Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Animal Crossing becomes Movie

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 12:51 PM #1 of 21
Animal Crossing becomes Movie

Quote:
The Sports Hoichi newspaper has reported that Jouji Shimura (Master Keaton, Shin Angyo Onshi, Hanada Shonen Shi) will direct an anime feature film adaptation of Nintendo's game franchise Doubutsu no Mori ("Animal Forest"), known in America as "Animal Crossing." The film is scheduled to open in Japanese theaters this December.
-animenation.net

Okay....that's a bit strange. How will they handle the main character (who's basically supposed to be you)? Will they speak in japanese or the in-game language? How can you make a movie out of this?

Why can't they just do Zelda already?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 12:59 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:59 AM #2 of 21
It will probably be a movie aimed more towards a younger audience. It'll most likely start off with some new person moving into town, and then he has cute and funny interactions with the townsfolk.

I really thought this was kinda silly when I heard this, as the game doesn't really lend itself to a movie or any kind of animation. I'll probably only be interested in this just to see how they oull it off.

Most amazing jew boots
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 09:04 PM #3 of 21
I immediately thought the main character would be mute, Link style.

I'd be interested in seeing this as long as they keep Kappn's song lyrics. That would make the movie less suitable for kids, though =/

How ya doing, buddy?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 01:09 PM #4 of 21
I'll be perfectly content as long as they show Savannah.

Sigh, I haven't visited my town in years.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 01:12 PM #5 of 21
This reminds me very strongly of Animal Yokocho. Perhaps it will be done in that style, but with much more than 3 animals to interact with it.
I can definitely picture Tortimer, Tom Nook, Totakeke Slider, Gracie, Sahara, Wendell, Pelly, Phyllis, and Blathers getting some airtime.

Most amazing jew boots
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 01:49 PM #6 of 21
Wow... Animal crossing in to a movie? That's something. I heard something about Halo and Metroid too... but not sure if it is animation.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 01:25 PM #7 of 21
I'd like to see how they decide to write the story for this one. I'm curious to see if they have the in-game language during some parts of the movie.

FELIPE NO
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 08:12 PM #8 of 21
O.O Wow...that's all I can say.

Whether it's made for a younger audience or not, it's worth it just for Totakeke alone. I'd go ballistic if he starts belting out tunes!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 10:55 PM #9 of 21
Makes me wonder why such games like Harvest moon didn't turn into anime with such as this XP

Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 11:16 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 10:16 PM #10 of 21
THis had better be official because I almost fainted inside.

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
The Sports Hoichi newspaper has reported that Jouji Shimura (Master Keaton, Shin Angyo Onshi, Hanada Shonen Shi) will direct an anime feature film adaptation of Nintendo's game franchise Doubutsu no Mori ("Animal Forest"), known in America as "Animal Crossing."
At first I thought this would be live-action but I guess it isn't. I wonder how this movie will turn out since I'm an avid AC fan myself...

I'd definitely kill for a japanese DVD copy, especially if it's as rare as FFVII Advent Children.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 11:17 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 11:17 PM #11 of 21
It'll be brought here. Dakota Fanning will play half the voices. People will herald it like the next coming of Christ-emon.

Still dunno what the rave is all about. I thought the game was horrible =(

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 11:44 PM #12 of 21
Welcome to the downfall of this industry. Sorry to say, but I really can't expect anything out of this movie for obvious reasons.

First Death Note, now Animal Crossing. Don't you think actually TV animations would be the better (more profitable) solution to this?

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 12:18 AM #13 of 21
Nintendo dropped the plans for a Zelda anime movie in favor of more Pokemon. The industry is already dead to me.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:43 AM #14 of 21
Originally Posted by GRUN-4
Don't you think actually TV animations would be the better (more profitable) solution to this?
No kidding. Considering the sheer amount of characters Animal Crossing has to offer, this has "episodic kids cartoon" written all over it. Every few weeks can feature new characters moving in, and others moving out.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 02:19 PM #15 of 21

Meh.

FELIPE NO
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:02 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 09:02 PM #16 of 21
How can it not be April 1st, if this news just came out?

How ya doing, buddy?
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:14 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 01:14 PM #17 of 21
Originally Posted by SOLDIER

Meh.
I thought that looks perfectly fine for a kids cartoon. I mean, we don't see something that's relatively calm and reinforcing all that often, but I bet that's probably something young kids watch on Japanese TV all the time, but its just below our scope simply because most of those lacks the intellectual depth and dramatic impact the older media consumer need, but isn't that exactly how kids cartoons are? I mean, stuff like hello kitten isn't suppose to be terribly sophisticated.

♪♡
Thanks Seris!

Last edited by Magi; May 18, 2006 at 03:16 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:20 PM #18 of 21
Well, yeah, but it's also a theatrical film, so I was expecting a little more detail. Like shadows, for instance.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 09:26 PM #19 of 21
Originally Posted by SCHNEE-5
I thought that looks perfectly fine for a kids cartoon. I mean, we don't see something that's relatively calm and reinforcing all that often, but I bet that's probably something young kids watch on Japanese TV all the time, but its just below our scope simply because most of those lacks the intellectual depth and dramatic impact the older media consumer need, but isn't that exactly how kids cartoons are? I mean, stuff like hello kitten isn't suppose to be terribly sophisticated.
The only question I would ask is this: How long did it take you, once you got Animal Crossing (any version) to do about everything that there was to do? I'm not including collecting objects in that, naturally, since I never managed to come even close to doing that. I have but one lifetime...

It took me about a month of playing 3 times a week to see most things, and then there were the special holidays. I've still not seen all of those, because... I'm not going to always have time.

So if you ask me, they've got a problem. There just isn't that much going on in AC. The fun of it is either collecting stuff, or exploring the social options of WW.

Most amazing jew boots
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:42 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 01:42 PM #20 of 21
Well, "there just isn't that much going on" in most kids cartoons, particularly anime design for younger ones, like 6-10. The fact of matter is, day to day reference by itself probably would have been challenging enough, its sometimes impossible to convey an sense of expensive world or social spectrum to such an audience with very limited point of reference, so I would imaging that the paradigm would be limited, with character oriented stories that focuses on specific happening within small set of charismatic/memorable characters.

Now, the pacing the game itself probably won't really have any bearing on how the adoptation is going to be done.

♪♡
Thanks Seris!

Last edited by Magi; May 18, 2006 at 03:45 PM.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 09:58 PM #21 of 21
Originally Posted by SCHNEE-5
Now, the pacing the game itself probably won't really have any bearing on how the adoptation is going to be done.
You're dead right of course. However, it does mean that they will need to come up with a lot of material that is unrelated to the game in order to compensate. Since I wasn't aware that the AC brand is all that recognisable anyway, it begs the question of why they bothered to license it for this film at all.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Animal Crossing becomes Movie