Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Weird Internet Issues

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2008, 07:18 PM #1 of 7
Weird Internet Issues

Well, I 'downgraded' from Vista to XP [if you call that downgrading, heh] the other night, and since then, I've had some pretty weird internet problems. Here's the lowdown:

- Many sites, such as Facebook, deviantART, and many more do not load at all. I don't even get the 'Cannot load page' error.
- Similarly, the Google search results page doesn't load; however, the main pages, as well as Gmail, seem fine.
- Despite using things like Adblock and NoScript [on Firefox], I've been getting popup tabs randomly, leading to a variety of different adsites.
- I seem to be able to access any website without issues in Internet Explorer. However, popups still occur in IE.

Let's say that I've never had popup windows in AGES. I honestly don't remember the last time I'd seen one on my computer. And this is on a fresh install of Windows. Granted, it's a custom slipstream [not made by me] version, so I'm guessing that it's something that was stuck in there.

Initially, the system was incredibly slow. Despite just having added 2GB of RAM, everything seemed to just chug along. Games were jumpy, and the like. Then...

NOD32 kept picking up a file [c:\windows\system32\tuvUKbAr.dll], and labeled it as Adware.Virtumonde, and wasn't able to delete it. I couldn't even delete it from the Safe Mode [cmd prompt mode]. I loaded into a live CD OS and was able to get rid of it from there. System sped up a little. I went to tweak startup settings in msconfig, and noticed that there was another 'gibberish' entry in there, pointing to another DLL in the system32 file. Task Manager also showed it running. Even after closing the processes, I couldn't delete the DLL, so I used the LiveCD again and got rid of it.

NOW... Well, the system doesn't seem to be bogged down anymore, and I'm getting normal speeds. However, the internet issues are still abound. Any ideas? I've scanned with Adaware 2007 and Spybot S&D, and there doesn't seem to be anything of note.

Sorry for the looooong post, but I need some help. Anybody?

[edit] Okay, apparently another scan by S&D reports a bunch of Virtumonde entries. Hopefully I can get rid of it and this will all go away. Will update when it's done.

Most amazing jew boots
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Last edited by Sousuke; Jun 12, 2008 at 07:34 PM.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:56 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2008, 09:56 AM #2 of 7
I would probably advise a clean re-install.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2008, 09:01 PM #3 of 7
Yeah, Vundo/Virtumonde is a total bitch to completely eradicate. It's doable, but it'd be much faster in your case just to get a clean copy of Windows and start over.

Most amazing jew boots
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:09 PM #4 of 7
Actually, so far... it seems that a bootscan using S&D removed it. I'll be crossing my fingers for that, anyway. If it happens again I'll check out VundoFix and VirtumundoBeGone. If that doesn't work, I'll take the reformat route, though I'd like to avoid doing that again, heh.

Hopefully this works. Thanks for the tips!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 13, 2008, 07:22 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2008, 05:22 PM #5 of 7
Oh god, I got Vundo a little while back when I was trying to help a friend find a crack for a game. After hunting the internet forever, I was able to find a program that wiped it out with just two restarts. Sadly, I deleted it last week when I was cleaning off my desktop.

I think it was called something like "VundoFix," so you could try googling around for that. Also, I found the Spybot registry monitor to be pretty useful for finding out if I had cleaned it out or not, since each time it gets back into your computer, it makes a boatload of registry entries.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:03 PM #6 of 7
Well, so far, so good. I haven't had any problems since the post I made above, and somehow [fingers crossed], I think I managed to get rid of it using only Spybot. I ran BOTH VundoFix and VirtumondeBeGone and they found nothing. I was actually rather surprised.

So we'll see what happens when I restart again. If they come back, well then crap. Heh.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rue
Still goin' dumb.

Member 31009

Level 2.38

Jun 2008

Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:07 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2008, 01:07 PM #7 of 7
Did you downgrade from Vista OEM or RTM? Downgrading can be a very bad idea while at the same time can be a great idea. (Vista to XP? Anyday!) It's never, ever recommended to install beta software then up/downgrade to a later version. I went from XP Pro to Vista OEM to XP pro again...then was forced to reformat due to many flucuations.

So I would take the other's advice and reformat, regardless if you have Vundo or not. Nothing wrong with a fresh, clean installation anyway!

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Weird Internet Issues