Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Contra 4

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:11 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2007, 11:11 PM #51 of 120
Quote:
- Four player co-op
Whether this is online or not will determine if this game is a must buy. I'll probably still get it even if it's not (I can always play it with my sister), but having online, four player co-op would make this a game every DS owner should own.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:22 AM #52 of 120
This is Jake Kaufman (virt) - Thanks for the buzz, guys. I really hope you'll be happy with my work.

RainMan: Nope, you don't have any reason to know of me, but it's nice to meet you! I'm still early in my career, and haven't done anything big or impressive yet - just a lot of handheld work and a ton of hobbyist stuff.

I humbly present this album as a recent example of what I do. I agree with you that previous Contra soundtracks have been exquisitely brilliant - VERY big shoes to fill. I have spent the past decade studying every technique used by Konami across the NES, SNES, and Genesis, because I believe it's the pinnacle of game music and should not be lost in the sea of Hans Zimmer knockoffs and pop licenses.

I've had to do the work of all 6 sound staff who worked on Contra III, and I've taken it VERY seriously. I don't think there's any working composer in the world - even in Japan - with a greater love for Konami's music, so from one fan to another, I hope I've done it justice. I guess you'll see before too long, huh.

Thanks again for the support, and enjoy the chiptunes!
AHHH!!!! AHHH!!!!
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

virt doing the music?! Game BOUGHT.

This is going to be incredible, and even if the game somehow sucks, you just know that Gamespot/IGN/paper mags are still going to rave about the music, just like they did with Scurge, Legend of Kay, Juka, and your other previous games.

Wow, this could well be your breakout hit! I wish you the best, man! =D

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by JazzFlight; Jun 27, 2007 at 12:24 AM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2007, 07:44 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2007, 10:44 AM #53 of 120
This is Jake Kaufman (virt) - Thanks for the buzz, guys. I really hope you'll be happy with my work.

RainMan: Nope, you don't have any reason to know of me, but it's nice to meet you! I'm still early in my career, and haven't done anything big or impressive yet - just a lot of handheld work and a ton of hobbyist stuff.

I humbly present this album as a recent example of what I do. I agree with you that previous Contra soundtracks have been exquisitely brilliant - VERY big shoes to fill. I have spent the past decade studying every technique used by Konami across the NES, SNES, and Genesis, because I believe it's the pinnacle of game music and should not be lost in the sea of Hans Zimmer knockoffs and pop licenses.

I've had to do the work of all 6 sound staff who worked on Contra III, and I've taken it VERY seriously. I don't think there's any working composer in the world - even in Japan - with a greater love for Konami's music, so from one fan to another, I hope I've done it justice. I guess you'll see before too long, huh.

Thanks again for the support, and enjoy the chiptunes!
Hey awesome, thanks for posting and ultra confirming. =)
[kisskiss]I loved your Soccer table song in Hardcore Pinball[/kisskiss]

I was speaking idiomatically.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 09:52 PM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 12:52 PM #54 of 120
1UP has SCREENZZZ. Their obsession with resizing DS screenshots to ten thousand times forty eight billion confuses me! HERE IS ONE.

The sprites are sexy-o!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:16 PM #55 of 120
Thanks for the link Infernal, them screens is HAWT.

The preview makes the game sound even better.

Especially the part where the developer is all like
"New Super Mario Bros. is a huge inspiration for us," Hulett explains. "Nintendo looked back and created a game that was based on the original Super Mario, not Mario 3 or Mario 64, and made a game that feels like the original. That's exactly what we want to do here with Contra."

FELIPE NO
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:14 PM #56 of 120
Oh gawd, the sprites are much sexier now that we are getting clearer images. I see an old enemy in one of the grabs! Those flying insect doohickies!

"New Super Mario Bros. is a huge inspiration for us," Hulett explains. "Nintendo looked back and created a game that was based on the original Super Mario, not Mario 3 or Mario 64, and made a game that feels like the original. That's exactly what we want to do here with Contra."
I just hope it's better than NSMB. While NSMB did go back to its roots, it those new useless items and it wasn't as fun as the original games.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:53 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2007, 11:53 PM #57 of 120
Oh gawd, the sprites are much sexier now that we are getting clearer images.
Indeed. Thanks for posting that screen Infernal Monkey.

Quote:
I see an old enemy in one of the grabs! Those flying insect doohickies!
It actually looks like the weapon power up doohickie. Its nice to see some of these old elements being restated. I absolutely LOVE the sprite quality presented in the screens.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:16 AM #58 of 120
It actually looks like the weapon power up doohickie. :)
Um, what? I was talking about the insect doohickies in THIS screenshot:

:3

At least it's shaping up to be even better than NSMB. Now if only 4 player co-op online is confirmed!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Freelance; Jun 29, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 04:16 AM Local time: Jun 29, 2007, 12:16 PM #59 of 120
It's funny though, taking example from Nintendo going back to Mario 1 instead of 3, yet the sprites/enemies and even the two-weapong switch are definitely Contra III style.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:18 PM #60 of 120
Well, the game is set a year or so after Contra 3, so it's only natural if they kept it in the same style for consistency. It's just fine with me, as Contra 3 is the best game in the series. My opinion of course.

Next to Radiant Mythology, Contra 4 is my most eagerly anticipated game this year. It's about time the DS got Contra!

P.S. I don't know what everyone's beef is with Shattered Soldier, but I thought it rocked. My PS2 can no longer play blue-disc games though >:P

surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:35 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2007, 04:35 AM #61 of 120
It's funny though, taking example from Nintendo going back to Mario 1 instead of 3, yet the sprites/enemies and even the two-weapong switch are definitely Contra III style.
Actually it sort of makes sense--in the 1up Show interview thingie, the guy said that they disregarded anything past Contra III (which they considered the "true" Contra lineage).

By the way when watching that 1up video keep in mind that the music and sound you hear of the game (what little there is of it) is fucked up. There's some kind of echo loop so the sound is recorded twice at 100% volume out of sync, resulting in the mess you hear. Don't trust the media!

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 04:39 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 07:39 PM 1 #62 of 120

EVOLUTION OF MAAAAN.

How ya doing, buddy?
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2007, 05:10 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2007, 08:10 PM #63 of 120
^^ Is it just me, or is the original (NES) screenshot the highest quality one?

This devolution of graphics humans is scaring me!

*throws self out of building (i.e. my window; don't worry, I'm fine, it's a single-story house)*

(=D @ news of Contra 4, btw. Go virt!)

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:11 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 01:11 AM 1 #64 of 120
It's a well known fact that the more advanced you are, the blurrier you get! I still haven't caught up with all the E3 updates this year, EXCEPT THIS.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:34 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2007, 06:34 PM #65 of 120
Hot damn that looks awesome. Infernal, be sure to check out the gameplay footage on gametrailers.com, the animation is splendid~ <3

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:35 AM #66 of 120
Hot damn, those aliens remind me of erm Aliens! Isn't the actual series based/inspired by Aliens anyway though?

All these screenshots just make me want it more.

It's amazing how close the screenshots are to the graphical style of Contra 3. Awesome.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Freelance; Jul 12, 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 01:45 PM #67 of 120
Holy shit, this game looks amazing. I've been waiting for a Contra game like the original, and this one just looks kickass. And hell, 4 player co-op? This game will keep me playing for hours on end.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:20 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 12:20 AM #68 of 120
Note: NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THE GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21589.html

Damn that music is fiiine~

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:09 PM #69 of 120
Note: NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THE GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21589.html

Damn that music is fiiine~
Holy shit, is that a remixed version of the original Contra music?! That's awesome! Contra has been revived officially. I'm picking this shit up release day. Good, solid action, blistering fast gameplay, what else is there to ask for?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:28 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 01:28 AM #70 of 120
I really like the way the grappling hook is basically just a means to get to the top screen really fast. So it's "new" and fun and useful, but doesn't get in the way or mess up the basic flow of the game like an item like that usually would.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2007, 08:09 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 11:09 AM #71 of 120
Ooooooooooohh, that video was so rad. He was dancing in mid air when the ground fell apart beneath him! THE MUSIC. <3

FELIPE NO
Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 06:14 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 11:14 PM #72 of 120
Dear Virt. You suck.

Haha jokes! You rock, truly awesome rendition you've delivered there and I'm sure that's only a taste of what awesomeness is still to follow. I've never been a big Contra fan, but the series has always stuck out in front of me to not not take notice (just like Metal Slug). Probotector was pretty good though (Contra 3, right?) and from the looks of it and by the words of hard core/corp fans, Contra 4 will probably be the best schmup on the DS, aside from Nanostray 2 of course :P

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 06:39 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 05:39 AM #73 of 120
I like how that new remix of the original Contra theme sounds way more rocking than MegaDriver's lame attempt at it.

This game looks so old school it's painful. And from what I saw, they're actually putting the two screens to practical use. It doesn't even feel out of place, given how vertically oriented the original Contra got. This looks gold.

I spy levels based off both Contra's first level, and Contra 3's first level, complete with surprise evil dogs. I hope they don't fall into the trap of making the game 80% "nostalgic" rehashes of all the levels from the previous games.

find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 09:19 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2007, 05:19 PM #74 of 120
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21925.html

Gameplay footage from the first stage.

I hope the weapon sound effects won't be quite that deafening in the final version. The basic machine gun sounds nicely old school, though they could always go for a more ballsier sound.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

booboocat
Syklis Green

Member 2861

Level 8.78

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2007, 04:34 PM #75 of 120
oh man. the game play footage looks amazingly difficult.
*goes back to contra iii on ZSNES so i can save state.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Contra 4