Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Pluto may lose its "planetary" status

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:23 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 01:23 PM #1 of 81
Pluto may lose its "planetary" status

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4789531.stm

Some interesting stuff here if you're into astronomy. Apparently Pluto may not be known as the 9th planet in our solar system much longer.

Some experts are arguing that Pluto should either be "demoted" from planet, or else they have to add like 20 more bodies out there that are at least as large as Pluto, if not larger ("Class, how many planets do we have in our solar system? And if you say 9, you're wrong!").

Personally, I would rather have it stay, simply cause it's been called one for so long now, and I'm sure a lot of people would feel the same way. But I can understand if they decide to say Pluto is no longer a planet (cause of its weird orbit, and why it's not a gas giant when the other planets in the outer solar system are, etc.).

What's your thoughts/opinions on this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:37 PM #2 of 81
I'll agree with you Gecko. We're all already used to having this planet in our system. Getting rid of it now would be like adding a 51st state to the US.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:41 PM #3 of 81
Puerto Rico is totally the 51st state.

8 planets ftw!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:53 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 07:53 PM #4 of 81
I'd not give if not for the fact that that two of my faveroute Chraracters of ever have namesakes in Pluto.
Namely Setsuna (Sailor Pluto) and Pluto of Astroboy fame.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 12:13 PM #5 of 81
Isn't it Neptune that has an irregular orbit?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 01:32 PM #6 of 81
Originally Posted by Cellius
Isn't it Neptune that has an irregular orbit?
Pluto has it worse.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:22 PM #7 of 81
Well, aren't we trying to broaden our knowledge of outer space? We are spending bamajillions of dollars sending crap out there so why not add 20 more planets to the list. Is it suppose to be like some secret only "space smart people" should know about? I'd sure like to know what other kind of planets are in our solar system. Who cares if the orbit is weird. It's like people are discriminating against planets now. "Oh, it has a strange orbit so it's technically not part of us..." Bastards!!

FELIPE NO
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:18 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 02:18 PM #8 of 81
I dont think it's the orbit that makes some want to demote Pluto. It's the fact that it's size isn't as big as what we would normally call a planet. There are many objects beyond pluto that are about the same size or larger. Some even have thier own moons like Pluto. If.. you can even consider Pluto's moon a moon. (Isn't it the same size as Pluto or close enough or something?)

So if you call such a small rock a planet then you have to call every other rock that size a planet as well. Which would increase our solar system alot. Also, how far do you go out? To the point that our sun can't hold onto something? If that's the case our solar system is going to get much, much larger.

Personally, I dont really care if they no longer consider it a planet. I also do not care if they decide to just add the rest of the large objects out there to the list of planets. As we explorer further out and advance we're going to only encounter more and more. Sooner or later we're going to discover things that change our outlook on our little part of the galaxy. It's happened in the past and it's only going to happen again.

How ya doing, buddy?
Stuff goes here~
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:23 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 02:23 PM #9 of 81
If they decide to keep Pluto, then they should include the other Kuiper belt objects that are larger or the same size as Pluto, effectively giving us many planets.

As it stands, since Pluto is more a part of the Kuiper belt, then it should be demoted from a planet. The Kuiper belt houses many icy rocks, almost like the Asteroid belt, but we don't include those as planets.

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Aug 14, 2006, 02:41 PM #10 of 81
I've always wondered about our right to name something that's out of our solar system a name that's of Earth origin. I mean, how geocentric is that??? I'm sure there's a civilization out there that's far more entitled to name it something of their own design than us.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:52 PM #11 of 81
I'm sure there's a civilization out there that's far more entitled to name it something of their own design than us.
Nope, were the only ones.

As for whether or not it should still be considered a planet, I think they should leave well enough alone. Its almost like astronomers are getting bored, and they need some big thing to spice up theyre bad career choice.

Sal
Surrounded by Roos

Member 1070

Level 7.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:00 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 12:00 AM #12 of 81
At least people won't point out the omission when listening to Holst anymore.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:04 PM #13 of 81
In summation of a Discover Magazine Article:
There are 9 PLanets and a Double PLanetoid:
Mercury
Venus
Earth
Pluto/Charon
Zena The Warrior Princess

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:08 PM #14 of 81
But Pluto-is- a planet. That's the new home of the Heaven's Gate cult, a safe haven from the Luciferians.

ORLY
YA RLY

Member 8978

Level 7.21

Jun 2006

Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:55 PM #15 of 81
But it has to be a planet, my mommy told me so.

In all honesty though, I really couldn't care less. Pluto has been a planet for 70 some years and I don't really see what all the fuss is about. I personally think that we should take all of the money for that little gathering of theirs and spend it on something useful, like me for example.

FELIPE NO
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:58 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 11:58 AM #16 of 81
The big debate has come up because Voyager spotted a big rock that was larger than Pluto. There are also seven moons that are larger than Pluto--Ganamyde, Titan, Callisto, our moon, Io, Europa, and Triton--and those first two are even bigger than Mercury.

Asteroids were originaly thought to be planets as well. After the first four were found, astronomers thought of them as planets because there was no way to find out how big they were. The fifth asteroid to be discovered was just a year before Neptune was, and then more and more asteroids were being found.

I've always wondered about our right to name something that's out of our solar system a name that's of Earth origin. I mean, how geocentric is that??? I'm sure there's a civilization out there that's far more entitled to name it something of their own design than us.
Well, then in that case, lets ask the dogs what they prefer to call their species. I'm sure that dolphins would also object to our bastardization of whatever they call themselves. It's not like we can just give the fine people who live on a planet orbing Alpha Centauri A a call and ask what they want things to be renamed as.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Majin yami
Callipygian Superman

Member 1810

Level 17.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 08:32 PM #17 of 81
Originally Posted by Star Man Aevum
The big debate has come up because Voyager spotted a big rock that was larger than Pluto. There are also seven moons that are larger than Pluto--Ganamyde, Titan, Callisto, our moon, Io, Europa, and Triton--and those first two are even bigger than Mercury.
Of course they can't be titled as planets though.

>: 4 8 15 16 23 42
Long Live Lost
LiveJournal: Latest Entry: My Political Leanings.
Latest JOURNAL Entry:
ITE: I review the latest album by The Guillemots (also, exam results)

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 11:55 AM #18 of 81
this is perfect! Now there will have to be a magic school bus in space 2 to correct the out dated facts of the greatest educational pc game ever!

anyways if Pluto does get stripped of its title i'll still call it a planet but the subject hardly ever comes up so I don't really care. Oh and there are 10 planets , what about planet X.... jeez guys...

How ya doing, buddy?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:58 PM #19 of 81
This debate on whether Pluto is a planet or isn't has been going on almost since it was found. "Is it big enough?" That's the main question. To me, it doesn't matter that we have twenty-some-odd objects just as big or bigger (including Xena and Sedna). Pluto has been a planet. It should remain a planet. Changing its title confuses people. Besides, we don't have to add planets to the solar system if we just say the solar system cuts off at Pluto.

Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:19 PM Local time: Aug 15, 2006, 01:19 PM #20 of 81
Wern't they talking about doing this a few years back? Personaly I think it's stupid to drop Pluto as a planet. I mean just because of it's orbit paterns doesn't make it any less a planet...or atleast I think so.

How ya doing, buddy?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:52 PM #21 of 81
No, but I think it's a better decision. And besides, the only reason this would make things more "scientifically accurate" is by making their devised scale match that of the objects in the solar system. Something tells me that it would be easier just for them to change their scale.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 08:53 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 11:53 AM #22 of 81
These damn popularity contests are everywhere now. I blame both Disney and Hollywood. Pluto the dog faded into obscurity with a lack of anything and there are no big budget box office smash violence movies set on Pluto. Everyone goes to fucking Mars or the Sun.

"GONNA GO KICK SOME ALIEN ASS ON THE SUN BOOOOYS, LET'S GOOOO!"
*End of movie*

Rename Pluto to Pokemon or Pepsi or something. It'll become bigger than Earth, we'll all leave in the hope of being cool and living on the planet for about two and a half seconds.

Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:32 PM #23 of 81
You react like the decision has something to do with emotional attachment. "Planet" is a technical classification, either an object is one or it is not and unfortunately believing something does not make it so.

How ya doing, buddy?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:37 PM #24 of 81
Originally Posted by Kyndig
You react like the decision has something to do with emotional attachment. "Planet" is a technical classification, either an object is one or it is not and unfortunately believing something does not make it so.
And what's to stop them from changing that technical classification?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:40 PM #25 of 81
I would imagine that this sort of thing is a matter of convincing the rest of the scientific community, so any sort of change would probably have to fall under the same scrutiny.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Pluto may lose its "planetary" status