Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Religion: What it means to you

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 03:36 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 04:36 PM #51 of 834
Hey, PM me about your questions sometime. Maybe we can discuss them. Or AIM chat, or something. *shrugs*

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 04:56 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 06:26 PM #52 of 834
I am a Pagan. I turned my back on Christianity because my mother gave me a nasty view on it. I was forced into church, confirmation and the such. She tried to force her views on social issues on me like gays are wrong and abortion is the work of the devil.

I think I was a pagan since I was 6 because I had all their beliefs. I even celebrate the pagan holidays what Christianity converted into their own, like Yule/Christmas. I really think that Christianity is a awesome religion (Jesus really kicks ass!) and you can't go wrong with the ten commandments, but as long a people like my mother exist within it, I kind of feel turned off by it

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 05:03 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 06:03 PM #53 of 834
So the only reason why you believe what you do is because your mother believes what she does so strongly?
How absurd.
There are 3 ways in which you can grow up in relation to your parents.
You can either:
1. Conform exactly to how your parents are
2. Conform exactly to how your parents aren't
3. Judge carefully on what is the good, and what is the bad, and learn from it.

Two of these ways, you're parents control how you act.

It would be foolish to be pagan simply because your mom was a bad example. Don't let that control you.

How ya doing, buddy?
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:56 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:56 PM #54 of 834
Im a Druid.
Ok I used to be a christian, but then one of my friends told me about paganism and it was just one of the most amazing experiences of my life. It was because I that I had always been a pagan, and I had never known it. Suddenly everything I believed in wasn't something I was just making up in my head, but something that a whole load of other people believed in too! It was amazing! I hear this is experience is known as 'coming home'. Yeah, so from then 'til now I have been a very satisfyed Druid, who truely feels at one with the world and nature : )
Ok now I don't have a problem with any other religions, but I just think that any religion that can only exist because of some text in a book is well, questionable. For pagans there are no old texts to base your life on, because the 'religion' is derived from nature.

EDIT: Oh, and none of my family is religious!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"HiiiisssssssssSSSSS" - Madagascan Hissing Cockroach
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:05 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 08:05 PM #55 of 834
So in other words, you make it up as you go along.

Sounds like stuff I did as a kid.
Then I realized I was only decieving myself.

FELIPE NO
Chibi Neko

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 08:48 PM #56 of 834
Not really, being pushed in a direction that I do not want to follow is not making look good to me. Everyone in my home community are like that.

I don't really believe in a lot of the social issues that hard-core Christians have, so I just walk outside of it. Pagans do not preach and try to spread their word, Christians do. Actually, some of the great religions of the world where almost extinct because of Christians 500-1000 years ago.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:20 AM #57 of 834
Negative. I am making nothing up.
I can understand how it may seem that I am though. As I say, I had all of these ideas about how life works etc, and then found that there were many other who shared the same view, called Pagans. I think that these views of the world came to me simply because I am a creature on this planet, and I believe all people in the world can awaken to what I would consider the 'truth'.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 08:53 PM #58 of 834
Originally Posted by Chibi Neko
Actually, some of the great religions of the world where almost extinct because of Christians 500-1000 years ago.
Like the Aztec religions? Or the polynesian head-hunters? Or the original druids? Or the american indian groups?
All of these were immensely violent cultures, built around war and violence.
Can you give any such examples of nice, peaceful groups who were "destroyed" by Christian evangelism?

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Megalith Beast
Negative. I am making nothing up.
I can understand how it may seem that I am though. As I say, I had all of these ideas about how life works etc, and then found that there were many other who shared the same view, called Pagans. I think that these views of the world came to me simply because I am a creature on this planet, and I believe all people in the world can awaken to what I would consider the 'truth'.
Care to elaborate on what these are?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 4, 2006 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:11 AM #59 of 834
Okay I will elaborate a bit. Before I was a Pagan, I believed that animals were of equal value to humans, and that they should never be purposely harmed (unless you intend to eat them), and should be respected. I believed that all creatures and the earth itself shared a spiritual energy. Now this is something I believed because it was something I thought I could 'feel', thats as best as I can explain it. I also believed in reincarnation. It was what made sense to me. However these beliefs did not fit with christianity. For example, christians believe animals do not have souls, and they do not believe in reincarnation. The idea of heaven and hell made no sense to me.
So yeah, I was delighted when I discovered Paganism, I felt whole.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:13 PM #60 of 834
But, is all of it true?
Just because a lot of people believe it to be so, and have done so for a long time, and you agree with them, does not make it factual. :-P ( :flatearth101: )

Blanka
Syklis Green

Member 1209

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:16 PM #61 of 834
Originally Posted by Fyodor D.
No you made perfect sense. I understand what you are talking about, and you are absolutely right about it being your relationship with other believers. However, I find it bothersome when people say that there is a difference between house churches, and churches where people gather in a building that is not a home. There really should be no difference between the 2, except for size, but yet common understanding seems to say so.
So anyways, you DO go to a church. It's just a smaller scale, more intimate (as churches SHOULD be) church.
Ok good, I'm glad you know where I'm coming from. And I agree, churches should be more intimate.

How ya doing, buddy?
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:21 AM #62 of 834
I believe it to be true because I 'feel' that it is real!
I can't tell you anything as a fact. I go by my feelings, but hey my 'feelings' could just be chemical reactions making me think things, but then again, maybe its something deeper than that. Well anyway, I trust in my feelings, so to me, what I believe in is very real.

majario
Arin=Sexy+Magic=Super Pangya!

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:25 PM #63 of 834
I'm a Christian. My mom is Christian so I guess I just accepted the faith that she took. When I was little she always used to take us to church and when I saw her first get into it, it interested me at the same time. B/c of my faith I've been able to view things more positively. It has shaped me to be a better man but by all means I'm not perfect. If you met me you wouldn't know what faith I was b/c I keep it to myself. I don't talk about it ever unless someone brings it up or asks me.

FELIPE NO
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:26 PM #64 of 834
I believe it to be true because I 'feel' that it is real!
I can't tell you anything as a fact. I go by my feelings, but hey my 'feelings' could just be chemical reactions making me think things, but then again, maybe its something deeper than that. Well anyway, I trust in my feelings, so to me, what I believe in is very real.
Ah, but your feelings are predetermined by your previous experiences, which map out your emotional responses to stuff. Emotions and feelings are unreliable as an objective source of determining truth. ( :Neurology101::Psychology101: )

I hope Sassu doesn't get all angry at me for being this inquisitive in her thread. :P

And I see there are exclamation points in your post. Please don't get riled up. I am just saying and asking stuff.

EDIT: also... did you used to watch Captain Planet when you were young?

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 4, 2006 at 08:30 PM.
Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:46 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:46 AM #65 of 834
Excuse my exclamation marks, that is where I am getting excited, not angry. You may have a good scientific theory about feelings, but I think that they exist on a spiritual level as well. I realise it's irriatating when 'religious' types use spiritual energy in their arguements because it can't be proven or disproven, but that's just the way I think it is.
Oh and I did watch Captain Planet, heh, Hmmmmmm, well who knows, my whole life could be based around that mediocre cartoon!

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:52 PM #66 of 834
Quote:
but as long a people like my mother exist within it, I kind of feel turned off by it
I've always wondered about this point of view. Why would you turn your back on a religion because some people are practicing it incorrectly? Isn't it likely that there are some who call themselves Pagans that behave in ways that would be embarrassing to you? The religion is not about those people, though.

Christianity is not the behavioral patterns of people who call themsevles Christian. The only valid example of what a Christian should be like is Jesus himself, and you said yourself that you approve of him. Anyone can call themselves anything and yet behave anyway they choose. Judge an institution by what it is and not what it's supposed followers do.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 08:56 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:56 PM #67 of 834
Excuse my exclamation marks, that is where I am getting excited, not angry. You may have a good scientific theory about feelings, but I think that they exist on a spiritual level as well. I realise it's irriatating when 'religious' types use spiritual energy in their arguements because it can't be proven or disproven, but that's just the way I think it is.
Oh and I did watch Captain Planet, heh, Hmmmmmm, well who knows, my whole life could be based around that mediocre cartoon!
I figured just as much about Captain Planet. You were born the same year I was. I used to be of the same sort of persuasions as you, to a certain extent. I guess I just could not find anything to substantiate it, and as such, it just became something fun to think about, but nothing more. I cannot also forget to credit my father for teaching me a lot about critical thinking.

As for feelings, I am finding it a rather interesting journey in my mind, as I delve into the deeper sciences, philosophies, and psychology, trying to pin down where exactly the spiritual may start and where the physical may end.

Wow, postcount+++ at this forum

Megalith Beast
Kroaton Overlord

Member 1611

Level 9.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:03 AM #68 of 834
Delving into philosophies and psychology hm? Heh I can tell you're that kind of person just from your signature! Ghost in the Shell does indeed raise some interesting points.
Well, I wish you luck on your 'spritual journey' if I may call it that!

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 09:31 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:31 PM #69 of 834
Delving into philosophies and psychology hm? Heh I can tell you're that kind of person just from your signature! Ghost in the Shell does indeed raise some interesting points.
Well, I wish you luck on your 'spritual journey' if I may call it that!

I am into everything.
And thanks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chibi Neko

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:45 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:15 AM #70 of 834
Originally Posted by Fyodor D.
Like the Aztec religions? Or the polynesian head-hunters? Or the original druids? Or the american indian groups?
All of these were immensely violent cultures, built around war and violence.
Can you give any such examples of nice, peaceful groups who were "destroyed" by Christian evangelism?
Here ya go.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:57 PM #71 of 834
Those were not through evangelism though.
Those are all perversions of Christianity, not operating even within the most strict of interpretations of scriptures.
Let us also not forget that there ARE people who will call themselves Christians, but only to attempt to gain the support of the populace at large, or only do so because that is basically the "cool" thing to do at the time.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:05 AM #72 of 834
I like how there is a picture of Einstein on the "atheist's resource" webpage. Smart = atheist, right?

Einstein was actually quite theistic. He wasn't very religious, but there is plenty of evidence that he believed in God.

I don't know who that guy on the left is either. Looks like Newton - a strong believer of Christianity.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:07 AM #73 of 834
Newton.
Every image I have ever seen of Descartes has him with at least a small mustache.
Not to mention that Descartes has a more prominent nose not nearly as prominent a chin.

Although Einstein was more Deistic than anything.
And Newton cast off many tenants of Orthodox Christianity, such as claiming that the Trinity was nothing but a machination of the Church.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:09 AM #74 of 834
Heh, sorry. I edited. It could be Descartes, though. Even so, he may not have been Christian, but he was strongly theistic.

It's only modern scientists that are mostly secular, having been galvanized by Evolutionism.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:29 AM #75 of 834
I don't think Galileo was too down with the whole Church thing. And don't you think it's possible that many of them were just into Christianity because they were brought up that way?

Quote:
Those were not through evangelism though.
Those are all perversions of Christianity, not operating even within the most strict of interpretations of scriptures.
Let us also not forget that there ARE people who will call themselves Christians, but only to attempt to gain the support of the populace at large, or only do so because that is basically the "cool" thing to do at the time.
I like how when it's another religion being violent, they're following it completey. But when a Christian goes and burns some teenagers at the stake, they're not following the tenets of the religion at all.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Religion: What it means to you