Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Firearms!
FOR! (The only right answer) 21 38.18%
Against (Insert random joke) 32 58.18%
Undecided (too weak to have your own opinion?) 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

For or against?

Rikimaru
Resident Ninja Always Kicking Arse!

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 03:14 PM #151 of 276
I am just saying that it still could happen so it is better to be prepared for the worst. Once something is gone like freedom to own a gun, it is very difficult to get back until it is too late.

FELIPE NO
Ninjitsu is an art of being unseen. I, therefore, cannot be seen. Those who see me shall not be seen again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

JOIN NOW!
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 03:48 PM #152 of 276
Civil war isn't the same thing as a civil uprising anyways, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.

I mean, regardless of whether you have a gun or not, my point is that your ability to affect any change in the government (much less by force) is laughable. Most caretaking of the government is doen by watchdog groups and the media, since the government now (as opposed to 200 years ago) have to project a certain semblance of order if they don't want other countries trying to take advantage of civil disorder.

Should any civil uprising ever come about, I doubt very much that homeowner Bob and his 12-gauge will have any desire to meet even a street cop armed with riot gear.

Guns are fine. I'm not trying to pry them from your soon to be cold dead fingers. But the argument that you need guns to protect yourself from big brother is ludicrous.

Most amazing jew boots
Rikimaru

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:18 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 05:18 PM #153 of 276
I am just pointing out the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, and why it should not be infringed. This is not my arguments but merely stating what the framers have in mind. If you have something against the framers intention, you can always propose an amendment to change it.

The point I made with the Civil War is just an example why owning a gun is important as the framers have intended. This gives a means for the state the defend what they think they need to do.

By the way, civil war is just basically civil uprising to a large scale.

Originally Posted by Skexis
I mean, regardless of whether you have a gun or not, my point is that your ability to affect any change in the government (much less by force) is laughable.
If I am the only one doing it, yeah, there is no point. But, if the Southern States or Northern States or whatever tried doing it, they might have a chance. Wait, Southern State attempted that already and almost succeeded.

Most caretaking of the government is doen by watchdog groups and the media, since the government now (as opposed to 200 years ago) have to project a certain semblance of order if they don't want other countries trying to take advantage of civil disorder.
This works because the government still care for the people at some level, but to think about it, there is still a posibility that a powerful political person to take full control.

Should any civil uprising ever come about, I doubt very much that homeowner Bob and his 12-gauge will have any desire to meet even a street cop armed with riot gear.
But, if there is 1 million Bob with a 12-gauge because the government is oppressing them, that is a force that is difficult to stop.

Guns are fine. I'm not trying to pry them from your soon to be cold dead fingers. But the argument that you need guns to protect yourself from big brother is ludicrous.
Again, these are not my arguments. I just quoted Mr. Lee, Mr. Madison, and the second amendment.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ninjitsu is an art of being unseen. I, therefore, cannot be seen. Those who see me shall not be seen again.

JOIN NOW!

Last edited by Rikimaru; Apr 2, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 05:23 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 05:23 PM #154 of 276
Quote:
The British invading the U.S.... in the twenty first century. Puhlease.
It's a hypothetical, maybe you've heard of them. As if the Right exists explicitly to fight King George.

Quote:
My "Times Change" argument is pointed DIRECTLY at the "national defense" argument. It's just stupid. NEWS FLASH: America is the world's greatest superpower and has the world's most powerful military. Individual citizens DO NOT need weapons for national defense.
On the other hand, having the world's strongest military power would make citizenry that much easier to suppress in the unlikely event of a Coupe de Tat. Not to mention that we have an overstretched Army, and don't have the proper deployment to protect ourselves from any kind of present invasion. Hell, the Mexicans could probably get as far as Arkansas at this point (if it weren't for those ignorant, gun-loving Texans rite).

Is Mexico likely to invade? Not at all. However, it's not entirely impossible for them not to in the course of future events. Not to mention the very real danger of the Chinese crossing the Bering Straits and invading North America through Alaska. Alaska would normally be easy to defend, if we had soldiers there to defend it. The argument that the United States Navy would intercept a Chinese fleet is also rendered moot by the fact that it can't be everywhere at once, and that China is rapidly modernizing its military force and attempting to construct a Blue Water Navy.

The likelihood of a Chinese invasion of North America is unlikely given present circumstances, but the energy crisis is only going to get worse. We have oil, the Chinese don't. Put two and two together and you're looking at a potential invasion.

Quote:
As for home defense, well you don't need a gun to protect your home in a country where the government doesn't allow the meth-head who's breaking in to buy a gun.
I imagine a Meth Head can get a gun with the Government telling him not to already. Nevermind, either, that a Meth addict invading my home is looking for valuables he can pawn with which to buy more Meth. Sure it isn't threatening to me, but how would I have known that? I'd prefer to shoot first and ask questions later thx.

Quote:
The Union which they were creating. Well it has been a long time now and anybody who isn't buying into a dozen conspiracies will tell you that there is no need to arm yourself against the federal government.
Exactly. If we did arm to protect ourselves against the government, the ATF would burn our house down.

The thought that a representative government will remain benevolent is naive at best. Nations don't last forever.

Quote:
In the event that there was some sort of uprising, do you think that soldiers everywhere, who conceivably see themselves as patriots, would all be hunky-dory with slaughtering their neighbors?
Not that I'm arguing for Rikimaru here, but have you seen Dr. Strangelove, Skate? The mad general who orders his bomber wing to attack Russia in the movie tells his base defense force that the Commies have attacked the United States, and that they would send themselves disguised as American soldiers to try and seize the Air Base. The soldiers, since they trusted their commander, hated Commies, and are willing to accept the idea of a Nuclear Exchange, readily comply and attack the Airborne troops that try and re-take the Air Base.

It's not exactly the same situation, but when you're placed in a command-control situation, and presented with highly unusual circumstances, soldiers tend to put their faith in their commanding officers. The idea of dissenters is rendered null, as dissenters are branded as Commies, or Terrorists, or Traitors, and shot. Dissent has to be in the majority, which is never a guarantee.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Bradylama; Apr 2, 2006 at 06:10 PM.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:00 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:00 PM #155 of 276
Originally Posted by Rikimaru
But, if there is 1 million Bob with a 12-gauge because the government is oppressing them, that is a force that is difficult to stop.
Okay, are you comfortable with the idea of practicality? Who's going to feed clothe and supply these one million angry homeowners? Who will lead them? Who will ensure they don't break and scatter at the first sight of a column of U.S. trained troops with a tank at their head?

Quote:
Again, these are not my arguments. I just quoted Mr. Lee, Mr. Madison, and the second amendment.
Yeah, that's the rub, isn't it? Your arguments are outdated.

Originally Posted by Bradylama
It's not exactly the same situation, but when you're placed in a command-control situation, and presented with highly unusual circumstances, soldiers tend to put their faith in their commanding officers. The idea of dissenters is rendered null, as dissenters are branded as Commies, or Terrorists, or Traitors, and shot. Dissent has to be in the majority, which is never a guarantee.
I understand the concept you're trying to get across, but I think face to face gunning down of American citizens will cause a lot of soldiers to start questioning exactly why the government feels that level of violence is necessary. Call me an idealist, I guess.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Skexis; Apr 2, 2006 at 09:03 PM.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:33 PM #156 of 276
No, and you're perfectly right. The way things are now, American soldiers are independant enough to be instilled with a sense of morality that goes beyond the orders of a superior officer. If, for instance, a soldier thinks that a direct order defies something set in place by the Geneva Conventions, then he does not have to follow that order.

However, with the little, or no education concerning the rules of war being instilled in our soldiers at the present, I think you can see how things could change for the worst.

Quote:
By what standard, exactly? Are Newtonian concepts of Gravity merely outdated because they were established a long time ago?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Duo Maxwell
like this

Member 1139

Level 18.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:49 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 06:49 PM #157 of 276
Not entirely, but Newtonian physics does become less and less certain at certain levels. Hence the theories of general and special relativity.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rikimaru

Member 648

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 09:50 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:50 PM #158 of 276
Okay, are you comfortable with the idea of practicality? Who's going to feed clothe and supply these one million angry homeowners? Who will lead them? Who will ensure they don't break and scatter at the first sight of a column of U.S. trained troops with a tank at their head?
I have no idea where this will lead to. Why not just look through history? You will see that many angry people can do a lot of things against one government even though it is impractical.

Did you ever take history lesson?? (sorry, that was a cheap shot)

Since the Constitution was written by the people that I quoted which whose argument you said are already invalid, by continuing that logic, you are saying that we should scrap the Constitution.

I have nothing to say to that anymore. I have no idea where you got that idea that those arguments are outdated.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

JOIN NOW!

Last edited by Rikimaru; Apr 3, 2006 at 12:03 AM.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:46 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 10:46 PM #159 of 276
By what standard, exactly? Are Newtonian concepts of Gravity merely outdated because they were established a long time ago?
Because his interpretation of them remains grossly underdeveloped. It is hinging on the idea that technology has not changed.

The constitution is an expression of ideals. The idea that you can take back power from the government personally is very nice; it appeals to everyone's sense of individuality.

Putting this idea into action needs to consider a lot more than faith in your fellow man.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 11:20 PM #160 of 276
Well, the Bill doesn't explicitly mention the individualistic nature. In fact, a Militia would be a community of individuals. Regardless, over a hundred million firearm owners is supposed to act as more of a deterrent than a legitimate threat to the establishment. It only becomes a threat when people are like-minded in will, and it'd take quite a bit to push them over that edge.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 11:34 PM #161 of 276
Well, the Bill doesn't explicitly mention the individualistic nature. In fact, a Militia would be a community of individuals.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to use the constitution as a source, just making a general comment on our desire for individual freedoms.

Quote:
Regardless, over a hundred million firearm owners is supposed to act as more of a deterrent than a legitimate threat to the establishment. It only becomes a threat when people are like-minded in will, and it'd take quite a bit to push them over that edge.
That's really what I want Riki to understand. Sure, it's always possible that you could form a people's army and contest government control. But how likely is it that they could create a self-sufficient rebellion using what they buy at wal-marts and gun catalogues?

David4516
Second Child

Member 2016

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:04 AM Local time: Apr 2, 2006, 09:04 PM #162 of 276
Quote:
Except that it is common sense, at least intelectually that it would result in people getting hurt less often.
I don't see how it is "common sense". The presance of a firearm is not was causes people to get hurt. It's people who do stupid things with firearms, for example leaving a loaded pistol within reach of a small child...

Quote:
I might also add that "criminals" are usually kept in prisons and don't even have a chance to fire a gun in the first place.
Well, here in the real world, the police don't actually catch all the bad guys. And even when they do, the bad guys don't go off to jail forever, they get let out sooner or later...

Quote:
The shoot-first law in Florida is just creepy… real criminals now have a easy loop hole to jump through to get out of jail time, they can shoot a random person and say that he/she where attacking or threatening them.
Actually it's not a "shoot first" law, it's a "stand your ground" law.

Quote:
The Florida measure says any person "has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm."
All that really means is that if you REASONABLY feel someone is about to kill you, you have the right to defend yourself. That doesn't sound so bad to me...

Quote:
I mean, are you nuts? Nearly everyone is a criminal of some kind. Police departments wouldn't be able to get their funding without the guarantee that most people will try to bypass the speed limit. All you're doing is drawing an arbitrary line in the sand regarding which forms of criminality are more icky than others.
Actually, I believe that the word "criminal" refers to people of commit felonys. I don't think of someone who gets a parking ticket as a "criminal"...

Quote:
Cars have an intended nondangerous purpose. And do strings, and knives, and red balloons, and cuckoo clocks. The only nondangerous functions of a gun are "sport shooting" (AKA killing things you probably don't intend to eat, you know, for kicks) and target shooting, which is hard to fathom as anything beyond a kind of frustrated practice for the "real thing". I mean, if you guys really think it's so hot to make holes in things, I have this awesome new invention to show you! It's called the electric drill, and—
I find this whole "cars have a nondangerous purpose" argument laughable. To those of you who are in favor of banning guns: why do you want them banned? I'm sure most of you would say "because they hurt/kill people", and that "fewer people would be hurt/killed if guns were banned". If your goal is to save lives by banning dangerous machines, then logically you MUST be in favor of banning cars. So why arn't you in favor of banning cars? You then use the "you can do things with them that don't involve anyone dying" argument. Again, guns are the same way, there are alot of things you can do with firearms that won't kill anyone. So please explain to me how they are different?

Quote:
How many kids shoot themselves or someone else by accident each year, using a firearm which is owned by their upstanding citizen parent?
Thats exactly why they should teach kids NOT to shoot themselves in schools.

Quote:
That's what I found to be so hilarious in "Bowling For Columbine", you Canadians being armed to the teeth as well but with far less gun related crime. It has to come down to an attitude problem on the (US) Amercians' part, doesen't it?
Why do people assume that the US is such a violent place? I don't believe that we are somehow more violent by nature than people from other nations. I'd still love to see those crime rate numbers... I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the numbers will back me up on this one...

Quote:
I get the feeling you care more about reducing criminal violence figures than actually bringing about a further degree of community safety.
You can't legislate saftey. Either people will be smart (and therefore safe) or they won't. Stupid people can find all sorts of ways to hurt themselves or others, with or without guns.

Quote:
Either that or you're merely pissed you mightn't be able to go quail hunting with an M60 because democracies have this niggly habit of legislating for majorities.
First off, the majority are gun owners (at least in the US).

Secondly, wouldn't you be pissed too if someone told you that you can't have something because you MIGHT do something bad with it? That would be like me saying that you shouldn't be allowed to own a computer, because you might use it pirate movies or music. Nevermind the fact that you've owned computers for X number of years and never done anything illegal with them. You MIGHT do something bad in the future, therefore you have no right to own a computer...

I've been shooting for nearly 20 years now. I've never once shot anyone or held up a bank or anything of the sort. Explain to me how taking away my firearms will make the world a safer place?

Quote:
I don't particularly care myself whether my neighbor owns a gun or not. As long as he doesn't point it at me.
My point exactly. As long as people are responsible with them, why should anyone care if they have guns?

Quote:
To be honest, I don't really see why you need fully automatic weapons for home defense. If you lay down that much firepower, inside of your home, or on your property, there isn't going to be much left assuming you're successful in stopping the intrusion.
I don't recall anyone sujesting the use of a full auto for home defense... thats just plain stupid, as you've pointed out...

Quote:
Dead Horse, how can there be required classes for all prospective and current gun owners if there is no structure with which to know who has, and does not have one? Without any kind of registry, there can be no way to enforce the course you suggest.
Again, all the more reason to have saftey classes in schools...

Quote:
From the eighteenth century. When one of the wonders of the modern world was a shitting mechanical duck. Times change. You don't write with a quill anymore. And you don't need a gun to defend your house from King George.
While technology has changed, human nature has not. I believe that the founders wisdom is just as valid today as it was 200 years ago...

Quote:
My "Times Change" argument is pointed DIRECTLY at the "national defense" argument. It's just stupid. NEWS FLASH: America is the world's greatest superpower and has the world's most powerful military. Individual citizens DO NOT need weapons for national defense.
Actually, I believe on of the reasons that the Japanese didn't invade hawaii or the west coast in WWII was because they knew that the citizens were well armed...

Quote:
As for home defense, well you don't need a gun to protect your home in a country where the government doesn't allow the meth-head who's breaking in to buy a gun.
What if that same meth-head has a knife or bat? And what if I'm a 75 year old granny? Are you saying that a gun wouldn't be a good thing to have in that situation?

Also, the Meth-head is already breaking the law. What makes you think he (or she?) would obey a gun law when they won't obey other laws?

Quote:
The Union which they were creating. Well it has been a long time now and anybody who isn't buying into a dozen conspiracies will tell you that there is no need to arm yourself against the federal government.
I think the goverment is more dangerous now than ever before. The current leadership seems determined to take away as many rights as possible in the name of "protecting" us from terrorists...

Quote:
This is a more complex issue than a show of force. In terms of numbers, we have the army beat. But we're not mobilized, and we're certainly not equipped and trained to try to fight anyone, even if it is on our own ground. Hell, a single tear gas shell into your home and you'd be ready to call it quits.
Not if you have a gas mask

Quote:
I think I said this before, but I'll say it again: I bet the Jews would have fared better in Nazi Germany had they been armed...

Quote:
There are many examples of powerful, organized armys being defeated by untrained locals with guns. Two that come to mind very quickly are the amerian war for independance, and the veitnam war...

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:12 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 12:12 AM #163 of 276
Originally Posted by David4516
There are many examples of powerful, organized armys being defeated by untrained locals with guns. Two that come to mind very quickly are the amerian war for independance, and the veitnam war...
This is not the 1700's, and Bumfuck, suburbia does not exactly facilitate guerilla warfare.

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 02:53 AM #164 of 276
I don't see how it is "common sense". The presance of a firearm is not was causes people to get hurt. It's people who do stupid things with firearms, for example leaving a loaded pistol within reach of a small child...
Stupid people will always be there. The entire point about considering the consequences of gun ownership is to reduce the means they have of amplifying their stupidity. They would have done something stupid yes, but the odds of it being a fatal stupid, would be reduced.

And I'm not promoting banning guns, only promoting people properly think about things before they do them. Arugments like 'We should have a milita', well fine, have a militia. Doesn't mean that those outside of the militia need a gun. 'The founding fathers had guns, I wanna be like them.'... Uh, ok. 'Only stupid people and criminals use guns with poor judgement', if this is true, then what's the solution? Kill/lock up all the criminals, stupid people, maybe those who are likely to be criminals or borderline stupid?

There are a precious few reasons to have a gun. There are piles upon piles of excuses to have them though.

Also, the issue with the 'stand your ground' law, is that there is are no ground rules as to what is reasonable. It's written in a manner to leave that up to the sole discretion of the court.

Criminals are those who have comited a crime. Just because you don't count some crimes, doesn't make it any less so.

You can legislate safety, traffic laws would be an example. Now again, I'm not suggesting that firearms need aditional legislation, only that people should take safety into their own hands and be more practicle/cautious. Oh, do you know why traffic laws had to be implimented? Because people were too impractical, wreckless, and stupid to be ressponsible with their vehicles.

My point exactly. As long as people are responsible with them, why should anyone care if they have guns?
People AREN'T responsible with them. Some are, some aren't. It's those that aren't responsible, that are a concern. Just because you may be trusted with a death dealing boomstick, doesn't mean that everyone will make choices as to it's use as well as you have.

Originally Posted by Gumby
It is a right guaranteed by our constitution, which why I find it funny that all the foreigners are the ones telling us that we can't or shouldn't have guns. Maybe a touch of jealousy at our rights?
Heh. An interesting conclusion. You'd be amazed at how many rights other countries have. There isn't exactly a monopoly on 'freedom' by the US, despite what headlines might say. And if others were jealous of the 'right to bear (fire)arms', I'd imagine they would look to changing their laws instead of speaking against yours. You have a point though, nobody but your countries own citizens have a right to set policy. And you have every right to plug your ears and pretend as though the rest of the hasn't a voice if you wish. But the jealousy thing is pretty laughable.

Rikimaru, no one is suggesting that your constitution be abandoned. What I personally suggest, is that whenever one consults a source, they should re-examine how appropriate it is today. To quote an old source, or a well respected source is nice, but shouldn't be the end. Otherwise it's blind faith that those that came before know better than those that are here now. Sometimes true, sometimes not.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 03:20 AM #165 of 276
Pathetic. If you really trust your lives to the federal government then so be it, but that is a very foolhardy thing to do considering the track records of the governments in power now across the world.
Track records? There you go into history which is largely irrelevant.

I love how your retort Arrowhead is that because it doesn't matter any more. What makes you so sure about that?
Because, again, this isn't the XVIIIth century anymore. Guns or no guns, people in democratic nations are not afraid of their governments nor do they have reason to be.

Dead Horse++ brings up a good point, why shouldn't I have the right to own a firearm? It is a right guaranteed by our constitution, which why I find it funny that all the foreigners are the ones telling us that we can't or shouldn't have guns. Maybe a touch of jealousy at our rights? I don't know, but the simple fact is if you are not American then you really have no say in what we choose to own or allow our people to own.
Very funny!

You shouldn't have the right because of the danger it puts you all in.

Look at your stupid self: You argue that you have the right to bear arms which makes gun ownership good, but at the same time you admit that the danger is from other gun owners! That's absurd and a circular argument at best!

I don't dignify such "you're not American so you don't know what you're talking about" arguments with a retort. Keep that shit on the Jerry Springer show, thanks.

Double Post:
Replace the loaded pistol with a cauliflower sprout and the child isn't in danger now is he? Guns are very dangerous.

Quote:
Actually it's not a "shoot first" law, it's a "stand your ground" law.

All that really means is that if you REASONABLY feel someone is about to kill you, you have the right to defend yourself. That doesn't sound so bad to me...
Semantics. Thanks to that law, it is no longer the judge and jury that decide whether the shooter's life was in danger if he/she pleads "self defense". Now all the shooter has to do is claim that he/she felt his/her life was in danger without any solid reason, e.g. the commission of a felony. In my opinion, that's just completely unacceptable.

Quote:
Actually, I believe that the word "criminal" refers to people of commit felonys. I don't think of someone who gets a parking ticket as a "criminal"...
Someone who commits a misdemeanor is also a criminal, in common English anyway - my dictionary doesn't make a distinction.

Quote:
I find this whole "cars have a nondangerous purpose" argument laughable.
Then you, sir, are a loonie.

Quote:
To those of you who are in favor of banning guns: why do you want them banned? I'm sure most of you would say "because they hurt/kill people", and that "fewer people would be hurt/killed if guns were banned".
Because their SOLE purpose is to hurt/kill people.

Quote:
If your goal is to save lives by banning dangerous machines, then logically you MUST be in favor of banning cars.
Let me see you drive your handgun to work. Let me see your handgun carry the groceries home.

Quote:
So why arn't you in favor of banning cars? You then use the "you can do things with them that don't involve anyone dying" argument. Again, guns are the same way, there are alot of things you can do with firearms that won't kill anyone. So please explain to me how they are different?
Because none of these "a lot of things you can do with firearms" are necessary parts of life by any stretch of the imagination. On the other hand, what you do with a car is very much necessary.

Quote:
Thats exactly why they should teach kids NOT to shoot themselves in schools.
True, but in countries where people are not armed, that point is moot.

Quote:
You can't legislate saftey. Either people will be smart (and therefore safe) or they won't. Stupid people can find all sorts of ways to hurt themselves or others, with or without guns.
Guns make it a hell of a lot easier, and on top of that more likely that they'll kill rather than hurt.

Quote:
Secondly, wouldn't you be pissed too if someone told you that you can't have something because you MIGHT do something bad with it? That would be like me saying that you shouldn't be allowed to own a computer, because you might use it pirate movies or music. Nevermind the fact that you've owned computers for X number of years and never done anything illegal with them. You MIGHT do something bad in the future, therefore you have no right to own a computer...
That's as stupid as your previous car argument.

Computers have thousands of uses. Guns are made specifically with the intent of doing harm.

And I'd love to see you try to kill somebody with your computer.

Quote:
I've been shooting for nearly 20 years now. I've never once shot anyone or held up a bank or anything of the sort. Explain to me how taking away my firearms will make the world a safer place?
Because the firearms are made to do harm. Because you can very easily accidentally injure/kill someone with them. Because somebody can steal your firearms from your house when you are away and hurt/kill with them. Because neighbourhood children may get a hold of one of your firearms and hurt/kill someone while playing with them.

Quote:
As long as people are responsible with them, why should anyone care if they have guns?
How can we say that they are responsible?

Quote:
I don't recall anyone sujesting the use of a full auto for home defense... thats just plain stupid, as you've pointed out...
So I suppose you could at least admit that there's no point for a private citizen to own a fully automatic weapon, then? And no I wouldn't take that as your stance slipping.

Quote:
While technology has changed, human nature has not. I believe that the founders wisdom is just as valid today as it was 200 years ago...
As I've already shown, the founders' wisdom is not as valid today as it was 200 years ago. The world is very different from what it was 200 years ago.

Quote:
Actually, I believe on of the reasons that the Japanese didn't invade hawaii or the west coast in WWII was because they knew that the citizens were well armed...
And you have nothing to back it up, so it remains just that: a belief.

Quote:
What if that same meth-head has a knife or bat? And what if I'm a 75 year old granny? Are you saying that a gun wouldn't be a good thing to have in that situation?
How many 75 year old grannies do you know who are gun owners?

Quote:
Also, the Meth-head is already breaking the law. What makes you think he (or she?) would obey a gun law when they won't obey other laws?
If the Meth-head has a gun, then for crying out loud don't put up a fight. You'll only get your dumb ass shot.

Quote:
I think the goverment is more dangerous now than ever before. The current leadership seems determined to take away as many rights as possible in the name of "protecting" us from terrorists...
The government will be replaced in two years, so keep your safety on.

Quote:
I think I said this before, but I'll say it again: I bet the Jews would have fared better in Nazi Germany had they been armed...
That's an interesting bit of "what if".

Quote:
The Vietnamese were not "untrained", let me be the first to tell you that.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 3, 2006 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:03 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 09:03 AM #166 of 276
Quote:
You shouldn't have the right because of the danger it puts you all in.
How does me having the right to own a firearm put everyone in danger?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:07 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 04:07 PM #167 of 276
Originally Posted by Night Phoenix
How does me having the right to own a firearm put everyone in danger?
Because people get shot by firearms.

FELIPE NO
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:08 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 09:08 AM #168 of 276
Quote:
Because people get shot by firearms.
I'm going to have to ask you to try again and this time actually make a connection between the rights of law-abidiing citizens and the fact that people get shot.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:16 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 04:16 PM #169 of 276
There's no need for a connection. People get shot by firearms. It's a simple fact nobody can deny.

Why should anyone have the right to have tanks? People get killed by tanks.

Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:20 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 09:20 AM #170 of 276
Of course no one can or is going to try to deny it....

But as such, you've shown me no compelling reason as to why law-abiding citizens should be stripped of their rights. And given that you've refused to do so, it leaves me to believe that there is no compelling reason why Americans should lose their 2nd Admendment rights other than you simply not liking the fact that people can own firearms.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:34 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 04:34 PM #171 of 276
See, the problem I'm having with this argument is the concept of a "law-abiding citizen". I've already elaborated on it in this thread. There's no common definition of a "law-abiding citizen" and nobody can tell a criminal from a law-abiding citizen before they have actually committed a crime. This is why I think nobody should be allowed to have such a weapon in the first place. I think the chances of abuse outweigh the positive aspects of having a gun by far. Besides, I think a positive aspect can only be achieved with a gun that's never actually fired.

I don't know how you feel about this, but I just couldn't entrust a person with a gun just because they claim to be "law-abiding citizens". There is no scientific way to even prove this, so you're basically argueing to trust random with deadly weapons. I'm just not comfortable with that and will probably never understand where this trust comes from given the relatively high amount of homicides that involve firearms legally purchased by your a law-abiding citizen.

As an example, I wouldn't want to live in a neighbourhood with the thought of guns being stored in every household - no matter how peaceful and trustful this neighbourhood might be. I prefer to be relatively certain that the place I'm living in is just free of guns. Maybe it's just a matter of trust and I don't feel like taking unnecessary risks.

Last edited by Rock; Apr 3, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:15 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 10:15 AM #172 of 276
Quote:
I'm just not comfortable with that and will probably never understand where this trust comes from given the relatively high amount of homicides that involve firearms legally purchased by your a law-abiding citizen.
After combing the thread, could you post up the source that tells you about the 'relatively high amount of homicides that involve firearms that are legally purchased'?

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:20 AM #173 of 276
Originally Posted by Rock
I don't know how you feel about this, but I just couldn't entrust a person with a gun just because they claim to be "law-abiding citizens". There is no scientific way to even prove this, so you're basically argueing to trust random with deadly weapons. I'm just not comfortable with that and will probably never understand where this trust comes from given the relatively high amount of homicides that involve firearms legally purchased by your a law-abiding citizen.
It's the exact oposite of trusting each other. It's distrusting your neighbours, and your government that fuels the desire. It's been argued that they are to protect yourself from the 'bad guys', whether that be criminals, invading armies, or the government. The only person that one can trust is one's self. And even then, we are often wrong. It always brings to mind the statistic about 90%+ of adults believing themselves to be above average inteligence.

I was speaking idiomatically.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:27 AM #174 of 276
Originally Posted by Night Phoenix
I'm going to have to ask you to try again and this time actually make a connection between the rights of law-abidiing citizens and the fact that people get shot.
THE GUN

Suivant-next!

Quote:
But as such, you've shown me no compelling reason as to why law-abiding citizens should be stripped of their rights.
No. You have been shown the reasons and you refuse to accept any of them.

Quote:
And given that you've refused to do so,
Really. Who did?

Quote:
it leaves me to believe that there is no compelling reason why Americans should lose their 2nd Admendment rights other than you simply not liking the fact that people can own firearms.
That's cute.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by ArrowHead; Apr 3, 2006 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Trimming
Night Phoenix
The Last Great Hope™

Member 668

Level 20.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:31 AM Local time: Apr 3, 2006, 10:31 AM #175 of 276
When you show me evidence that me having the right to own a gun causes people to get shot I'll start to consider what you say.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Political Palace > For or against?