Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Your (current) favorite composer?

Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:15 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2011, 11:15 PM #26 of 33
Flavour of the month would be Eric Whitacre, Arvo Part, Mike Nock, Elena Kats-Chernin, Per Norgard and John Zorn.

Of the dead composers: William Alwyn, Arnold Bax, Percy Grainger, Gabriel Pierne, Carlo Gesualdo, Santiago De Murcia, Mateo Flecha, Cristobal De Morales, Guillaume Dufay, Jean-Marie Leclair, Dietrich Buxtehude and G. F. Handel (operas) are my most recent favourites, although it changes every week.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

BACH 2012 | Music Show | Into The Music | Proust's Cookie | Blogs
Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:16 PM #27 of 33
Michael Land

I was in love with the monkey island series for a long time

Then I moved onto Nobuo Uematsu for a long time

Until I hit Yasunori Mitsuda and Chrono Trigger

Then Hirokki Kikkuta for a long time for seikken 2

Then Back to Mitsuda as I fell in love with Chrono Cross

and then finally Koji Kondo for many of his wonderful games

to Ennio Morricone for a wee bit as I enjoyed a bunch of his osts (just heard the Mission) - great!

Now I'm kind of looking for something new

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Papa Haydn
The dark blue hours

Member 7593

Level 6.75

May 2006

Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:37 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2011, 07:37 PM 1 #28 of 33
Nice selection, NinjaguyDan. I went through some of the same favorites (as far as game music is concerned), though in a different order.

I really fancy the music of Michael Land. Have you ever heard his music for for "The Dig"? It is lovely work, great in mood and atmosphere, slow and eerie. It blends in orchestral samples for a nice harmonious affect. Many prefer more tuneful, faster and less ambient music, but this is a little different. Definitely one to play in the background or something to drift off to. I know it may not be new to you, but if you haven't already, check it out: Michael Land - The Dig

My current favorite musician is Tor Lundvall, and I likely will remain so for a long time. He composes ambient music in a somewhat more melodious form that's always seemed, to me, to capture an underlying sense of menace and coziness.

Here, try a sample:

(listen -->) Tor Lundvall - Ice

pass: thedarkbluehours

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Papa Haydn; Feb 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: thedarkbluehours
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:47 PM #29 of 33
P Haydn thank you so much for posting that. Ive only listened to the first few tracks so far but it's exactly the kind of stuff I'm really into right now.

Yeah I love the Dig, it's easily in my top 10 of greatest albums of all time. There's just something magical in the strings that takes you away.

I might have to get into Tor now, actually have you heard the 1000% slowed down jurrassic park? It's soo amazing.

I also just heard about Zoe Blade, this stuff is in a similar vein, very light.

Hello Calm | Zoƫ Blade

All the samples are full, but if you want the album lemme know

I was speaking idiomatically.
Papa Haydn
The dark blue hours

Member 7593

Level 6.75

May 2006

Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:11 PM Local time: Jan 18, 2011, 06:11 PM 1 #30 of 33
:DDD

Whoa thanks, Ninjaguy! Really, thanks for sharing Hello Calm. I'm listening to it right now (btw I love bandcamp.com) and it totally resonates with me.

This quotation of the artist embodies one of the aspects of ambient music that engrosses me so much:
Quote:
By the time I started my trek home, walking past shops and parks, everything would already be bathed in sunlight, but no one else would yet be awake. My otherwise familiar home town took on an eerie quality.
I know exactly what this means. Unfortunately, I am seldom able to capture this moment, but it is enthralling when I encounter it. The semblance is also captured by my enjoyment of Lundvall's craft.

I'm a huge fan of Lundvall. He's actually about to unveil a major release, a four CD set entitled The Seasons Unfold. Since you've had a positive reaction so far to Ice, please try the next album in line once you have the time for some sessions of entrancement. It's called The Mist.

(download --> ) Tor Lundvall - The Mist
pass: thedarkbluehours

Here's a little ditty I wrote about a couple tracks from Ice:
Quote:
From Ice:
Alone in this House - one of Tor's "prettiest", perhaps least gloomy tracks (though still maintains a nice subtle tinge of a ghostly vibe). I've often envisioned the tapping of different wine glasses as the source for the simple melody. Quite lovely.

She's Spinning - another gentle piano-like tune, pretty evocative for me of lazy, blue, rainy indoor weekdays. Interesting title for the song. Maybe Tor imagines a ballerina?

Lundvall is also a amazing painter. Check out his gallery and discography at torlundvall.com. Here are a few pieces which strike me:

As you can probably guess, he does his own CD cover artwork. Been intending on making a sig/avatar combo with these sometime. Anyways, always glad to share the Lundvall-love. Hope you enjoy, and please tell me about this 1000% slowed down Jurassic Park. Never heard of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Papa Haydn; Feb 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:15 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2011, 07:15 AM #31 of 33
For a while it was Masashi Hamauzu, but I haven't been truly impressed with one of his soundtracks since Unlimited SaGa, though Musashiden II and Sigma Harmonics were both great.

Currently, Yuzo Koshiro. Actraiser and Streets of Rage were good but didn't stand out to me. However, after hearing the Perfect Collection Sorcerian albums (of which he composed the source tunes), the Sekaiju no MeiQ albums, and the phenomenal Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3 album, I got hooked. Right now, the only other person that can come close is Manabu Namiki, but I still gotta give it to Yuzo.

How ya doing, buddy?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:24 AM Local time: Jan 20, 2011, 03:24 PM #32 of 33
Currently my favorite composers are both females: Yoko Shimomura and Yuki Kajiura

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:01 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2011, 08:01 AM #33 of 33
I'd have to say Motoi Sakuraba, Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Shimomura. It's like they take you into this "world" when you hear their music.

Most amazing jew boots
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Your (current) favorite composer?