Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Charging for web content

Superhero Chuck
Syklis Green

Member 2735

Level 7.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:17 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2011, 06:17 PM #1 of 4
Charging for web content

Not sure where this goes, so I'm putting it here.

A realtor I know has asked me to write some content for her website--information about the area where we live to attract young couples etc. to live here. I took the job on, but I've never done anything like this before. I've found a little bit of information on how to actually write content for the web, but I can't seem to find any information on how to charge for it.

Obviously, I don't want to charge her professional rates--I'm a college student, not a professional. However, I don't want to lowball myself. So I have two questions: one, how is pricing on web content figured? Hourly? By the paragraph? By the word? Two, how much does the average content writer charge, and what would be a good adjustment to that fee for my purposes?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:31 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2011, 07:31 AM #2 of 4
With the rise of content farms such as Demand Media, the "average" rate is quite a lowball figure.

In the end, you will just have to negotiate it between the two of you. Writing articles is a dime a dozen activity, sad to say, made even easier with services such as Amazon's Mechanical Turk. I've seen people offering a dollar (even pennies!) to do stuff in there.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:13 PM #3 of 4
It's really difficult to say, Chuck. Is she a friend? If so, give her the lowball friend rate. If she's a professional acquaintance or something, take the figure you think is appropriate, and add 50% to it; just based on what you're saying I bet you're lowballing yourself hardcore.

I can't help you with how much you should charge by (time spent versus content volume). Since it's the web, the amount of space needed to be filled isn't as rigorous, so I doubt bulk is as important here as it would be in print. Also (as you've read, no doubt) web content tends to require conciseness and brevity over length, as people always skim for the information important to them. I would charge by the hour unless all of my peers in writing think that's a terrible idea.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2011, 05:31 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2011, 11:31 AM #4 of 4
I'd suggest that you decide how much you want to earn per hour, work out how long it's going to take you then charge overall based on that. That's certainly what I do when I do odd jobs for people. If it's a mate I charge £10 an hour for bookkeeping or a flat £50 for a set of accounts and tax return. People who are friends of friends I charge a bit more to, depending on how wealthy they are but normally between £15-£20 an hour since that's slightly less than they'd pay on the open market.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Charging for web content