Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 170 Voting/WEEK 171 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2009, 09:08 AM #1 of 28
Song of the Week - WEEK 170 Voting/WEEK 171 Nominating

Song of the Week. 150 Weeks and counting.
Week 170 Voting is closed.
Week 171 Nominating is restricted.

Results:
1). [26] L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
2). [16] Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
3). [15/11.5] Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
4). [15/8.5] Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
5). [10/8] Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
6). [10/7] Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
7). [9] Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
8). [7] The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82

Notes:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets was originally in WMA format. A copy has been placed in the extras folder for those demanding original encoding quality.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone.

Week 171 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old May 13, 2009, 08:06 AM #2 of 28
Album Title: THE ACES HIGH: RAIDEN RARE TRACKS
Artist: Go Sato
Disc Number: 1 (of 2)
Track Number: 8
Track Title: Limit Exceed (Level 4)
Catalog Number: INDV-0109
Year: 2006
Source: INDV-0109: THE ACES HIGH: RAIDEN RARE TRACKS - VGMdb

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2009, 12:36 PM #3 of 28
With BSC '09 starting up, it's time to start thinking about the traditional SotW Summer Hiatus. I forget what we did last year--did we quit during round one voting or just go to a two-week format during the whole thing? Since Tails promises a compressed timetable, we'd best sort this out soon. Anyway:

Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea Really interesting; it's very sedate, but not at all the calypso kind of sedate you'd expect. More a neoclassical sort of easy-listening NPR music. The melody could be stronger, and there are some dull spots, but a pleasant surprise overall.

Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper Like most of this OST, original and non-original, this is pure unadulterated bleepy fun. A little on the short side, but what's there is gold.

L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper This is what I ws epecting the Bermuda song to sound like. There's nothing wrong with this sort of lazy lounge music, it's just not my bag.

Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots Decent chiptune-style music, but nothing that really made an impression.

Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie Some okay synth licks here and there, but nothing that really gets the blood pumping. At least it sounds fairly original for a racing track.

Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li) I feel like I could say all the things for this song that I could for the last one, replacing "racing" with "fighting." There's a subtle Asian lit to the music, but still not enough to make it really stand out.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets I had high hopes for this one, since NES and SNES Turtles music was generally really good. Sadly, while energetic, the music isn't much to write home about--not much melody, just atmosphere generated by en endless stream of funky chords.

The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82 Raises a good synth-orchestra ruckus, but in the end it sort of uses volume as a way of overcoming compositional flaws. Still some good parts, though.

Ugh, what people said about last week (which I liked) describes this week. I guess we're all saving our A-Game for the BSC.

The Point Spread
Jumper - 3 pts.
The Coral Sea - 2 pts.
Clip82 - 1 pt.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 07:19 PM #4 of 28
2 Points Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
2 Points: Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
1 Point: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
1 Point: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

This was an alright week. Most tracks were fairly average but not unpleasant.

I think, regarding the BSC, last year we made each SotW run for two weeks during the first and second rounds. Of course, those rounds were rather drawn out, so this year we may not need to hold back for quite so long.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old May 14, 2009, 08:11 PM Local time: May 14, 2009, 05:11 PM #5 of 28
3 points - L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
2 points - Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
1 point - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets

"Streets" reminds me of something from Final Fantasy X-2, but I like it. Also, I finally got to hear something else Masanori Akita worked on (besides Enthusia, of course).

I was speaking idiomatically.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2009, 06:22 PM #6 of 28
Anything I nominate for next week is probably going to lose because of Tim Follin (heck, I might give Follin more points than my own nom). Regardless...

Album: The War of Genesis III PART1 + PART2 Original Sound Track
Artist: Sung-Woon Jang
Track Title: Glorious Morning
Track #: Disc 1, Track 10
Catalog #: 480063
Year: 2001
Source: VGMDB
Comments: Shorter and simpler than my usual noms, but I really like this song.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 04:38 AM Local time: May 17, 2009, 02:38 AM #7 of 28
Yeah, last year we extended voting by a week for the BSC. I'm definitely in favor of doing that again, rather than bringing everything to a halt.

3 points: L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
2 points: Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
1 point: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
can't believe I'm not giving points to: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

Now I don't have to agonize any more about whether I should nominate Canary Creeper or that other Lu7 track. (not saying what it is) ((not that it'll place))

I don't remember the intro movie theme from Rush 2 at all, and now I'm feeling bad because it's awesome.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 07:56 AM #8 of 28
(2 points) Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
(2 points) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
(1 point) L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
(1 point) Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

Nomination:

Album: 3D Lemmings (PSX Redbook Audio)
Artist: PC Music Ltd.
Track Title: LEMGO 1
Track #: 10
Year: 1995
Source: My game rip

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 11:55 AM Local time: May 17, 2009, 06:55 PM #9 of 28
2 points: Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
2 points: L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
1 point: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
1 point: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 01:01 PM Local time: May 18, 2009, 02:01 AM #10 of 28
I'm finally getting a breather from work and now have a legitimate reason to loaf around, catch-up on my video games, watch shows I've missed out on etc.

So here are my votes for the week with comments.

(2 points) The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82
What I feel the track succeeds in is by not having a melody that stands out too much thanks to the overlaying of percussion beats. This prevents fatigue from setting in after listening to the piece multiple times, mespecially since I've been hearing it so often in the past few days playing the game. But this also means it might not make a good first impression (and I'd be very gratified if at least one person other than myself likes it).

(2 points) L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
For whatever reasons, I keep thinking there's someone screaming "Mortal Kombat" in the background when this song plays. Which makes the track all the stranger when bagpipes play. But it's otherwise a surprisingly good track. Great melody and meaningful transitions.

(1 point) Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
Great song, with neat synths and all. It also gets extra nods for its good whimsical lilt. Wish I have more time on my hands to discover more songs like this. But it ends so abruptly, which is really such a waste.

(1 point) Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
I must admit the synths are a draw for me in this track. I also like how it builds upon itself and manages to be engaging without having a terribly strong melody.

And the others, which I liked quite a lot, too.

Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
Snatches of it remind me of a tune I've heard somewhere before. It's very pleasant and I wouldn't mind playing this while busying myself with something else. The ending could have been better, however.

Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
Oddly enough, I find myself liking the intro alot. I guess it's to do with its simplicity and instrumentation. The bit that comes after is pretty good but again, the ending was too sudden for my liking.

Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
After listening to the track, I'm reminded that it's dangerous to write off songs until you listen to them. Because "Spinning Bird" didn't turn out as bad as I thought it might have (memories of the not too terrific movie adaptation of Chun-Li). It's not the most original song but it sure has a good groove going and some fairly nifty interludes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
I'm very tempted to give this points because it's catchy and smooth. It really captures the kind of noisy, neon-lighted street you'd expect to be frought with bad guys waiting to be walloped by oversized turtles (or tortoises/terrapins?). But this surprisingly neat piece falls a tad shy of the other tracks I gave points to.

=====

And here's my new nomination which I've been meaning to bring-up for a while. But if the game and correspondingly the music are deemed to be popular, will swap it out with another tune.

* Album Title: Persona 4 Original Soundtrack
* Artist: Shoji Meguro
* Track Title: The Almighty
* Source: SVWC-7566~7: Persona 4 Original Soundtrack - VGMdb
* File Location: Nominations folder (upcoming)
* Disc Number: 2 (of 2)
* Track Number: 23
* Catalogue Number: SVWC-7567
* Year: 2008

I think therefore I am... I think.
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 04:05 PM Local time: May 17, 2009, 11:05 PM #11 of 28
<<3 Points>> Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
<<1 Point>> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
<<1 Point>> L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
<<1 Point>> Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old May 17, 2009, 06:07 PM #12 of 28
1 point to:

Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets

ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old May 17, 2009, 11:30 PM #13 of 28
3 points: Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
2 points: L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
1 point: Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea

Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 01:06 AM Local time: May 18, 2009, 04:06 PM #14 of 28
I'm not familiar with any of these games or tracks, so this week should be interesting!

Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea is pretty, but isn't much of a piece of music in terms of enjoyability and entertaining value. The soundscape established is pleasant though, and combines with the title to create some nice imagery. The orchestration is sound (as is the whole track), but nothing really makes me want to listen to it again.

Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper is cute, and carries a nice bouncy pace and sense of melody. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and just invites the listener on for an innocuous, enjoyable ride. One of the best new discoveries for me recently!

L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper is pretty inoffensive, but the cheese far outweighs the substance (case in point: African chants). While some parts sounded slick and enjoyable, too often it sounded like "wow the composer's really trying too hard" (case in point" bagpipes). Overall incohesive and cheesy, but still decent.

Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots has an awesome introduction, but somewhat loses its luster as the song progresses and becomes a tad more predictable. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it though; the drive and melody buildup towards the end was rather alluring, and the contrast at the 1 minute mark is great. I enjoy it, but I probably won't be listening to it very often.

Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie is funny, I don't really know why though. It's entertaining and gets the blood pumping a bit, despite having a pretty flimsy melody. However overall I liked this one!

Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li) is OK without having any truly outstanding elements. Yeah, no real qualms or praises regarding this one.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets is really bland, methinks. The style is really predictable, and there aren't any melodic nuances to help hide it. Just a very uninspired track, and given the pedigree, I'm sorely disappointed. (turtles music is usually funktastic and awesome)

As much as I probably sound like an uneducated fool saying this: The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82 is bloody boring. Try again, Xuan Yuan---dramatic orchestration does nothing for me unless there's something substantial behind it (and while there could be amazing examples of musical theory in this track, to me it just sounds insipid).

POINTASTIC!

3 points: Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
2 points: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
1 point: Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots
4th: Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
5th: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
6th: L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
7th: The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82
8th: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets

An OK week. The good definitely outweighed the bad for me, at least.

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 07:26 AM Local time: May 18, 2009, 01:26 PM #15 of 28
3 points ~ L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
2 points ~ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets
1 point ~ Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots

FELIPE NO
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2009, 11:17 AM #16 of 28
3 points: Canary Creeper
1 point: Streets
1 point: Spinning Bird
1 point: Clip82
Missed: Introduction Movie

Canary Creeper is fantastic. Rest of the week doesn't even come close, though I did like Streets and Spinning Bird quite a bit.

Most amazing jew boots
Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old May 18, 2009, 07:29 PM #17 of 28
(3 Points) Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
(2 Points) Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea
(1 Point) L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old May 19, 2009, 12:21 AM #18 of 28
Here's a nomination.

Artist: Kou Hayashi, Daisuke Nagata
Album: Chaos Field Soundtrack
Track Title: back in to the machine -phase 5-
Track Number: 10
Year: 2004
Source: STRV-001: ChaosField Sound Track - VGMdb
Other Info: I can upload to the ftp.

Opfer
nice

Member 28563

Level 18.16

Mar 2008

Old May 19, 2009, 12:47 AM Local time: May 19, 2009, 07:47 AM #19 of 28
3 Points: Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper
2 Points: Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie
1 Point: Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2009, 09:28 AM #20 of 28
So are we going into 2-week SotW's starting this week, or next?

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2009, 10:45 AM #21 of 28
I needed the extra time.

Voting:

Well the Castle Crashers sums up my thoughts about this week. I was really waiting for that track just to take off with infectious, sugary energy, but remains just a level below what I hoped for. Most tracks were decent but lacked major punch.

(3 points) L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper
(2 points) Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)
(1 point) Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 02:09 PM #22 of 28
Okay, then, by the power vested in me by the state of CHz, I declare that this will be a two-week SotW. We're already halfway there, why not make it official.Unless he decides to override me and end voting. Which he can do.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2009, 07:00 PM Local time: May 20, 2009, 05:00 PM #23 of 28
I was holding the week open because I wanted a nomination to fill a large hole in the middle of the queue, but then I never actually told anyone. Guess the theory that you all can read my mind is disproven, good show fellas.

Also I forgot to add a nomination Draconis made last week which would've made that pointless, so, basically, week extended due to incompetence.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Klondike
Small Time

Member 1186

Level 12.83

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2009, 10:02 AM #24 of 28
Bermuda Syndrome The Symphonic Soundtrack - The Coral Sea - A sleepy melody with plain instrumentation, I'm not finding a lot here to pique my interest. There are little passages that remind me of some of the better orchestral songs in the Star Ocean series, but they're surrounded by longer and more featureless stretches.

Castle Crashers (Game Rip) - Jumper - Very happy, but also very simple, and I'm not won over by the melody. It's a subjective thing obviously, but it doesn't have

L'esprit de l'exil - Canary Creeper - I'd like to echo orion_mk3's comment about "lazy lounge music". It feels like something that might play in a beach resort hotel lobby to pass the time. Not a fan.

Music From Yaksa & Arcus - Origin of the Master's Roots - This is the most interesting one so far. The melody is more winning, and a solid rhythm propels it along. I don't know if I'll end up keeping it around, but I'm enjoying it for the moment. The key change at the end is a nice touch.

Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA (Game Rip) - Introduction Movie - The beginning of the song has a solid hook, but it never gets much beyond that. The melody that gets introduced is cookie cutter, and the song never introduces much in the way of color.

Street Fighter EX2 - SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li) - I'm a huge fan of Shinji Hosoe, and a fan of Ayako Saso, so I was hoping for this one to be really good. It's one of my faves from this batch, but it doesn't compare with the originality of their other work. A bland specimen, in my opinion.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003 PS2 Game Rip) - Streets - Pretty much a mindless guitar riff song.

The Sword of Xuan Yuan Side Story Clouds of the Han Dynasty (Game Rip) - Clip82 - I found the sound of this one the most interesting, and it'll get most of my votes. It just seems to take the most chances with rhythm and instrumentation, out of all.

Clip82 - 3 points
Origin of the Master's Roots - 2 points
SPINNING BIRD - 1 point

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
My Blog

Currently listening to:
Everything by Pogo
Ed Bellis
LOL!

Member 22923

Level 20.21

Jun 2007

Old May 21, 2009, 11:25 AM #25 of 28
2 points: Jumper
1 point: Canary Creeper
1 point: Origin of the Master's Roots
1 point: Introduction Movie
1 point: SPINNING BIRD (Chun-Li)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 170 Voting/WEEK 171 Nominating