Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Suggestions on a new TV

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:08 PM #1 of 10
Suggestions on a new TV

I currently have a Samsung TX R2765 27" CRT flat screen TV. Still in pretty good shape but I'd like to upgrade to a widescreen flat-panel TV.

The size can be anywhere between at least 46 inches to 55 inches.

I'll mostly be using it for gaming, watching anime, and watching videos from my computer via the component output from my video card (which will get upgraded to a vid card that has hdmi output). Of course I'll be watching the usual channels especially football and hockey (whenever that starts).

I'm leaning towards Plasma since I've read that's what is best for gaming and since my viewing angle to my current TV most of the time is around a 45 degree angle. I might consider LED, though.

Requirements: 3D, 1080p, Ethernet Port, 1 VGA Input.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:21 PM #2 of 10
Is it really THAT worth it to get? I'm pretty sure you could save a nice handful of money without that feature.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:11 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2011, 07:11 AM #3 of 10
Plasma tends to handle SD signals better (<720p), but is heavy and is fucked if it smacks into things.

LCD is light, but doesn't do lower resolutions quite as well.

LED is extremely thin and does true blacks (individual pixels shutting off is awesome). Handles lower resolutions better than LCD, but not as well as Plasma. More expensive than the other two, but sexier! Most 3D tvs are LED.

LCD will be replaced by LED LCD (yes, LED TVs are still LCDs). Plasma may stick around a bit, until LEDs truly mature.

Additional Spam:
If you're looking for brand suggestions, I've really become a fan of the Samsung line of TVs lately. They've really proven to be durable and nice looking. I, personally, have a Westinghouse 37" LCD right now, but want to upgrade to a Samsung LED sometime in the not so near future.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka

Last edited by LIAR; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:59 AM Local time: Aug 23, 2011, 09:59 AM #4 of 10
lower resolutions
This has more to do with the processors for scaling and deinterlacing in the TV itself, and varies more from brand to brand than from technology type to technology type.

If you're going to be using old systems on the thing, get something like this: Simplay Labs - DVDO Systems

Built in scalers tend to have shitfits with 240p, for several really long and overly technical reasons that probably don't need to be gotten into.

Plasma has practically no burn in anymore but still has image retention, which is non-permanent but only really an issue if you have a static image up a LOT, like a discovery channel logo or something for several hours a day. If you run the thing through it's paces during the break-in period though you shouldn't have much to worry about

Quote:
Additional Spam:
If you're looking for brand suggestions, I've really become a fan of the Samsung line of TVs lately. They've really proven to be durable and nice looking. I, personally, have a Westinghouse 37" LCD right now, but want to upgrade to a Samsung LED sometime in the not so near future.
I'd suggest against Samsung. But that's just me and my experiences with them. Awful build quality that lasts a year if you're lucky.

Panasonic's GT30 line has 3D, and generally is awesome. Go that route if you're so inclined.

Edit: Also, rearrange your furniture. 45 degree viewing angle is just being ridiculous. It'll be a pain in the ass with 3D too.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2011, 05:44 PM #5 of 10
Get a Panasonic model with an IPS display. It's LCD with an LED backlight, great black levels and 178 degree viewing angles. Picture looks better than my $2000 NEC MultiSync. Samsung TVs in my experience are unreliable, and five minutes of Googling will explain why. Just Google "Samsung power supply problems".

I was speaking idiomatically.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 06:11 PM #6 of 10
Is it really THAT worth it to get? I'm pretty sure you could save a nice handful of money without that feature.
I figured since I'm upgrading that I may as well get it. It seems like more games are trying to incorporate that feature.

Edit: Also, rearrange your furniture. 45 degree viewing angle is just being ridiculous. It'll be a pain in the ass with 3D too.
It's because I'm at my computer most of the time. Most of the time when I'm gaming, I switch over to the couch or just roll my computer chair in front of the tv.

Also, after looking at a chart regarding tv size and distance it looks like the max has been reduced to 50". Still leaning towards Plasma since the Samsung upstairs in the living room has been awesome. I've become a Samsung freak lately so I may go that route but still keeping an open mind to other brands like Panasonic, Vizio, and LG.

I currently have a lot of my older systems unhooked. The only ones that are still up from before this generation are the XBox, PS2, Dreamcast, and Sega Genesis/CD. The Dreamcast is the reason I'm looking for the VGA input, I have the box that will output the signal.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. I'm hoping to grab something by the end of this month or next month, not sure if I can hold off until Black Friday.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:29 PM Local time: Aug 24, 2011, 06:29 PM #7 of 10
If you're going plasma, you want a panasonic. Period. End discussion.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:19 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2011, 07:19 AM #8 of 10
Panasonic is alright. Nearly every TV in our office is a Samsung and they all work great and look great. Most of the monitors in my house are also Samsung and same story there.

Really I just tell people to avoid Sony, since they're overpriced.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:43 PM Local time: Aug 26, 2011, 01:43 PM #9 of 10
Love my Samsung LCD TV and monitors, though I have to say their support for firmware updates is a little frustrating. One of the main reasons I had purchased my TV was because they promised to add Netflix and a bunch of other widgets to it, but they never did any of it (this was before I owned a 360).

TV's great, though. Changes channels pretty fast and the remote's laid out well enough you don't need to look at it to find the buttons you want. Also A++ picture and gaming mode makes it so latency isn't an issue.

Finally, you could always just rotate your TV when you're sitting at your computer. Newer TVs are pretty light, so you can do it without too much trouble using just one hand.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:53 PM #10 of 10
Well through all of the suggestions and research, I've narrowed it down to 8 possibilities: 3 Plasma and 5 LED 4 possibilities: 2 Plasma and 2 LED. I've noted what was required as well as the extra perks that come with it:

1st choice:

UN46D8000YF

Samsung - 46" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D / HDTV - Silver

Instant Content: Netflix, Skype, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blockbuster, Hulu Plus, ConnectShare and ESPN

HDMI Ports: 4
Component: 1
Composite: 0
PC: 1
Ethernet: Yes
3D-Ready: Yes

Warranty: 1 year

Remote Control: QWERTY
AM/FM Tuner: Yes
Simulated Surround: Yes

Regular Price: $2,799.99
Best Buy: $1,799.99
Amazon.com via Paul's TV: $1,499.97

2nd choice (tie):

TC-P50GT30

Panasonic - VIERA 50" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: CinemaNow, Napster, Facebook, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Alphaline, USTREAM, Break.com, SHOUTcast, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, AP, accuWeather, Dow Jones, Bodymedia, Digital River, Accedo (games) and AIM (games)

Component: 1
Composite: 1
Internet Connectable: Yes

Regular Price: $1,899.95
Best Buy: $1,199.98
Sears: $1,199.99
Amazon.com: $1,074.96

2nd choice (tie):

PN51D8000F

Samsung - 51" Class / Plasma / 1080p / 600Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: Netflix, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Skype

Component: 2
Composite: 1

Regular Price: $2,299.98
Best Buy: $1,899.98
Sears: $1,878.91
Amazon.com via Paul's TV: $1,499.25

4th choice:

47LW6500

LG - INFINIA / 47" Class / LED / 1080p / 240Hz / 3D / HDTV

Instant Content: Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, MLB.com, Facebook and more

Component: 2
Composite: 0
RF: 1

AM/FM Tuner: Yes
Simulated Surround: Yes
Remote: Magic Motion

Regular Price: $1,639.99
Best Buy: $1,189.99
Amazon.com: $1,111.54

Has anyone had any experience with the above TV's or the LG TV's in general? They seem to be on sale for less than some of the Samsung and Panasonic, but I have no idea how reliable they are. Both of my monitors are Samsung as is my old TV and they've been pretty good to me. I haven't bought much Panasonic stuff, but I don't recall them being bad.

I'm waiting for Labor Day weekend and opening kickoff weekend to see if any of these drop more in price.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Sep 3, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Suggestions on a new TV