Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Star Trek 24 25.26%
Star Wars 46 48.42%
Both 11 11.58%
Neither 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek VS Star Wars
Closed Thread

GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:23 AM #1 of 84
Star Trek VS Star Wars

It's that age old topic again (or is it the first time on here?) anyway which do you prefer and why, what makes them so good or bad? or why you don’t care. so let's make some conversation

Most amazing jew boots
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:36 AM #2 of 84
I feel that Star Trek does a better job of expressing the characters' past and emotions. Also, given that Star Wars has "The Force," Star Trek feels a bit more believeable.

How ya doing, buddy?
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:40 AM #3 of 84
Thats a good point but most people I know seem to think we are closer to Star wars then Star Trek. I dont see how though. Personally I'm a Trekki so I'm a little one sided here, I didnt really enjoy the Star wars movies but at the same time they werent bad. I'd rather watch William Shatner.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:43 AM #4 of 84
GarretTheThief, you have missed Stargate. That's the serie of my choice .

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:46 AM #5 of 84
It isn't that the Star Wars movies are bad. Both Star Trek and Star Wars are quite enjoyable. With Star Wars is was more of a classic good against evil. My problem with it, though, is that we knew the heroes would eventually win. With Star Trek, it was more of a "What's happening in the universe?" It's really a matter of preference.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:51 AM #6 of 84
Originally Posted by x86
lol, ya man, they have sweet MP7's now on that show. Along with the already sexy P90.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

oh my gawddd
GarretThe Thief
The TS master

Member 192

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:57 AM #7 of 84
Originally Posted by x86
I am aware of that. I wanted to keep this conversation between the two because they are more well known than Stargate, I am a big Stargate Fan though (SG-1 though) also because there is always this big war going on with these two about which one is better

FELIPE NO
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:01 PM #8 of 84
Originally Posted by GarretThe Thief
I am aware of that. I wanted to keep this conversation between the two because they are more well known than Stargate, I am a big Stargate Fan though (SG-1 though) also because there is always this big war going on with these two about which one is better
Maybe there's always a big war because they're the oldest and both start with Star. I could be wrong, though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 06:23 PM #9 of 84
Well, i don't particularly like either of them that much, but i think over all Star Wars is alot more interesting. Star Trek seems to get a bit old and samey. I haven't seen it in years so i can't really comment that much but yeah. Star Wars stories are more gripping to me

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Cheers B4!
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:38 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 06:38 PM #10 of 84
I love Star Trek simply because the spin offs such as Generation, and Deep Space Nine were so good. Also I liked alot of the characters plus the intergalatic politics between the races.

I really like SG-1, especially the earlier series,(I liked the original film too), but I don't care much for the spin off.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Mar 25, 2006 at 12:43 PM.
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:46 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 06:46 PM #11 of 84
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
I love Star Trek simply because the spin offs such as Generation, and Deep Space Nine were so good. Also I liked alot of the characters plus the intergalatic politics between the races.

I really like SG-1, especially the earlier series,(I liked the original film too), but I don't care much for the spin off.
SG-1 was amazing. I haven't watched the most recent ones because it got a bit boring. I'm not a huge fan of TV anyway. My parents are completely hooked on Watching SG-1 and Atlantis though so i hear all about it

Cheers B4!
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:46 PM #12 of 84
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Also, given that Star Wars has "The Force," Star Trek feels a bit more believeable.
Yeah, because having a captain get possessed by an alien energy being and then transporting himself out into the void of space - only to be brought back because of the transporter buffer containing his residual Id signature is so believable

Also: You die when you fall on flowers

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:50 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 07:50 PM #13 of 84
Midichlorians!

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Ottonabs
N64-1701

Member 352

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:51 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 11:51 AM #14 of 84
Star Trek and Star Wars are both pretty good. But they are not really the same: Star Wars would be best classified as an action type movie, not scifi, since there is not really any "sci" to it. Star Trek seems more real, and more thought is put into how their devices actually work and everything.

Both Stargates seem kinda cheesy to me, then again so are Wars and Trek. Just doesn't get me though.

What you really want is Battlestar Galactica (the new one). There's a good show.

A koopa never lived who had an ounce of integrity.
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:55 PM #15 of 84
Originally Posted by Ottonabs
Star Trek and Star Wars are both pretty good. But they are not really the same: Star Wars would be best classified as an action type movie, not scifi, since there is not really any "sci" to it.
This thread is going to end up in the Sewers really fucking quick.

Saying Star Wars isn't sci-fi is a retarded statement at best. "Next Generation isn't sci-fi because they had episodes with Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Mark Twain! It must be a historical drama!"

Star Trek seems more real, and more thought is put into how their devices actually work and everything.
Except that, you know, Star Trek bends the laws of physics with technobabble just as much as Star Wars.

What you really want is Battlestar Galactica (the new one). There's a good show.
This thread is going to end up in the Sewers quicker than I thought.

FELIPE NO
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 02:56 PM #16 of 84
Star Trek and Star Wars are both pretty good. But they are not really the same: Star Wars would be best classified as an action type movie, not scifi, since there is not really any "sci" to it. Star Trek seems more real, and more thought is put into how their devices actually work and everything.

Both Stargates seem kinda cheesy to me, then again so are Wars and Trek. Just doesn't get me though.

Borg for the tiebreaker! Trek is leading (at least for the moment).

I agree with you Ottonabs.

THis poll is kind of like saying "Do you like 'Wonderous Sci Fi Show' or 'Huge Action Show' better?"

How ya doing, buddy?
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:02 PM #17 of 84
I hate Star Trek. I've tried to watch a few episodes, but I just can't do it. I have to change the channel. Star Wars on the other hand, is much more interesting to me and I've enjoyed all of the movies. (The Empire Strikes Back being the best of them.)

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Harmonica
Pull the pin out.

Member 3486

Level 4.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:10 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 02:10 PM #18 of 84
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper
I hate Star Trek. I've tried to watch a few episodes, but I just can't do it. I have to change the channel. Star Wars on the other hand, is much more interesting to me and I've enjoyed all of the movies. (The Empire Strikes Back being the best of them.)
I share this sentiment. I can't get past the idea of "This is dudes flying around in space doing diplomacy and science, which, while both are mildly interesting, they're certainly not much fun to watch. Meanwhile, over here we have Star Wars, which is a war in space. With lightsabers." The choice is simple.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tuco: God is on our side, he hates the Yankees.
Man With No Name: God is not on our side because he also hates idiots.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:13 PM #19 of 84
I don't even want to participate in this poll.

Why do people even compare these totally unrelated science fiction (I am of the opinion that Star Wars is more so fantasy than it is sci fi) franchises? One is a TV show, one is a series of movies. There's really nothing similar between them except SPACE.

jRev
XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG XP FLAG

Member 610

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 03:32 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 04:32 AM #20 of 84

Darth Vader!

VERSUS

Numbah One!

Going by this relevant and totally fair costume comparison, I would have to say I prefer Star Wars.

Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 03:44 PM #21 of 84
Both have their good points, but Star Trek is far more "realistic" (in a loose sense of the term...). I mean, there are things in ST that could be made at some point in the not-too-distant future and are useful, like the transporter, replicator, universal translator or the medical tricorder. And ST has inspired people to create things as well -- in that sense it's realistic.

Star Wars is a huge amalgam of every archetypal mythic character, which is my theory as to why so many people instantly fall in love with the series. I love it, but it's so fantastical and over the top that it doesn't seem quite as down-to-earth as ST. Even though it deals with human emotions and problems, it's not as personal and detailed as the human experiences that the characters in ST have; this might be due to the fact that ST is a TV series, so they have a lot of episodes in which to explore each character, whereas SW only has six movies (and legions of books, but not everyone reads those...).

I like them both, in their own ways. But Star Trek has been a favorite of mine since I was quite young, so I'll have to go with it.

Umma
Chocobo

Member 3974

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 09:14 PM #22 of 84
Smile Star Wars - Without Jar Jar Binks and the Ewoks!

I never watched Star Trek, not because I don't like it, but because in my country ST is not known very much.

Star Wars on the other hand is very well known. I watched the movies for the first time in 2005, before Episode III premiered. I had never liked Star Wars before *watching* the movies... after that, I found myself on the cinema on May 19 to see Episode III. And I always though going the opening day was a geek thing... you know, those dressed like Stormtroopers. And there *were* some that day! Just not as many as seen on the United States.

Anyway, SW is my preference. I'd watch Star Trek to *know* it at least... How many ST movies are there?

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 07:56 PM #23 of 84
Star Wars is fantasy in space. Star Trek is a fictional account of humanity's future. Enjoy both of them and stop wasting time debating whether one is the best.

FELIPE NO
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 09:38 PM #24 of 84
Originally Posted by Sing
Star Wars is fantasy in space. Star Trek is a fictional account of humanity's future. Enjoy both of them and stop wasting time debating whether one is the best.
Quoted for fucking truth. I'd shake your hand for that.

Most amazing jew boots
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:01 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:01 AM #25 of 84
Maybe we can roll up this "discussion" again when the Star Wars TV show thingy airs.

Star Wars has the Spinoff Trilogy and Star Trek has Voyager, so both suck at some parts. Babylon 5 wins. Yay for Lando. *crowd goes wild*

How ya doing, buddy?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Star Trek VS Star Wars