Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Endless Ocean

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:35 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 08:35 PM 2 #1 of 12
Endless Ocean

Developer: Arika (Gardening Guide Urban Reflex Beat Down '96, Spinny Hat Revenge of City, Neo-Frogger EX)
Publisher: Nintendo (Sonic the Hedgehog, Zool, Jumping Flash)
Release date: out now (PAL/JPN) next week (Americanada)
Price: $30

Hooooooly shiiiiiit! Did you play either of the Everblue games on PS2? No? Neither did I! But this is apparently a sequel with a new exciting name. I'm a few hours into it, but this is honestly one of the most amazing experience.. things I've had in gam-man I don't even know where the hell I'm going with that retarded sentence. Endless Ocean is bloody amazing okay, and you should probably try it too! 'Non-game' has become a popular roll eye worthy term lately, what with Brain Training destroying the industry. Endless Ocean isn't quite a non-game, there's certainly gameplay to be had... but this isn't for the action gamer. Go play some Rock 'N' Roll Racing, because why not? It's a good game.

It may be shocking to learn, but Endless Ocean is a game that contains a lot of water. Most of the time you'll be in it. You scuba dive around like a rock star, pretty much chilling out. Oh sure, there's lots to do, but shut up old lady, and stop kicking me there! The game starts you off with the controls, which are extremely easy. Simply point the controller in whatever direction and away you go, holding the B trigger to casually swim around. Don't like the B trigger? That's cool, press button - and the game will put you in cruise control. Button 1 will bring up a map on screen in case you get lost "I was sure the ocean was around here somewhere.." aaaand the d-pad will bring up your bag of tricks. From here you can toss some food around, whip out your camera, or return to the boat.

Oh yeah, this game has a boat. Impressive eh? There's some woman that has an erection for you on the boat, she gives you tips and.. well, pushes on the story. I think there's a story. You can walk around the boat, because your main character has legs surprisingly enough. Point the cursor to move around, like an adventure game! From here you recieve new missions via the mobile phone, get your photos developed, change equipment, pet wild penguins on the head and other mystery beasts that rock up for no reason, blah blah blah. There's even a deck chair to sit on and admire the view, oooh ho hoooo!

Wait, missions? You're sure doing a dreadful job explaining what the fuck this game is Infernal. I know, and I also talk to myself. Goons will leave you text messages, maybe wanting you to go find a certain fish and take a photo, or take someone on a tour, or even find stuff! Stuff is outstanding. I've really only scratched the surface of this game, but I was SO IMPRESSED TO THE NEW THREAD FACTORY. Endless Ocean is a beautiful game, which is good! Because it would sure be boring exploring a toilet. Arika have done an amazingly good job, the animation is especially striking. Fish zip about so fluidly. <3 The lighting is incredible too, this is seriously a game you need to see for yourself, there's no decent way of describing it without using lots of arty farty brain fluid leakin' out the nose words. It really doesn't help that Nintendo's done shit all to promote this game, hence basically no (decent) screens around. These off-screen YouTube videos are kinda pants too.

So you're dumped in an uncharted ocean, it's up to you to go explore every little section of it. You'll come across plenty of fish, which you get pet (yeah seriously) so they become your friends or whatever. Then you learn information about them! Uh oh, an educational game, head for the hills! They get recorded in your log book.. and there's.. forty pages of fish I haven't found.. yet. I've already come across some pretty great stuff, and I've only checked out a tiny section of the whole map. A SUNKEN SHIP!

YouTube Video
Whoever recorded this should have gone IN IT. >=(

You can become friends with Ecco the Dolphin too, it's part of the main story mode whatever, I've just spoiled the whole game for you. Once you befriend Ecco, you can teach him tricks. Like backflips! =D He'll even join you on dives if you want! It's pretty awesome. Oh man, so much to do. There's not much in the way of music so far (have to unlock most of it), but a few tracks by Hayley Westenra are in it. They suit the game really well. Luckily the game supports your own MP3s via the SD card. Bolded because it's sadly a pretty rare thing for Wii games.

YouTube Video
See? This guy's a legend, Perfect Dark music!

One of the first things the game tells you is to take it easy, nothing's rushed in this game. You can't even die (it takes like half an hour for your air supply to run out, and when that happens you simply zoom on back up to the boat). This is like throwing Oblivion underwater, then removing all the combat. And.. riding.. dolphins. Oh yeah, it's also got an online multiplayer mode, where two goons can simply fart around the ocean together, having a gay old time. Check it out if you're looking for something different. =)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Jan 16, 2008 at 05:39 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:44 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 02:44 PM 1 #2 of 12
I'm looking forward to getting this because it is awesome. Sadly, a good 90% of gamers will complain a lack of checkpoints, score, weapons and general gamey things to do as it's so dull oh god is this even a game where's the use key so pointless no achievements either god

Most amazing jew boots

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 06:55 AM #3 of 12
I love the underwater genre, its a rare title to see in making and rarely do they suck. Well okay... Jaws Unleashed did kinda suck. I appreciated the Ecco series and I just loved Everblue 2. Don't forget Treasures of the Deep Infernal!

I have this on my gamefly queue and hopefully it'll entertain me as it did for you. The key point in any underwater game is the music. I hope its great.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 07:32 AM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 02:32 PM #4 of 12
I found it incredibly boring, but it has some nice visuals. They've really captured the 'under water look'.
But props for having both MP3 support AND multiplayer.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:08 AM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 05:08 AM #5 of 12
It sounds super boring, yeah, but I'm surprised at how good it looks for a Wii game.

The mp3 thing is a first, isn't it? The game may be good, I dunno. It's getting an 8.1 from IGN from what I'm seeing. It sounds like something reminiscent of Aquaria.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:27 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 08:27 PM #6 of 12
Excite Truck, I think, have a MP3-player too.
The best thing about multiplayer should be, that you can draw on each other's screens. I haven't tried it, because most of the losers I know think Strikers is the only game on Wii. But I'd love to draw tits on somebody's screen, while petting a tortoise.

Infernal, wanna swim together?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Kilroy; Jan 16, 2008 at 01:30 PM.
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:19 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 02:19 PM #7 of 12
I don't get the frequent bashing this game. Sure, there are no objectives to speak of or any fantastical creations (like RPGs), but I find the exploration part the most enticing aspect of Endless Ocean. For me, games are a way to escape and for this game to allow you to explore a vast, open body of water convinced me to just give it a go. It also explains why I've preferred the slow, "take-in-the-surroundings" elements of Metroid Prime compared to the faster-paced Halo series (or any other FPS).

Although I do get your point, Kilroy and Elixir: pointless swimming around and looking after sea creatures doesn't look too swell on text. In any case, I'm getting it as soon as it comes... oh wait, it's out here already

FELIPE NO
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:08 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2008, 09:08 PM #8 of 12
This game looks intriguing and I'd probably pick it up if I had a Wii. These sort of games excite me because they do do something different. Should it be called a game? Perhaps not but then I think as a whole video games should be named differently, but that's a whole nother issue.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 03:14 AM Local time: Jan 17, 2008, 06:14 PM #9 of 12

Infernal, wanna swim together?
Come wiz Infernal as we dive into ze briny deep, searching for ze wily and elusive tits!

8668-5507-6683 =D

Jam it back in, in the dark.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:08 PM #10 of 12
Go play some Rock 'N' Roll Racing, because why not? It's a good game.
For a second, Infernal, I thought you were referring to this pile of garbage we're selling at work...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:47 PM #11 of 12
I'll swing by your Toys R Us and buy it off you for 3 dollars, Mo0. =)

Also, can't wait to have a gay old time with Endless Ocean. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I would like to know if multiplayer is region locked though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:35 PM #12 of 12
I enjoyed this game immensely. Bought it for like 24 dollars. I already got all of the MAJOR fish (magu even), events, etc except for all of the random fucking treasure (why? WHY is this even random?) and random fish to complete my encyclopedia.

Because of the random nature of the treasure locations and by when, I just sort of gave up from there. I still love Everblue 2 for its compulsive treasure collecting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Endless Ocean