Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Removable? hard drive

neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 12:43 AM #1 of 5
Removable? hard drive

I've recently bought a brand new HD, installed and formatted it. Actually, a friend of mine did the installation, but I looked over his shoulder, and everything was cool.
I now have two hard drives. The new one has been long formatted, and stores data fine.

Now, my problem is this:

That is an option to safely remove an internal hard drive. Maybe I'm just insane, but that shouldn't be happening. It's a SATA 2 HD, and it was properly connected to the mobo and the power supply.

Any ideas as to why I can "safely remove" an internal hard drive?
It's more a question of me accidentally clicking on it and stuff going berserk than it not working correctly right now. The drive, to the best of my knowledge, is behaving as it should. I've already put some files on it, and they load just fine.

*shrugs*
Have at it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 12:21 AM #2 of 5
I would imagine that the software drivers that were installed with the drive have hot-swap capability which is common with SATA. In basic terms, that means youre hard is made to be able to unplug and then plug back in again with out any problem while the computer is on.

What this means for you since the drive is internal is that you shouldn't "safely remove" the drive. If you do however, don't worry you won't/shouldn't lose data. Rebooting your computer would bring the drive back to operation automatically. So I wouldn't worry about it, just use the drive and dont "safely remove" it. If you happen to accidentally do so (safely removing require 3 mouse clicks), then reboot. If that doesn't work, come back here and I will formally apologize.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:56 AM #3 of 5
Oh, cool. Thank you kindly for the swift reply.
I just don't understand why someone would want to unplug and move their drive around inside the case ... while the computer is on. Perhaps SATA HDs are meant for servers, where installing/moving motherboard components while the system is running is common.

Sweet, now the only thing that remains is to remove that icon. It's kind of annoying.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 08:41 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 07:41 AM #4 of 5
If you only use that and don't use or plan on using any USB/firewire external hard drives, flash drives, or memory card readers, you can right click the icon, choose "unplug or eject hardware" and uncheck the "show unplug/eject icon in the system tray.

Granted if you're running XP, it's much less fussy about ejecting the previously mentioned hardware than if you're using 2000. 2000 whines if you just pull it out without using that icon first. XP generally doesn't care.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 05:34 PM #5 of 5
Some motherboards support external SATA drives, so I would imagine that the drivers would allow you to plug an E-SATA straight into the back of the motheboard, just like mine.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Removable? hard drive