Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Old school games, new school systems.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:07 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 05:07 PM #1 of 9
Old school games, new school systems.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155592.html

Inspired by the above article, this thread's whole purpose is to discuss the advent of retro-gaming. Midway's up to their third collection, Namco's got two out, Capcom currently has two and announced a third (and I believe a fourth) collection, Atari's got one, Tecmo and even Taito have one each and now Sega's joined in the mix, with games outside of their Sonic collection.

Speaking of that, games with long histories have also gotten collection releases, just to name a few: Street Fighter, Sonic, and Megaman. Mario's seen one or two collections, if you count the All-Stars game, but most of his re-releases have been singular. Same applies to the Legend of Zelda and Metroid.

If there are any I've missed, by all means post them. Has anyone bought any of these collections to satisfy their old school nostalgic needs? I've picked up the Capcom Classics Collection for the PS2, but that's been the extent of my venture into retro-gaming thus far, though I'll likely pick up the same collection for the PSP, since it includes the original Strider.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:15 PM #2 of 9
I bought some collections. I didn't cop' that capcom collection though. Didn't think it was that much interesting. Though I still play Sonic Gems Collection (Jap version ,Mind you) only becaue it has a shitload of nostalgic games such as the Streets of Rage games and Vectorman 2 (eheheh).

If they somewhat unleash yet another Sonic (Emerald? ) Collection, They HAVE to add the 3 Shinobi games . There's just no other reason. Shinobi did kick ass back in those days..

As far as Midway goes. I guess I'd get the game cause of Mortal Kombat since its the "perfect" arcade edition. Nothing good really came out of Midway but the MK games. all i know.

I guess the collection is good to have for those who dont own the classic consoles and end up having another chance to get a crack at it once more on the TV screen--not the computer and emulation crap >=p.

Most amazing jew boots
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 12:35 AM #3 of 9
Taito has two Legends collections out, I own the second one because ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS. Also because it had Legend of Kage and Darius Gaiden <3

I'm quite a retro nut and I love how developers are releasing collections of classics, but many of them feel wasted opportunities, especially with arcade game collections. They seem to pick three great titles and then throw in 8-12 completely rotten ones, instead of bothering to pick the best of the bunch for a proper good collection. And it's not like you couldn't fit more of the games on a god damn DVD.

The exception to this would be something like Sonic Mega Collection which, while sporting quite a few completely pointless "bonus" games, at least has more great games than bad ones. Of course, I bought the first release for Cube only for Sega to come out with the + version later for Xbox and PS2.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:59 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2006, 05:59 PM #4 of 9
I'm definitely buying that Sega collection for the PSP. If it's got even half that list in the article I linked up top, it's a must have. Phantasy Star? Both Vectorman games? I've seen two lists, one from Joystiq, and the others from a forum-goer at Gamespot.

Joystiq: http://psp.joystiq.com/2006/06/25/re...this-november/

Quote:

As for this collection, it pretty much will have the essentials. Not all of the 28 games included -- there will also be an additional three to unlock -- have been officially announced, but here are a few that were on the version I saw:

* Shinobi II
* Sonic the Hedgehog
* Golden Axe I, II, and III
* Virtua Fighter 2
* Altered Beast
* Ecco the Dolphin
* Phantasy Star
And from the poster: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155592...age=0#comments
Quote:

Alex Kidd - The Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Eternal Champions
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Phantasy Star 2
Phantasy Star 3
Phantasy Star 4
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2
Super Thunderblade
Sword of Vermillion
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

With Zaxxon, Tac/Scan and Zector unlockable in the PS2 version.
Double Post:
Originally Posted by Qwarky
Taito has two Legends collections out, I own the second one because ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS. Also because it had Legend of Kage and Darius Gaiden <3
Taito has two out? As far as I know, the US only has one. :/ Man, I'd like to play Legend of Kage again, too.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Last edited by SouthJag; Aug 10, 2006 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:54 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 01:54 AM #5 of 9
Originally Posted by SouthJag
Taito has two out? As far as I know, the US only has one. :/ Man, I'd like to play Legend of Kage again, too.
Yeah, apparently they haven't released the second one in the US for whatever reason.

http://www.taitolegends2.com/

I kinda want the first one cause of New Zealand Story, but none of the other games in the collection interest me at all, so €30 for just NZS is kinda steep. If only they'd have put it in the second, the collection would be perfect.

The website's game listing is a tad misleading since Rayforce is only in the Xbox version, while the PS2 version got Ray Storm.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 10, 2006, 09:18 PM Local time: Aug 11, 2006, 12:18 PM #6 of 9
Taito Legends 2 is ace. <3 I was so delighted in the pants to see that it had Cameltry on it. It's probably still my most played game on the collection! The original Taito Legends wins for New Zealand Story, Rastan and Ninja Kids (ENGRISH GO), but a few of the really good games are very badly emulated. I dunno if they fixed that up for the American release, but the likes of Bubble Bobble, Operation Wolf and Rainbow Islands are terrible. Constant slowdown, muffled, off-sounding audio and sprite flickering. ;__;

I'm a big fan of these retro collections, Activision Anthology on PS2 is still my absolute favorite. There's like over fifty 2600 games, with an amazing menu screen set up to look like a room from the 80's, complete with a stereo that blasts out some fantastic tunes from that era (SAFETY DANCE). You choose your games by picking up the actual cartridges (well, you know, not... the actual.. ssh), which can be rotated around for no reason. They've also chucked in TV ads/spots for the games, as well as a great video from '82 where Activision are giving themselves pats on the back and announcing a new multi-million production plant, little did they know the video game crash was coming!

Some lost the plot with these collections though, hello Atari Anthology, why is your menu screen so difficult to navigate? Why do I have to wait up to thirty seconds for ATARI 2600 games to load? And Intellivision Lives! has NO SOUL. It's also very difficult to play, but that's mainly because of the systems obscure controller, there's no way for a PS2 controller to emulate that terror correctly.

And where's Streets of Rage in this Genesis Collection? Half those games have already been avaliable in Sonic Mega/Gems Collection. But it's nice to see they haven't totally forgotten about Alex Kidd, even if Enchanted Castle is the worst in the series.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:09 AM #7 of 9
And now for an update.

From my first post, I mentioned that the whole reason I started this thread was due to the announcement of the Sega Genesis collection for PS2 and PSP. Sega's finally come out of the closet and spoken up about the titles that will be available -- so here's the official list.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Altered Beast
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Kid Chameleon
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
Ristar
Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

That's awesome. Both Vectorman games, Phantasy Star, Altered Beast, Golden Axe...awesome.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:16 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 03:16 PM #8 of 9
Haha, oh dear, Virtua Fighter 2 on Mega Drive. Sega went from a mind blowing port of Virtua Racing to the machine in full, fairly smooth 3D to that dodgy, slow 2D thing of a fighting game. This might be worth buying just to relive the hilarious memories of renting that, thinking it'd be like the Saturn version.~

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:08 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:08 AM #9 of 9
Good news about Vectorman, Altered Beast and Phantasy Star, but why no Streets of Rage 2 love? ;_;

At least Ecco the Dolphin is on it. I never had a chance to play it when I had my Genesis, so I can see just how hard it really is. And I can't wait to play Phantasy Star 2 again.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Old school games, new school systems.