Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Firewire Networking

Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:03 PM #1 of 5
Firewire Networking

I seem to be posting a flurry of help threads these days, I'm about to go back to school and need to sort out a lot of computer issues it seems.

Anyways, I have an issue. My father has two Sony Viao laptops, each with 4 pin firewire connections. He is also on a wireless network in our house. We need to be able to connect the two computers via firewire (speed issue) so that he can update files and keep both computers in sync. A USB system we've used has worked, although since USB doesn't have a system like IP over Firewire, its a pain to use software for it.

We have the cable, and we've managed to connect the two computers through using shared folders. This system works, however there are some real issues with it. In particular, to share a file between the two computers also opens it up to everyone else on the network, which is too dangerous of a sacrifice to make. I'm wondering if there is any way to password protect the network connection or prevent it from appearing on the other network besides stopping the share.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 09:22 AM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 03:22 PM #2 of 5
I guess a suitable compromise would be to just run an FTP server on one or both of the machines and transfer via that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Adamgian
Political Palace Denizen

Member 1443

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:18 PM #3 of 5
I was thinking of trying that, although it was something I was hoping to avoid. There's no way to do it in Windows eh?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:52 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 09:52 PM #4 of 5
Can't you set up network shares for individual user accounts? I think this is the usual procedure for Windows XP Pro, and it doesn't open up your files to the rest of the network.

Alternatively, if you're using folder shares, only create a folder with write access on the client computer and transfer it from the host. If you're done, just move the file on the client to a safe folder.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Sep 3, 2006, 02:55 PM Local time: Sep 3, 2006, 12:55 PM #5 of 5
Your Firewire adapter should be recognized as a networking device in the Control Panel. From there, you should just be able to share a folder on either laptop, and set permissions for it. Specify which users are allowed to view or access it, and deny everyone else.

(edit: damn you Rock! ^_^)

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Firewire Networking