Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Component / S-video cables
Closed Thread

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:41 PM #1 of 17
Component / S-video cables

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to TV cables so please help me on this one. I have a Sony Trinitron. This is probably obvious but I have S-video labeled on the back, that means I can only play S-video cables, and not component? And how old can the TV be to play component? HD-tvs only?

The cable sockets are: Video Red/Blue/Green, with Audio Red/white, which are exactly the same as the component wires. Maybe I can play with component?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]

Last edited by Sepharite; Aug 11, 2007 at 08:43 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:49 PM 1 #2 of 17
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to TV cables so please help me on this one. I have a Sony Trinitron. This is probably obvious but I have S-video labeled on the back, that means I can only play S-video cables, and not component? And how old can the TV be to play component? HD-tvs only?

The cable sockets are: Video Red/Blue/Green, with Audio Red/white, which are exactly the same as the component wires. Maybe I can play with component?
Yeah, you can use component cables with that set as what you're describing is basically the component input on countless television sets, HD or not.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:50 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2007, 06:50 PM 1 #3 of 17
Yes. You can play component.

This sorta question is like "I have antenna in and composite connections. Can I only use RF adapters?"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:09 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2007, 07:09 PM 1 #4 of 17
In order to use component cables, you must have an ED (enhanced definition) or HD TV.

If you're tech illiterate or whatever, look for blue and green sockets on any TV as composite only use yellow, red and white. Since your TV has them, it is capable of at least 480p.

Most amazing jew boots
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:15 PM #5 of 17
Sweet, thanks for the info!

Is there any difference between MatCatz's wires and the official Nintendo wires, other than the price?

I was speaking idiomatically.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:33 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2007, 07:33 PM #6 of 17
Possibly the quality and length of warranty.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:45 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 03:45 PM #7 of 17
In order to use component cables, you must have an ED (enhanced definition) or HD TV.

If you're tech illiterate or whatever, look for blue and green sockets on any TV as composite only use yellow, red and white. Since your TV has them, it is capable of at least 480p.
No, you can simply use component cables without having any sort of fancy television. I have a CRT non-HD TV, and a HDTV, and they both have component cable acceptability. The difference means that you can't use the Wii's "480p" resolution option with the non-HD TV, but you can still use component cables on it, which is the highest quality you're going to be able to get out of your tv.

It might have been easier if you posted your tv's model number.

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:25 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 05:25 AM 1 #8 of 17
"Are you a mothafuckin' ass?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Stop misrepresentin', E-Nigga. There was nothing misleading about what GB was sayin'.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:56 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 01:56 AM #9 of 17
Um..

Originally Posted by article 1
The common implementations of EDTV are 480 or 576-line signals in progressive scan (as opposed to 50-60 interlaced fields per second, see NTSC, or PAL and SECAM). These are commonly referred to as "480p" and "576p" respectively.
In comparison, a standard definition television (SDTV) signal is broadcast with interlaced frames and is commonly referred to as "480i" or "576i". EDTV can also refer to a display device that has a maximum resolution of 480p or 576p.
Because EDTV signals use a progressive scan, they have about 50% more perceived vertical resolution than interlaced SDTV pictures with the same number of lines, and do not show the spatial/temporal aliasing artifacts associated with interlaced video.
Originally Posted by article 2
Component video is capable of producing signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.
I'm not misrepresenting anything, the facts are right here. Try a little harder next time.

He said "In order to use component cables, you must have a EDTV or HDTV." which is wrong. You can use component cables on a SDTV, which is a tv which supports them, but not 480p.

My SDTV also accepts component cables, but it won't run in progressive scan, or 480p. I've tried.

Most standard televisions don't have component cable support here, because there's no demand for it. I remember phoning Sony NZ and they said "Wow component cables for the PS2? You must be making a pretty impressive set up."

Also, my SDTV supports a 16:9 mode, but that does not make it ture widescreen. It feels weird. My HDTV, however, supports both, as well as 720p and 1080i. The only problem is that it upscales quality for composite, s-video and component, which makes music/shooting/fighting games look like ass and play like ass.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:14 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 06:14 AM 1 #10 of 17
How we each interpreted Standard Definition and Enhanced Definition and "use" is pretty much different. See, I inferred he meant the functionality of enhancing the image, and you obviously felt like being an asshole.

Again.

Sadly, the topic creator already got his answer and I don't feel like having another scientific discussion with you. The long and short of it? You seem to have an incessant need to be an asshole and I'm more than happy to have played "fuck fuck semantics" with you, to watch you achieve this goal.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:17 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 11:17 PM #11 of 17
Yeah I remember selecting 480p in the Wii's menu and my TV spazzed out. It was awesome. Wait no it wasn't. It was really awesome.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Is there any difference between MatCatz's wires and the official Nintendo wires, other than the price?
Aren't MadCatz the company that make hopeless control pads out of hairballs and beer batter? I bought some Snakebite brand component cables because they were cheaper and like yeah, who the hell are Snakebite? Nobody will ever know. Not even the people that work there. Anyway it made everything look worse than the standard composite cables. Probably just go with the official stuff.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:26 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 03:26 AM #12 of 17
How we each interpreted Standard Definition and Enhanced Definition and "use" is pretty much different. See, I inferred he meant the functionality of enhancing the image, and you obviously felt like being an asshole.

Again.

Sadly, the topic creator already got his answer and I don't feel like having another scientific discussion with you. The long and short of it? You seem to have an incessant need to be an asshole and I'm more than happy to have played "fuck fuck semantics" with you, to watch you achieve this goal.
Are you a dupe of someone who holds a grudge? I can't see why someone would deliberately announce that they're willing to pursue flaming and trolling just to make someone else look like an ass..

Ok. Look. You didn't read the links you provided. And you don't know the difference between SDTV and EDTV. I'll explain:

Depending on the SDTV, it typically supports rf, composite, s-video and component. This is what mine supports, although an older television I have only supports composite. Composite is used for EVERY console shipped, regardless of whatever post-2000 console it is.

Standard definition televisions support (note: you said you understood his comment as using component for an "enhanced image") an enhanced image by using component cables. They provide 480i, but not 480p/progressive or above.

FURTHERMORE.

The thread is titled under the Wii category. This implies that he does not have any other seventh generation consoles, considering at least PS3 and 360 owners have HDTVs already. And I assume he doesn't have a HDTV - after all, the thread creator mentioned he didn't know much about televisions, yes?

And he mentioned he owned a Sony Trinitron, yes?

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Trinitron is Sony's brand name for its line of aperture grille cathode ray tube televisions and computer monitors. Sony invented the design in the 1960s and held the patent until 1996. "Trinitron" is sometimes used as a generic term for CRT monitors equipped with an aperture grille tube. Because of the expiration of Sony's Trinitron patent, manufacturers like Mitsubishi (whose monitor production is now part of NEC Display Solutions) are now free to use the Trinitron design for their own product line without license from Sony. However, they cannot use the Trinitron name; for example, Mitsubishi's are called Diamondtron. With the emergence of gas plasma, liquid crystal display and other newer technologies for monitors and televisions, Trinitron and similar brands have been in decline.

Trinitron tubes are considered by many to be the best in terms of image quality and are generally regarded to look better than LCD's. Trinitron TVs were also once regarded as the best available in terms of picture quality, and Sony charged a premium for them. Because of the nature of the design, they had bright colors and high contrast with good across-the-screen electron focus compared to other television designs.
From a wikipedia search I've found this information which - shock horror - I read. It mentions nothing about the sale or production of EDTV or HDTV Trinitron televisions. Now, I don't know this for sure as I've never even seen this brand before, but this means that he has a standard definition television.

But that post indicated that you couldn't use component cables to get an enhanced picture (your perspective) on a SDTV, only an EDTV and HDTV, right?

Wrong.

You can USE them on a freaking standard television, providing they have the red, green and blue holes at the back of the television. And since the thread creator most likely owns one, yes, you can use them, and yes, it will give an enhanced picture of 480i. But no, it won't give you 480p/progressive, and no, the Wii cannot output a higher HDTV resolution.

In short:

SDTV = lowest quality tv = component/scart = highest quality = 480i max.
EDTV = medium quality tv = component = highest quality = 480p+
HDTV = highest quality tv = component/hdmi = highest quality = 1080p.

I can see the confusion. But to say you cannot use cables on a television which supports them is wrong. The difference in quality is limited to the television, not the cables themselves.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:30 AM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 05:30 PM #13 of 17
Information transmitted. Thread over.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:07 PM #14 of 17
Hehe. Re-opened. xD If you're going to argue, please use Private Messages, even if you think you're helping.

Anyways, I just got ASID component cables. (It was $20 less than the official and I can return it anytime I wanted for store credit, so why not.) And... I see absolutely no difference at all. Maybe a 10% clearer picture but that's it. I guess it's my TV, cause I can't enable 480p. If I do, the picture gets jumbled.

I'll check later on my step-dad's HDTV if he allows me .___.

Thanks for the help again.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:30 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 09:30 PM #15 of 17
Wow, I didn't think a thread creator could override a mod closure.

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:54 PM #16 of 17
Hehe. Re-opened. xD If you're going to argue, please use Private Messages, even if you think you're helping.

Anyways, I just got ASID component cables. (It was $20 less than the official and I can return it anytime I wanted for store credit, so why not.) And... I see absolutely no difference at all. Maybe a 10% clearer picture but that's it. I guess it's my TV, cause I can't enable 480p. If I do, the picture gets jumbled.

I'll check later on my step-dad's HDTV if he allows me .___.

Thanks for the help again.
Well the improvement often depends on what cables you're upgrading from and your television. If you're going from composite (or RF) to component the differences are pretty obvious. The image becomes clearer, there's less color bleeding and the colors themselves are often more vibrant. Also, it's a bit brighter. One downside is that due to the improvements, you can see aliasing that was blurred or minimized with the other connections.

And yeah, it was mentioned before that you'd need at least an EDTV to take advantage of 480p, so it'll probably work on your step-dad's HDTV. Hell, I can't think of an HDTV that doesn't support 480p unless we're counting defective units.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:28 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 09:28 AM #17 of 17
Wow, I didn't think a thread creator could override a mod closure.
They can, but they shouldn't. And his post didn't warrant it and the question's already answered. Other discussion about cables on consoles can be done elsewhere or in their respective threads, so closed.

Don't do it again.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Component / S-video cables