Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Amusing] Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:59 PM #1 of 5
Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes

New Strategy RPG from Square-Enix for the... DS? PSP? Cell Phone? Toaster?

...I'll just let you guess what system.

It's an iPod game, suckas!
FIVE U.S. DOLLARS. FULL GAME.
MAKE TROOPS FROM YOUR SONGS.
OUT NOW ON ITUNES!

GO GO GO GO GO!

Trailer 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-IpiCf5bbQ
Trailer 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZI_TxOep9E

SQUARE ENIX ANNOUNCES SONG SUMMONER : The Unsung Heroes, a Full-Scale Role-Playing Game for iPod, Now Available on iTunes | SQUARE ENIX
Originally Posted by Square-Enix Announcement
SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes is a Role-Playing Game that transforms your iPodĀ® songs into powerful "Tune Troopers" that you can control in battle! As the protagonist Ziggy, you will embark on an epic journey to rescue your brother from the clutches of the Mechanical Militia! Intriguing characters, an epic story and a tactics-based battle system combine for a rich RPG experience previously only available on home and handheld game consoles.

SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platform: iPod nano with video, iPod classic and fifth generation iPod
Genre: Role-Playing
Launch Date: July 8, 2008
Price: 4.99 USD (iTunes Store download) SONG SUMMONER: The Unsung Heroes

STORY

From the days of old, Melodica was a land of music, a land of freedom. The people sang, played and danced to the music they so cherished. Until one day, they came — the Mechanoids, who enhanced their bodies with machinery. Those who were tempted by greed and power willingly gave away their souls for bodies of steel, forsaking their humanity to become cold, emotionless automatons. Now, they seek to destroy all that do not embrace their way of life.

But there is hope on the horizon. There are those who are fated to stand against the tyranny of the machines — the Superstars, who can turn sound into lethal weapons, and the Conductor, also known as the Song Summoner, who can summon powerful warriors born of music.

In their most desperate hour, Melodica awaits the arrival of their new Song Summoner...

FEATURES

# Transform your iPod songs into "Tune Troopers" to combat the evil Mechanical Militia
# Tune Trooper types and abilities are determined by the songs used to create them
# Your Tune Troopers can be powered up even outside of the game--just by listening to the songs you used to create them!
# Control Ziggy, a "Conductor" that creates warriors out of music, and guide him through his journey to save his brother Zero from the Mechanical Militia
# Experience a turn-based tactics battle system, divided into player and enemy phases where each side takes turns maneuvering their forces
# Deploy the right troopers at the right time, and use contraptions found on the map effectively to achieve victory in battle!
# iPod Click Wheelallows players to play the game as easily as selecting music
This game is awesome, freakin' cheap as all hell, and if you have a 5th Gen iPod / iPod Classic / 3rd Gen Nano iPod and like RPGs, there's really no excuse not to pick this up.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by JazzFlight; Jul 8, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:12 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2008, 06:12 PM #2 of 5
iPod is on track to be the DS killer as predicted.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:22 PM #3 of 5
Of course, if Squee had any real confidence in this game they'd have wedged it into the backstory of FFVII somehow.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:35 AM #4 of 5
I bought this game immediately upon reading about it on kotaku. Going through the setup process for the ITunes Store (finally!) Then I panicked for a couple of seconds when I couldn't sync it to my ipod, but really I just had to reconnect it -_-;

It's clever how the skill names are all song references (Suicide is Painless [Mash], Time After Time, etc.) Also, the boy who gets kidnapped at the start is wearing ipob garb. Although I have to say that the song master is a bit cheesy for my taste.

I wonder what the algorithm for trooper stats is from whichever song you pick. My best results were from a 9 minute song I've listened to over 100 times (yielded a Platinum Mage - Candy Slice), and a recently added song I've listened to once (yielded a Gold Archer).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:42 AM Local time: Jul 9, 2008, 10:42 PM #5 of 5
I wonder what the algorithm for trooper stats is from whichever song you pick. My best results were from a 9 minute song I've listened to over 100 times (yielded a Platinum Mage - Candy Slice), and a recently added song I've listened to once (yielded a Gold Archer).
If you add One Winged Angel, you unlock a being made of nothing but Zippers and Belts.

I don't have an iPod and I didn't even know it had games more complex then Snake or Tetris, but this is pretty cool from a conceptual angle. I bet this would work great on the PSP (Given that you can transfer mp3s to it relatively easily) as a port.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Amusing] Song Summoner: The Unsung Heroes