Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)

Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:29 PM #101 of 147
But Mo0 can't even hide himself he's so fa-- NOT EVEN TRYING TO HIDE THE WEIGHT THING

(Couldn't resist throwing a joke in there)

As far as how the game goes, I've only been up to Chapter 5 at this point. Was able to get Vyse in early, but no Aika yet.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kagosin; Nov 12, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:35 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2008, 08:35 PM 1 #102 of 147
Jesus fucking Christ, could we not derail every fucking thread with petty bitching, please.

Back on topic: game still rocks, and I still haven't made it very far in. I've got to chapter 7 I think, and have been distracted by Gears 2 and LBP. Will make an effort to put some time into it this weekend though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 03:47 PM #103 of 147
I'm currently dead stuck at Chapter 17. The field is full of enemy tanks and anti-tank weaponry, and it's at the point where enemy Lancers are practically being used as rocket snipers. They're stupidly accurate and can one-shot anybody not in cover/at a base. This is the only map in the game so far that I've found downright frustrating.

That being said, the rest of the game has been a blast.

FELIPE NO
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:10 PM #104 of 147
Stuck on chapter 9, will suck cock to get Vyse.

Amazing game, chapter 7 was all whoa and chapter 8 was all Baw.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:32 PM #105 of 147
Stuck on chapter 9, will suck cock to get Vyse.
Oh, wait, so the recruit selection is random in everyone's game? I had Vyse and Aika in my first batch of recruits.

How ya doing, buddy?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:47 PM #106 of 147
It seems that way. I got Aika first, then Vyse awhile later. Also my roommate got Catherine in their first batch of recruits and I didn't get her until much later on.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:58 PM #107 of 147
It seems that way. I got Aika first, then Vyse awhile later. Also my roommate got Catherine in their first batch of recruits and I didn't get her until much later on.
Is Catherine supposed to be a character from another game?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:35 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2008, 05:35 PM #108 of 147
The Medic is from another game o'course :3 Note the bio's later entry that the medic is actually a set of triplets, named Mina, Gina, and Fina. Often seen chatting with Aika & Vyse. Sup Skies of Arcadia

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:57 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2008, 10:57 PM #109 of 147
It seems that way. I got Aika first, then Vyse awhile later.
Mine has ended up this way too, so I have them both in my squad now. Not sure if I have anyone called Catherine available. So yeah, appears to be a little random how people appear (apart from any story characters, if there are any beyond Rosie and Largo).

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 07:45 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2008, 04:45 PM #110 of 147
I didn't know acquiring characters was random. I had Vyse and Aika from the start. I guess Zaka is the only other character that you get at a set point, then.

Lately I've been intentionally using characters that haven't been interviewed yet, just to find out their hidden potentials. Unfortunately, from what I've seen so far, most of those are negative potentials.

Oh, and the game answered my previous question about airplanes. I guess aviation tech is only at Wright Flyer level, probably because engineers are too busy making ridiculously huge tanks.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:00 PM #111 of 147
Oh, and the game answered my previous question about airplanes. I guess aviation tech is only at Wright Flyer level, probably because engineers are too busy making ridiculously huge tanks.
You know what this means: if the war goes on long enough (if I understand correctly, Gallia is just a piece of it) some bright spark is likely to conclude - just like in our own WW1 - that the best way to break the armor stalemate is to work that third dimension.
Because the other side will have to play catch-up in developing their own aircraft and triple-A systems) whoever makes that leap will find a window of opportunity wherein analogues to aircraft like the Shtumovik and G-variant Stuka (the latter's most infamous pilot, one Hans-Ulrich Rudel, racked up over 500 tank kills over the course of his combat career) can rain death on armor pretty much without contest. And let us not forget the myriad of other advantages command of the sky brings.
While the anime adaptation is likely to follow and develop a bit upon the game's events, the above scenario would, I think, be interesting to look at in a treatment of the larger war.
On a lighter note, was anyone else tempted to make humorous comparisons between ragnite and tiberium...?

FELIPE NO
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:24 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2008, 12:24 AM #112 of 147
I dunno, I think they excluded airplanes intentionally, which is a shame since aircraft done in the alternate universe styling they have going would be pretty awesome.

Also lollin at anime adaptation. Just watch, Edy and Aisha will suddenly be main characters.

Edit: Oh great, the chapter I'm on has an episode after the battle with a picture of most of the main plot characters looking solemn at a cemetery. No good will come of this.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Animechanic; Nov 13, 2008 at 03:45 AM.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:18 AM #113 of 147
I dunno, I think they excluded airplanes intentionally, which is a shame since aircraft done in the alternate universe styling they have going would be pretty awesome.
Given that - as we have, I believe, proven - most people find the idea of WW2-approximate tech that somehow skipped aircraft a bit difficult to believe, I believe it would be interesting to read the developers' own rationale.
To reiterate: if the writers are going to do more with this universe they've created here, folks cluing in to the advantages offered by command of the skies would be good material.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:34 AM #114 of 147
A WW1 styled air combat game in the canvas engine could be awesome, or it might leapfrog to WW2 styled fighters/bombers(with glowing weakspots oh shi) due to ragnites awesomeness.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 07:12 AM Local time: Nov 13, 2008, 12:12 PM #115 of 147
Edit: Oh great, the chapter I'm on has an episode after the battle with a picture of most of the main plot characters looking solemn at a cemetery. No good will come of this.
OK, I mentioned this in #xblive, and I'm going to say it here: watch the fucking spoilers!

Thankfully nothing thus far has jumped out to me as spoilerific, but we've come awfully close now a few times and I don't really want the story spoiled for me, however unimportant some people consider it. If you are going to post something you think might be spoilerish, put it in spoiler tags, it's not that difficult.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 03:31 PM #116 of 147
A WW1 styled air combat game in the canvas engine could be awesome, or it might leapfrog to WW2 styled fighters/bombers(with glowing weakspots oh shi) due to ragnites awesomeness.
Well, if you're talking a 'Wings: VC Edition' game (for want of a more fitting title), you can't go too wrong following, mechanicswise, the path defined by the likes of Blazing Angels or Ace Combat. Complete with impressive boss fights... with something like the land battleship Marmot proven to exist, an analogue to the Aigaion and its task force is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Of course, just to be annoying, the weak spots on said boss units almost certainly have shrouds of some sort (hello, Chandelier)...

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:25 PM #117 of 147
Just finished the game. Very nice the whole way through, will definitely be giving it multiple playthroughs eventually.

The ending, in a word.

Spoiler:
D'awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Very happy.

Now to wait for the DLC.

Also

Spoiler:
After the credits/etc., it said "The Galliant Front: THE END" Let's have the rest of the war!

... although considering this game made both sides look like huge douchebags. Hmm.

Last edited by Taco; Nov 13, 2008 at 04:38 PM.
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:34 PM #118 of 147
Well, if you're talking a 'Wings: VC Edition' game (for want of a more fitting title), you can't go too wrong following, mechanicswise, the path defined by the likes of Blazing Angels or Ace Combat. Complete with impressive boss fights... with something like the land battleship Marmot proven to exist, an analogue to the Aigaion and its task force is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Of course, just to be annoying, the weak spots on said boss units almost certainly have shrouds of some sort (hello, Chandelier)...
Taking a good look at Crimson Skies would also be apt, that universes mechanics for flight and aircraft customization lends itself well to the VC universe. It even has big giant blimps that function similarly to the Aigaion.

Are there other continents in this universe besides Europan(Europa?)? If not make up another one and we have us a hot cold war.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 05:17 PM #119 of 147
Taking a good look at Crimson Skies would also be apt...
Good call there; I'd forgotten about that franchise.
I take this opportunity to address a veiled comment above: given their treatment of both sides, it would appear that the writers have taken some cues from UC Gundam - this is a good thing.

FELIPE NO
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:37 PM #120 of 147
So the empire = Zeon, Federation = Feds, Gallia = ???

Most amazing jew boots
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:47 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2008, 03:47 PM #121 of 147
OK, I mentioned this in #xblive, and I'm going to say it here: watch the fucking spoilers!
I wasn't trying to spoil. I'm just griping. I can see the depressing plot twist coming from a mile away and now I'm putting off the battle because I don't want anyone to die ;_;

Guess I'll go try the new skirmishes I got.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:46 PM #122 of 147
So the empire = Zeon, Federation = Feds, Gallia = ???
Gallia would, from what I understand of the storyline, be the poor sods caught in the middle, what with having the misfortune to lie astride a convenient line of attack or atop valuable resources.
On another note, imagine the mechanics of Endwar being applied to this setting... it seems to me a logical scale-up if you want to make a game taking a look at the larger war.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2008, 09:51 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2008, 06:51 PM #123 of 147
I really didn't get a good look at Selvaria's tits until tonight. Holy shit!

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:28 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2008, 07:28 PM #124 of 147
Yeah... and she's what, 22?

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:14 AM #125 of 147
I started a Hard Mode skirmish, and holy shit they do not mess around. Starting in a corner completely surrounded by enemy elites (this was Skirmish 1), complete with Destroyer tanks and Gatling Guns? Ouch.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)