Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Starcraft 2 - Now with more gratuitous pylon construction.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:56 PM Local time: Apr 11, 2010, 09:56 PM #26 of 40
lol Blizzard. So what is the timetable for the other two starcraft II's after the first Terran one comes out? Is it really like every year, or does that mean three more years once this one finally comes out. What is a Blizzard year anyway? 3 years?

I might wait until Diablo 3 (hopefully around April 2011!) until I get a new gaming computer, so I will probably pass on this for the time being.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:31 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 12:31 PM #27 of 40
Well, I hope it won't take quite that long. Perhaps we can look at the time lag between Starcraft and Brood Wars, which is around six months.

If I am reading this correctly, the reason they've taken so long (development started in 2003) is to nail down the multiplayer balance aspects. Once Wings of Liberty is released, it shouldn't take as long to create the single-play campaign content (and campaigns are unbalanced anyway).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:59 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 10:59 AM #28 of 40
I think they're just trying to beat Too Human's record for most time spent in development for a single game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2010, 06:44 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 07:44 PM #29 of 40
Ehhh, for that record, no one can ever beat Duke Nukem Forever

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2010, 07:23 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2010, 01:23 PM 1 #30 of 40
DNF can't have the record until it's actually released though, otherwise the record would be held by the computer game I decided to make when I was six and have yet to complete.

Too be fair though, I doubt Silicon Knights actually spent much more than a year working on Too Human, the other nine years were spent in court arguing over IPs and crappy engines.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:05 PM #31 of 40
Got my invite today. I haven't really kept up with the beta so a lot of things were new to me once I got it up and running.

The game is incredibly fast paced... faster than SC in my opinion. Minerals fly in so fast sometimes you are half wondering what you can do with all of it but once you get accustomed, you'll probably have some build orders to handle the excess minerals. I had excess in comparison to the original SC.

I play Protoss so naturally when I first got SC2, I screamed MY LIFE FOR AIUR and played my first game as Protoss.
Someone else in another thread here mentioned how they did not like how the "You require more minerals" message was displayed on the left side. That I agree. I prefer the messages placed in the middle of the screen.

The beta comes with the option of playing against the AI alone so I did that first to get accustomed to new UI and tech trees. Also, in the beta, everything is done online so you had to create a custom game like you would in SC/WC series and then set the opposing slot as AI. When you start the game, there's a countdown of 10 seconds but it seems the countdown is supposedly in sync with Battle.net. My countdowns often go down in a manner where there is a slight out-of-sync that causes the client to go up a notch or down fast (10..9..8..7..6..5.4.5..4..321). Also as I go through the list of maps, it seems that you must down the maps from Blizzard as they were not pre-installed along with the client installation which I found a bit weird. The maps ranged from 1Mb to 4Mb in size as what I saw but I did not go through every map.

On the topic of game pacing, minerals, as mentioned earlier, are harvested faster than before thus it is a lot more natural to have a larger amount of harvesters working in the mineral field than you would be accustomed to in the original. There are also two vespene geysers at the starting location so pumping out gas is a lot easier if you have the resources to invest in both. Protoss Sentries cost 100 gas so depending on how many you want to pump out to complement your initial army, the extra gas may come in handy.

The AI was set to very easy by default... funny thing is that it was indeed very easy. No expansions, some tech but small standing army. Also when the computer knows that it is game over for it, the AI will say gg in chat.

For music and sound, initially I found it a bit difficult to hear some of the voices of my units when either clicked on them and when I gave them an order. I tried adjusting my volume but it did not seem to work very well. I am not sure what exactly was overshadowing the unit sounds but whatever it was, I just could not hear the voices very well. What I did hear was the music. Protoss initially only had 1 track so I expect more in the release. Terran has 5 tracks (excluding main theme which was mostly terran with a little protoss) while Zerg has 6 tracks.

Of course... all this is one first impression after 1 game so I expect my opinion to change somewhat as I play more.

Most amazing jew boots
Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Randi
You may be a sinner but your innocence is mine

Member 33495

Level 7.28

Apr 2009

Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:44 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2010, 10:44 PM #32 of 40
damn you had to post all that huh i cant read all that jesus none of it was useful

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:55 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2010, 10:55 AM #33 of 40
Quote:
Also when the computer knows that it is game over for it, the AI will say gg in chat.
Please tell me the AI also goes "GOGOGOEKEKEKEKE" if you don't start the match immediately upon setting one of the players as a computer.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:43 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2010, 09:43 PM #34 of 40
Anyone know where I can manually download the patch? The bullshit Blizzard Downloader forces me to upload while downloading, killing my Internet speed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Dance party!
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:33 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2010, 01:33 AM #35 of 40
Amazon.com is supposedly offering beta codes for people who pre-order Wings of Liberty.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2010, 08:37 PM #36 of 40
Release date announced:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:15 AM #37 of 40
Game releases on Tuesday. Blizzard treated us to a final "reward" an epic Starcraft 2 trailer:

Starcraft II - Ghosts of the Past

With all the money they'll pull in with Starcraft 2 and they already do with WoW, makes me wish ActiBlizz would make full length CG movies of both series.

I was speaking idiomatically.

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:23 AM #38 of 40
Got mine pre-ordered. Can't wait!

Now if I could just get out of that habit of playing all RTS games like they were Sim City...

Most amazing jew boots
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:24 AM #39 of 40
2 and a half year bump why? Expansion: Heart of the Swarm comes out in March.

Here's the opening Cinematic!

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Cinematic

Kinda wish we'd get another epic one like the Ghosts of the Past trailer closer to launch.

And here's a trailer that shows some of what's changed from Wings of Liberty to Heart of the Swarm

Heart of the Swarm New Features

time to get your Zerg Rush on.

FELIPE NO

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:34 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2013, 03:34 AM #40 of 40
Widow mines OP. I'm still laughing at the fact that they can't make terran mech viable, even combining the armor, etc.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Starcraft 2 - Now with more gratuitous pylon construction.