Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

FORTRAN

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:37 PM #1 of 8
FORTRAN

So I keep on having professor recommend that I should learn fortran at some point. I've got a pretty decent background in Visual Basic, C++, and Java, so could anyone give me a guess as to how hard it would be to teach myself? I'd mostly want it for plotting funky-ass functions and modelling systems. I've used Maple to this point, but it was a hassle and a half for my last assignment, so I'm curious to see if this might be an alternative I could persue.

Edit: And please don't tell me just to use another language. For some reason Fortran is still wildly popular in the scientific community, so I'd also like the ability to understand code from other sources without a whole lot of trouble.

How ya doing, buddy?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:35 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 03:35 PM #2 of 8
I asked my dad this question, and his first response was "Pfft, do they even USE FORTRAN anymore?"

Then, when I prodded him, he basically said that it won't be too hard to learn. Just be aware that the languages you know are, in his words, more web oriented, whereas FORTRAN focuses more on calculations. So go for it, but be aware that your experience in the prior languages won't necessarily translate well into FORTRAN.

How ya doing, buddy?
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 05:44 PM #3 of 8
I used plenty of Fortran back in college, and it's not too difficult. Granted, FORTRAN 90 has a lot of improvement over FORTRAN 77. Just remember that it's a much more primitive language, that is primarily used for math and engineering. You won't find much memory management, or pointers, or any object oriented concepts. It's all strictly procedural programming. In practice, you typically use the Implicit statement to declare all variables beginning with the letters i through n, as integers, and the rest as real or double.

Once I learned C++, I couldn't stand Fortran, so good luck.

( For modeling dynamic systems, I'd recommend using Matlab. )

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 06:32 PM #4 of 8
As far as practicality goes, FORTRAN is still in the top 10 for important languages still in use. It would certainly be a useful language for you to learn, and, from what I hear, it's not too challenging and it is fairly dry.

Your Java and VB experiences won't help you learn FORTRAN, but if you learned C++ the right way, you shouldn't have too much of a problem teaching yourself.

Most amazing jew boots
Moon
River Chocobo

Member 34

Level 23.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 09:17 PM #5 of 8
FORTRAN is a good language to learn because it teaches good programming habits. I'm not really sure if it is used much today as it is somewhat out-dated. Like BlueMikey said, if you learned C++ the right way (i.e know why lines of code do what they do), you shouldn't have a problem teaching yourself it.

Most amazing jew boots
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:33 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 08:33 PM #6 of 8
Before C++ (and, ultimately, Java) FORTRAN was the teaching language. The first AP tests in computer science were in FORTRAN. It's not used much today in new programs outside of the academic world or places that are using other antiquated systems, but it is still interesting nonetheless.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:49 PM #7 of 8
Actually, FORTRAN isn't always used on "antiquated systems". It's quite the opposite in a number of cases, it's one of the language of choice for stuff designed to run on supercomputers. The main reason for this, and likely one of the reason it is kept in academia, is that the structure used by FORTRAN allows a bit more optimization at compile time than, say, C does. For most applications you don't really care enough about the performance hit, so it's not worth it to use a less flexible language just to remove 10 instructions in a loop. However, spending an additional week on your program because of FORTRAN isn't that bad if you're going to remove a month worth of computing time on a cluster of giant machines.

FELIPE NO
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:43 AM #8 of 8
It's not too hard. We had to learn it in a few days (although I did have a Math class that taught me it for a few weeks so that made it easier). A lot of the complex stuff is taken out. If anything, it will show you are versatile...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > FORTRAN