Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Request regarding journal props:

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:25 PM #1 of 22
Request regarding journal props:

Is there any way we can have an OFF and ON switch for accepting props from people? Is that a possibility? Maybe it already exists, and I just don't know how to do it.

Is this impossible?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:33 PM #2 of 22
I agree with this as well. Or if that can't be done, can we have an invisibility switch so nobody can see them?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 12:55 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 10:55 AM #3 of 22
Probably not. bobo hasn't even got around to installing the rating hack yet.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:04 PM #4 of 22
So it's completely out of the question?

Thats kind of annoying. O well. I guess I should close this now? Maybe Blah can think up something? Is Bobo REQUIRED for this, considering its his code?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 01:27 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:27 AM #5 of 22
Blah could probably do it since he is cool like that. Of course I'm waiting on him too, though his reasoning for not doing it this second is because of testing and not drinking.

Most amazing jew boots
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:17 PM #6 of 22
I kinda like the last commented, if only because it tells me where the drama's at. If theres a conversation going on, you know.

And if you're thinking I only want it so I can see my name repeatedly, I would be happy to have my name yanked off "Last Commented" lists too.

But apparently, we can't control these things without Bobo.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:23 PM #7 of 22
Originally Posted by Devo
How come something is being done about props and not Last Commented, Last commented is worse. I hate that "I want to know where the action is" excuse. Why not work it so it shows the last commented journal(s) and if there is several within one journal have it like this:

Last Commented Journals

Devo's Journal (4)
Sass's Journal (3)
Lady Miyomi's Journal (2)

Then if one goes up they auto hit top of the list since they're most recent. So I went and posted in Miyomi's...

Last Commented Journals
Lady Miyomi's Journal (3)
Devo's Journal (4)
Sass's Journal (3)

A reply can be considered "latest" for up to 5 minutes so assuming there are no new posts it will look like this after 5 minutes.

Last Commented Journals
Lady Miyomi's Journal (2)
Devo's Journal (3)
Sass's Journal (2)

Unless this is just too complicated although I still think it's better than

Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Devo's Journal
Quoting to say that I think this is far more important and better to implement than the props shit.

I don't even look at the props section.

How ya doing, buddy?
Admiral Amara

Member 189

Level 25.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 02:39 PM #8 of 22
Devo's idea is a very, very good idea, and I support it fully. I'd love to see something like this implemented, I think it'd be a much more efficient method of keeping track of what's going on. There are days when all I see is "SASSAFRASS" down the board for ten minutes at a time, and only the comment times change. That's pretty annoying. (no offense to you, Sass)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:19 PM #9 of 22
Originally Posted by Admiral Amara
Devo's idea is a very, very good idea, and I support it fully. I'd love to see something like this implemented, I think it'd be a much more efficient method of keeping track of what's going on. There are days when all I see is "SASSAFRASS" down the board for ten minutes at a time, and only the comment times change. That's pretty annoying. (no offense to you, Sass)
Hey man. I would change it if I could. =/

Could we just maybe get a full list of maybe 20 journals that are completely random, but updated within the past 20 hours?

Or maybe, we could replace all the crap with a pretty picture! Serious, here.

I feel bad now. ;_;

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 03:45 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:45 PM #10 of 22
I'd personally do away with the recently commented list entirely, precisely because it focuses all attention on one or two single journals. Journals aren't supposed to be about drama anyway, this mindset is terrifying.

If only Blah could implement that second page of journal stats and lists, we could move the recently commented there and replace it with a list of random journals. Variety and exposure people, not concentrated ignorance ;_;

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:53 PM #11 of 22
Devo's idea seems fairly obvious yet I hadn't thought of it.

Also, why is the props system so bad that you want to disable it? Who cares if you get props or not? I don't see any reason to disable people noting that they enjoyed your journal entry.

I'm not a fan of the props system, it kind of encourages users to stop making journal entries and to start writing shit just to please other members, so if it were removed, I would be happy.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:56 PM #12 of 22
Because it infuriates people unnecessarily. Remove the cause of rage and the rage subsides.

I agree with Devo's suggestion. Anything to put the current system out of its misery.

How ya doing, buddy?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 06:29 PM #13 of 22
Originally Posted by Eleo
Devo's idea seems fairly obvious yet I hadn't thought of it.

Also, why is the props system so bad that you want to disable it? Who cares if you get props or not? I don't see any reason to disable people noting that they enjoyed your journal entry.
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO TURN MINE OFF, THANKS.

I would like to have that option. Because I think the whole prop system is a load of crap, and I would rather not have to deal with it.

I would be happy, however, with the ability to REMOVE props. Like, not be able to give myself props, but to be able to remove props. You know?

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the props system, it kind of encourages users to stop making journal entries and to start writing shit just to please other members, so if it were removed, I would be happy.
Please other members? What are you talking about.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 07:08 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 06:08 PM #14 of 22
Originally Posted by me
The recent comments thing is good. Warks/props are bad. Maybe for the second set of ten, you could put the least viewed journal entries created over the past two or three days. That would be good right.
This is from some thread where bobo asked for suggestions on how the journal page should look. Obviously he forgot he even created the thread.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 05:58 PM #15 of 22
There is one main reason that I like Devo's suggestion: it puts more people's journals on the front page. Short of having people on your buddy list or going into a person's journal directly, there are only 2 ways to know if a journal has any recent action: 10 most recent entries and 10 most recent comments. Devo's suggestion puts 10 different journals under comments, which I support.

What the journal system is sorely lacking is a way to see all the journal entries in the last 24 hours. You should be able to view this list, sorted by name or by reverse date. I have a feeling there are interesting journal entries that get lost in the heavy times just because 10 other entries come along and drop them off the front page. If there aren't many people who know about this journal, it is impossible to get a recent comment up there for other people to know about it.

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 08:02 PM #16 of 22
The only way to "fix" the prop system is to strangle it into unabusability.

1 prop per user per journal per week seems good.

Anytime you let children play with a great quantity of small objects, they will be compelled to stack them into a great pile and congratulate themselves on this achievement. All that can be done is to reduce the number of objects.

The problem with Last Commented is that it causes a cumulative reaction. It seems as though there must be some value in knowing that an interesting entry is attracting disproportionate attention, but "interesting" more often than not just means Team Banned putting their thumbs into their noses.

Perhaps a system can be devised wherein those journals which belong to your Buddies can have a small LOL INTERNET graphic which helpfully appears next to their respective links whenever said journal is particularly active. This is for the best, as most of the drama whores are largely pals with each other anyway.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 09:23 PM #17 of 22
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
What the journal system is sorely lacking is a way to see all the journal entries in the last 24 hours. You should be able to view this list, sorted by name or by reverse date.
I agree with this notion so hard that I am physically having trouble reading what I am reading!

Is there a way to implement this? It seems terribly fair.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:32 PM #18 of 22
Well, I support the prop feature inasmuch as it's generally a good compass toward interesting entries I might otherwise not think to read.

However, I support a balanced prop feature, not the current incarnation which allows ancient entries to be propped exclusively for the purpose of whoring out someone's entire Journal, presumably for nothing more than an elevated viewcount.

If it were arranged so that props couldn't be given to entries more than, say, 5 days older than the entry's timestamp, that'd greatly weaken the opportunity for flagrant abuses.

Also, Devo's idea for the "Last Commented" system makes sense. I approve.

How ya doing, buddy?
bobo
Chocobo Ex-Owner

Member 1

Level 14.75

Feb 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:45 PM #19 of 22
Hey... remember this? :middlefinger:

EDIT:

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Request regarding journal props: