Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Simpsons: The Movie

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:05 PM #1 of 69
The Simpsons: The Movie

After reading the recent postings on "The Simpsons" in the Futurama thread, I thought it might be time to discuss the "Simpsons" movie that's been in development for some time.

Some of the first real information on the project was revealed on this page over at Soundtrack.net, which confirms that Hans Zimmer is set to score the movie. Other, more unreliable information can be found here, at IMDB.

I've long held that "The Simpsons" has long jumped the shark; the new episodes are pale shadows of the old ones that manage just a few giggles apiece and are shameless in attemtping to revise the series' continuity or shamelessly cram guest stars into the roster. Despite watcing since 1996, I haven't seen the show regularly since 2003, and I had noticed the quality decile as early as early as 2000.

This film project represents the last chance for the series to redeem itself. If a big-screen product manages to capture the spark that the show already had, while perhaps updating it to compete with edgier shows, I can see a "Simpsons" film as much like the "South Park" feature--a success.

On the other hand, if the film is an extension of the series' current trends, I can see it as a bloated, celebrity-laden disaster that finally buries the show and scatters its core constituancy.

I have to say, though, that the announcement of Zimmer as the composer fills me with horror. Alf Clausen has worked on the show for 13 years; why not allow him to score the big screen version? OR why not get Danny Elfman, who wrote the theme? Having 800 people write 20 secs apiece and slapping Zimmer's name on it seems a step in the wrong direction.

Discuss.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:26 PM #2 of 69
I can see Hanz Zimmer making a good score for the movie, but then again, Elfman could also make some good songs.

As for the movie itself, I've been wanted to see in theatres for like the last 10 years, but I guess they haven't been able to do something major yet. I want to see some previews or spoilers or something so that I can see the plot. With South Park, just about anything would work, but with The Simpsons...err.... I don't know. I'm guessing Homer gets a job with the president somehow.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:52 PM #3 of 69
I've yet to hear a Danny Elfman soundtrack that doesn't have at least one track with a chorus of little kids going "ooooooh". maybe I have and I just forgot about it. whatever.
I will see this movie in a heartbeat, as I feel the Simpsons has definately gotten better with recent seasons.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:50 PM #4 of 69
I wonder if a live-action Simpsons could ever be successful...

What I like most about some of the more recent plots is when the episoded ends somewhere almost completely different from it started. Given two hours, I'm sure the writers could include all kinds of twists and turns.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:57 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 05:57 PM #5 of 69
I doubt the movie will be anything that special. The show did so well after so many years that people don't expect too much from it but just watch it as some sort of ritual.

I can't see them having any motivation for making it a great and hilarious movie. Just Homer going "D'oh" would make thousands of americans flock to theaters. The simpsons are like a religion, even in its most worst episodes, people will still love and praise it so I can't see them going the extra mile to make it a wonderful film.

Most amazing jew boots
Phatcorns
Chocobo

Member 531

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:09 AM #6 of 69
Two things, fuck anyone who thinks this movie is going to be good, and fuck anyone who thinks the show is still good.

The current writers on there should be kicked in the nuts and should have to pay me to watch the current show. I could honestly write a better show than the pig swill they've got on air right now.

Oh, and the teaser was pure shit too. So fucking stupid and Homer's line was "I forgot what I was going to say". Right, whatever the fuck you say Homer.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Phatcorns; Apr 7, 2006 at 09:34 PM.
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 03:44 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 02:44 AM #7 of 69
Originally Posted by joshi
I've yet to hear a Danny Elfman soundtrack that doesn't have at least one track with a chorus of little kids going "ooooooh". maybe I have and I just forgot about it. whatever.
I will see this movie in a heartbeat, as I feel the Simpsons has definately gotten better with recent seasons.
"definately" heh.

It's called the Pee Wee's Big Adventure Soundtrack... no chorus of "oooohs."

I'm just hoping that the writers have stocked away all the best unused material for this movie. When is the series supposed to wrap up?

FELIPE NO
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 04:41 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 02:41 AM #8 of 69
Originally Posted by Phatcorns
Two things, fuck anyone who thinks this movie is going to be good, and fuck anyone who thinks the show is still good.

The current writers on there should be kicked in the nuts and should have to pay me to watch the current show. I could honestly write a better show than the pig swill they've got on air right now.

Oh, and the trailer was pure shit too. So fucking stupid and Homer's line was "I forgot what I was going to say". Right, whatever the fuck you say Homer.
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck Simpsons fuck fuck fuck. Shit.

Anyway, yeah, the trailer is a bit lacking, but I'm sure the movie will turn out to be entertaining at the very least. I wonder how many times they're going to play the guest star card on this one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Six Machine
Let's have activities!

Member 1127

Level 9.94

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 10:47 AM #9 of 69
I doubt I'll see this. I haven't watched the Simpsons in years. A Futurama movie on the other hand....

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 05:54 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 04:54 PM #10 of 69
Originally Posted by Phatcorns
Oh, and the trailer was pure shit too. So fucking stupid and Homer's line was "I forgot what I was going to say". Right, whatever the fuck you say Homer.
It wasn't a trailer, it was a teaser. They haven't really done that much animation (if any) for the movie yet, so it would be kinda hard for them to make a real trailer yet. This was just meant to tell everyone who somehow didn't already know it was coming that it's coming out, along with telling everyone the release date.

Most amazing jew boots
Phatcorns
Chocobo

Member 531

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:34 PM #11 of 69
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
It wasn't a trailer, it was a teaser. They haven't really done that much animation (if any) for the movie yet, so it would be kinda hard for them to make a real trailer yet. This was just meant to tell everyone who somehow didn't already know it was coming that it's coming out, along with telling everyone the release date.
Yes, teaser. I will edit that.

Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:48 AM #12 of 69
I'm just glad the series will be over after the movie is done. I'm a long time Simpsons fan and I agree that it has been suffering a steady decline in quality over the past few seasons. Better that it bow out now rather then keep it going for another 5 years and have it shrivel up and die without anyone noticing.

Originally Posted by Six Machine
A Futurama movie on the other hand....
seconded, I love that show.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Baaah~
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:42 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 10:42 AM #13 of 69
When did they say that the series would be over after the movie?

I was speaking idiomatically.

vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:49 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 11:49 AM #14 of 69
Oh, I seriously hope it ends. It just got worse and worse each episode.

I remember when I usually rushed to the channel Sunday Nights to see the show but now I'll just skip it and watch something else. Sometimes I can't even get a chuckle out of watching the show.

Now that Family Guy is on, it can carry the FOX Sunday spotlight.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:00 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 12:00 PM #15 of 69
Originally Posted by Fire on Ice
I'm just glad the series will be over after the movie is done.
Actually, it won't be. The show was renewed for two more seasons, meaning one will start this fall and run until next summer, then the movie will come out, and then another season will air the following fall. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were still more seasons after that.

FELIPE NO
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 01:07 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 01:07 PM #16 of 69
Darn, oh well. It's still watchable but it's not a 'must see' show anymore.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 12:18 PM #17 of 69
even if the movie was just put on tv as a special... I can't say I'd watch it. Simpsons went downhill a long time ago.

FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 10:26 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:26 PM #18 of 69
The thing is, we don't know if it's a movie that isn't thought out well and just sells because of it's popularity

Or if it's a movie that they really try on.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2006, 01:38 AM #19 of 69
I just hope that they have kept all the good jokes that weren't used in the last couple of seasons to make the movie.

I know the latest seasons (starting from the second half of the tenth season) weren't on-par with the first few seasons, but they're closing in on their 20th seasons now. They have to do shows about a family more than 20 times per year.

They should've stopped sooner, but at least the writers are still trying. Still, at least two episodes each year are very good.

The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 04:26 PM #20 of 69
New trailer is out, had me laughing :doh:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/th...movie/trailer/

Most amazing jew boots

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:41 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 08:41 AM #21 of 69
Spoiler:

Awesome.

I was speaking idiomatically.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:44 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 04:44 PM #22 of 69
Better build up here then the other trailer, although I still see they're going with the "how much more stupid yet somehow invincible can we make homer look"

edit:

Originally Posted by vuigun
I doubt the movie will be anything that special. The show did so well after so many years that people don't expect too much from it but just watch it as some sort of ritual.

I can't see them having any motivation for making it a great and hilarious movie. Just Homer going "D'oh" would make thousands of americans flock to theaters. The simpsons are like a religion, even in its most worst episodes, people will still love and praise it so I can't see them going the extra mile to make it a wonderful film.
True that but that's not just true for simpsons, that's true for everything on the planet to ever have fanboys. Once they're hooked I swear their brains just switch off, and you know what they say you can't spell fanatic without fan...

Last edited by S_K; Nov 16, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:09 PM #23 of 69
Here alone is why The Simpsons movie will be successful regardless of the people blasting it in this thread:

You've watched it for years, despite its recent shortcomings (which I agree exist), and millions of people still watch it every week. It wouldn't still be on the air and they wouldn't still plan on making more episodes if they weren't getting the viewership.

FELIPE NO

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 07:32 PM #24 of 69
I like how this trailer is What Has Been Wrong With The Simpsons Since Season 10 in a nutshell.

I also like how they say "in 2D" and it's full of 3D effects.

Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:06 PM #25 of 69
I was a big fan of The Simpsons back in 1989-1994. I collected The Simpsons magazines, Bart comic books, the Nintendo game and a couple of sweaters. The show was hilarious back then. I loved the good-feel environment too and especially the Halloween specials. Then, too many people started exaggerating and all of a sudden, the show didn't feel that special anymore. I haven't watched The Simpsons in a long time and I personally don't care about the movie all that much. It'll probably have a bunch of new fans talking about The Simpsons as if they've known the show forever. Whatever. The Simpsons had their time, but now they're dull.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Simpsons: The Movie