Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 01:37 PM #26 of 48
Angelo is a priest. Paladin really would've made more sense, but I figure they may be trying to stick to base classes. At least for early visitors.

Aw, I want to have my ass handed to me by Estark. I skimmed a list of "Legacy" bosses last night and they seem to have at least one from every game. Considering I still can't beat a powered-up Slime Knight who calls in King Cureslimes it'll be awhile before I could take down any former final bosses.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:11 PM #27 of 48
I guess my main character has to be a priest then, since I've already got one in my party.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:16 PM #28 of 48
I stopped by Best Buy today and got their map (Estark), and picked up more tags, bringing my total up to 9. The inn is improved, but though I've tried several times, Angelo won't give me his fourth item. What job class do you need for the third item, anyway?

I also got some nifty stickers:

I got the stickers today too. Also got a swell poster when I got the map too :3

(sorry for piss poor quality, my phone sucks.)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 05:51 PM #29 of 48
They had the poster (and t-shirts) too, but I wasn't offered either. The poster wasn't that great, and gaming t-shirts never fit the target audience.

Edit: Reading the CAG thread, it appears you need 30 tags to get the bonus loot from the visitor.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by nuttyturnip; Aug 7, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:01 PM #30 of 48
God damn it, I thought the Best Buy thing was just a map, I didn't know there'd be goodies, fuuuuck.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:20 PM #31 of 48
Just picked up a copy of this myself from that K-Mart deal where you get Spirit Choo-Choo for free.

Haven't really bitten into it yet, but definitely excited to try.

FELIPE NO
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2010, 01:35 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2010, 01:35 PM #32 of 48
Yeah, I was at both the Gamestop event last week and the Best Buy event. Those maps are HARD - you'll easily get yourself pummeled without serious leveling and good equipment. Still a work in progress for me, that...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:28 PM #33 of 48
I think it sucks that the DQVC stuff is random. I only got a slime shield the first day and the rest of the time it's been stuff like Birthday Cakes (3 days in a row) and alchemy mats like Ice Crystals.

At least grinding on the Goldman (Gold Golems) outside Gleeba is profitable! I've got a few of the 1000g selling fodder coins from them.

Most amazing jew boots

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:05 PM #34 of 48
Lucky. I bought a Slime Shield the first day, but I only need one of those. I'd love to get some ice crystals to help make some Enchanted Stones.

Most amazing jew boots
thesleeper
Carob Nut

Member 1825

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:24 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2010, 11:24 AM #35 of 48
Sup.

i dont suppose the DQVC shop is random for different players is it? i havent had enough people around me on DQIX to check.

quick question guys: is it true that you'll automatically max all skills when you get lv99 for all classes on any character?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:43 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2010, 09:43 PM #36 of 48
Sup.

i dont suppose the DQVC shop is random for different players is it? i havent had enough people around me on DQIX to check.

quick question guys: is it true that you'll automatically max all skills when you get lv99 for all classes on any character?
Each time you access it you pull from a weighted pool of items, so yes each player has unique contents every refresh.

No, but that's what revocation is for.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:00 AM #37 of 48
I think he was saying if you get level 99 on all twelve classes, will you have maxed out everything by then.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:24 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2010, 12:24 AM #38 of 48
In which case you'd have everything maxed except two skill lines and would be forced to revocate to get the last 200 SP, kinda like I assumed he meant in the first place yes.

Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:25 AM Local time: Sep 7, 2010, 11:25 AM #39 of 48
Wow, Squeenix are really plugging the game in the UK... must be 4 or 5 different ads on all the time. Not that that's a bad thing, FF are established as a popular mainstream series, why not DQ? Am seriously considering buying this.

Most amazing jew boots
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:45 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2010, 11:45 AM #40 of 48
The amount of end-game content is ridiculous, and the DQVC makes it practically episodic in nice little bite sized pieces.

Totally go for it.

Most amazing jew boots
Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:09 PM Local time: Sep 12, 2010, 08:09 PM #41 of 48
Hmmm... well I don't ask for much for my birthdays any more, so I'm thinking the missus can buy me something I want for a change!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:07 AM #42 of 48
Speaking of endgame content, how about those grottos? Tons of them, and once you get up to the high level ones they can take forever to thoroughly explore for chests since the thief's abilities don't work in the one place you need them to. So here's a handy tool that I came across which makes finding what you need significantly easier, and here's the thread it came from that gives a rundown of chest rank contents and a description of how to use that Japanese site.

Essentially, you put in the name and level of the map, select its map coordinates (clicking on them brings up a picture of the location), and it tells you how many of each rank chest is in the grotto. Not only that, but you can bring up a crude map of every floor indicating the locations of the stairs and chests. It does take some of the fun out of exploration, but some of the grottos are so huge and empty that there comes a time when you just want to find some Metal Slime equipment.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:46 AM #43 of 48
I'm working on the grottos now, as well. I find myself going back to the earlier ones to see if I can get different maps from the same grotto. I think the highest level one I have is like level 30-ish. I'm still sporting (for the most part) the same gear I had when I completed the main story. Really want to make some of those sweet end weapons and armors but I don't have the funds to get those chrono crystals at 50k a pop

This week in DQVC is Dragon Warrior (Quest) 3 week. Haven't really seen anything "must have" but I've been buying stuff incase it can be alchemized into better, later.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:36 PM #44 of 48
Getting higher level grotto maps can be a pain in the ass since it's essentially random with a formula to determine just how random. It goes off of your main character's highest level class, the number of times he's revocated in one class multiplied by five, and the level/quality of the map you just completed. Then there's a fairly wide +/- margin. So basically, level up your main character and keep doing your highest level grottos.

I was stuck in the 20's and then the 40's forever, but one map can shoot you up 20 levels. My highest maps are 81 and 83 at the moment. I really want to get a Greygnarl map so that I can get the Dragonlord legacy map off of him. In the meantime I'm just raiding for Metal Slime gear (need those damn sollerets for one of the 2 non-DLC quests I have left) and rare boss drops since I figured out the Hoimi trick this morning. Not as hard as I'd originally thought.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:47 PM #45 of 48
Yeah I need those sollerets and so I went to the guide and saw that they were were not alchemized. Threw a fit, raged a little. When it subsided I just tried to grind out grottoes :|

I'm just so sick of fighting Shogum or when the game wants to be a massive faggot and have Nemean disruptive wave everytime I get buffed up.

Baramos beat my ass silly when I fought him.

Oh and I dunno about everyone else, but that Estark's map thing. The guy who gave the map to me at best buy must have beefed him up a few times, because I get the floor wiped with me when I fought him. my main guy is a warrior and he hit Estark for 70 while Estark just murdered everyone with kafrizz in almost one shot :\ and my characters are like 56, 53, 56 and 24 (changed the profession to Sage from Mage)

How ya doing, buddy?

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:31 PM #46 of 48
If Baramos beats your ass then don't bother trying other legacy bosses like Estark. He's by far the weakest, though he has a pretty crazy critical hit rate to balance that out. So far I've taken down Baramos, Murdaw, and Dhoulmagus. According to that grotto calculator Greygnarl is the boss of the map I just got, so I'll be able to fight the Dragonlord, Psaro, and Nimzo before having to wait on DLC quests.

Oh, and if you think Nemean is a bitch with Disruptive Wave you'll have fun with Sir Sanguinus and Excalipurr. They like to cast it pretty much every turn.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:47 AM #47 of 48
Baramos was fine then all the sudden he turned all super cena on me and hit mad crazy crits and started going before my priest could cast multiheal. I just sat there dumbfounded. I'll try to get some more gear made and try him again. Right now my hero is sporting Erdrick's Sword and that upgraded mirror armor.

FELIPE NO

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:32 AM #48 of 48
Erdrick's Sword is one of the strongest, but I find the Uber Falcon Blade is much better at dishing out damage. Uber Falcon Blade + Falcon Slash + Oomph + Frost Fource = 4 powerful hits all at once. Not to mention if you get lucky and tension boost up to 50 or 100 with the Gladiator's coup de grace, because then each of those 4 attacks will do around 1600 damage.

Be sure to get the Aliahan clothes and boots from Baramos too. They're some of the strongest defensive equipment I've found. For some reason the Somnia gear from Murdaw and the Trodain gear from Dhoulmagus are both slightly weaker. Even the Alefgard Boots from the Dragonlord are a point or two weaker than Aliahan Boots.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies