Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Demon's Souls - So the world might be mended. So the world might be mended. So the wo

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 05:16 PM Local time: May 20, 2009, 03:16 PM #26 of 84
Just because a game has english text doesn't mean it makes fucking sense.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 05:50 PM Local time: May 21, 2009, 12:50 AM #27 of 84
I haven't played it, but as I understand the English in Demon's Souls is mostly all right. Regardless, that doesn't mean Atlus can just take everything as is and release it right away. Polishing the English script, preparing and printing the manual, pressing the discs, having it rated by ESRB, preparing any bonus material, which Atlus usually includes, organising whatever other things they have to do, it takes time. All things considered, a release in four months or so is very reasonable.

How ya doing, buddy?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 05:58 PM Local time: May 20, 2009, 04:58 PM #28 of 84
Confused as to why it's going to take till Fall 2009 though.
It's Atlus. It takes time for them to ramp up production and turn out the 21 copies they're gonna make of this.

Probably also some stupid cardboard box and a soundtrack sampler or something.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Detection

Member 16824

Level 14.04

Dec 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 08:06 PM #29 of 84
and a soundtrack sampler or something.
I'll take it!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 08:46 PM Local time: May 20, 2009, 08:46 PM #30 of 84

That's from Wild Arms 5 judging by the file name, bud. I've played a ways in to DS and 99% of the English makes complete sense. There are one or two typos or grammar issues, but it's still clear. The spoken dialogue is perfect.

Really, they just need to touch up very few pieces of script. Aside from that, the status screen should have an overhaul. Strength, speed, luck, etc are all odd symbols. I've gotten used to it, but had to reference a Wiki on occasion initially.

The imported version is 100% playable. Unless Atlus releases some nice bonus content, I won't bother buying the US release.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; May 20, 2009 at 08:50 PM.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 11:32 PM Local time: May 20, 2009, 09:32 PM #31 of 84
That's from Wild Arms 5 judging by the file name, bud.
I know. I was the person who named the file that, guy. My point was that Demon's Souls would not be setting some sort of precedent if its english was shit.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2009, 10:43 PM Local time: May 23, 2009, 09:43 PM #32 of 84
Eurogamer gives Demon's Souls a 9/10: Demon's Souls Review - Page 1 // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:25 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 01:25 PM #33 of 84
Demon's Soul and the monsters that are going to destroy you.

The game is "Demon's Soul" and from what I've heard, this game is suppose to be extremely brutal but incredibly rewarding. Atlus is releasing this game over here in October, it's by the developer FromSoftware.

Here's the trailer for it:
YouTube - Demon's Soul PS3 Trailer (HD)

From what I've heard as well, the Korean version has full english text and dialogue, the only thing that's not translated is the manual. Has anyone here imported/played it yet? What have you thought of it? I've heard that being a mage can make the boss fights way too simple but other than that it's suppose to be a great experience.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:42 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 05:42 PM #34 of 84
Import copies cost an arm and a leg. I bet the American copy will be cheaper. I'm very interested, but waiting for the US release. Incidentally, there's a thread by Gech about this already.

Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:47 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 01:47 PM #35 of 84
Shit, I tried searching for it and hit no results about another thread. Sorry to any admin that has to clean this up.

I don't find the import copies too much. But that might be because a lot of games here cost like 69.99, and to import this game it only costs like 75 bucks, plus like 4 dollars shipping.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:50 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 07:50 PM #36 of 84
The game is hard as hell, but it's fantastic. I'll probably re-buy it once it's stateside, but it is 100% playable in its Korean version. There are a few instances of Engrish, though, but the voice acting is flawlessly done, oddly enough

Lots of steep difficulty curves. Once you clear a tricky spot, the game just ramps it up. "Oh. You had trouble with one of these guys? Okay. Now you'll fight three at once. While archers are shooting at you. Have fun "

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:54 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 05:54 PM #37 of 84
There's also an AP bar which decreases EVERYTIME you do a specific action, so you can't basically go and rush enemies.

Oh and if you can master riposting, it's gonna save you a lot of headache. Personally I haven't mastered it yet.

Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:56 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2009, 07:56 PM #38 of 84
Yeah, riposting is something I never do. It just isn't my play-style. I block and strike. My dude can't maneuver all that great.

For the most part, you'll find rings and weapons. Your initial armor is probably the same armor you'll always have (barring shields). Also, armor heavily decides your maneuverability. My platemail-clad knight can do a roll, but it is hilariously slow.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 AM #39 of 84
Picking this one up today and preparing to cry like the little girl that I am.....

Dead or Alive meets Contra meets Ninja Gaiden. Ugh.

FELIPE NO
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:50 PM #40 of 84
Mine's shipping from Amazon in the next couple of days, so I should have it by the weekend, which is perfect.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:01 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 11:01 AM #41 of 84
I got a text saying I could pick it up this afternoon, which I intend to do. Looking forward to doing some co-op with you guys.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:11 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 03:11 PM 1 #42 of 84
Lukage --
Bwuh? :V It's King's Field meets, Ninja Gaiden (difficulty sounds about right though). Not seeing where DoA comes in to this

Folks will be GRIPING about this game's difficulty though, most definitely.

I sold my International version for $60 on Ebay (lolwhat) and will re-buy the domestic version in the near future. Was perfectly playable, but not without its glitches (which Atlus addressed).

Also, unless you wanna get griefed, play offline until you're used to the combat. There is a special spear that will DESTROY your armor/weapon/etc. If you come across a dude who fights you with that, you'll be paying astronomical amounts to get fully repaired once again.

Also, choose your class wisely. Chances are, you won't be changing your base armor that much at ALL in the game. Your wands, accessories, weapons, and shields will shift around, though.

Enjoy getting destroyed. Past a point, get used to losing TONS of souls.

That's right. If you die, your souls (currency for EVERYTHING. Stat increases, repairs, weapons, buying spells, etc) will be left where you kicked the bucket, surrounded by a fresh spawn of enemies leading up to that point. If you die again, that cache of souls from your first death are GONE. However, if you ragequit the game following a death, your stuff will be there when you start back up. Always reassuring =)

Personally? I'm gonna give Uncharted 1 another crack (demo felt really lame to me initially) in preparation for #2. I'll hit this up around Xmas probably

Edit: Deni dissed this for no reason whatsoever it seems :V

Last edited by Gechmir; Oct 6, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 03:49 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 01:49 PM #43 of 84
Plus they NEVER tell you what sections are difficult.

"hey there's a lone knight with a spear. THIS WILL BE OVER IN 5 MINUTES"
::knight sees player, charges with spear drawn::
::2-hit KO::

Plus when you die, you go back at the beginning of the ENTIRE dungeon. And like Gech said, ALLsouls you've accumulated will be gone. Forever.

It's doable but it will definitely frustrate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:12 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 04:12 PM #44 of 84
Yeah. If you have a gut feeling of something horrible being up ahead, YOUR GUT IS FREAKING RIGHT

Thankfully, you open up short-cuts throughout levels (ie: open a portcullis, unlock door, etc) in addition to wiping out annoyances (ie: red dragon in the first world that does passes along the huge wall, spewing fire. Get about 100 arrows, position yourself right, and pew pew pew until he dies. FOR GOOD <3).

The game's difficulty curve is pretty hilarious, too. You might think "I finally have this tricky mob figured out", but the game then throws three of them at you at once. Hell, one of the later bosses can DE-LEVEL YOU, evidently.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:52 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 10:52 PM #45 of 84
The game's difficulty curve is pretty hilarious, too. You might think "I finally have this tricky mob figured out", but the game then throws three of them at you at once. Hell, one of the later bosses can DE-LEVEL YOU, evidently.
Monsters that de-level you are not an entirely uncommon trick in old-school D&D run by an appropriately evil DM. It sounds like Demon's Souls is exactly that - a series of solo classic style D&D adventures run by an evil and sadistic fuck of a DM.

Of course, the reason people play with a DM like that is because he plays hard but mostly fair, and when you eventually defeat all his tricks, the sense of satisfaction is enormous.

Therein lies the appeal I see in this game. Once my damn copy eventually crosses that wide Atlantic ocean, I'll find out if I'm right.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:28 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2009, 06:28 PM #46 of 84
Well, that sucked. I went into GameStop and asked if they had the game, but the guy responded with "Yeah, I guess a lot of people got that text, too. But we won't get it until tomorrow."

Ah well. I'll just look at classes and figure out what kind of character I want to make.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:32 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2009, 01:32 AM #47 of 84
I couldn't figure out where to get anything other than warrior-ish gear (I'm a Priest) so I held on to my 10,000 souls in the phalanx area with the dragon. Fucking dogs. One hits you and then if another one does, you're dead. They knock you back and forth.

So I'm in the second area with nothing. Where the shit do I get spells and whats with the girl telling me to go up the stairs and talk to the statue? Where the hell do I go? I went all the way to the top.

Also angst at the spear guy in the first area worth 2000 souls. I died like 12 times to him until I got him to walk off a ledge....

So I lost my 10k and said fuck it. Accidentally used the soul of the phalanx beast (no clue if I should have kept it). Buying gear sucks because the different gear had no stat differences. I cant buy spells or make use of the wand i got. I can't SELL any items...

I find a message saying "Its safe here" and walk on the bridge only to get mowed down by the dragon. I can't USE most of the weapons I get because I'm a fucking priest!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! FUCKBALLS! At least I got the Deluxe and yes, I'll be playing again tomorrow. Fuck.

FELIPE NO
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:58 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2009, 04:58 AM #48 of 84
Yeah, the dude with red eyes is guarding the Old King's tomb I believe. You head there later (once you have a key) to handle him. His attacks are all thrust-based, so he's in an ideal placement; the parapet is really narrow with little room to maneuver. Lure him back to get to open ground and you can run circles around him.

There's one part where you see the dragons in the distance just hanging out on a cliff. Once you kill mistah red dragon, you can head over and grab those items. Time it right and you can get all but one of them.

You're supposed to head WAY to the very top. There's someone you talk to at practically the very top of the room. Following that, you can burn points on stats, I believe.

Also, like I said earlier, play as the armored dude on the cover for your first run-through. Most other classes are too damn squishy. The thief and ranger are awesome to play as, but only once you know how to maneuver properly. Otherwise, it's one huge handicap. Plus, chances are you won't be changing much if any of your body armor throughout the game. It's all accessories, weapons, and shields.

Hold on to boss souls in the future. You use them to create unique weaponry once you gain access to the special smithy.

Look around on ground level if you want to buy spells. The guys are hanging out around there. Just poke around.

And yes, dogs suck. But if you think DOGS suck, wait until you see skeletons. Those guys will give you an aneurysm.

ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:06 PM #49 of 84
For those who have played it, do these unknown soldier's soul (and other souls of this variety) have any other purpose other than consumption? I'll be holding onto the boss souls after having read this thread, but I've gotten quite a few of these other souls, but am afraid to use them.

This game is definitely a lot of fun so far and I've died my fair share of deaths. I've only cleared area 1-1 for now and have explored 1-2 (that dragon sucks...but so do the dogs...), 2-1, and 3-1 (those octopus things...if they paralyze you, good luck...) a bit. Can't wait to play it again tonight.

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2009, 01:38 PM Local time: Oct 7, 2009, 01:38 PM #50 of 84
They're for consumption. But special monster ones (aside from, say the small Fire Dragon) are used for making uber weaponry. Therefore, be sure not to use boss souls. I'd hold on to those soldier souls items. See them as "safe". If you die, those'll stay on you. Only use 'em if you need a bit more souls to buy something or want to splurge. If you don't touch 'em, they're your rainy day souls :V

Try 4-1 if you guys wanna cry. Seriously. The game is rather non-linear, but some parts are really sadistic. I found 2-1 to be relatively simple, honestly. Hit it up ASAP. There are one-time-kill mobs that carry sacks. If you kill them, you get a TON of ore (splinters, shards, chunks, etc). Can't farm 'em, but making an initial sweep is recommended.

Also, dogs do suck. Facing a pack of them is tricky. Just block and bide your time.

As far as farming spots? 4-2 and 2-2 are the most well-known locations, I believe. 2-2 is probably the best. I never got to those, but they're supposed to be awesome.

Last edited by Gechmir; Oct 7, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Demon's Souls - So the world might be mended. So the world might be mended. So the wo