Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Amusing] The Official GFF High Score Challenge Club Thread Society

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 09:15 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 03:15 PM 3 1 #1 of 22
The Official GFF High Score Challenge Club Thread Society

Hi, this is the official thread of TOGFFHSCCTS, The Official GFF High Score Challenge Club Thread Society!

Fun though the arcade games here are (They're not), the scores there have been in place for a while and nobody can really be arsed to challenge them anymore, the thrill of competition has gone and there's simply no decent way to prove how much better a gamer you are than everyone else (Except for the Xbox high score table and that's always going to be dominated by a couple of our more perenial virgins). Whilst Omagnus and co's games club is a fun enough way to encourage people to play games in Philia's backlog, it lacks a certain edge, there's no real impetus to play the games other than a couple of posts at the end of the month about how crap graphics were on the PS2 and how talking animals are gay.

As such, in the interest of providing an outlet for our collective competitive streaks, I have founded TOGFFHSCCTS!

The idea is to have several concurrently run high score challenges featuring old games that pretty much everyone in the world owns. Rather than posting your best score from back when you were playing the thing, the challenge is to set a new best score to see how well your skills have survived the test of time. There will be no actual prizes but the leaders of each challenge will have ultimate kudos and bragging rights.

I'm going to suggest a few to start with but if there are any games you reckon you're a bit handy at and want to add in, post them here. You can take pictures of your high score if you want but I'd like to think that even here there's nobody sad enough to bother cheating at what is essentially a bit of fun.

So, first up, we have a couple of score challenges and a time trial challenge:

Gran Turismo 3

I was going to suggest either GT1 or 2 but my copies of either are nowhere to be found (Because I foolishly left a few of my PS1 games, the ones I was likely to play again sooner rather than later, somewhere seperate from all the others in storage. I can find every other game I ever bought except the ones I kept out ). Challenge is in Gran Turismo mode, buy a Toyota Supra RZ (It's 44,800 credits, anyone who already owns this game should have that much saved and if not it doesn't take long to earn it). You can put new wheels on it but no further modifications are allowed. You then go to Run and Settings in the My Home menu, choose Laguna Seca. It's the time for one lap we're looking for. You can use manual or automatic gears although everyone will laugh at you if you use automatic. I did a test run as a (Crap) benchmark and on my first attempt got round in 1'41.144.

Super Monkey Ball - Monkey Target

Fuck rolling balls around a maze, the only reason to play Monkey Ball was also pretty much the only reason to own a GameCube, to play Monkey Target. Challenge here is simple, the best score in a five-round match. Leave powerups turned on and I don't think there are any other options. My GameCube is buried deep in a drawer at the moment but if memory serves my old best score was 1,400 odd points. I shall dig it out (Or play it on a Wii) and give you a proper benchmark score later.

Vib-Ribbon

OK, I know that not everyone has a copy of Vib-Ribbon but everyone should have a copy. Challenge is for the best score on the Gold or Hard mode. My test run just now yielded a pretty rubbish 2,033 points. I'm open to suggestions of good music to play this to.

FAQ

Bit of a misnomer that as I'm going to answer them here so none of these should ever be asked, let alone frequently.

But Shin, there are loads of games coming out in March and Skills wants me to play Icaruga

That's not actually a question. Anyway, this is just a bit of fun, you don't have to take part. Plus, there's no time limit. I'll put up new challenges as people suggest them but I'm not going to take down old ones so join in whenever. Alternatively, put off buying Final Fantasy XIII for a week and get it for £10 less than it'll cost on launch day, giving you a week to play Vib-Ribbon. You know you're only going to complain about how there's no towns to visit and all the characters have too many zips anyway.

But Shin, the Supra RZ is a gay car for homos. Real men drive a Ford Mustang and play GT4

No, men who know nothing about cars and think that lots of hp = fast round a track drive a Ford Mustang. Also, men at the end of films made in America drive Fords, demonstrating the superiority of Detroit Muscle over that Ricer shit any day of the week. If that's really how you feel though, suggest a GT4 Muscle car challenge.

But Shin, Monkey Ball 2 had a much better version of Monkey Target

No it didn't, you couldn't fly for nearly as long and the whole formation thing made it more of a shotgun competition as opposed to the first game's sniper battle. Anyway, refer to my answer above, if you don't like it, suggest something else.

But Shin, I sold my copy of Vib-Ribbon along with all my other PS1 games to get $6 store credit to set against a copy of Professor Layton

The you're a fucking idiot, get out of my thread. Like I said, if you don't like the challenges here, suggest something different (But not Professor Layton).

But Shin, someone said they beat my high score but I think they're making things up and have photoshopped their screen grab

Then the real loser is them, for being that much of a loser. If winning a meaningless online contest is that important to you then frankly, I ought to ban you from the boards for your own good. I won't though, I'll just fuck about with your avatar and edit all your posts until I get bored.

High Score Tables

GT3 Supra Challeng

1: Shin - 1'41.144

Monkey Target Score Challenge

No scores yet entered

Vib-Ribbon Hard Mode Score Challenge

1: Shin - 2,033

Bosconian Score Challenge

No scores yet entered

Ikaruga Level 1 Medium Skill Challenge

1: SuperSonic - 2,404,900 (72 Max Chain)
2: Skills - 2M~ (60ish Max chain)
3: Shin - 454,440 (8 Max Chain)

Kirby's Pinball Land Score Challenge

1: nuttyturnip - 655,110
Have fun!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Mar 6, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:19 AM #2 of 22
I don't have any of those, and apparently Vib-Ribbon never had a North American release. Sad considering that it looks like a pretty neat game.

I'll add my own score challenge to the list: Bosconian. You know, that game Namco made that nobody has ever heard of.

You fly around blowing up space stations by either shooting their cores or destroying all 6 pods for a lot more points. As the game progresses the cores gain shields, fire missiles, etc. It can get pretty addictive. You can find it on some of the Namco Museum games (the one on 360 has it, though you can move diagonally for some reason) or emulate it if you can do MAME.

I used to score up in the millions back when I played it nightly for awhile, but that was years ago and I have no worthwhile score to report yet.

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:37 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 04:37 PM #3 of 22
Vib-Ribbon never came out in the US? For shame, it's one of the greatest rhythm games of all time.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:18 AM #4 of 22
Vib-Ribbon never came out in the US? For shame, it's one of the greatest rhythm games of all time.
I know, that's what I've been hearing. (Wanna play it so badly... ;__;)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:53 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 10:53 AM 1 #5 of 22
You should suggest a speed run of Terranigma next, or something. Real cart only.

I'd say we do some Ikaruga scores but it's almost like we've got that going on somewhere else. Not sure where though. Maybe I'm just hallucinating.

Since you decided to pick some bizarre things, how about we just play unicorn robot. There's a real man's game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:59 AM #6 of 22
You should suggest a speed run of Terranigma next, or something. Real cart only.

I'd say we do some Ikaruga scores but it's almost like we've got that going on somewhere else. Not sure where though. Maybe I'm just hallucinating.

Since you decided to pick some bizarre things, how about we just play unicorn robot. There's a real man's game.
Just so you can lay your giant Ikaruga dick on the table skills? How about a game we all have a fair chance of posting some good numbers in?

How ya doing, buddy?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:42 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 11:42 AM #7 of 22
Has nothing to do with that, but it's good that you're preemptively giving up and declaring how much of a sissy shit you are, that's cool.

If the point is to post "good numbers" in something, you're asking at the wrong forum. If the point is to have fun and compete with each other, than that's fine.

Since we can all suggest challenges and just run with 'em we can all have a mile long list of tables with one entry each though, that sounds awesome as shit.

FELIPE NO
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:42 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 05:42 PM 1 #8 of 22
Whilst Omagnus and co's games club is a fun enough way to encourage people to play games in Philia's backlog, it lacks a certain edge, there's no real impetus to play the games other than a couple of posts at the end of the month about how crap graphics were on the PS2 and how talking animals are gay.
Way to miss the point and be a complete dick at the same time Shin.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:46 PM #9 of 22
Has nothing to do with that, but it's good that you're preemptively giving up and declaring how much of a sissy shit you are, that's cool.

If the point is to post "good numbers" in something, you're asking at the wrong forum. If the point is to have fun and compete with each other, than that's fine.

Since we can all suggest challenges and just run with 'em we can all have a mile long list of tables with one entry each though, that sounds awesome as shit.
Ikaruga challenge accepted. Bitch.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:13 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 08:13 PM 2 #10 of 22
Way to miss the point and be a complete dick at the same time Shin.
Way to get butthurt about what's obviously a joke, HomOmagnus.

Skills, the point of games club is to get people playing games they might otherwise not and to discuss them in a jovial fashion, nowhere in your thread is there any mention of comparing scores. When I was speaking to Philia a few weeks ago she asked me for ideas and I suggested it might be fun to have a score challenge on Monkey Ball or TT challenge on GT, two of the best selling games on their respective consoles, with a mind to this month being chock full of new releases and assuming something like this would take people a few minutes here and there when they get bored of bitching about FFXIII.

Since you're playing Ikaruga this month and apparently just so you can laugh at other people not being very good at it, I figured I'd start my own thread, primarily as a drop point for people who think they're pretty shit-hot at a game and want to test that theory against other people.

I've not rammed it full of rules and dates and limits because it's just a bit of fun that can sit here for ages and maybe once or twice generate a bit of friendly competition amongst friends. I know that with your superior powers of failing to attract emotional attachment from other human beings your position near the top of the 360 leaderboard is safe but the rest of us might fancy a different way to show off our excess of free time.

I apologise if you and HomOmagnus feel in any way threatened by this thread, it was meant as a light hearted bit of fun and I guess I forgot about Ben's prediliction to take everything as a mortal insult.

An Ikaruga score challenge would be a nice way to bring the two threads together, set some paramenters and I'll add it to the first post.

Oh yeah, I love Vib-Ribbon so much I store a copy online in case my disk breaks.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:18 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 01:18 PM #11 of 22
This is the best.

- *silly terrible troll joke*

- *counter terrible troll joke*

- "Why you gotta be butthurt" and ::a thousand words to say nothing::

Some days I don't even know why I bother.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 02:44 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 08:44 PM #12 of 22
Fine, I'll avoid trying to explain things in future and stick to childish insults and changing people's profile information in future. Pardon me for trying to spark a bit of fun in here I'm sure. You want me to ask CHz to add an infraction for posts that are too long?

Loving your suggestions for April Fools so far by the way, oh paragon of community involvement.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 03:06 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 02:06 PM #13 of 22
Trying to spark fun is all fine and good, man. I have spent the last few minutes reading over my posts and have been unable to find where you got the idea that I'm against this.

If you want to pretend you're being eloquent or informative instead of being a windbag, that's cool. I have no problem with that. Long standing GFF tradition. We all do it. In fact I think there's a section on it on that written test we did to gain hut access.

I'm just responding to your jokes, and this is the response I get? I'm kind of saddened.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Mar 2, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 04:49 PM #14 of 22
Omagnus and co's games club is a fun enough way to encourage people to play games in Philia's backlog
Um, just wanted to point out that I don't own BG&E or Ikaruga when I had these listed as suggestions. They were from a collective round up of commonly owned titles from all of the members (24+). That is all.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:14 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 11:14 PM #15 of 22
Sorry Skills, I was reading your posts a little defensively and Philia, it was only a joke.

Skills, pick a level of Ikaruga for a score challenge, probably one of the earlier ones by all accounts.

FELIPE NO
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:31 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2010, 04:31 PM #16 of 22
Yay, we're all friends again. <3

Let's keep it simple. Let's start with stage 1 instead of going for a full on run, that way if you mess up halfway in you don't have to restart and lose a comparatively large amount of work.

Pick Normal difficulty because Easy is for pussies.

Now, I won't list my personal record (because that would involve me hooking up the gamecube again and finding that old table on my memory card), nor my XBLA record, but I will plug in my score after I take a few swings at it in the following couple of days. Coming off of hibernation my current max is a little over 2 million. I'll polish that up and put the exact total in there soon. List your chains too.

Ikaruga - Stage 01 - Normal
Skills - 2M~ - (60ish Max Chain)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2010, 03:11 PM 1 #17 of 22
Just gave that a shot, Skills. I'm used to playing on Easy, so this was a bit different for me.

Ikaruga - Stage 01 - Normal
SuperSonic - 2,404,900 - 72 Max Chain

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:13 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2010, 01:13 AM 1 #18 of 22
I downloaded the trial version and managed 454,440 points with a max chain of 8. Was my first ever go though...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:04 AM #19 of 22
Sup Kirby's Pinball Land.

The bottom score is from just now. The top score is from more than 10 years ago.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:25 PM #20 of 22
fuck yes robot unicorn.

Omagnus - 106,XXX
Skills - 77,XXX
Mo0 - 5

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:29 PM Local time: Jun 10, 2011, 08:29 PM #21 of 22
fuck yes robot unicorn.

Omagnus - 106,XXX
Skills - 77,XXX
Mo0 - 5
you are so squishy

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:50 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2011, 02:50 PM #22 of 22
I think you should note that those are on the iPad version (plus Mo0 should post the screenshot I got of the leaderboard once I scored that 100k+).

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Amusing] The Official GFF High Score Challenge Club Thread Society