Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Gaming Mice

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:12 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2010, 08:12 AM #1 of 15
Gaming Mice

I know most of you guys are console gamers at heart, but I hoped some of you have had some experience with shopping around for a gaming mouse. As of now I've got a couple of year old Razer Copperhead, but the side buttons are on their way out and the teflon feet have slowly eroded over time.

I'm primarily a FPS gamer, so no need for stuff with half a billion buttons.

I'm mostly looking at the Logitech G9X, Logitech G500, and the Cybort RAT 7. I really like how the Cyborg one has a button dedicated to sniping, where when you hold it down it automatically decreases sensitivity by X%. On my current mouse I have to manually click down the sensitivity, and that usually takes a second or two. If someone jumps me, I'm stuck with barely being able to turn and wind up getting my ass kicked.

I've found I also tend to use the fingertip grip, so if anyone else out there uses that I'd be curious to know your experiences with different mice.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by RacinReaver; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:19 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2010, 08:19 AM #2 of 15
Razer | For Gamers. By Gamers.? | Gaming Hardware | Buy Online

These mice are ideal gaming mice. Of the ones listed, I have the Lachesis. Works with either hand, has 4 side buttons (2 on each side). I have my two left side buttons set to do things like back/forward in browser and jump/crouch in games. The right side buttons switch profiles which I don't really use.

Biggest thing is the two extra buttons on top of the mouse that increase/decrease sensitivity on the fly. Rather, it adjusts the amount of dpi that the mouse uses to go across the mouse pad, so you can go from quick movement to delicate sniping with the touch of a button. These buttons can all be remapped when using Windows, though the mouse works fine in other OSes, you just don't have specialized drivers to allow remapping.

The other neat thing is that the buttons are controlled by hardware firmware instead of software, so all of the features work out of the box in any OS, and the firmware of the mouse can be updated to make changes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:53 PM Local time: Nov 24, 2010, 11:53 AM #3 of 15
I'm waiting on the RAT 9 myself, it's the wireless version of the same thing and due out early next year.

Granted, it's been delayed to hell and back, so I may fold and get the 7; but all impressions I've heard about the thing have been super positive.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:42 PM #4 of 15
I've been using the Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse for a few years and I love it. Not had one issue with it and it's performance is solid.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 1, 2010, 05:46 PM #5 of 15
I used the G5 for about a month and found that it sat too high off the desk for my wrists. Then the laser died, so I returned it and got a Razer Deathadder. It has served me very well.

My wife has used a logitech mouse similar to the G5 for more than a year now and really digs it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Returned
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2010, 03:43 AM #6 of 15
I got to play around with a RAT7 the other day in store, and it was actually really nice. I mean, for being in-store I didn't get a HUGE amount of time to test it out, but it felt comfortable, gaming was nice, and the customizability is pretty damn awesome. If I could afford it, I'd probably have one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 2, 2010, 09:43 AM Local time: Dec 2, 2010, 07:43 AM #7 of 15
What store were you at you actually got to try a mouse like that out? I can't find anyone out here that even carries it.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:36 PM Local time: Dec 16, 2010, 01:36 PM #8 of 15
What store were you at you actually got to try a mouse like that out? I can't find anyone out here that even carries it.
I've been avoiding going into these places to the best of my ability, but Futureshop/Best Buy has test units. Was just in there. FS is a Canadian thing but BB is the same type of store and whatnot.

Anyway, I ended up getting a RAT 7 as an early Christmas present from my mother. Apparently she heard from my sister in law that "I want that mouse that looks like a Decepticon"

Impressions to come after a couple of days use. Early thoughts are "fuck yeah" though, at least in terms of ergonomics, comfort and grip style.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:38 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2010, 05:38 PM #9 of 15
Just got a picture of the RAT 7 from my bro for Christmas, and he said as soon as he gets his first paycheck (he just started a new job earlier this month) it'll be coming my way as a combo Christmas/birthday present.

Can't wait to get home and give it a shot. Now I'm really tempted to build a new computer so I can get some sweet framerates to go with the mouse.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:41 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2010, 12:41 AM #10 of 15
I've been using the mouse for 10 or so days now and I'm loving every second of it. Very smooth, after a few hours of tweaking it to get it just right I find I'm basically in love with it.

I think you'll like it, RR.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:23 AM #11 of 15
Jeez, massive replyfail there, but... yeah, it was indeed a Best Buy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:10 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2011, 12:10 AM #12 of 15
Guess a little bit of update for all the nobody that's interested.

Got a RAT 7 for Christmas, liked it a bit, but kept getting shocked by the mouse. Shipped it back to Amazon after it turned off post-shock.

Thinking about now getting that G9X 'cause that was going to be my other option.

I did, however, just find out while using my girlfriend's laptop's mouse that MS has put a new feature in their mouse software. There's an option to let a button either toggle the sensitivity to a lower/higher % of what you currently have, or have it only change the sensitivity while you hold the button down. Essentially it's the RAT's sniping button, except that you can bind it to any of the keys. If only I liked the look of the Sidewinder mice.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:14 AM #13 of 15
The forums at esreality have a lot of good info on mice:

ESR - Hardware Forum

edit: Another thing is, the sensitivity button you're talking about, while I don't know off the top of my head of another mouse that has something exactly like that, I do know that a lot of mice now have different profiles that you can switch between on the fly. So instead of scrolling from sensitivity of '10' down to '5', which might take five clicks the way I understand your current mouse works, you can just set up a 'sniping' profile that has a sensitivity of 5 and bind it to a button on the mouse so you can switch between 10 and 5 with one click (or keystroke, button combo, etc).

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Radical; Feb 22, 2011 at 03:24 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:46 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2011, 01:46 AM #14 of 15
Yeah, I just found Razer put that in their software for my current mouse. So now I can't scroll between my various sensitivity settings, but I can have a high and low setting to alternate between.

(The cool part about the sniping button is that it's a "while down" feature, so you don't accidentally get stuck at a low sensitivity when you get jumped from behind.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:34 AM #15 of 15
(The cool part about the sniping button is that it's a "while down" feature, so you don't accidentally get stuck at a low sensitivity when you get jumped from behind.)
Hmmm, if that's how it works, then I think you can still imitate it with most modern mice. I'm not sure if you can do it in the Razer software itself, but I think you could do it with a combination of the Razer software and AutoHotkey.

Also I was just searching on Google and I found some software called "Precision Booster" for Microsoft mice that seems to do exactly what that sniper button would do, including the "while down" functionality. But it doesn't look like it works for non-MS mice.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Gaming Mice