Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Bioshock. Available on Wii 12/5/2010

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 03:45 AM Local time: May 13, 2007, 03:45 AM #1 of 356
Bioshock. Available on Wii 12/5/2010

Bioshock is almost upon us. 8/21/2007 (360,PC), only three months away.

Quote:
After your plane crashes into icy uncharted waters, you discover a rusted bathysphere and descend into Rapture, a city hidden beneath the sea. Constructed as an idealistic society for a hand picked group of scientists, artists and industrialists, the idealism is no more. Now the city is littered with corpses, while wildly powerful guardians roam the corridors, mutated little girls scavenge the dead, and genetically modified citizens ambush you at every turn. Players must ultimately make meaningful choices and mature decisions, culminating in the grand question: do you exploit the innocent survivors of Rapture...or save them?
www.2kgames.com/bioshock/ Pretty sick flash website (even though computer takes a shit with flash) with some pretty eerie music to back it up, but that is to be expected considering it is by the developers who created the System Shock series.

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html This is the real website though.

Bioshock is in fact the spiritual successor of System Shock, hence the word shock.

Quote:
A first person shooter that lets you do things never before possible in the genre: turn everything into a weapon, biologically mod your body with plasmids, hack devices and systems, upgrade your weapons and craft new ammo variants, and experiment with different battle techniques in an incredible and unique underwater city.
If that isn't enough, the weapon and environmental usage seems very intriguing:
Quote:
BioShock is loaded with some of greatest, most modifiable weapons to ever blast their way into a shooter. But guns alone won’t be enough to defeat the devious AIs of Rapture. There are literally hundreds of other strategies players can use to take out his enemies. Here’s just a few things you can do a foe:
  • Catch his Grenades in Mid Air and Toss Them Back at Him
  • Freeze Him Solid and Shatter Him with Smack of your Wrench
  • Lead him and his comrades to water and Zap them all with 1000 Volts
  • Burn Him Up With Home-Made Molotov Cocktails
  • Booby Trap Healing Machines and Watch Them Blow up IN his Face
  • Brainwash Him to Become Your Personal BodyGuard
  • Invent your own Ammo Types to Prey on his Vulnerabilities
  • Turn his own Security System Against Him
  • Light Him on Fire and Launch Heat Seeking Missiles At him
  • Torment Him with Plagues of Insects
  • Take Research Photos of Him to Learn his Weaknesses
  • Send Him Flying into the Ceiling to Knock him Senseless
I loved System Shock and Deus Ex so this will likely be quite sweet. I like shooters where the story does not take a backseat along with RPG elements, of upgrading and dialogue. Looking forward to it. Oh and check out the trailer and water effects too. Sick sick sick.

Discuss this inevitable ownage here.

wallpaper-sized image:

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Aardark; May 13, 2007 at 04:01 AM.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 07:10 PM Local time: May 13, 2007, 07:10 PM #2 of 356
I'm concerned about how much they'll focus on story... Deus Ex had a wonderful setup for background, storyline, etc. In this (much like System Shock), you might very well be the "only game in town". But hopefully they'll leave writings/diaries/etc detailing what happened. I'm sure you won't find any survivors given the condition of the place (wear, rust, monsters everywhere... Been far gone for too long I'd think).

Looking forward to it though. By the time it comes out, I'll have a pretty fucking awesome gaming laptop (sup Alienware m9750). Hopefully I'll be able to run this puppy on max settings.

I'll most likely buy this if it pans out and is any good. I've been in the habit of DLing games for the PC for years now. I only buy MMOs or games that are poorly cracked or glitchy and in need of patches =p

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 07:41 PM #3 of 356
Besides Mass effect and GTA IV, this is my most anticipated game of 07'. Looks amazing and is also one of the few games i'm going to fork out the extra 10 bucks for the LE. the LE is well worth the ten bucks alone just because you get a Big Daddy Figurine aka the guy in BZ's screenshot he posted.

Can't Wait.

I also woudn't worry about this game not living up to it's expectiations as every VG journalist who has gotten a hands on preview with the game all came out praising the game like giddy school girls who just came into walking distance of their favorite pop idol.

Although i wonder how long until certain people come in here and complain that it isn't listed as a " PS3 " game as well.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Iwata; May 13, 2007 at 07:44 PM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 12:18 AM Local time: May 15, 2007, 12:18 AM #4 of 356
My PCs ready for it full power.

This will be the dark horse for me this year as its against my other FPS anticipated titles UT3, Crysis, and HL2:Episode 2/Portal. I've been looking forward to this PC game for a while as I enjoyed System Shock (lol wtf no thread was made thus far).

The big thing for me is: Can this top the gravity gun's innovative fighting elements?

Most amazing jew boots
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 09:38 AM #5 of 356
Yeah, it's funny. I replayed System Shock 2 a week ago. (took a LOT to get that working on XP) and man...after you finish that, you WANT MORE! MORE!

I hope my PC can run this. I might actually upgrade for this if it's not.

I saw a 25 minute video of the gameplay, and that looks good, however like Gechmir I'm also interested in the story. Despite you being alone on the ship 99% of the time in SS2, you got all the info with the data files you found all over the ship, that slowly but surely told you exactly what happend while you were in cryo.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 03:49 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 02:49 PM #6 of 356
Can i be the first to complain that it's not on PS3?

nah, i'm no fanboy, i just don't have plans to buy a 360 any time soon, and i'm pretty much off of PC gaming, save for golden oldies. I am planning on buying a new laptop soon, and i think a new desk top is coming for the family. Perhaps this game will inspire me to return to the realm of PC gaming, as i've had little reason to head in that direction for a while now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2007, 10:20 PM Local time: May 15, 2007, 10:20 PM #7 of 356
Just an FYI Helloween, you'll need quite the laptop to play this. I'm fairly certain it uses a new engine that had it not been for the 360 version, it may have used DX10 and really pushed its limits. I think this year is a good time to get back into PC gaming. FPSs here and Spore coming as well.

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 17, 2007, 02:22 AM Local time: May 17, 2007, 12:22 AM 1 #8 of 356
...by the developers who created the System Shock series.
Actually (and no disrespect intended) Ken Levine and the guys at Irrational were commissioned by Looking Glass to create the sequel System Shock 2. System Shock itself is Warren Spector's brain child, he created it when he was still with Origin Systems. At that, has anyone been keeping track of the interviews Levine has done? A lot of what he's been saying has been what I've been waiting for as far as game design and theory is concerned.

It also makes for some actual journalism, at least considering how much gaming news is just a promotional device these days.

Levine made an excellent point on the distinction between dialog trees and a player's actual actions in game. I found it really poignant when compared to a lot of the games in today's market. Though I think he was specifically aiming the portion of this interview at games like KotoR and Jade Empire, hopefully the message gets through beyond a vague potshot.

Quote:
Ken Levine: I don't believe moral choices in games have a huge amount of meaning if they don't go hand in hand with gameplay choices.
It's definitely a relief to know that killing and doing in game will have a greater impact than just saying or doing something a specific point in time. An idea like this would actually be great to apply in games like Shin Megami Tensei (hell, most of Atlus' R&D1 games).

I'm hoping that Bioshock is commercially successful along with being (again, hopefully) a great game. I've been waiting for a game like this for so long, and after Thief 3 disappointed me in some respect, this game feels to be a potential continuation of the great PC gaming we saw toward the late 90s and the beginning of 2000.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2007, 03:38 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 03:38 AM #9 of 356
Well you can say whatever you want. It was still created by the developers of the System Shock series. Ken Levine and Specter didn't code the whole game and create it. Games generally are a group effort, where in the end everything fits cohesively.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old May 19, 2007, 01:00 AM Local time: May 18, 2007, 11:00 PM #10 of 356
Something has to be said for who birthed the concept in the first place. I mean, fine and dandy if you want it to be a "team" thing, I know that Ken Levine didn't do all of Bioshock or System Shock 2... what I'm getting at is that games like Deus Ex, Wing Commander, Ultima Underworld, System Shock are usually recognized as being created conceptually by Warren Spector. He's like the Spielberg of Video Games (good and bad). Just trying to keep the facts straight.

Sadly not the reaction I had wanted to illicit. Meh.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 01:12 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 01:12 PM #11 of 356
New action video out. Quite promising. Just give me some rpg interaction here and there and I will be happy.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13598/...onStop-Action/

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 08:36 PM #12 of 356
Game looks incredibly good, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed after seeing these action sequences. There's nothing hinting at truly non-linear, non-scripted experience. In fact, gameplay looks just like any other random scriptshooter a la Half Life 2. The art style is still very impressive, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2007, 01:50 PM Local time: May 30, 2007, 01:50 PM #13 of 356
Hell, if it has a story like Half-Life 2, I'll be giddy

Most amazing jew boots

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:23 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 02:23 AM #14 of 356
Hell, do people even realize likely one of the greatest games ever is coming out in a month. Not one post in two months.

Oh yeah and it was awarded Game of the Show by Gamespy and like everyone else. Of course.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:23 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 01:23 AM #15 of 356
Yeah, it definitely snuck up on me. I need to hurry up and pay off my reservation. I got the Limited Edition so I could get the Big Daddy statue thing that it comes with. Better be worth the extra $10.

FELIPE NO
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 10:05 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 10:05 AM #16 of 356
Well, I didn't have the ability to run said game. Now I do =3 I'm definitely buying it on release day. It looks and sounds too damn good to pass up. Hopefully it will be a good, faithful, spiritual-successor to System Shock 2.

Fuck. Aug 21. I'll be on the boat Aug 22. I doubt any place in Galveston will get it until 22-23... DAMMIT =(

Last edited by Gechmir; Jul 21, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:24 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 11:24 AM #17 of 356

It's more than just the figure, Gech.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:35 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 02:35 PM #18 of 356
Beg pardon?

I'm getting the PC version, not 360.

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:43 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 01:43 PM #19 of 356
So? The only difference then is it says "Games for Windows" ont he box instead of Xbox 360. The bonus materials are the same.

Link

Also, fuck me, I thought it was you who said "The figure better be worth 10 bucks.". It was WolfDemon. My bad.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 30, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:57 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 11:57 AM #20 of 356
O.O Nothing further.

Shit, they didn't tell me about all that stuff. Looks to be worth the $10 and some change. =)

Most amazing jew boots
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:06 PM #21 of 356
Would y'all still get the LE if you could get the regular edition for $40.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:07 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 03:07 PM #22 of 356
Even if it was me, I would've forgotten =D

Whoa. I'm totally ordering that :3

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:22 PM #23 of 356
Would y'all still get the LE if you could get the regular edition for $40.

Of Course. the Limited Edition is far too awesome to pass up. Plus, an extra 20 bucks for the LE is chump change for me at least. You should be really posing this question to all the people who are spending $70 more bucks on the H alo 3 Legendary edition for just the weak-ass helmet and a bonus DVD. Now that is a ripoff.

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:15 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 05:15 PM #24 of 356
Wow despite not owning a 360 I should go preorder that sucker. I really want the game but all that limited edition stuff makes it worthy of a preorder.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:41 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2007, 09:41 AM #25 of 356
Hell, do people even realize likely one of the greatest games ever is coming out in a month. Not one post in two months.

Oh yeah and it was awarded Game of the Show by Gamespy and like everyone else. Of course.
I'd be posting like crazy in here, but I don't have a 360 nor a PC that will run this game decently. So, I'll probably be posting in this thread in a year when no one cares. But yeah, this is the game I'm most excited about this year.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Bioshock. Available on Wii 12/5/2010