Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] God of War 3 - THIS, IS, KRATOOOOOOOOOOOS

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 05:57 PM #1 of 50
God of War 3 - THIS, IS, KRATOOOOOOOOOOOS

So I didn't see anything regarding a thread like this so I figured I'd start it off.

God of War 3 Teaser 2

Now, I really loved God of War 1 and 2 and Chains of Olympus was fantastic. This one is looking to not disappoint.

After the events of God of War 2
Spoiler:
where Kratos kills Athena by accident as she steps between him and Zeus, preventing him from killing Zeus
Kratos swears that vengeance will be his as he will reign down chaos against the Gods.

We know it'll be full of ass kicking and baddy slaughtering, just like the previous titles were. Oh and boobies will be present too.

Article on IGN about a "wishlist" of what they want in GoW3:

IGN: What We Want in God of War III

December 16, 2008 - Sony Computer Entertainment and its Santa Monica studio recently released the first gameplay trailer for the much-anticipated God of War III, the third installment in one of Sony's biggest exclusive franchises. The last game ended on a pretty big cliffhanger with Kratos heading off to take on the gods at the top of Mount Olympus, so there should be plenty of intense battles in store for us.

With the franchise being so popular and important to the PlayStation 3's library, nevermind the fact that a bunch of us here are huge fans of the series, we thought we'd share our take on what we want to see in the game.

Branching Quicktime Events
The Quicktime events are staples of the God of War franchise. Matching on-screen button cues with your own button presses while Kratos rips apart a baddie in the background has always resulted in an awesome sight, but we'd like to see this taken to the next level. Instead of simply matching the button icons, we'd like to have the sequence work as a branching act where you're essentially choosing where and what Kratos does next. So, if he's just climbed up to something's chest, Square might take you down its left arm, Circle might take you down the right, while Triangle would send you right at its head. Some options would be better than others, while others would end poorly. It would be tricky implementing this so that the player can always expect what will happen next, but seeing this done right could be awesome.

Click the image above to watch the trailer.
A Proper Ending
We're tired of game after game these days ending without an actual, you know, ending. We're not clamoring for the end to Kratos' adventures, but we really want to see God of War III properly finish off this trilogy with a fantastic and solid finale. Don't string us along and leave us hanging. We want an actual outcome (preferably one where Kratos stabs the Earth in half to kill everyone).

Focus on the Blades
The trailer shows off a hefty set of gauntlets, which look cool enough, but the extra weapons aren't what makes Kratos the badass that he is. It's the Blades of Chaos (or Athena) coupled with his anger that make him practically unstoppable, and we want the focus to remain on that combo. Extra weapons are cool to mess with and can present interesting puzzle solutions, but we absolutely don't want Kratos' blades to be overshadowed by some crazy amount of extraneous armaments. Please, Santa Monica, keep Kratos as pure and raw as he's always been and everything will be all right.

Massive Environments
Traversing massive environments has been half the fun in the franchise thus far, and we only want to see them get bigger. The first gameplay trailer barely shows any of this, with camera angles situated low and in such a way that you really only see the characters. Please do not let this be an indication that Kratos' journeys have lead him to boring plains and rocky plateaus. We have the utmost faith that Sony Santa Monica will deliver here, but it simply can't go unsaid.

Character Development for the Gods
With Kratos heading off to take on everyone with other-worldly powers, the game could easily fall into the trappings of many sequels where too many characters are introduced and none of them are given enough screen time to develop their character traits. Sure, we all know who many of these gods will be, but the ones we've seen so far have always had an interesting God of War slant to them. Hopefully we'll get to know these guys a bit before Kratos cuts them in half.

Plenty of Behind-the-Scenes Content (in HD)
The first two titles featured a ton of this kind of footage, and we want to see more of it. It's commonplace for publishers to toss this kind of content into Collector's Edition sets these days, but we'd love to see making of footage included with every copy of the game. We're not saying we don't want a Collector's Edition. We just want the standard package to be chock-full of goodies.

Multiplayer Challenges
Turning God of War into an online co-op game wouldn't ever really work (we don't think anyway). But that doesn't mean that hopping online in multiplayer-specific challenges wouldn't be a blast. The trailer shows Kratos taking on a screen-full of skeletons or some such, which looks perfect to us for an online survival setting. Left 4 Dead meets God of War, anyone?

Different Filter Tech (think Uncharted)
With all of the whiz-bang rendering tech we're bound to see in the game, it would be cool to be able to tweak some of the settings as a bonus for those who unlock the option. The feature was a really cool little unlockable in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and it would certainly be welcome here.

Multiple Paths
The franchise thus far has been an extremely linear experience (that's not a complaint, mind you), but it would be cool to see options given for Kratos on where to go next. The upgrade system could tie into this as you could go around and hunt for hidden treasures, so those who took the time to fully explore the world would be rewarded for it. It would also allow for spots that might not be intrinsic to the story experience, which would be cool.

Puzzles on a Bigger Scale
We've seen some pretty big puzzles, especially in God of War II, but like everything else in the franchise, bigger is usually better. We're talking full-level puzzles where the entire layout changes as you alter the environment to open that one locked door. Things like this help sell the size and scope of the game, as well as helping to enforce the fact that the world isn't a static place but one that Kratos can (and must) alter to progress.

Maintain the Balance Between Combat and Puzzles
While they haven't ever been overly complicated, God of War's puzzles have always been a great break from all the action, and we want to see the mix continue with the same brawn vs. brains ratio that's been there in the last two games. Throwing in cool puzzles helps give the franchise a tiny bit of that Indiana Jones feel where Kratos needs to make his way through millennia-old environments, which is always great.

Huge Boss Battles
God of War has always had great boss battles, but if you were to rank the fights from best on down, you'd almost certainly find the biggest guys at the top. God of War II and Chains of Olympus featured a handful of fights against "normal" sized bosses, which weren't as engaging as something like the kraken or the Colossus.

Context-Sensitive Kills
We love blood as much as the next guy, and Kratos sure knows how to spill it. But after seeing him rip a harpy in half or shove his blades down the throat of a beast for the hundredth time, you begin to want a little variety. More animations here would be great, as would context-sensitive kills that utilized bits and pieces of the environment.

Take God of War II and Turn it up to 11
Really, this is all we want. The first two games (especially the second) were so finely crafted and were so densely packed with awesome environments and fights that more of the same, but taken to the next level, would suit us just fine. If there's one thing that we hope Sony Santa Monica takes from this wishlist, it's that we don't need drastic changes to the formula, just more of what we've had all along. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just add a new coat of paint and some more blood.

Oh and the trailer above is gameplay too, apparently.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:36 PM #2 of 50
I honestly can't wait for part 3 since the last one left it into a huge cliffhanger when i thought "oh shit things are about to get badass" and then "THE END" WTF!
although the trailer didn't leave me all that impressed. Didn't care all that much the the graphics weren't as good as heavenly sword (might be an early build), but alot of the action there was nothing too eye dropping that I couldn't get from a run in gow2.
I'll just wait and see until they release a trailer more in it's completion.

Most amazing jew boots

New Record!
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:48 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 09:48 AM #3 of 50
I honestly can't wait for part 3 since the last one left it into a huge cliffhanger when i thought "oh shit things are about to get badass" and then "THE END" WTF!
Sounds like God of War 2 pulled a Halo 2 with its ending, which is surprising because who didn't find the Halo 2 ending fucking annoying?

Anyways, the trailer for this looks pretty impressive, but I've not played a God of War game yet. I always hear good things about them and they do sound like something I'd probably enjoy. I may well end up checking this out, but not sure the moment.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 05:06 AM #4 of 50
I'm the opposite of Shenlon. God of War 2 was a complete blast, but then the sudden cliffhanger ending left the game feeling short and incomplete. At first it made me anxious for the sequel, but then it just kinda pissed me off once I thought about it. After that I'm going to wait a bit before buying GoW3 to see if they do the same thing and make the series one god per game to stretch things out across multiple sequels.

Of course, I don't own a PS3 and have no plans of getting one any time soon so waiting won't be an issue. That's part of what irritated me in the first place. I'd rather not pay for a game just to be told that I have to buy a whole other console to see the (possible) conclusion.

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 07:44 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 01:44 PM #5 of 50
This might be the game that sells me a PS3 actually. I absolutely love the first two games (Although thinking about it, I never actually finished the second one. I got stuck on a savage fight against a bunch of massive troll things and archers, put it down for a couple of days then got distracted by something else and keep forgetting I never finished it) and thanks to Qwarky I've got Chains of Olympus to play now too (He sent me GoW2 as well thinking about it, what a guy!). The thing I always loved about the games was that it's just perfect, fairly uncomplicated fighting, pretty much non-stop. Sure there's a couple of puzzles now and then but the solutions are generally pretty obvious and you're unlikely to ever get stuck on one. The fighting is so fluid and intuitive you never find yourself battling the controls, when you get killed it's because you picked a stupid combo or rolled at the wrong time, not because Kratos didn't do what you wanted him to.

I'm sure the third game will be on an even more epic scale and hopefully will feature the same mix of huge fights against swarms of bad guys, boss fights against massive enemies and the odd puzzle or two. I'll be keeping an eye on this certainly.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:26 AM #6 of 50
Wasn't quite as blown away by the graphics as I thought I would be, mainly due to Jaffe's comments. But apparently what's been shown is nothing compared to what parts of the game really looks like. So far no I'm holding back my excitement in that regard until I see some more videos. But hey, it's God of War 3. The last two games were pretty damn fun and good action/hack and slash games are pretty rare these days. Hell, the last one I played was Ninja Gaiden 2 in early summer and before that I can't even remember.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 03:37 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 03:37 PM #7 of 50
I know this has been said before with many different game franchises (I'm looking at you, Metal Gear), but supposedly God of War 3 is going to be the last entry in the franchise.

God of War Series Ending with God of War 3

I hope this isn't true, as the games are fun as fuck. They don't have an incredibly deep or intricate story line, and sometimes seem to twist the whole Greek mythology thing to make it convenient for the game, but I still find their whole take on it very interesting and fun.

The Greek Mythology universe is pretty big, and seems like they could make quite a few games about the different Gods/Titans/monsters/etc. Oh well, maybe they just don't want to butcher the game into the ground.

How ya doing, buddy?
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:07 PM #8 of 50
Probably just the last in the trilogy (quadrilogy?) Like Halo (maybe.) GoW is almost too profitable to just let the brand go.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:16 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2008, 10:16 PM #9 of 50
I'll be glad if they let it go, as I would rather have the series end on a high rather than becoming watered-down shit-fests as most sequels end up becoming. Then hopefully Dante's Inferno will take its place as a good new IP (Since Jason and the Argonauts apparently didn't...)

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 12:31 AM #10 of 50
Given that the story will inevitably end with the death of all the Greek gods, I'd imagine this'll be the end of the trilogy and the story but I'd be amazed if there weren't a bunch of spin-offs. Kratos is one of Sony's most iconic characters these days so they won't let him die with this game (Well he'll probably die at the end but you know what I mean, there'll be prequels or some sort of God of War: Underworld or something).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:34 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 08:34 AM #11 of 50
If your are right and Kratos kills all the Greek gods, I'd actually like to see future games where Kratos, in his quest for revenge and his family, turns to different pantheons. A God of War set in Egyptian times or something like that? Yeah, chronologically it doesn't fit, but you'd get to fight dudes with animal heads, like, how cool is that?

(It's an old pet idea. Kratos dismembering gods from all old religions. Norse, Egyptian you name it. And a bonus level in the end where Kratos gets his ass handed to him by Cthulhu, because no one fucks with Cthulhu...)

Most amazing jew boots

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:48 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 12:48 AM #12 of 50
If your are right and Kratos kills all the Greek gods, I'd actually like to see future games where Kratos, in his quest for revenge and his family, turns to different pantheons. A God of War set in Egyptian times or something like that? Yeah, chronologically it doesn't fit, but you'd get to fight dudes with animal heads, like, how cool is that?

(It's an old pet idea. Kratos dismembering gods from all old religions. Norse, Egyptian you name it. And a bonus level in the end where Kratos gets his ass handed to him by Cthulhu, because no one fucks with Cthulhu...)
Cthulu? Be more internet gay, why don't you?

The obvious bit of genius is either Kratos fucking up Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter or just punching Buddha.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 01:52 AM 2 #13 of 50
GOD OF WAR IV: BAD KARMA

IF YOU MEET THE BUDDHA ON THE ROAD, KILL HIM

Coming Spring 2010

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:04 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 12:04 PM #14 of 50
I'd be willing to bet real money that this GoW will feature a water level where you end up killing Poseidon, an underworld level where you kill Hades and a final mount Olympus level where you have to kill Hercules and a final battle against Zeus. The end will probably see Kratos finally reunited with his family in the Elysian Fields or something gay like that. I doubt they'd make another ancient Greek one as they're running out of well known Greek myths and it's the familiarity that people like.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:15 AM #15 of 50
Considering the GoW 2 bonus disc showed a partially completed Atlantis area that would've been basically a second half of the game, there's a very strong chance that they used it as a starting point for part of GoW 3. I'd be genuinely surprised if they didn't.

Wasn't Hercules already used as a boss in GoW 2? Maybe I'm just thinking of Perseus, but I could swear Hercules was in there too at some point.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2008, 06:21 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2008, 12:21 PM #16 of 50
Perseus certainly was, Hercules might have been but later in the game than I got to.

Roan
Chocobo

Member 1565

Level 13.78

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:06 AM #17 of 50
I love GOW, so glad I kept the Black Label ps2 prequels in mint condition. Im plan to remake the manual and covers to fit an empty blu ray case so when the 3rd one comes out it'll all look like a trilogy package. LoL

...but I dont know where to buy empty blu ray cases. tsk.

Last edited by Roan; Dec 27, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:05 AM #18 of 50
Ahhhh... new trailer!

IGN Video: God of War III PlayStation 3 Trailer - Fear Nothing Trailer

And man does it look sooo fucking good.

Youtube video:

God of War III Trailer

Not as good quality (of course) as the direct trailer from IGN, but it still gets the point across.

Article on IGN along with the trailer:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/954/954097p1.html

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:52 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 12:52 PM #19 of 50
Zeus was the last boss in gow2 right?? maybe he comes back..
or maybe you fight athena

no homo
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 06:12 AM #20 of 50
didn't: (spoiler for the end of God of war 2)

Spoiler:
Didn't Athena die by the hand of Kratos trying to protect Zeus in GoW2?

How ya doing, buddy?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:52 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 11:52 AM 1 #21 of 50
We'll see how it is. GoW1 was wonderful, and I replayed it just before GoW2. Maybe that was a mistake, because #2 felt like an expansion pack of sorts Everything felt rather similar and I got bored fast. No clue why, honestly.

Gotta admit that I loved punting dogs in #2 :V I'll drag myself through 2 before trying 3 though.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:57 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 10:57 PM #22 of 50
Zeus was the last boss in gow2 right?? maybe he comes back..
He CAME back. The end cutscene says it all. Besides, it would suck if he wasn`t the last boss on this game.

That said, looks nice and whatnot. Loved 1, 2 was alright. Keeping this on watch.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 01:25 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 11:25 PM #23 of 50
It really kind of sucks that I probably won't get to play this game unless I swipe a PS3 from one of my friends and play through it in one weekend or something. Loved the first 2 games and I'll definitely want to play the third, especially if those are in-game graphics.

Most amazing jew boots
Miho
Chocobo

Member 13767

Level 12.83

Oct 2006

Old Feb 16, 2009, 03:55 PM #24 of 50
It looks awesome. I'm looking forward to it, but I still have to finish God of War 1 and 2, and God of War: Chains of Olympus. With every new God of War game, it gets better and better.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:49 PM #25 of 50
And with a little nudge for some gameplay footage~

E3 2009 God of War footage

Extended footage from E3 2009 (off screen).

This game is just looking more and more fantastic. March 2010 though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] God of War 3 - THIS, IS, KRATOOOOOOOOOOOS