Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Reccomend-a-Game (and proper spelling)

Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 09:39 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 03:39 PM #51 of 61
Serious bumpage.

After being stuck with an antique for far too long, I'm finally getting a new PC sometime next week. Are there any obvious or not so obvious games released in the last year-and-a-half I should check out now that I can actually play them? My preferences go out towards anything action-oriented, but feel free to surprise me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer

Last edited by Amayirot Akago; Jul 20, 2008 at 10:07 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:53 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 06:53 PM #52 of 61
I was more or less in the same position as you, only I've already gotten my PC and have been playing on it for quite a while.

First thing that comes to mind is obviously Orange Box and Call of Duty 4. I know a lot of the 360 and PS3 fans will tell you how awesome it's in multiplayer with them, but CoD4 is a PC game through and through and while you lose analogue movement and rumble, the mouse aiming really makes the game, because like in Flashpoint, it only takes a few bullets to drop an enemy. Plus it looks superb on a decent+ PC.

Orange Box is another given. I've played Half-Life 2 twice, plus once on the 360 and while it works really well on a console, all five games on OB are PC games through and through (the closest exception being Portal but again, you gain additional levels). I've also played around with some mods and thankfully Steam makes Sourcemods wonderfully effortless. Look up and get Minerva when you can.

Every other game I've been getting for the PC are the type I'm very late for the party for, meaning more old adventure games I never got around to finding and/or didn't have the hard drive space (Atlantis series, Myst series, Uru, Culpa Innata, Scratches, Realms of the Haunting etc) and shooters that didn't run good enough on my old PC (Far Cry, Painkiller, Serious Sam 2, Mafia, Brothers in Arms games). And some RTS games, mainly Starcraft, Homeworld 1 & 2 (superb) and Company of Heroes (more Relic goodness).

I also intend to get Mass Effect and Crysis once I find the cash for them. I've already completed ME on the 360, but it's worth replaying on PC.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jul 20, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:48 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:48 PM #53 of 61
Homeworld 2 (superb)
If a little on the insanely hard side. I pretty much suck at RTS games at the best of times but throw in a 3d element and I'm beyond lost. I'd love to be good at this game because it really is great but I'm fucked if I know what's going on half the time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:10 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:10 PM #54 of 61
I also intend to get Mass Effect and Crysis once I find the cash for them. I've already completed ME on the 360, but it's worth replaying on PC.
I'd like to point out that ME, has a 3-time installation limit. I bought the game prior to this knowledge. Personally, I just feel that I haven't really bought the game, knowing that I might not be able to install this after a couple years (and reinstalls) have passed.

You can actually bypass the install-limit issue with a crack, but cracking a game you bought? It's better to download the entire thing that way.

Also Crysis, no replay value at all, and the story ends midway. Great graphics, but that's about it. If you're a little tight on cash, you might wanna think twice on these titles. Plus, you already completed ME on the 360 anyways.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:09 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 08:09 PM #55 of 61
There's yet to be a person who's spurred me from buying something I already intend to buy. Thanks for the advice though I guess~

When I mean to buy something, I've already weighed the pros and cons. It doesn't mean I'll fall over myself to pay full price for them (as I'd have already done that), but since I want to play them both (and I have plenty of great games I love and only play once), I will eventually get them, usually cheap enough for me (which is pretty cheap).

As for that install limit, I don't know what's the big deal. I saw people whine about it with Bioshock and I wondered so what. Most copy-protection/internet activation shit is one time only. It's awful, I hate it, it prevents me from loaning great PC games to friends (Call of Duty 4, hello), but I don't see it being any worse than three times the amount. I mean with that I'm at least assured I can reinstall if my PC breaks down or I upgrade.

So yeah, I don't like any of this copy-protection activation stuff, but it's never prevented me from buying a game. It's not as if that's going to make any kind of difference. If it messes up on me, I'll download it so long as I can play it. At that point I figure I'm entitled to that but otherwise I like owning my games in physical form (again, for a fair price).

FELIPE NO

Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:21 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 01:21 AM #56 of 61
Fair enough, so long as you're informed about this install-limit thing. I know you tend to buy a lot of games/animu, so, wouldn't want you to waste money on ME incase you didn't know about this issue. I for one felt like I've been cheated of my money over this.

On the side note, I spent the full price on this game, since I got it on the release day. Now I have to think twice when reformatting my PC =___=

Crysis still sucks though lolol

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jinn
Thief of Tazmily

Member 260

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:56 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 11:56 AM #57 of 61
Might I interject?

While the whole 3 install limit thing with Mass Effect is rather ridiculous, it has been said that in the near future, when the threat of new game piracy fever becomes less of a worry to EA, that particular feature will be patched out. Not that I agree with this tactic, but I thought I would just bring it up.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Oh shit.
Scarletdeath
♪♫ SCARLET●D ♫♪

Member 87

Level 26.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:05 PM Local time: Jul 22, 2008, 02:05 AM #58 of 61
I suppose that's good news, for me at least, if it were to happen. But seriously though, EA/Bioware is actually pushing potential customers to piracy with this install-limit feat. The pirated version has no difference besides the fact that it has unlimited installations. Not like the original has an edge over the copy.

They even added a small message at the game box, stating that there will be free DLC included. Until now, no news of it. All the more reason to get the pirated version.

Most amazing jew boots
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 04:42 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2008, 10:42 PM #59 of 61
Serious bumpage.

After being stuck with an antique for far too long, I'm finally getting a new PC sometime next week. Are there any obvious or not so obvious games released in the last year-and-a-half I should check out now that I can actually play them? My preferences go out towards anything action-oriented, but feel free to surprise me.
Get S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl. Oh it's got action. More challenging and rewarding action than most. But there's also free roaming exploration, and it can be the most atmospheric and frightening game you will play. The devolopers managed to create a world immersive both in its gritty Eastern Europe authenticity, and in its reality distorting special effect set pieces. Certain moments of STALKER will stay in my gaming memory for a long long time to come.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:24 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2008, 02:24 PM #60 of 61
Get S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl. Oh it's got action. More challenging and rewarding action than most. But there's also free roaming exploration, and it can be the most atmospheric and frightening game you will play. The devolopers managed to create a world immersive both in its gritty Eastern Europe authenticity, and in its reality distorting special effect set pieces. Certain moments of STALKER will stay in my gaming memory for a long long time to come.
You know, I've heard nothing but good things about this game, so I gave it a try. I wanted to love it. I tried to love it, but I ended up uninstalling it about an hour in. I couldn't fucking stand the completely shitty interface; not necessarily the graphical aspect, but how you interact with the game. IE, not being able to select certain weapons with the scroll wheel, not being able to actually see what weapons are where when you scroll for them. It caused me to run around flipping randomly through weapons until I accidentally landed on the right one. There were other issues to, mostly little things like not being able to disable sprint-lock... trivial I know, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get immersed if I was constantly cussing at the technical things.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
bigredmachine
Banned

Member 31386

Level 1.47

Aug 2008

Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:05 PM 1 #61 of 61
Battlezone II (one of the most underated game ever !!)

Deus Ex (it just ... O_o !!!)

Freelancer

Half-Life (it so a classic !)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Starship Trooper

MW4: Merc

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Reccomend-a-Game (and proper spelling)