Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Help] Finding a New Online game

Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:06 PM #1 of 25
Finding a New Online game

Hey all. I'm trying to find a new online game to play, since I'm bored with all the ones I play now

I was a big fan of Ragnarok online, FFXI, Heroes of Might and Magic, Guildwars. Stuff like that.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Jam it back in, in the dark.

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
Arc Impulse
Syklis Green

Member 473

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Jun 7, 2006, 10:16 PM #2 of 25
http://sco.gpotato.com/

It's not REALLY an RPG, but it has elements of one, and more to the point, it's fun as shit.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Tortalius

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:41 PM #3 of 25
Been there done that. It was fun for a while, but it just didnt' hold my attention.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:43 AM #4 of 25
give World of Warcraft a go :P just kiss your social life goodbye... lol

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 01:12 AM #5 of 25
I found Silk Road Online to be fun for a while. It's free, and as far as MMORPGs go it's fairly standard, but hey, for the price it's worth a try.

Also, more of an MMOFPS than RPG, but Planetside is another nice free one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The B0mb
Drain Bamage

Member 7734

Level 9.50

May 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 02:14 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 02:14 AM #6 of 25
Planetside is free now? Sweet! I always wanted to try it. Thanks for the tip off Solis.

Most amazing jew boots
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:03 AM #7 of 25
Rakion from Softnyx! Sort of a Diablo 2 styled game, but alot more fierce and competitive. Not to mention the level grind, but relatively fun once you've managed to advance enough.

FELIPE NO
B4-Hunter
That's My Creed

Member 310

Level 25.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:07 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 09:07 AM #8 of 25
Try Lineage 2, R.O.S.E, Eve Online, Rising Force Online or other cool MMORPG's from www.MMORGP.com

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each od them lies an IRREPARABLE truth."
- Assassin's Creed Ending
XBOX 360 LiVE ID: B4 Hunter PL
Playing on X360: Assassin's Creed, HALO 3
Playing on PC: Gears of War, Call of Duty 4
Tortalius

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:21 AM #9 of 25
my problem with L2 Rose etc. is that they A: have NO story, and B:combat gets too repetitive.

That's why I stuck with FFXI for so long. Decent fighting + good story =

Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:55 PM #10 of 25
I'd like to have someone else confirm that planetside is indeed free, please.

Most amazing jew boots

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:38 PM #11 of 25
Well, if none of the current popular MMORPGs are at all cosmetically good, as well as content, then there's always the option to go old school:

Spoiler:
Diablo II! They've recently added a new boss that's Andariel's sister! (Hot?)

Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 06:10 PM #12 of 25
Originally Posted by Turbo
I'd like to have someone else confirm that planetside is indeed free, please.
This was reported a while ago, actually:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/23/pl...s-free-service
Quote:
Sony Online Entertainment's MMOFPS title, PlanetSide, will soon feature a free-to-play service alongside its existing subscription tiers. Currently scheduled for Valentine's Day, the "Fodder Program" will allow free players full access to the game, but impose limits on their BattleRank and CommandRank, restricting their arsenal
Here's the link to the offer on the site itself: http://planetside.station.sony.com/reserves/

It's the full game (minus the stuff from the expansion of course), but you're limited to getting up to Battle Rank 6/Commander Rank 2 (compared to BR20/CR5 of the full version). Not a huge deal, since you get anything you want at that rank. I have to say that it's still pretty fun if you can get a good squad together, maybe if enough people are interested in it we could start a gaming session for it on specific days like our current BF2 group has.

The only catch is that the free/trial program ends March 24, 2007, so after that I assume you'll have to pay for it to keep playing. Still, 10 months of free playtime isn't bad.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Solis; Jun 8, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 04:44 PM #13 of 25
Originally Posted by Arc Impulse
That looks pretty neat. I downloaded it and installed it, but I can't seem to register. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Arc Impulse
Syklis Green

Member 473

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 09:48 PM #14 of 25
Register for FlyFF, I think thats what you do.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tortalius

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:09 PM #15 of 25
yea. the reg page will bring you to the flyff page. register for that and it works on both.

Anyone have any other games?

FELIPE NO

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 05:48 PM #16 of 25
RF online, I know some private servers, but there aren't many P.servers. I can link you if you want to... but the site it self is hacking site. Just PM me if you want it.

Tortalius

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:58 PM #17 of 25
eh. RF seems like L2, which is just jamming hot keys until you get bored.

I'm a huge combat fan, but so few games actually make it fun. FFXI's system won me over, but the grind has finally just gotten to me .

I was thinking of playing GW again, but sometimes a few good idiots can turn you off to a decent game.

Most amazing jew boots

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:23 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 05:23 PM #18 of 25
Maple Story is fun and free. Might get too repetitive for some, but its very cute.

Most amazing jew boots
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:25 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 09:25 PM #19 of 25
Forget Planetside. That game is dying so bad I couldn't stand to come back (damn in-game advertising). With BR6, you can't do squat either.

Try EvE Online if you have serious time for a MMORPG. Very difficult but it has so many possibilities

Tortalius

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:04 PM #20 of 25
Eve was too slow for my tastes. There's a fine line between. Infinite possiblities and, infinite time expenditure to do anything.

Maple story falls into the Grind fest taht is L2, and friends. Though it was fun for the 6months I played it a few years ago.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 06:02 PM #21 of 25
Uh, just steal a copy of Quake 3 and find a server to play on. Problem solved.

The Bishop
FATE

Member 9932

Level 3.62

Jul 2006

Old Jul 24, 2006, 09:03 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 12:03 AM #22 of 25
Originally Posted by Tortalius
I was thinking of playing GW again, but sometimes a few good idiots can turn you off to a decent game.
So true, when I originally got the game back at release I literally popped it on the shelf after completing the game with a single character; so many retards running around and ruining the game... however when I picked up the expansion; factions a month ago and found a really neat guild suddenly the game that seemed so average has become far more enjoyable then any online game I've played in the past (ie. RO ~ 1 year messing around with friends in uni, L2 ~ 2 years of endless grinding, WoW ~ 1.3 years of hardcore raiding/pvp).

I dunno, I was always a big fan of the dual-class system in the game and the wonderful graphics/music/gameplay but the community ruined it for me the first time through. Now having a good guild of people who enjoy and understand the game has really made it so much better (not to mention the cool new enviroment in the expansion; <3 the asian culture).

Coming back to this game made me realise how much I was cheating myself by playing p2p games which provided BETAlike gameplay, terrible support with regular downtimes to boot.

I honestly recommend giving GW another go, but when you do make sure to find a good guild with people that ENJOY the game, make use of a voice chat system and regularly group for pvp/elite dungeons and help each other with missions. They do exist and it’s well worth shopping around to find a good one.

That has to be one of the game’s strongest points; its not like most online games where you spend a good month levelling up a character to find out the ONLY way to progress your character is to join guild X or Y as they’re the only two guilds capable of doing the endgame content on YOUR server; then when you finally get accepted into one of them you find yourself on a road trip to hell with endless drama. After deciding enough is enough you re-roll on another server but find yourself in the exact situation again… =(

If only the game creators took note of this fact and actually made mmo’s in which itemisation doesn’t dominate the game field following in Guild Wars footsteps.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
FadedReality
I have no idea

Member 9655

Level 8.40

Jul 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:25 AM #23 of 25
I played WoW for a while and it was great fun on the way up to 60, once I hit 60 all of the sudden you HAD to spend 3 to 4 hours at a time to advance. Around the same time I hit 60 I was finding myself lacking on days that I'd be able to sit and play wow for hours on end. Thusly, I got bored and quit. After that, I must say that I much prefer the system popularized by diablo 2. I like near completely random drops, not "fight through an instance for 3 hours and down the boss for your 5th time and STILL not get the gloves you need".

Right now I'm playing through the single player of dungeon siege 2 and once I get some disposable income I'll be getting Titan Quest. Any other d2 style rpgs or good non-morrowind/oblivion and non-D&D rpgs that I should know about?

FELIPE NO
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 07:44 PM #24 of 25
Well I recommend City of Heroes/ City of Villains. It's heavily mission based so you're not fighting the same mobs every single time. It has great PVP. A well done guild system. The combat is basic, but still fun. It's highest point is all the customization. The most detailed character/ supergroup base customization for ANY MMORPG to date hands down. Building a supergroup base is like building a house in the Sims. You also won't see any 2 characters looking the same in this game. If you have the creativity, this game has the tools.

Forsakenzoul
Many Times Reborn

Member 2221

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:47 PM #25 of 25
Ok i cant get a damn ID for Space CowBoy what do i do?!?!?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Help] Finding a New Online game