Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

External hard drive

lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:36 AM #1 of 7
External hard drive

So, I have a laptop that stopped charging, and it was my primary computer for over a year, so I had a lot of stuff on it. I decided I would try to hook it up to an external casing so I could access it via USB. No luck -- apparently the external casing wants me to format the drive to gain access to it. That is decidedly not useful, seeing as I want to keep all the data on it. Seeing as my laptop is pretty much dead, anyone have any ideas how I could gain access to the data on the drive?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 02:27 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 12:27 AM #2 of 7
Yeah, since it's still got all your OS data and everything on it, just slapping it in an external enclosure isn't going to work.

Do you have an AC adapter for your laptop? Most allow you to run off the AC adapter if the battery is dead, so why not just do that, buy a HD for your enclosure and then transfer the data to it?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:52 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 09:52 PM #3 of 7
Or better yet, buy a new battery

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:33 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 08:33 AM #4 of 7
that's interesting... you can't access it externally? i've connected the root drive of many laptops to this external case several times without fail for the same reason: to pull data off it, usually because corrupted system files prevented the OS from booting up correctly. i wouldn't think the maker of the case would matter much, but which one are you using, and i could suggest the one i use once i get back home.

but yeah, as galen said, you should be able to run off the ac adapter for now anyway.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
QuarX
Jackofalltrades masterof1

Member 2308

Level 5.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:22 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 09:52 PM #5 of 7
Try drive recovery tools like testdisk or suchlike if you cant get alternate power.

How ya doing, buddy?
I'm just a collection of hypothetical particles...
lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 09:14 PM #6 of 7
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, but the laptop doesn't charge. I do have the AC adapter but it does not power the laptop anymore. I believe there is something wrong with the internal piece it plugs into. I've been quoted like $500-700 dollars for repairing it. I just don't want to spend that kind of money on the laptop, I could just put it toward a new one. But I would like to get the data off of the drive. The enclosure I tried to use was Transcend brand. I wouldn't mind trying the specific brand you mentioned that apparently lets you get the data off of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
QuarX
Jackofalltrades masterof1

Member 2308

Level 5.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2007, 01:36 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2007, 12:06 PM #7 of 7
I think any enclosure will ask you to format it, you'll need a SW which can snoop into the drive, recognize the partitions/filesystems and reactivate them, or suck the data off. One such good SW is testdisk which I've used with successfull results (best thing is that it doesn't destroy data unless you specifically ask it to.)

Most amazing jew boots
I'm just a collection of hypothetical particles...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > External hard drive