Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Amusing] Kazumi Totaka's Song

Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:04 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 09:04 AM #1 of 9
Kazumi Totaka's Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLMAgcGA8Dw

Quote:
While browsing other Nintendo sites you may have heard of a strange song in Mario Paint that seems to crop up in several other games. The "Mario Paint Song" is a series of deep, arcade-style beeps arranged in a fairly simple tune. Most people know about its appearance in Yoshi's Story and Animal Crossing, but it has been tucked away in many other games as well. But why is this strange tune cropping up anywhere in the first place?

Well, Nintendo Database has solved the mystery. Kazumi Totaka, a young music composer at Nintendo, has worked on every game in which the song appears. Totaka is also known by the nickname "Totakeke" - the name of the music-loving dog in Animal Crossing who provides one version of the song, and a secret trigger in the Japanese version of Link's Awakening for another.

So it's not the "Mario Paint Song", it's Kazumi Totaka's Song, which means Mario Paint may not be host to the first appearance. And we still aren't sure why the song has become a running joke at Nintendo, or what the idea behind it was in the first place.
http://nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.c...n/totaka.shtml

This is pretty interesting. I knew about the Mario Paint, Yoshi's Story, and the Link's Awakening ones. Those are failry well known, but I didn't know about the rest of them. Anybody else know of any that weren't mentioned here?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:44 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 04:44 PM #2 of 9
Nice one!
I always wondered what that song meant. Unfortunately I only know the "Mario Paint" (when you don't do anything for a certain time while in silence mode) and "Link's Awakening" (from the GBS set) version.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:57 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 11:57 PM #3 of 9
It's silly little secrets like this that make me smile. And scare people that witness it. Doesn't Luigi whistle this tune from time to time in Luigi's Mansion?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 02:08 PM #4 of 9
Ah haw haw haaaaw posting after myself, how lame. There's a new video~. The song's been found in both Pikmin 2 and Wario Land VB now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 06:17 AM #5 of 9
But no sign of the theme in Luigi's Mansion. It seems almost impossible to imagine that the theme doesn't occur there...

Thanks for the link, this is interesting/fun stuff.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Burp
Saving the world... but NOT for free

Member 10186

Level 12.97

Jul 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:05 AM #6 of 9
Its seems that the song can be found on almost every game soundtrack composed by Totaka, even there are rumors that the song can be found in some games only dumping the sound data in some games.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Gamercafe.cl: Your source for game news in Spanish.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 05:53 AM Local time: Jan 31, 2007, 03:53 AM #7 of 9
Bumping a long, long, long dead topic for important video game music nerd news: Totaka's song has been found in X for the Gameboy by a mysterious internet user (who could it be?) making it the first known appearance IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY. This leaves it unfound in Wii Sports and Wave Race 64. More information can be found here.

FELIPE NO
Nintendud
Carob Nut

Member 13638

Level 6.27

Oct 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:25 PM #8 of 9
Found in Luigi's Mansion!

GUYS.
IT HAS BEEN FOUND IN LUIGI'S MANSION!!
I don't know why I'm so excited, but I am! If someone ripped Luigi's Mansion's music, prepare to update your rip, please

Check this out!
http://powet.tv/2006/12/12/gaming-ar...s-song-part-3/

I would rip this, but I don't feel like doing it today...

The same website also found a guide to finding the song in some Japanese Game Boy game called "Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru" http://powet.tv/2007/02/04/totaka-tidbit/

And, of course, there are two other parts about finding the song in other games on the site: http://powet.tv/2006/11/12/totakas-song-revisited/ and http://powet.tv/2006/09/18/gaming-ar...-totakas-song/

I found this completely randomly. Seriously. I love what Google searches turn up sometimes.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:18 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 02:18 PM #9 of 9
Kazumi Totaka is officially awesome. Finding his personal tune is like a scavenger hunt for nerds. lol!

It's kinda of too bad that no oter VG musician does this. It's almost like his digital signature

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Amusing] Kazumi Totaka's Song