Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Baten Kaitos II

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:03 PM #1 of 37
Baten Kaitos II

http://cube.ign.com/objects/772/772298.html

Comes out this June, according to Nintendo. I really liked the first one.. except the VA was kinda bland.. this one looks like it fixed some of the issues with the first installment. Lets hope June is the real release date.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:30 PM #2 of 37
I'm probably one of the few people who really liked the original too... so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't nerf down the difficulty or anything either, since one of the things I liked most were how at least a few of the boss fights were actually fucking hard.

It would really help if they would add a pause button during battle, though, since that is something the first game sorely lacked. VA can be as shitty as it wants since I can just disable it like I did the first game. I like to read the text anyway so I often wind up doing that in games rather the VA is good or not.

How ya doing, buddy?
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:41 PM #3 of 37
I hear you, its not a big deal.. I can deal with crap VA too.

Im just glad Motoi is back on board, doing the OST

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:54 AM #4 of 37
I cannot deal with the trash that was Xelha again. The VAs better have learnt their lesson from that and fixed it up good!

I liked Baten Kaitos, but I never actually finished it, so I hope with 2 being a prequel, they won't force you to understand the full events of the first one.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:19 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 12:19 PM #5 of 37
I'm really looking forward to this game, have been ever since i saw it announced on IGN. Loved the first one, couldn't put it down once i'd bought it. I hope this will be the same for me. From what i have seen though it looks promising.

Most amazing jew boots

Cheers B4!
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:42 PM #6 of 37
I actually liked the first one too. The voice acting was pretty bad, but I'm a Resident Evil fan so I've suffered through much worse. Also you could just turn it off anyway. I absolutely loved the combat system, and agree with the fact that the bosses actually being hard was a good thing. Can't remember the last time I died in a RPG other than Baten Kaitos. I also liked the twist about halfway through.
Spoiler:
When Kalas betrays the party. Never saw that coming.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:33 PM #7 of 37
hope to see it at E3 in english form.. playable or not.

FELIPE NO
Prinnydood
Good Chocobo

Member 208

Level 15.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:07 PM #8 of 37
I liked the first one as well. The story was good enough and the twists were really unique. I kinda thought they tried to add too many twists thought and some parts of the story just got sorta....weak. Coulda used a few more improvements(didn't like the leveling up idea, and the VAs obviously) so hopefully this game improves upon those ideas. Lookin forward to it

How ya doing, buddy?
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:17 PM #9 of 37
I just hope, its not delayed. I mean it came out Feb 23 in japan.. thats only 5 months til June(the supposed release date). I hear there is more VA in this one, than the last BK too.

Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:32 PM #10 of 37
I liked it for it's originality, but the battle system was so frustrating that I reached a point where I could no longer find the patience for it and sold it off. I had so many game overs because I needed a healing card and they wouldn't come up, or I'd have healing or defense cards when I needed attack cards, or some mix of cards that was utterly useless. I don't mind a game being hard, and most of the time I like it when a game is hard. But it's frustrating when most of the challenge comes simply from really stupid limitations or mechanics.
If BK2 gives you more control over your cards I'll gladly give it a try, but if it turns out to be just like BK1 I doubt I'll bother with it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:07 AM #11 of 37
Originally Posted by Atomic Duck
I liked it for it's originality, but the battle system was so frustrating that I reached a point where I could no longer find the patience for it and sold it off. I had so many game overs because I needed a healing card and they wouldn't come up, or I'd have healing or defense cards when I needed attack cards, or some mix of cards that was utterly useless. I don't mind a game being hard, and most of the time I like it when a game is hard. But it's frustrating when most of the challenge comes simply from really stupid limitations or mechanics.
If BK2 gives you more control over your cards I'll gladly give it a try, but if it turns out to be just like BK1 I doubt I'll bother with it.
Yeah same here. It really sucks cause I absolutely fell in love with the game's visuals and music. But it's like everytime I'd sit there in glee marveling over the game's gorgeous presentation, a battle would pop up and the card system would piss all over any sense of joy the game was providing me. I stomached the craptacular voice acting for the visuals and music with no problem. But the battle system, I just couldn't bare.

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 02:31 AM #12 of 37
Try putting more healing cards in your deck? Sorry to say but it's pretty obvious that when 95% of your deck is battle cards and you only have a few healing "items" scattered within that you're barely going to have the chance to heal. You need to learn how to better manage your deck or something.

I'm not going to deny that the randomness was at times ridiculously annoying but a well managed deck can still help tremendously.

lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:14 PM #13 of 37
This is now "Baten Kaitos Origins" and will be released in US Sep. 25 2006...a bit later than was given earlier, but at least it's coming!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 06:10 PM #14 of 37
There are also now some very smooth looking pics in Play magazine that I managed to get a glimpse of. It certainly looks beautiful and hopefully the game will match up.

kelesis
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 7795

Level 1.60

Jun 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:26 PM #15 of 37
I read that they removed the defense phase from the battle system. If it's true, it's a damn shame. I really liked it since it kept the player engaged.

FELIPE NO
Tequila
I got a signature.

Member 244

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:27 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 02:27 PM #16 of 37
Well, the battles are way more fluid now and allow for some awesome techniques and two to three-character-relay-combos. Plus, there are quite a bunch of attacks now that hit all enemies or heal all allies. So cheer up! XD

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I'm a placeholder. I'm there to unnecessarily waste your bandwith and annoy the shit out of you. Too bad that I'm too small to make any difference.
Tir
Sneaky

Member 1176

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:41 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 04:41 PM #17 of 37
Originally Posted by lazuli
This is now "Baten Kaitos Origins" and will be released in US Sep. 25 2006...a bit later than was given earlier, but at least it's coming!
Hmm, this game may be the reason for me to order myself (finally) a Freeloader, since I live in Europe, and who knows when we'll have this game.

Contracts
Chocobo

Member 1639

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:21 PM #18 of 37
Baten Kaitos is one of the few modern day Japanese RPG titles I have enjoyed, Call me crazy but I really like this title over the newer releases of Final Fantasy. I still have not yet beat Baten Kaitos but I plan to in the near future, So the announcement of the second installment is pretty cool seeing as the game has a pretty good story line and all. I'm suprised though that they don't wait until the Wii comes out and release it then, That way it'd be more noticed on the Wii then the dieing life span of the Gamecube.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
lazuli
cerulean skies

Member 2667

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:40 PM #19 of 37
Originally Posted by Contracts
Baten Kaitos is one of the few modern day Japanese RPG titles I have enjoyed, Call me crazy but I really like this title over the newer releases of Final Fantasy. I still have not yet beat Baten Kaitos but I plan to in the near future, So the announcement of the second installment is pretty cool seeing as the game has a pretty good story line and all. I'm suprised though that they don't wait until the Wii comes out and release it then, That way it'd be more noticed on the Wii then the dieing life span of the Gamecube.
I agree, Baten Kaitos is one of the few RPG's I've truly enjoyed since circa 2002, when I got Suikoden III. Couldn't get into more recent series like DDS, Atelier Iris, or Shadow Hearts, and I quit Xenosaga after ep 1. I also like it a lot more than FFX. It's the first time I've encountered a card-based battle system, but it ended up getting me addicted to the game rather than putting me off. That and the game is incredibly beautiful and well-written. VA wasn't a problem, since I hate VA in general and turned it off I was trying to collect every magnus before the addiction wore off, but I'm sure I'll get back to it one day. It seems to be a cult hit though, as it seems to be disliked/despised in the mainstream. I feel lucky to get a 2nd game at all.

Unfortunately I must also express concern about the BK2 release date...late September, when the Wii will probably be here no more than 2 months later. Compare with FFIX, which was released similarly closely to the PS2's launch, and it got glossed over for the most part, and it was Final Fantasy. Seems they're just asking not to sell many copies. Which probably means we won't see another game (BK2 already bombed huge in Japan, like its predecessor before it). So if they end up coming out with a 3rd BK title on Wii (or even DS) I'll be quite surprised and happy.

orborborb
so divine

Member 7114

Level 2.12

May 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:49 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 12:49 PM #20 of 37
I enjoyed the first one because I turned off the voice acting before I began playing and never listened to it once. I prefer my RPGs without voice acting anyway. Also, I really liked Chrono Cross (more than Chrono Trigger honestly) and Baten Kaitos reminded me a lot of that game.

Tortalius
Space-ish not that we know what that means.

Member 1680

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 04:01 PM #21 of 37
I didn't really mind the VA too much. I mean Xella (I know a spelt that wrong) and Lyude's voices drove me insane (not in a good way), but otherwise I liked them. Giacomo's voice inparticular was good.

I was speaking idiomatically.

SIG POLICE SAY: Technically only two images allowed in a sig at once, unless special clemency is granted. So seek out special clemency if you try it again. kthxbye.
PS what you've got is still pretty annoying
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 02:19 PM #22 of 37
1month away... woot!

No preorder bonus annouced yet, i hope to get another wall scroll like the first game.

And its only suppose to be 39.99$ new this time.

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:49 PM #23 of 37
I just preordered it a few days ago. It'll probably be the last GC game I buy. Hopefully my GC can go out with a bang.

FELIPE NO
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 08:14 PM #24 of 37
IGN has some english vids posted.. the VA seems to be, its going to be like the frst game in quality.. no biggie, im still getting the game..

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Sep 6, 2006, 09:49 PM #25 of 37
It doesn't sound as bad as the first game. Granted what I heard wasn't up to MGs standards or anything. It was still decent, and much better than the ear poison that was in the first game.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Baten Kaitos II