Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Fantasy Wars: How to create an incredibly fun TBS with an utterly generic setting

Breakable
Meh

Member 1100

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:59 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 12:59 PM #1 of 3
Fantasy Wars: How to create an incredibly fun TBS with an utterly generic setting

Err.. that was meant to be "How TO create an..." yeah, so not awake yet.. sorry.

First:
The game design and the races are -utterly- generic.
You have humans, orcs, elves and dwarves. So, nothing new there.
Its your typical "we get invaded, boohoo" storyline, so nothing to expect from there as well, that said, its incredibly deep and fun. The battles take place on maps with hex based grid there, you can move units certain distances, some are great in close fighting and melee, others are capable of picking off enemies from the distance, you have a handful of flying units as well, and you got your obligatory hero units.

What makes this game so deep is that
a.) The environment is actively playing a role. For example, if an army is inside a town, its defence will be boosted, or if knights will have to fight in the forest, their attack power will be reduced, etc. Ive seen a goblin basic unit survive three knights attacking it (banged up, but alive) while in turn hurting each unit badly simply because it was situated on a hill (+attack and +defences for it) while those knights were in the forest surrounding it (-attack -defenses)
b.) Your units level. With every level they get, they will be given the choice to have some -perks- added to this unit. For example, bowmen might get an +1 in range if they stand upon a hill, or knights get the choice to add more armor, on the cost of some speed, etc. Every time you level, you get the choice of 3 perks, of which you can add 1. Those are generally either passive abilities (always on, like poisoned weapons) or active abilities (like spells, which you will have to use with a button press).
c.) Units and money persist and can be taken into the next level. So, if you keep your units alive and level those up, they will become stronger and more versatile with every round you play.
d.) You can upgrade units (for money) between levels. So you could make an archer at with 3 levels a riding archer for like 200 coins later, giving him added mobility and a few new abilities.

There is also a counter running down and if you complete a mission in a very short time, you will gain some bonus stuff, like an extra weapon or money, or a new unit, etc.

I didnt think much of this game, but I have to say, im pretty immersed in it. The gameplay is just terribly addictive and quite fun, and the difficulty ramps nicely up after a few missions.

Ignore the rather cheap production values, because if youre a fan of strategic games which really have you think and customization of troops, you will absolutely -love- this game.

Wiki stuff:
Quote:
Fantasy Wars (Russian: Кодекс Войны; formerly Mythic Wars) is a fantasy turn-based tactical computer game developed by Ino-Co and published by 1C Company. The game was released through GamersGate on October 2, 2007.[1] Fantasy Wars features four playable races (humans, orcs, elves and dwarves). The single-player story includes three campaigns, taking place over a series of tactical hex maps.[2] The game uses a 3D game engine and includes role-playing gameplay features such as experience points and skills.

Fantasy Wars is distributed electronically by GamersGate and will be published by in Europe by Nobilis France.[3] The game will be distributed in Scandinavia by Paradox Interactive[4] and in North America by Atari.[
Reviews:(ranging from 75 to 88 of 100 possible points)
Fantasy Wars (pc: 2007): Reviews

Pictures:
http://www.adrianwerner.neostrada.pl/2007/mythic.jpg
http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/pc/m/y/mywapc002.jpg
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/screensho...y_Wars_006.jpg
http://img3.nnm.ru/imagez/gallery/c/...08cff43f5d.jpg

Right now Im in the middle of the second campaign and its just plain fun.
This is one of the games you dont play for the Story, but simply because its fun to use environment and units to their best abilities and in turn see em grow and become more powerful.

Definitely underrated, and if they would have put as much thought into the setting and units as they did into the Gameplay this would be a top 20 Game of the year, imho

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Breakable; Jan 2, 2008 at 06:22 AM.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:47 PM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 12:47 PM 1 #2 of 3
I downloaded this one last week and I'll give it a whirl.

Sounds like a simplified version of Warcraft 3 (which I absolutely love)

EDIT: Haha, slow GFF + crashing = Double post evasion.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Lukage; Jan 2, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 03:12 PM #3 of 3
Double post?

Anyways, yes this is quiet similiar to WC3. I found the game alright... not the best but you know... the type you can stand playing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Fantasy Wars: How to create an incredibly fun TBS with an utterly generic setting