Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)

nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:23 AM Local time: Dec 12, 2008, 01:23 AM #126 of 147
Still have yet to get to the end, but I'm emjoying the ride immensely. I would so get a swquel if they made one - they could improve on a lot, which is saying something given that the game's a blast to play. Also, in tandem with what was stated above, I'd love to see stories of other fronts, other wars explored in said potential series. One can dream...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:44 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2008, 05:44 PM #127 of 147
Ok, finally beat the regular playthrough. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

And now, some observations:

1.) Playing as the empire in that DLC pack is gonna suck. The aim stats on their weapons are absolutely terrible. I can't imagine how frustrating trying to use any type of troop except shocktroopers is gonna be.

2.) Those LANCAAR-SH mortars still 1-shot tanks if you hit the radiator. Their aiming method actually makes them easier to bullseye the radiator with than if you were using a regular lance at the same distance too.

3.) I wanna see a DLC campaign of Radi Jaeger fighting a guerilla war to take back Fhirald. Mainly because his story seems incomplete, and he was the only Empire commander I actually liked.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:03 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2009, 08:03 AM #128 of 147
Bit of a bump to this here thread, but there's DLC news afoot:

Quote:
SEGA has announced that it's to release three packs of downloadable content for Valkyria Chronicles, its PS3 tactical RPG.

The three DLC packs, all due this spring, consist of a Hard EX Mode and two missions: Edy's mission 'Enter the Edy Detachment', and Selvaria's mission 'Behind Her Blue Flame'.

The hard mode makes enemies tougher and removes players' wain weapon, the tank Edelweiss, bringing strategy to the fore.

Edy's mission involves defending a small village with an outnumbered squad of six, while Selvaria's mission portrays the outbreak of war from the enemy perspective - specifically, that of a young engineer called Johann.
[ source ]

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DesertEase
Carob Nut

Member 5573

Level 5.90

Apr 2006

Old Mar 17, 2009, 03:54 PM #129 of 147
Good enough excuse for me to finally beat this shit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:05 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2009, 09:05 AM #130 of 147
Well, I can't confirm, but that DLC was supposed to be released today.

Bought the game at Gamestop the other day for 30 bucks. As many people noted, it was the only decent deal in their Game Days promotion, and I was curious to try it. I don't own a PS3, but I decided to borrow one to play it.

So... yeah. Wow this is awesome. I was mildly entertained for the first two missions, but obviously the Headquarters opens up the real meat of the game and now I'm in love. I remember skimming through this thread ages ago and hearing that Vyse and Aika were random in some way, so I wised up and reloaded when they gave me my pool of recruits. Got them both on the first reload, so I'm pretty giddy. Shocktrooper Vyse = <3

I like World War II history, so I've also been getting a kick out of poking fun of the corny parallels. From the brief mentioning of Darcsens, I'm assuming they're like the in-game equivalent of gypsies or something. Sort of silly, but I don't expect much from these stories anymore.

Great game, though. A steal at 30.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:05 AM #131 of 147
No, Kotaku got it wrong. Follow the link to the Playstation blog and you'll see that the DLC comes out next thursday, not today.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:21 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2009, 09:21 AM #132 of 147
Works for me. I don't plan on buying it until I have my own PS3.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:26 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2009, 04:26 PM #133 of 147
No, Kotaku got it wrong.
Shocker.

And yes, it's next week that the VC DLC hits:

Quote:
A number of you have been asking about this on our weekend posts, and today SEGA has the answer. Beginning with April 16th’s PlayStation Store update, gamers will be able to return to Gallia to fight some new EWII battles.

Here are details on the Valkyria Chronicles DLC, direct from SEGA:

* Hard EX Mode – fight your way once again through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You’ll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.
* Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” – six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with their squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.
* Selvaria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame”– Taking place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines, you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer assigned to Selvaria’s troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and see the war play out through the eyes of the enemy.
[ source ]

Man I really need to get back to this game sometime soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:14 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 04:14 PM #134 of 147
Okay, guys, seriously.

Did a pig with wings just join my squad?

PunyPeon
Chocobo

Member 17368

Level 9.15

Dec 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 06:21 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 03:21 PM #135 of 147
Yes it did!

I really wanna play the Edy and Selvaria missions. Should be a blast.

FELIPE NO
nanstey
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

Member 902

Level 10.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 12:24 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2009, 12:24 AM #136 of 147
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, too. Just need to beat it again - I lost my data when I sent my PS3 in for repairs - and I can't get it until I get paid Friday anyway, so oh well.

That which is, is. Sink or swim. - Wiliiam Shakespeare. There is no ignorange, there is knowledge. - From the Code of the Jedi
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:42 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2009, 02:42 PM #137 of 147
Okay, now I can confirm that the DLC is out. Checked the store personally.

How ya doing, buddy?
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:32 PM #138 of 147
File sizes are 220-something for Selvaria's pack, 120 for the Hard EX mode, and 80-something for Edy's pack.

Here's DLC that isn't just unlock codes.

Unless they're really, really big unlock codes.

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:50 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2009, 04:50 PM #139 of 147
I found the new update annoying, as it seems to only add an "Extras" option to the main menu to advertise the add-ons.

Oddly, Selvaria's mission is the one that least interests me. Edy Detachment sounds a lot like Seven Samurai (minus one person), and Hard EX mode sounds fun for the removal of the Edelweiss (which I often find a hindrance).

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 08:28 PM #140 of 147
Hard EX mode sounds fun for the removal of the Edelweiss (which I often find a hindrance).
Keep in mind you lose your biggest mobile cover for your units, as well.

I nabbed the DLC today, only had time to try out the Edy mission once. It's rough. Very rough.

Also, this came up a few days ago, but is always good news to hear:

Quote:
We've got exciting news for the three of you that bought Sega's surprisingly wonderful strategy-RPG Valkyria Chronicles -- in the latest issue of Famitsu, Nonaka Ryutaro, the game's producer, said he was pleased with Japan's reception of the war-torn title, and expressed interest in creating another installment in the franchise. However, considering the game was a commercial flop in North America and Europe, but absolutely beloved in Japan, where the title has spawned an anime series and reached Sony's Japanese Greatest Hits status, it's not certain that any prospective Valkyria sequels would find their way beyond Japan's borders.

Still, while this isn't exactly a cold, hard confirmation of Valkyria Chronicles 2, but it should be enough to pique your interest, provided you bought the game, which Vegas odds would dictate you did not.
From Joystiq.

Please make a sequel, and please get it translated. I will buy it nine times.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:25 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2009, 08:25 PM 1 #141 of 147
Fuck that, get these guys to work on a Skies of Arcadia sequel. We can really only expect Overworks/SegaWOW to stay consistently good for so long before Sega's taint finally ruins them too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:51 PM #142 of 147
Considering there's still a hell of a lot to wrap up with Valkyria, I think keeping the machine going when it's still fairly popular in japan wouldn't be a bad idea. Announcing it in the wake of the anime series would make sense, and that's wrapping up fairly close to when Tokyo Game Show hits.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:44 PM #143 of 147
Here's some more good news:

Quote:
In North America, Valkyria Chronicles jumped last week to top 5 among PS3 game sales, back on the list at #5, and behind only titles like Guitar Hero and Killzone 2. Considering the game came out last November, it’s an excellent sign that DLC, continued support from SEGA, and amazing support from all the Valkyria fans truly can have a great effect on game sales. Props to all you evangelists who are telling your friends and fellow PS3 owners to pick it up - you have made a difference!

The biggest success story, however, is in Japan - at a cheaper budget price for their re-heat of the title, it makes me extremely happy to announce that according to the Gamasutra info, Valkyria Chronicles was the highest selling game on amazon - period - in Japan last week, beating out the likes of Resident Evil 5 (Biohazard in Japan) and other blockbusters, and nestling in nicely on the same top 5 list as Yakuza 3, which ranked fifth. (Nice work to our counterparts in Japan!)
from Sega Blog.

Well, it was a late starter, but it looks like VC's starting to do a little bit better for itself.

FELIPE NO
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2009, 09:25 PM #144 of 147
This has been one of the only PS3 games that I'd get if I had the console, but I guess it couldn't hurt to ask: Does the continued sales and DLC success indicate a possible 360 port in the future? I had heard of a rumor about such a thing in early march but I chalked it up to just speculation and/or preemptive April fools nonsense.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:34 PM #145 of 147
I think the rumors stem from the fact that it was originally going to be a 360 title, but was canned for that system and was released on the PS3 instead.

Other than that I haven't heard about anything regarding a port. I'd take a sequel over a port, anyway.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:19 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2009, 09:19 PM #146 of 147
1.) Playing as the empire in that DLC pack is gonna suck. The aim stats on their weapons are absolutely terrible. I can't imagine how frustrating trying to use any type of troop except shocktroopers is gonna be.
Oh goddammit I so called it. At least Selvaria gets to kick ass with the Ruhm. She's pretty much the only imperial than can actually deal any damage.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:14 PM #147 of 147
Watch the horizon...

...because more DLC is on it, according to this IGN article. The 'bad' news? It's caused the resurfacing of those folks who've taken to whining about its lack of trophies - as if the various meals and unlockables weren't tangible reward enough. Take a gander at some of the comments in the related Joystiq entry.

White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles (AKA: Sega trying an RPG? LOOKS GOOD!)