Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Dragon Quest X announced for Wii

B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:53 AM #1 of 25
Dragon Quest X announced for Wii

Square Enix is holding a Dragon Quest press conference right now. They announced Dragon Quest X for Wii about 20 minutes ago.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:56 AM Local time: Dec 9, 2008, 11:56 PM #2 of 25
As welcome as this news is, I'm gonna have to ask for a source to flesh out this OP a tiny bit so that Shin doesn't come in here and shitstomp you.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:59 AM #3 of 25
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:13 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 12:13 PM #4 of 25
Interesting stuff this, I'm surprised they've already announced a new (proper) game for the Wii even though IX isn't even out yet.

Google translated news article for the lulz

"First of all you Dragon Quest 9!"

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Dec 10, 2008 at 04:15 AM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 04:22 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 02:22 AM #5 of 25
Given Nintendo's desire to have interoperability between DS and Wii version of games, perhaps this is Square's forray into that sort of thing? Communication between DQ9 and DQ10 would be a way to drive up sales, especially since everyone in Japan has a DS already. That might explain why they announced the next game being specifically on the Wii so early.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 05:13 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 02:13 PM #6 of 25
I'm going to say it first! The franchise was just sent to die.

Na, actually it's probably the best platform to pick if they want to make some money off of the game. I just hope it doesn't shift jRPG exclusives to the Wii as playing P4 has made me painfully aware of how much I prefer HD resolutions on my TV.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 06:55 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 06:55 PM 2 #7 of 25
I'm going to say it first! The franchise was just sent to die.
QFT. DQ: Swords was absolutely god-awful, and this news isn't welcome at all. I do wonder if Squeenix'll whore out development to another studio like they did for DQ8.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:04 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 07:04 PM #8 of 25
QFT. DQ: Swords was absolutely god-awful, and this news isn't welcome at all. I do wonder if Squeenix'll whore out development to another studio like they did for DQ8.
Would that be a bad thing or a good thing in your opinion?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:38 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 06:38 PM 6 1 #9 of 25
You do realize Cetra was not exactly being all that serious now, eh?

Also this is like getting scared because you might not have liked Torneko's Great Adventure or something. The offshot sucking is not really indicative of how the main series will turn out.

I'm sure you're looking forward to FF13 despite the fact that the Crystal Chronicles games gargle balls all over the fucking place. So go fuck yourself, thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 AM 2 #10 of 25
Would that be a bad thing or a good thing in your opinion?
If Level 5 worked on it, a good thing. Someone else, who knows. Level-5 did a great job with DQ8 though.

I'm sure you're looking forward to FF13 despite the fact that the Crystal Chronicles games gargle balls all over the fucking place.
What does Crystal Chronicles have to do with FF13?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:06 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 11:06 PM #11 of 25
That was pretty much the point exactly

You see, what with my comparison and

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:12 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 05:12 AM #12 of 25
Quote:
What does Crystal Chronicles have to do with FF13?
I don't know. What does DQ Swords have to do with DQX?

The only DQ games I've played are the oooldschool ones, so this is pleasant news given that I own both a DS and a Wii. Good to know there's still something to look forward to in the latter.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:15 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 12:15 AM 3 #13 of 25
DQ Swords sets up a formula for Square-Enix to use, i.e. use the same engine and the same control scheme but give it a new coat of paint. I'm hoping that's what they don't do. Seems like the obvious choice though, given the platform.

Who knows, we'll see.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:16 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 11:16 PM 1 #14 of 25
Yes, and Rocket Slime on the DS means we must also stretch the Hero of 9 so he fucking bounces around the cave instead of attacking with a copper sword.

Please, stop. For all our sakes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:19 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 12:19 AM 2 #15 of 25
Eh, whatever. Just hope it doesn't suck.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:32 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 11:32 PM 1 #16 of 25
Eh, whatever. Just hope it doesn't suck.
:Talks for like nine hours:

:Gets corrected:

:Talks for like 7 hours:

:Talks for like 2 hours:

"I just hope it doesn't suck."

See, if you'd skipped pretending like you knew something about this when you didn't, you could have avoided all sorts of ridicule.

So... what did we learn?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:18 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2008, 10:18 PM #17 of 25
Well the Dragon Quest series isn't exactly a series of innovation and complexity. It does make sense to put the series on the Wii considering that all of the elements that draw fans to the series can be put on the machine with minimal cost. It will probably be as good as DQ8 in a production value sense, but something tells me Sqaure-Enix is looking to make up for the massive amount of loss the took last year meaning this is a 'safe bet' project. That also means we're probably not going to see a quality jump in the series like we saw with DQ8 but I'm sure that's not a problem for most of the series' fans.

Like I said, I just hope it doesn't cause the smaller RPG companies to rally around the Wii with this most likely going to be the most successful game in the genre this generation in Japan. It's not that I'm adamant against buying a Wii if it does happen, but I'd much rather see those companies rally around the HD consoles and give their PS2 series a HD face lift.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:36 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 12:36 AM 1 1 #18 of 25
:Talks for like nine hours:

:Talks for like 7 hours:

:Talks for like 2 hours:

"I just hope it doesn't suck."

See, if you'd skipped pretending like you knew something about this when you didn't, you could have avoided all sorts of ridicule.

So... what did we learn?
Well, given the fact you dissed that post, I can assume I found my answer: Nothing.

Good job, Goose.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:57 AM #19 of 25
Well the Dragon Quest series isn't exactly a series of innovation and complexity. It does make sense to put the series on the Wii considering that all of the elements that draw fans to the series can be put on the machine with minimal cost. It will probably be as good as DQ8 in a production value sense, but something tells me Sqaure-Enix is looking to make up for the massive amount of loss the took last year meaning this is a 'safe bet' project. That also means we're probably not going to see a quality jump in the series like we saw with DQ8 but I'm sure that's not a problem for most of the series' fans.

Like I said, I just hope it doesn't cause the smaller RPG companies to rally around the Wii with this most likely going to be the most successful game in the genre this generation in Japan. It's not that I'm adamant against buying a Wii if it does happen, but I'd much rather see those companies rally around the HD consoles and give their PS2 series a HD face lift.
One major release would not indicate a tremendous shift to the Wii, especially with all the courting they'd be getting from Microsoft and Sony. Considering the increasing support for downloadable content from these RPG developers, at least.

Besides, you said it's a "safe bet" project. I'm sure that, criticisms of the genre aside, the developers would rather be working on something interesting and fresh and using a higher-powered system, but the fact of the matter is they need money, and the Wii just guarantees sales. I'd rather see them reserve the "HD treatment" for new IPs instead of seeing the same franchises over and over. Lost Odyssey and Last Remnant were both examples of how it is still possible to come up with a new IP and have the game not suck, and I'd rather see more movement in that direction.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 04:29 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 09:29 AM #20 of 25
I'm sure that, criticisms of the genre aside, the developers would rather be working on something interesting and fresh and using a higher-powered system
Mo0, stop talking before you make yourself sound as stupid as that SouthJag fellow (in before 'diss'). High-powered systems do not make development interesting. In fact, working on limited hardware is often a far more interesting prospect as you have to be smarter about how you do things. I'm really not going to go into this discussion at length, but to suffice to say, that was a stupid statement Mo0.

I'm not sure where this "I just hope it doesn't cause the smaller RPG companies to rally around the Wii" comes from, I'm guessing purely the fact that Cetra doesn't own a Wii. I really don't see the issue even if a bunch of developers do decide to put RPGs on the Wii, but I wonder, did you cry foul when they announced DQIX as a DS exclusive, or do you happen to own a DS so that's OK? Or is it alright for smaller RPG companies to rally around the DS in general?

At the end of the day, this is all getting ahead of ourselves, because this is one fucking game. Squeenix have been pretty good about developing across all platforms, and really, if you don't own the console they make a game for you either go without or you pony up the money and buy the console. Simple as.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Dec 11, 2008 at 04:32 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 04:56 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 12:56 PM #21 of 25
It's not the first time Cetra's cried "This is a terrible decision!" based simply on a console he/she doesn't "like".

Quite frankly I'm more surprised there isn't more RPGs coming for the Wii. My guess is the biggest problem is how while there's a large installbase, the target audience isn't quite there. But more jRPGs coming for the Wii shouldn't a big shock. The 360 and PS3 are very expensive to develop for, and difficult to boot with the PS3. It shouldn't affect a larger studio like Level 5 (though people don't realize L5 is doing well mostly because of a DS game series), but smaller ones yes.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:08 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 02:08 PM #22 of 25
Given Nintendo's desire to have interoperability between DS and Wii version of games, perhaps this is Square's forray into that sort of thing?
I believe that would be Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time which will allow online multiplayer of parties using either Wii or DS.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 08:12 AM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 06:12 AM #23 of 25
Eh, well I figured at least one of their games was going to take advantage of that.

On a slightly different note, I found this amusing mock-up:

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 04:52 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 09:52 PM #24 of 25
On a slightly different note, I found this amusing mock-up: [IMG]
In this instance you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes 'amusing'.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2008, 05:28 PM Local time: Dec 11, 2008, 03:28 PM #25 of 25
In this instance you and I have very different ideas of what constitutes 'amusing'.
Well don't read too deep into that, I got a bemused smirk out of the picture and well... that's about it. I've no idea what you're getting at anyway.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Dragon Quest X announced for Wii