Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

So My ISP Just Called Me...

Ender
Carob Nut

Member 10061

Level 4.22

Jul 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:29 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 02:29 PM #1 of 12
So My ISP Just Called Me...

So I just got a call from my ISP saying I was sharing Diablo on bittorrent, and asked me nicely to stop. Is there any way that I can disguise what I'm downloading/sharing so that I can still use bittorrent without having to worry about getting called again, or in trouble?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 05:35 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 11:35 PM #2 of 12
The way it works is this. Your IP is connected to the swarm that is sharing that file. This is verifiable, and anyone can find that out by connecting to the same torrent. You can't deny what you're sharing, and you can't mask your IP in any way. If you are hiding your IP, then the people you are sharing with won't be able to connect to you.

Risk is a part of the game, if you want to get things for free via Bittorrent.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:06 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 05:06 PM #3 of 12
Guess you'll have to hope you can find a good DC hub or something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:13 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 04:13 PM #4 of 12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what BT Protocol Encryption is for?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:34 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 08:34 AM #5 of 12
No. It can't encrypt your IP address.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:36 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2007, 06:36 PM #6 of 12
So if they go into the swarm, and then run a scan for IP's that belong to them... there's no way to disguise it to just the swarm?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:38 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 08:38 AM #7 of 12
It stands to reason that if they join the swarm, and if you disguise it to just the swarm, you'll still be detected

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Radical
With a Twist of Lemon

Member 709

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:25 PM #8 of 12
Couldn't you just use a proxy?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:13 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 11:13 PM #9 of 12
Truth be told, BitTorrent is great for distribution, but downright shitty for privacy. Even with encryption, you have the wide-open hole of your adversary, so to speak, connecting to the swarm and seeing your IP.

This, of course, is true for virtually all file-sharing tools with the exception of Freenet and anything done over Tor or i2p.

If you want privacy, you're going to have to sacrifice performance. Sad but true, and that may change in the future if onion routing and crypto are integrated into the core of the next generation of P2P protocols and technologies, but for the time being it's largely a this-or-that deal.

I second the suggestion for finding a private DC hub. A private torrent tracker would help too. Private and closed are good in this case, but I'd seek out DC for its current under-the-radar advantage--most of the copyright cartel gestapo are focused on BitTorrent, LimeWire, and the apparently-now-ceremonial beating of the dead horse that is Kazaa.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:17 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2007, 11:17 PM #10 of 12
Truth be told, BitTorrent is great for distribution, but downright shitty for privacy. Even with encryption, you have the wide-open hole of your adversary, so to speak, connecting to the swarm and seeing your IP.

This, of course, is true for virtually all file-sharing tools with the exception of Freenet and anything done over Tor or i2p.

If you want privacy, you're going to have to sacrifice performance. Sad but true, and that may change in the future if onion routing and crypto are integrated into the core of the next generation of P2P protocols and technologies, but for the time being it's largely a this-or-that deal.

I second the suggestion for finding a private DC hub. A private torrent tracker would help too. Private and closed are good in this case, but I'd seek out DC for its current under-the-radar advantage--most of the copyright cartel gestapo are focused on BitTorrent, LimeWire, and the apparently-now-ceremonial beating of the dead horse that is Kazaa.
I'm not even sure what a DC Hub is. Could you give a quick overview, and maybe a list of recommended private torrent trackers? Thanks a lot for the knowledge (you seem to really know your shit).

Most amazing jew boots
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:20 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2007, 02:20 PM #11 of 12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this what BT Protocol Encryption is for?
That just disguises what you're doing from your network administrators. People who are connected to the torrent can still see your IP fine.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:41 AM Local time: Feb 28, 2007, 11:41 PM #12 of 12
Sorry for the lateness in getting back to you on this one.

Direct Connect is a kind of fusion of FTP and IRC. You connect to a hub, which maintains a list of connections from other users. Via the hub, you select a user whose shared directories you wish to browse, and you will be directly connected to that user via a connection established by the hub. Alternatively, you can search for a specific file just like any other P2P and the hub will return a list of occurrences of the string for which you searched.

The hub also has an IRC-like chat channel and sometimes some other goodies like anagram games, at which I personally am awesome.

As for private torrent trackers, Gamingforce has a great one at http://www.gftracker.org

There was at one time a GFF DC hub, but I don't know if it still exists. The hub I frequent the most is vgmcentral.no-ip.com.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > So My ISP Just Called Me...