
Spoiler:
Christopher getting calls/letters from Rose begging him to find her in Silent Hill and berating him for leaving her there to die alone and never caring enough to find her.
Not saying that's what I would want, but they could easily rework the story to fit that mold.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:32 PM #532 of 608
Originally Posted by Motsy
SH2 (the movie) could easily rewrite SH2 (the game)'s story as
Spoiler:
Christopher getting calls/letters from Rose begging him to find her in Silent Hill and berating him for leaving her there to die alone and never caring enough to find her.
Not saying that's what I would want, but they could easily rework the story to fit that mold.
Spoiler:
The only thing is... that's not a twist. The problem with making Christopher into a James-esque character is that we already know what happened before. We saw the first film, so there's no "hidden past" that we could uncover.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:34 PM #533 of 608
Spoiler:
Alot of the complaints I heard from my professor and other friends was the Bean's character sucks for just saying "kthxbye" to the police and not continuing his search for Rose. Your idea for a rewrite would definitely satisfy their demands, Motsy.

Most amazing jew boots
Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:34 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:34 AM #534 of 608
Spoiler:
They wouldn't need a twist. Hell, the changed the entire cult around for the movie -- I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something similar for SH2. I don't want that, but it's certainly possible.

EDIT:
Quote:
Alot of the complaints I heard from my professor and other friends was the Bean's character sucks for just saying "kthxbye" to the police and not continuing his search for Rose.
This is why I really feel they should've written Christopher's segments so that HE learned the history of the town, and dropped the Dark Alessa exposition sequence. His scenes are mostly pointless filler as are.

Last edited by Motsy; Apr 23, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:48 PM #535 of 608
Originally Posted by Motsy
EDIT:This is why I really feel they should've written Christopher's segments so that HE learned the history of the town, and dropped the Dark Alessa exposition sequence. His scenes are mostly pointless filler as are.
Agreed. It would have been such a simple fix that for some reason, they didn't do. Oh well, I'll deal with it.

FELIPE NO
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:14 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 07:14 PM #536 of 608
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Agreed. It would have been such a simple fix that for some reason, they didn't do. Oh well, I'll deal with it.
Could've worked, but I like it also that way.

And Sean Bean's character was written in the script because of the only studio note they received: "There are no men?!".

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:19 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 05:19 PM #537 of 608
Spoiler:
I got a sense that not only did the cult want to deal with the child being a bastard, but the fact that Dahlia wouldn't even name a father. The cult might of figured the conception to be unnatural and the child a demon. Whether or not Alyssa's birth really was a product of dark works and if she really had any power before her burning, if the evil split personality came directly from her or was a/the devil responding to her pain, that much is left ambiguous.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 10:43 PM #538 of 608
Originally Posted by Dr. Uzuki
Spoiler:
I got a sense that not only did the cult want to deal with the child being a bastard, but the fact that Dahlia wouldn't even name a father. The cult might of figured the conception to be unnatural and the child a demon. Whether or not Alyssa's birth really was a product of dark works and if she really had any power before her burning, if the evil split personality came directly from her or was a/the devil responding to her pain, that much is left ambiguous.
Spoiler:
Maybe Dahlia wouldn't name a Father because she wasn't married to him, so it would constitute a sin to their religion. Maybe the 'Father' was an important member of the community and Dahlia didn't want to tarnish his character. There's A LOT of material to play with here and as Gans said multiple times, the Mythology and history of Silent Hill is way too vast to tell in one siting. He could do a story about the first Witch Hunt, Dr. Kauffman, Lisa Garland, Dahlia, the origin of the mystic indiens who lived on this land, etc.

As for Alessa being born with Dark gifts, personally, I think she either didn't have any powers wathsoever and the cruel attention she got from school and the cult was because her Father was never named or maybe she was a psychic. What I'm sure of is that Dark Alessa is a manifestation of Silent Hill, clearly Samael.

Zonix717
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5600

Level 1.00

Apr 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:44 PM #539 of 608
Hey i saw Silent hill and i was like OMG it was so good no it was great they did so good on it but there was a problem. The main person dident interact that much with the monsters. But it was still good. Ill give it a 8 out of 10.

Double Post:
O ya and you dont see PH that much in the movie so that sucked but when you do see PH it was AWSOME.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Zonix717; Apr 23, 2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:50 PM #540 of 608
Originally Posted by Zonix717
Hey i saw Silent hill and i was like OMG it was so good no it was great they did so good on it but there was a problem. The main person dident interact that much with the monsters. But it was still good. Ill give it a 8 out of 10.

Double Post:
O ya and you dont see PH that much in the movie so that sucked but when you do see PH it was AWSOME.

Most amazing jew boots
Terran Gell
Nurse Demon

Member 1265

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:21 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 07:21 PM #541 of 608
I really have to say I was impressed. Graphics were top notch and the story was excellent. Easily the best movie adaptation of a video game I've ever seen. A couple parts made me cringe like the whole cult thing (a bit hokey)but overall enjoyable. Really lacked monsters though and the ending was a bit confusing.

8.5/10

A sequal HAS to be made. They have a story for the next one (SH2) all they have to do is stick with it. They can come back to Rose and Sharron in the 3rd film.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:26 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:26 PM #542 of 608
Here's some completely superfluous Pyramid Head for you fans. I'm sure someone can make a wallpaper out of it, since there are so few decent ones in the intarweb as it is, and so few detailed shots of him.

Love that skin apron!

Last edited by Skexis; Feb 24, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 06:34 PM #543 of 608
I've always had a major problem with a certain aspect of SH2's story. It's hinged on the town being James and Mary's "special place", a resort town. I've always found that aspect silly and out of place in the series. There isn't really a believable reason you could float for Silent Hill being a haven of fond memories, and that's always hurt the story for me. Ignoring that, sure, the story was the best of the series. I'm hesitant about seeing it adapted though, and am not really hoping for any sort of sequel.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 23, 2006 at 09:36 PM.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:00 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 12:00 AM #544 of 608
Silent Hill was their 'Special Place' probably due to the fact that it was their last trip together and Mary liked the town and its past.

Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:39 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 12:39 AM #545 of 608
I've always had a major problem with a certain aspect of SH2's story. It's hinged on the town being James and Mary's "special place", a resort town. I've always found that aspect silly and out of place in the series. There isn't really a believable reason you could float for Silent Hill being a haven of fond memories, and that's always hurt the story for me. Ignoring that, sure, the story was the best of the series. I'm hesitant about seeing it adapted though, and am not really hoping for any sort of sequel.
Silent Hill is a resort town. Before Alessa was born and wierd shit started happening, I'm sure it was a very pleasant place to visit.

And for SH2:
Spoiler:
Didn't Mary ask James to kill her since she was suffering from her disease?

[ MOBIUS ]

Last edited by Mobius One; Apr 24, 2006 at 12:28 AM.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 02:11 AM #546 of 608
@MOBIUS: Put Spoiler Tags on your post and I'll answer your question.

Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:14 PM #547 of 608
Well, yeah, I get that's what the game billed it as. I'm not swallowing that pill. The place is suppose to have a history peppered in atrocities and mysticism long before the events of the first game. I could buy that the occult stuff of the town was buried under something seemingly normal, but as a place people vacation to? That's retarded.

Spoiler:
I mean, the movie didn't even go into anything past the town religion, and even it had the good sense not to try to sell as a novel bed and breakfast town.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Apr 24, 2006 at 12:19 AM.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:17 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 02:17 AM #548 of 608
Well, yeah, I get that's what the game billed it as. I'm not swallowing that pill. The place is suppose to have a history peppered in atrocities and mysticism long before the events of the first game. I could buy that the occult stuff of the town was buried under something seemingly normal, but as a place people vacation to? That's retarded.
How about the US? Don't tell me no atrocities have ever been comitted in Florida or New-York and it doesn't stop it from being a way-point for tourism.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dr. Uzuki

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:35 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:35 PM #549 of 608
Okay, fine. The town's a quaint place with friendly locals. Who wouldn't want to take a few days off, pack their bags.

I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just always something that's stood out to me as a lazy excuse on how to place these character's in Silent Hill.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:18 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 03:18 AM #550 of 608
I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just always something that's stood out to me as a lazy excuse on how to place these character's in Silent Hill.
What characters?

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie