Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Lets Draw!

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:34 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 07:34 PM #1 of 56
Lets Draw!

Do you draw? How often do you draw, and how long do you usually spend on each drawing? Do you doodling for fun? What types of drawings do you draw? Do you sketch? Do you draw from life or do you look at something and draw it?

I am interesting to see how many people doodle here, even though not all of us are very good in art or have the mean to post our stuff, but I think most of us can agree that "the act of doodling/drawing/sketching" are a helloto fun.

I am thinking about starting something of a topical/theme based doodling/sketching/drawing thread(?) around here. The type that doesn't require sign up, and everyone can just jump in and participate.

Each week, someone come up with a topic or theme that we can base a drawing or design, or even other forms of art like writing and composing on the theme/topic, and we post it in a thread for all to see.

I want to have something casual, but mainly to get people interested in without having to subscribe to a obligation. If they happened to draw something, they could just jump it with it. I think it would be fun, but I am trying to gauge the turn out for something like this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:54 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 09:54 PM #2 of 56
I'm not very good at drawing, but I do enjoy it very much! I usually do the good ol' "looking at another picture" technique, since I can't really visualize anything in my head. This means I mainly do fanart. Typically, each drawing takes around 6 hours if I actually spend time shading.

I also find myself dooding. The results are always terrible, but it's a great way to make time go by faster. I have this horrible habit of making my lines "fluffy" because I can't draw a line in one motion.

Your idea sounds great. I'd be very much interested in participating, especially since it's a casual type of thing.

How ya doing, buddy?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:30 PM #3 of 56
I wouldn't mind doing something like that. Gives me something to do to get the creative juices flowing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 09:47 PM #4 of 56
I'll post whatever i'm working on or have doodled on a weekly basis. If somebody picks a theme then cool, if not, we should just post whatever comes out. I would suggest everybody drawing out of your head instead of doing fan art or whatever. We wanna see you, and your creations. If they're not that great, they'll only get better with practice.

Most amazing jew boots
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:00 PM #5 of 56
This seems interesting.

Out of curiosity, how do you suggest weekly themes would be introduced? I assume that once one theme is over, another person would come up with a new one. There should be some sort of method where people take turns. This way, one person’s new theme suggestion won’t be lost in the middle of an already-established theme week.

I'll sticky the thread as soon as more people contribute other ideas and suggestions.

I was speaking idiomatically.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 11:07 PM #6 of 56
Maybe we could just get a list of people who want to contribute a theme, and randomly assign them dates. (Hah, ChocoDecide would have been nice for this) Or, perhaps, it could be in the order that the people signed up in.

Now, are the previous threads going to be closed after a new theme is suggested? I'm guessing that closing previous themes would shut people out of their chance of posting a late drawing.

Maybe event could be run like the War of the Words in a separate sub-forum so that we can have multiple themes going on. This way, you aren't restricted to one theme at a time, and the threads won't get lost in the main forum.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 10:33 PM #7 of 56
Originally Posted by Rydia
This seems interesting.

Out of curiosity, how do you suggest weekly themes would be introduced? I assume that once one theme is over, another person would come up with a new one. There should be some sort of method where people take turns. This way, one person’s new theme suggestion won’t be lost in the middle of an already-established theme week.

I'll sticky the thread as soon as more people contribute other ideas and suggestions.
Well, I don't think we have to restrict to one theme. It would be nice if the flow of discussion about the theme/topic is a bit fluid. As in, we can come up with stuff as we go if we want to. It would be nice to actually have a list of theme each time, and people can choose what they like to do. It would be nice to have a brain storming session about stuff that might be fun to draw. The point is make it as flexible and as easy for different people to participate.

The discussion about theme/topic and brain storming sessions are also art exercise, to practice coming up with ideas, self motivation and inspiration through a constructive thought process.

FELIPE NO
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:34 AM #8 of 56
This is interesting, and I definitely don't mind the expansion of TCC. CGtalk has something like this in place. They actually do have a seperate subsection in place for practicing and community sketches, things like this.

The one thread that I went to had people posting poses for practicing anatomy. The challenge was that you were to keep the drawings to 15 minutes or less. I think that things like this, especially for different topics, is a very good for furthering talents as well as having fun. For people who want to add a bit of style or practice drawing inanimate objects or whatever else.

I'm definitely in. I can help out with themes and such if you want.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Expertgamer
Carob Nut

Member 1573

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:22 AM #9 of 56
I simply love to draw!

Most of my creations are monsters or game design, something I want to study later. Mostly I draw to impress other people. That worked out so good that in art class people are coming to me for drawing advices. LOL

I work... 3 to 5 hours for one drawing. But, I'd say, sometimes I'm not quite satisfied with the result.

I don't draw everyday though. I have other hobbies as well, as well as homework and such... But I draw mostly at school or in the weekends.

I like the idea, let's do that... But I can't promise I will participate every week.

I recently learned how to draw like Anime and Manga artists, so i'm fully practising that kind of art now. BTW. Soon I'm gonna create new monsters - I suck at drawing non-anime styled characters.

Last edited by Expertgamer; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:37 AM.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:59 AM #10 of 56
hmm that idea sort of reminds me of the old thread with the competition stuff. I think there was the chrono art battle and spider man, and a mecha, and so much more o_0.
I draw and doodle and sketch and whatnot. I had an art thread but since there were so many crashes I decided to keep out. I was mostly rememberd for my dbz stuff and shading but I stay away from that now and I havn't drawn that style in years.
I mostly draw anime characters and realistic stuff.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

New Record!
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:38 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 11:38 PM #11 of 56
I love to draw.. but as of late, I am pretty dissapointed with myself. I can't seem to "draw" without copying or looking at other people's drawings. I'm trying to find my own style, and I said to myself that I would refrain from referencing from other drawings so that I can try and portray the image in my own. So I'm actually happy this kind of thing happened, themed drawings would be a good way to grab ideas to draw instead of "copying" stuff.

Watashi_Baka_Da
Banned

Member 5204

Level 6.34

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:05 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 11:05 AM #12 of 56
I can draw manga. It turns out good, but I get frustrated easily.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:39 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 10:39 AM #13 of 56
I have been thinking about this for a while. So here are some theme/subject that I come up with, tell me what you think. Most of those are pretty vague descriptions that are categories that can probably be expended upon. I also want to include technicl practice like linear perspective and still life related stuff.

Subject Studies

People

Self Portrait
Celebrity and notaries Portraits
Family Portraits

Places

Your room
Your desk
Back yard
etc

Object/Still life

[i]Go and find something that you feel that have an interesting shape or characteristic, from the following location, and just draw it. It would be good if this object is composing of several different basic geometric shapes.[i]
Kitchen
Your Room
On your Desk

Themes

Technical

Linear Perspective
Shading
Composition
Color
Anatomy
Speed paint

People/Characters

Character Interaction
Character and places
Character and objects
Character and Vehicles
Characters with special costumes
Character sports
Character and Holidays
Characters and Vacations
Character and everyday life moments.
Life Induction practice (as in, trying to create a realistic rendering of a character from a cartoons character)

Others

Draw a Spaceship
Draw a castle
Draw a futuristic car
Draw a unconventional looking flying machine
Draw a Monster
Holiday Related themes

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:54 PM #14 of 56
I draw when I feel like it, mostly in a doodling fashion. I'm not good, but I can draw basic things, like trees, geometric figures, fire, quite well. I occassionally can draw buildings--it depends on what kind of building I try to draw. People are big problem for me, but I have recently gotten decent at drawing faces. On a related note, I just hate it when I doodle on test scratch paper and then can't keep it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:40 PM #15 of 56
Another idea is the topic of "style". Draw something stylish. Probably getting into more abstract stuff though. It's an idea.

How ya doing, buddy?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 05:20 PM #16 of 56
Originally Posted by a_yaoi
Another idea is the topic of "style". Draw something stylish. Probably getting into more abstract stuff though. It's an idea.
An abstract category woule be nice.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:59 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 10:59 PM #17 of 56
I am open to it. Although that's getting into somewhat fuzzy areas for those who aren't well practiced. Considering that Abstract arts really shifts the focus from study of subject to study of composition. Because there is not a "gold standard (like specific reference material when you are drawing realism)" in which to base many of the work on, its difficult for most people to critique. Earlier abstract artist studies specific shapes composition starting with realism, but gradually make new studies that makes it just a little more abstract, while the composition remain virtually the same, but in the end they arrived at a completely unrecognizable composition in terms of subject, until you put the beginning and the end product side by side. I think it is quite important for certain process and thought is being shown for the making abstract art, rather then "I am just making it because it looks cool" mentality.

I think each weekly, or monthly sketch thread should be separated and close at the end of the period, so it would be easier to organize. Also, we don't have to have use a thread for each of the themes. For practical considerations, I think how much stuff that is in the thread, or how long the thread has been on rather then the theme or topics.

Also, as we can list the old themes, we can carried it over from month to month, or we can talk it over to see which theme to include and which not to carry over. Maybe between a long list and a shortlist. We can come up with new theme on the fly, but update the first post with the list of themes that are being done.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:37 AM #18 of 56
Originally Posted by a_mage
I am open to it. Although that's getting into somewhat fuzzy areas for those who aren't well practiced. Considering that Abstract arts really shifts the focus from study of subject to study of composition. Because there is not a "gold standard (like specific reference material when you are drawing realism)" in which to base many of the work on, its difficult for most people to critique. Earlier abstract artist studies specific shapes composition starting with realism, but gradually make new studies that makes it just a little more abstract, while the composition remain virtually the same, but in the end they arrived at a completely unrecognizable composition in terms of subject, until you put the beginning and the end product side by side. I think it is quite important for certain process and thought is being shown for the making abstract art, rather then "I am just making it because it looks cool" mentality.

I think each weekly, or monthly sketch thread should be separated and close at the end of the period, so it would be easier to organize. Also, we don't have to have use a thread for each of the themes. For practical considerations, I think how much stuff that is in the thread, or how long the thread has been on rather then the theme or topics.

Also, as we can list the old themes, we can carried it over from month to month, or we can talk it over to see which theme to include and which not to carry over. Maybe between a long list and a shortlist. We can come up with new theme on the fly, but update the first post with the list of themes that are being done.
I didn't really mean abstract, but it's a good idea nonetheless. It may shift the focus to composition, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Knowing composition is still a very important part of art, in my opinion.

What I meant was more realism in an urban environment, something that I kind of wanted to put out in my style. I just kind of adopted the term "style" for the classification. For reference, check out Kubo Tite's BLEACH (manga), which is where the whole idea came from.

Also, I do recommend requesting a subforum for this. It'll make it a lot easier to manage and we can keep TCC for what we use it for now, without clutter of another category of stuff added into it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:40 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 02:40 AM #19 of 56
What would the time be for us? When you say sketch I imagine only spending about 10 to 20 minutes, if that, on a piece. Is that what you are intending? That's what I imagine. I like some of the ideas for categories there, and I think a stickied thread that is periodically locked and started a new is fine for this kind of thing.

Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 05:45 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 06:45 PM #20 of 56
let's get started. I'll doodle on my paint!

Hahahahaha.

Get me a topic? Say, sci-fi robot smashing a human flat?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:35 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 01:35 PM #21 of 56
Originally Posted by guyinrubbersuit
What would the time be for us? When you say sketch I imagine only spending about 10 to 20 minutes, if that, on a piece. Is that what you are intending? That's what I imagine. I like some of the ideas for categories there, and I think a stickied thread that is periodically locked and started a new is fine for this kind of thing.
Not everyone can dedicate 2 hours to make a drawing. So sketches (usually still life is what I am thinking, but theme based is fine too)its probably going to be the stable of the stuff in the thread. Depending on how busy people are, I suppose. I really would like to get 40 minutes out of people at least, when they are making a drawing. Sketch wise, 10 - 20 per piece is fine in my opinion. There isn't a topic yet, if we are going to work on this by consensus.

Although something I would like to note though, about posting images?

It would be nice to keep it relatively small when we posted in the thread. if we crop and scale the drawing at least under 700 pixel on the long side, and compress either in jpeg or gif under 100kb will help the viewing experience a lot.

Quote:
let's get started. I'll doodle on my paint!

Hahahahaha.

Get me a topic? Say, sci-fi robot smashing a human flat?
I was thinking about doing some still life of stuff around the house, but if that's what you want to draw, go for it.:biggrin:

Last edited by Magi; Apr 22, 2006 at 03:39 PM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 11:38 AM #22 of 56

Here is my sketch for the sci-fi robot smashing a human flat. Uh you do mean flat, as in say apartment or something and not flat like squishing right? Either way, this took me around 25 to 30 minutes.

How ya doing, buddy?
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:19 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 12:19 AM #23 of 56
I don't draw anymore. When I was younger I used to draw medieval/fantasy swords and such. Now I just do some doodles in my school notebooks whenever I feel like it.

FELIPE NO

Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:37 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 06:37 PM #24 of 56
HAHHA. nice sketch of the smashing!

Here's mine. it's done on photoshop in 5-10 minutes with a mouse.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/32350159/

Last edited by Thanatos; Apr 25, 2006 at 06:02 AM.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:17 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2006, 11:17 PM #25 of 56
Heh not bad for 10 minutes in PS with a mouse. I'm glad to see someone else participating. No other takers?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Lets Draw!