Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl
Closed Thread

NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:19 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 08:49 PM #301 of 1323
But complaining about a more efficient way of playing, because it isn't as efficient as you want it to be is stupid. Be happy you have any online.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:23 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:23 AM #302 of 1323
Ken is the undisputed champion of Melee professional play, save for the recent fall to PCchris in the recent MLG tournament. There's a lot of rivalry and competition revolving around Smash, just look at the Smashboards. I'm not personally involved in the whole professional Smash universe, but you know, just the idea of getting your name out there because your good at something (and gaming, no less!), isn't that intriguing?

Edit: NovaX, you act like I'm asking for something unreasonable. Do you seriously think that asking for this is unreasonable?

I'm going to get it. I'm going to play it. And if it's enjoyable, I'm going to enjoy it. I'm not going to let the lack of online capability get in the way of that. But when you see potential, don't you reach out and grab it? Or do you let it slide? I think Nintendo has a lot of potential here, and it would be pity to see it get wasted.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Vulpes_Callidus; May 12, 2006 at 06:35 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:33 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 01:33 PM #303 of 1323
So is it confirmed Smash Bros Brawl will be played exclusively with friends codes? Confirmed there will be no lobby systems or anything like that?

Even if there aren't, the internet will work around it. Animal Crossing GC wasn't online, but message boards dedicated to exhanging item made it work better than most online games.

People won't play tournaments online anyway and whatever professional gangs and communities there will be, they will have a website/message board to get to know people, set up games and share codes. In order to get to know them, you get to know them through the boards.

I would refuse to play against most people online I don't know anyway, whether it's at a public lounge or being contacted through a friend code, but maybe that's just me. It's like a Yahoo chatboard and AIM. I'm usually not too friendly with people who contact me on AIM out of the blue with something other than a question they need help with on the boards.

FELIPE NO

Old May 12, 2006, 05:38 AM #304 of 1323
Nope. We know nothing on how Wii's online system will work aside that friend codes will be involved. As I've stated Nintendo Wifi Connection and software that connects to it is constantly evolving as new software is released. We do not yet know how the friend code system will fall into the overall equation. The DS games have tested the waters and I'm sure Nintendo knows what we like and dislike about about how that works. I'm hopeful that the complaints will be addressed.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:40 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:40 AM #305 of 1323
It's just you.

Haha, no, I kid.

More seriously, though, there have been countless numbers of polls all across the internet concerning the dissatisfaction regarding the DS wifi setup, and almost all of them come to one consensus: The Online is good so far, but it can be better. When asked if they still wanted friend codes, most people said no. Granted, people who are on the internet aren't exactly the people that Nintendo is targeting, since that would represent the more "hardcore" gamers and not grandma and grandpa, but in response I'm going to quote Bozon again:

Originally Posted by Mark Bozon
"-Community. No more friend codes. No more restrictions. We need true community. We can see Nintendo wants to make it a comfortable experience for new gamers, but they have to remember there are those that NEED strong community as much as others need a less intimidating atmosphere."
And in reality, you know what? I can be ok with Friend codes. Just make the Friend Code system more FRIENDLY!!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old May 12, 2006, 05:45 AM #306 of 1323
Another thing. Sakurai wants this game to be fun, full of options, and perfect. He isn't going to let SSBB have a sloppy online mode. If he feels the friend code system is sloppy then you can bet Nintendo will accomidate him. Nintendo has so much riding on this game. They can't afford not to.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:56 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 02:56 AM #307 of 1323
I have full confidence that the Wii's online support will be at least marginally better than the DS's. I'm not sure how.

I like the idea of friend codes, personally. I have no interest whatsoever in playing against people I don't know online. I only want to play with my friends.

If you really want a "lobby", you can easily create message boards and have people join them. I'm sure smashboards will pick up the slack if there isn't a lobby feature.

Speaking as a software designer, we have something called the "80% rule". It basically states that you should design to 80% of the people you're trying to target. I think pro-level smash players clearly fall into the other 20%. Now I'm not saying you should ignore the other 20%, but you need to ask yourself, "Will 80% of my users really be taking advantage of this feature?" It's a hard question to answer, but it really helps to keep things in perspective.

We really at this point, need to just wait and see what the Wii's online support is like. I have high hopes; their Connect24 thing sounds awesome. I always thought having to "connect to XBOX Live" was a bit 1980s-esque, especially in the era of always-on broadband. What is this, some kind of BBS?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by ramoth; May 12, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:10 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:10 AM #308 of 1323
Well, one thing is that the ease of an online interface isn't just applicable to Pro players, it applies to everyone, and in particular, the exact type of people that Nintendo is trying to target. When someone who knows very little about computers wants to play against some friends, do you think they'll get on their favorite forum and post their friend code there? Probably not. Likely, they want to be able to, say, have something recognizable (like a gamertag) that they can send a friend request to and then set up a game in the lobby. It has to be that simple, or else casual players won't want to play their favorite game online, because I know I watch my parents struggle when they want to do anything online, because the internet can get real complex to someone who isn't very well acquainted with it. And that has to deal with Community, like I mentioned earlier.

But your right, Grun-1, what you said added a lot of perspective as far as development issues. I'm giving a shout out to you firstly, because you deserve it, and secondly, because nobody on these boards ever seems to acknowledge what other people have said, unless they have direct conflict with something they said, making conversations almost always argumentative by nature. And I'm not just referencing this conversation.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:59 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 04:59 AM #309 of 1323
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
There's a good idea, how about someone translates some popular character names in katakana, so we could submit it?
Bomberman ボンバーマン
Daisy デイジ
Megaman ロックマン
Meowth ニャース
Phoenix Wright 成歩堂 龍一
Raichu ライチュウ
Shigeru Miyamoto 宮本茂
Toad キノピオ
Toadette キノピコ
Viewtiful Joe ビューティフル ジョー
Waluigi ワルイージ

Sorry fanboys, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of Cloud making the lineup (although I would love to beat the shit out of him)

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:09 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 08:09 AM #310 of 1323
Hey, what about Little Mac? He's a cornerstone of NES history, I think he deserves a little recognition. He punched out Mike Tyson dammit, that has to count for something.

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:26 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 07:26 AM #311 of 1323
I'm... a little less excited about this now.

One of the main reasons that SSBM never got much playtime on my cube was because I could never get somebody good to play with. That limited me to basically level 9 opponents, and those got boring quick. =\

With online, I want to be able to go into a match, join up, and be able to just get my ass kicked. The problem is that with friends codes, I won't be able to do it, because guess what? I HAVE NO FRIENDS WHO PLAY NINTENDO GAMES. Sure, I can trade codes online, but that's such a tedious process that it's almost not worth it. =\

FELIPE NO
Old May 12, 2006, 09:43 AM #312 of 1323
Well, you'll still be able to play with random people. So even if you don't know them just like Mario Kart DS you'll at least always have someone to play. That's speculation by the way but if Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime Hunters did it I wouldn't be surprised if SSBB did too. I just hope it's much more extensive.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 11:40 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 10:40 AM #313 of 1323
Whatever system they have in place for MKart and Hunters on DS, is more than most likely the same system they will have setup for Wii. I'm sure that they will have the whole thing slightly tweaked from the DS, but it should be very similar.

Old May 12, 2006, 11:47 AM #314 of 1323
Well it won't be out until sometime in 2007, hopefully early 2007, so I hope the online system will have evolved to an acceptable level by then.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

PsychoJosh
Banned

Member 1511

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 03:17 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 02:17 PM #315 of 1323
Why Waluigi? He wasn't even made by the same guy who made Wario. He's just a useless filler character and I'd hate to see him in this game, especially in lieu of a character that would be so much better. He hasn't even been in ANY of Wario's games... he's a joke.

Nukkus
Banned

Member 1724

Level 10.17

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:16 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 07:16 PM #316 of 1323
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Seriuosly though, i'm Mega-primed for this one. and props to Uematsu for the main theme :biggrin:

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:28 PM #317 of 1323
Quote:
I read through the ENTIRE thread just to make sure I wouldn't be repeating anything people have said.
Sorry didn't bother to do that with 11 pages It's a less touched upon speculation though:

If SSB had Master Hand
and SSBM had Master Hand X2 in mission mode
would it be fun and possible to have Master Hand X3 somehow?
Fighting a Master Hand team would be totally murderous! Unless they decided that Master Hand was old, and decided to put something crazier in like Master Foot, or Master Head. Why not? Snake was totally left field to me, and so different appendages could be feasible since there's no permission needed there! (Unless for Master Head they would use Andross' face thingie from Starfox :S)

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 05:43 PM #318 of 1323
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Sorry didn't bother to do that with 11 pages It's a less touched upon speculation though:

If SSB had Master Hand
and SSBM had Master Hand X2 in mission mode
would it be fun and possible to have Master Hand X3 somehow?
Fighting a Master Hand team would be totally murderous! Unless they decided that Master Hand was old, and decided to put something crazier in like Master Foot, or Master Head. Why not? Snake was totally left field to me, and so different appendages could be feasible since there's no permission needed there! (Unless for Master Head they would use Andross' face thingie from Starfox :S)
That reminds me of an idea I've always had for this game - Boss characters. Imagine fighting a giant Kraid? Or Andross? Or Ganon? METAL GEAR??

Possibilities are endless.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: May 13, 2006, 02:05 AM #319 of 1323
A boss fight against a Metal Gear (I'd personally love Rex) would be hilarious, but that's probably a tad too much to ask.

Maybe King Dodongo or one of the other bigger Ocarina of Time bosses.

FELIPE NO

Xardion
CAT JUMP

Member 67

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:06 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:06 PM #320 of 1323
They'll probably stick with the hands if they want to keep what little continuity there is in the game.

[ Patrick James "PJ" Beckett ]
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:18 PM #321 of 1323
Originally Posted by CROW-3
They'll probably stick with the hands if they want to keep what little continuity there is in the game.
well theres a story mode now. Master hand wont cut it for story mode, besides they already replaced Master Hand with Giga Bowser in adventure mode

Xardion
CAT JUMP

Member 67

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:21 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:21 PM #322 of 1323
But Master Hand was still in it, with the addition of Crazy Hand. Who knows what they'll call the next one, if there is a next one.

Gigabowser was more of a "Hey you're good gtfo" kind of thing to be honest.

[ Patrick James "PJ" Beckett ]
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:34 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 03:34 PM #323 of 1323
true, but considering its story mode, then all the stages will have something to do with the characters game, they probally wont make it some generic boss for everyone. They will still have Master Hand in classic mode

Prinnydood
Good Chocobo

Member 208

Level 15.65

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 07:07 PM #324 of 1323
I'm damn excited for that online portion..Still play Melee to this day and its one of my favorite games of this generation..This just upped my chances of gettin a Wii quite a bit

Vulpes_Callidus
Honor of Blight

Member 946

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 07:16 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:16 PM #325 of 1323
I personally would like to do away with master hand altogether. As Sakurai said, it should be fun, and he wants to add in fun, weird things in it, but in reality, I think the presence of Master hand just hinders the presentation of Smash Brothers.

But I don't know, maybe people like master hand. I personally would like the series to have at least a more serious presentation. I mean, the more crazy weird things you put in it, the more you alienate less core people. It's like having one big inside joke. I mean, I would love to see the Smash franchise become a more recognized name among the more casual players.

Hopefully they can find a balance to satisfy both new and returning players. In the end, what's most important is that it's fun, after all.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Smash Bros. Brawl