Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Need help with connecting my headphones to my TV.

Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Sep 7, 2010, 08:19 PM #1 of 2
Need help with connecting my headphones to my TV.

Yeah it sound simple enough but I'm having a bit of a problem. My PlayStation 3 is connected to my TV through an HDMI cable, and my TV doesn't have a headphone jack which would make things so much easier. I have all these RCA cables, adapters, splitters and whatnot. So now I have the composite cable running from my PS3 (just the audio part) into this adapter (so I can plug my headphone into) which is connected to the audio out part of the TV. Now I'm able to get sound through my headphones but I'm not able to control the volume of it. I have a Sony HDTV, not sure if that makes any difference here but in the speakers option of the TV I have two options to switch between the TV speakers or audio system. So I select audio system so the TV speakers are off but using the volume control on the TV remote doesn't control the volume on the headphones. Is there something I'm doing wrong or that I need?

I've googled this and apparently turning off the TV speakers should allow you the control the volume of the headphones but in my case it's not working. I was looking at those Turtle Beach headsets that have the volume control but they're like 80$ but it's going to connected the same way (or at least in a similar way) I have my headphones connected right now and honestly I would be paying that 80$ just for the volume control and a mic which I don't need.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
i am good at jokes
LUCKY!!!

Member 25652

Level 30.58

Oct 2007

Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:25 PM Local time: Sep 7, 2010, 11:25 PM #2 of 2
I've seen this before and some TVs don't allow you to control the output volume. When you are setting it to audio system, the volume control is effectively considered to be relegated to whatever audio equipment is connected, and the TV's volume control does nothing as its speakers aren't producing any sound, and that is what it is used for.

If this is the case, you either have to get some kind of amplifier to be able to control the volume in your headphones (you get the sound by connecting your headphones through the amplifiers headphone jack), or you need to get a pair of headphones which have an integrated amplifier (wireless headphones usually do).

Seeing as you don't want to spend a fortune on this, I'd say your best bet would be to look in your local pawn shops or on ebay for an actual sound system amplifier on the cheap. I've seen some go for as cheap as 20$.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Need help with connecting my headphones to my TV.