Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:31 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 01:31 AM #1 of 147
Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)

Originally Posted by Source
Outside of its visual style, one of the original talking points of Battlefield Valkyrie was that it's coming to us from the people who made Sakura Taisen. The team has also worked on a number of other SEGA classics. Producer Ryutaro Nonoka is known for the Shinobi and Kunoichi games. Director Shuntaro Tanaka previously worked on Skies of Arcadia.
Article with Details!

Storyline Trailer!

Tutorial Trailer!
Pictures!:

Cell-shaded graphics, but the shading technique looks fucking AWESOME. The story is set in a different universe of course, but the technology and setting obviously is akin to World War 2 (the European Campaign in particular).

Gears of Desu, it seems~ Headshots, tank units, anti-tank units, soldier units, snipers, heavy machine guns, etc. This looks like a god damn blast. To top it off?

NO FUCKING SONIC. No butchering classic series (I'm looking at YOU, Shining Force). Something fresh.

The fact that it has minds from the Sakura Taisen games in addition to the director from Skies of Arcadia makes this an instant must-buy for me. If the PS3 doesn't pick this up, it'll be almost as big of an atrocity of Front Mission 5 getting swept aside. The system needs an RPG (and this is a healthy mix of that and other genres), and this is just what is needed. I look forward to this coming to the states (assuming it gets announced).

I hope this is a turning point for Sega. Their games have been laughable after the Dreamcast fell through, but this is the first interesting game of theirs since that has intrigued me.

Edit -- This game is a nice amalgamation of genres. If someone wants to get antsy about it, just move it to general video games. But it's strategy/action/RPG/etc =O

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Jan 16, 2008 at 01:35 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:44 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 12:44 AM #2 of 147
See, I'd have preferred Shining Force IV (bundled with Shining Force III complete, of course)... but, I have to say, I've been watching this since I first heard about it, and I like what I see. The mechanics look fun, the graphics look sweet, and in general, it looks like something worth keeping an eye on.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:06 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 12:06 AM #3 of 147
Yeah this is one I've been intently keeping my eye on. It's showing a heck of a lot of potential and I think a solid story is all that will be needed to pull this one together.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:10 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 06:10 PM #4 of 147
Can't really comment on the game itself 'cause this is the first I've heard of it. Awe-inspiring graphics, though. I may as well keep my eye on it too, given its from the creators of Sakura Taisen.

(Knowing Sega it's probably just an awesome yet misguiding mini-game from something like this)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:18 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 04:18 AM #5 of 147
I had/have a game idea which features some of the same things going on (The tank, WWII-level of Tech, Army fighting in a rustic village) ... for that I'm a little saddened, but hey, the game might be fun.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:00 AM #6 of 147
This definitely looks interesting; I hope Sega entertains the thought of bringing this to the 360 as well... which raises the general question: given the process' costs and all other considerations being equal, what incentive is there to a develop a game for just one console? Conversely, I imagine a console company would have to lay out some serious incentive to land an exclusive.
Given that, historically, tanks (along with APCs and IFVs) succeeded horse cavalry, it is amusing that the anti-tank weapon resembles a lance or pike. In a similar vein, I am interested in how all this development took place, and nobody thought to implement camouflage... the player characters' uniforms are nice and all, but they seem more suitable as 'dress blues' than actual field wear.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:16 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 01:16 PM #7 of 147
PS3? Nooooo

This looks fucking awesome. Cel-shading isn't done enough on these newfangled consoles.

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:17 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 08:17 AM #8 of 147
Be wary of Ryutaro Nonoka. The Nightshade and Shinobi games are notorious for being visually pleasing... and having questionably enjoyable platforming and objectives. Granted with minds from other games, I imagine he might be able to shake that problem. It looks great, these days it's amazing how any sketch can now be rendered near perfectly in 3D when given the proper effort.

Sega's doing fine to me... because, well, Virtua Fighter 5 and Iplugmyearswhenitcomestoothergamesbythem.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:13 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 09:13 PM #9 of 147
I love it when they mix various game elements like this! This makes it another game making the PS3 look even more interesting in my eyes. If this keeps up there's only a matter of time until I buy a PS3.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 02:42 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 02:42 PM #10 of 147
I'm glad to see that el-shading hasn't been completely abandoned by next-gen consoles. White Knight Story makes some use of cel-shading, but this looks to be full-blown cel.

Looking forward to hearing some more information. I'll try and keep you guys updated as to when this gets a date in GameStop's reserve list.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:37 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:37 AM #11 of 147
BUNCH OF MOST-EXCELLENT SCREENSHOTS + TRAILER + LIMITED EDITION STUFF

Game looks pretty hot so far. I hope it delivers, because I think I'm gonna buy it (JP version) on day 1 or damn close to it.

Most amazing jew boots
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:44 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 07:44 PM #12 of 147
Here's hoping when they bring this over that they have the sense to keep the name as Valkyrie of the Battlefield.

I'm a little unclear as to how exactly is this going to play though. Real time or turn based? Traditional or tactical? Do you command troops or one character etc. Either way, the color-sketches-brought-to-life visuals are lovely, and should they keep the name, it could mean the rest of the game will have a similar sense of sweeping epic grace.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:54 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:54 AM #13 of 147
I'm a little unclear as to how exactly is this going to play though. Real time or turn based? Traditional or tactical? Do you command troops or one character etc.
Here you go.
It's a big download, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what's up.

How ya doing, buddy?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:02 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 01:02 PM #14 of 147
Even after viewing the video, I'm a little stumped. It looked like "Command Mode" had you go RTS-style and order specific characters to a location, at which point "Action Mode" had you control them briefly, like a drastically scaled-down RTS you could take direct control of -- something like Savage, actually.

Still couldn't tell whether or not the combat was turn-based or real-time though.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:45 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 08:45 PM 1 2 #15 of 147
What's that, Baby's First Photoshop Sketch Filter: The Game?

FELIPE NO
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:56 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:56 PM #16 of 147
Well that does clear it up a tad bit. Not quite clear on the command points system, but the action mode seems clear enough. Movement and shooting use up your AP, so you can only do so much during your turn with each unit.

Though I have a feeling I'd be more comfortable if the game did away with the command mode view entirely and made the whole game turned based, from the action mode viewpoint, Silent Storm style.

Either way, It certainly looks a lot more interesting than any of the other next-gen RPGs I've seen so far. Let's just hope the two systems fit together well enough.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Feb 21, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 02:23 PM #17 of 147
Thanks for the heads-up, Hindman. I'll have to watch that video later, but here's a quick bit of speculation on command points...
They could serve as a cap on force size, maybe with - as is the case with SJ Games' Ogre and GEV - larger, more powerful units 'costing' more to field.
I reiterate my comments on the player characters' uniforms: I can dig the cut and style, but the coloration still seems better suited for ceremonial functions than actual field work. The in-universe explanation for this is hopefully interesting.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:08 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 12:08 PM #18 of 147
Sega announced today that the game is coming to the US this fall under the name Valkyria Chronicles.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:06 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 04:06 PM #19 of 147
So I uploaded the previously linked video and a couple others to the Youtube dealie. (Hindman gets with the times, oh snap :O ) The bigger, better-quality/higher-res versions are the downloadable, but you know the 'Tube -- it at least gets the point across, heh.
YouTube - RPGLand's Channel

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2008, 08:21 PM Local time: Feb 25, 2008, 08:21 PM #20 of 147
Yep, it's coming:
MAXCONSOLE - Playstation 3 - Valkyria Chronicles announed for the West

Made my day =D

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:16 PM #21 of 147
New gameplay promotional trailer detected.
Aside from showing off more boots-on-the-ground gameplay (notes here: some cover is destructible (4:43) - or, at least, can be rammed through by tanks - and certain things explode violently under rifle fire (0:55)) and expounding a bit on the backstory (the invasion of Gallia seems to boil down to grand theft writ large), some aspects of character growth are made clear. Experience points seem to be awarded to a pool, from which you draw to develop the various unit types (5:39); further, new and improved tools of the trade become available as the game progresses (an incenerator is seen at 4:13; a mated GL seems to be evidenced at 6:25). Speaking of tanks: first, facing seems to matter (4:55 - exposed engine systemry + AT weapon = insta-kill); and second, given that tank armament can be upgraded, I cannot help but wonder if it's possible to field a flame tank (these were common in WW2's Pacific theatre with good reason)...
This said, with arrival on this side of the Pac scheduled for autumn, shouldn't Sega be getting started on raising interest early? A subtitled version of this trailer would be an easy and relatively cheap first step.

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 09:48 PM #22 of 147
Given that Sega does, in fact, plan on bringing this Stateside later this year, I saw fit to share with them my concerns with respect to the marketing thereof...

Quote:
To whom it may concern:
It has come to my attention that you intend to introduce Valkyrie of the Battlefield to the US gamer population later this year; this fact pleases me.
What concerns me, however, is that to my knowledge there seems to be no serious effort to cultivate interest. A relatively cheap first step, I believe, would be to make available subtitled versions of the various trailers; a full English mirror of the official site would be a logical progression. Please do not make the all-too-common mistake of creating an English website that is but a shadow of the 'original' - your developers, writers, and others have, I am sure, put a lot of work into this game and its world, and it would be a shame were the fruits of same were lost to potential customers.
As an example of 'how not to do it'... compare and contrast the Japanese website for Operation Darkness with its US counterpart.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:31 PM Local time: Apr 4, 2008, 07:31 PM #23 of 147
Holy crap Hitoshi Sakimoto is composing the music for this. We could have another Dragon Quarter here.

FELIPE NO
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2008, 02:03 AM #24 of 147
Tuneage

Holy crap Hitoshi Sakimoto is composing the music for this.
And we'll be able to nab our own copies of same in late May, according to this particular page at CDJapan.
Interestingly, while the tracklist is not provided there, you can get it direct from the proverbial horse's mouth. That's 57 tracks, including music not used in the game, divided between 2 discs.

Last edited by Firefly; Apr 13, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: More information added
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:26 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2008, 10:26 AM #25 of 147

So I was informed Vyse and Aika are in the game, as can be seen here as well. In before dozens of kotaku rumors on ETERNAL ARCADIA SEQUEL???????

Anyway, cameos are awesome. Especially if they come with Sakimoto music. This game is looking better and better each time~

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)