Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Vagrant Story Remastered OST

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:08 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 01:08 PM #26 of 45
I think I just pinned down what bothers me about it. The original had a distinct echo and faded effect, making the final product sound almost like the music had been put through a concert hall sound filter. This new one, while it does make the samples more sharp & distinct, and turns up the treble quite a bit, seems to have lost some of the overall presentation of the original. It seems less...theatric as a result.

In that way, I feel it's like the Valkyrie Profile re-release. It looks like they'll be giving the same kind of treatment to all of their re-releases.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:15 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 11:15 AM #27 of 45
Quote:
The original had a distinct echo and faded effect, making the final product sound almost like the music had been put through a concert hall sound filter.
Yes. In the original, many of the songs sounded like they really could have been played by an orchestra, especially tracks like Wyvern and Ifrit, but now, they just sound empty and lifeless, and it's much more obvious that the music is made up of sampled instruments.

Edit: I just loaded one of the songs (Wyvern) into Cool Edit and it has quite a few clipped sections. (Or sections that are close to clipping). That is bad mastering, folks! I guess they really tried to maximize the loudness of this one. The original Wyvern doesn't have any clipped sections. Some of them come very close, but the shape of the waveform is still preserved.

Edit 2: On further inspection, there isn't any actual clipping in this song, but the overall loudness is greater than the original, and quite a few sections push it right to the limit. (As far as you can possibly go without getting a flat peak.).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Jun 11, 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:32 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 10:32 AM #28 of 45
Oh wow, the difference in Wyvern is even more offensive than in Rosencrantz. Sure you have to turn it up a bit more to get the full effect, but it's definately a lot more atmospheric and conductive to the samples being used. If it were a live orchestral sound, I'd say tone it down, but given the nature of the medium I definately appreciate the large space it's presented in.

The next track, LeaMonde Town Center, has a ton of audible defects in the sound, and the bass isn't nearly as punchy when it comes in. The piano also benefits from the long reverb trails, giving it that otherworldly feel I loved about it.

(On a side note I find this all a bit ironic, since the most prevailant comment on my senior recital's recorded pieces was "you use too much reverb" when this is clearly a case of when a large 'verby sound aids the sound rather than hinders it)

How ya doing, buddy?
Raijin
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 210

Level 21.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:35 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 08:35 PM #29 of 45
Holy crap, this remastering is absolutely terrible!!!
Basically they ditched all the reverb and now all the synthesized instruments sound completely flat. Yikess and I was going to buy this... Damn!

EDIT: OMG at Wyvern! :lol: What's this??

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Raijin; Jun 11, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 11:42 AM #30 of 45
Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
The next track, LeaMonde Town Center, has a ton of audible defects in the sound, and the bass isn't nearly as punchy when it comes in. The piano also benefits from the long reverb trails, giving it that otherworldly feel I loved about it.
Haw! There is clipping in that one, I saw my peak indicator light up. I wouldn't be surprised if there are many more in other songs. It isn't as bad as some pop music I've seen, but still, it's bad form to have done it at all, in my opinion. (Edit: Oh no they didn't. Truth is completely manlged! And the best part of the song too. The rest of the song doesn't sound too good either. The ethereal quality is completely lost.)

The original has two clipped samples in the whole song. For the remastered version, the clipping indicator was lighting up like a christmas tree.

For those of you who haven't downloaded the new album yet, just listen to this "After and Before" clip. Terrible, ne?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Jun 11, 2006 at 03:40 PM.
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:23 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 02:23 PM #31 of 45
Originally Posted by Skexis
In that way, I feel it's like the Valkyrie Profile re-release. It looks like they'll be giving the same kind of treatment to all of their re-releases.
I wonder if that includes the VP Arranged Album that was just reissued?

FELIPE NO
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:59 PM #32 of 45
I'm surprised at how utterly *bad* the synth sounds in the remastered version. I'm not saying it sounded great in the original but the reverb did a good job of masking it.

Most amazing jew boots
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 08:12 PM #33 of 45
I can't say it sounds bad to my ears, but would defintely buy the original version over the remastered if it was available. That said, it isn't, so...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 02:46 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 01:46 AM #34 of 45
This whole situation stinks. I wish I could get back the 30 bucks I spent ordering the reprint. The worse part is that I don't have the original to fall back on. I was never able to acquire a copy before it went out of print. I've tried a few times to get it secondhand and have failed. At this point I'll give anything for one. The Wyvern link isn't working for me, but if it's as butchered as everyone says, then maybe I'll have to take a hammer to my SQEX copy when it gets here... Urgh. I hate anticipating the arrival of something bad.

~MV
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:30 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 AM #35 of 45
I'm just dissapointed
This does the Original no justice

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Argentis; Jun 12, 2006 at 09:15 AM.
Tappy
Oh, Batsy!

Member 542

Level 15.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 06:01 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 12:01 PM #36 of 45
Yup...another disappointed guy here!
Like I said earlier, I bought the reprint and I've just compared it to the original Digicube print and the sound sounds much more "muffled" to me then the "clear quality" Digicube version.

Thank god...I at least have the Digicube one in lossless quality!
(in case I'll never be able to find it for a reasonable price)

How ya doing, buddy?
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 09:11 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 03:11 PM #37 of 45
I have just listened through the mp3s of my original digicube version.
Vagrant Story was the first VGM CD I bought - and this reprint is, well not aweful, but it lacks the flair if the original. I was okay with Valkyrie Profile's reprint, and I could tell there was a slight difference in the sound, and it was okay. I just hope that other reprints aren't the same

I wonder what the final fantasy tactics reprint is like?

Btw, thanks lassic for uploading it

Last edited by Argentis; Jun 12, 2006 at 09:17 AM.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:16 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 04:16 PM #38 of 45
I'm downloading this anyway ~

The Vagrant Story OST is the ONLY VGM ost I've ever paid for, and I'm glad I own something so awesome.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:14 AM #39 of 45
Call me tin-eared, but I simply can't hear much of a difference between the remastered and original tracks. It might just be my crappy speakers, or perhaps you have to be a genuine audiophile to percieve it.

In any case, the pirated copy of VS that I have will do for now

FELIPE NO
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:20 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 09:20 AM #40 of 45
Tin-eared? Deaf is more like it! Although perhaps it could be your crappy speakers. The newer tracks have significantly less reverb and different loudness levels than the old ones, and the instruments have been equalized differently. Using my Shure IEMs, or even my Grados, I can hear the difference easily, and I'm certainly no audiophile. Hell, I don't even own an amplifier.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Jun 12, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:22 AM #41 of 45
Oh goodness... This is horrible. So harsh and unrefined. I'm phenomenally glad I didn't buy the re-release to hear this remastered crap.

Well, I guess that answers my question very well. Thanks for the feedback and MP3s. Ehrm... Carry on, I guess.

Most amazing jew boots
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 01:23 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 12:23 PM #42 of 45
I can hear the difference just in the Sanctum before and after tracks posted there, and I'm not sure I like the difference either.

Sendspace is not giving me any open slots, but from what you guys are saying, I think I'll quit trying. They obviously cut a lot of corners resampling this. This is why my enthusiasm was so checked, considering it wasn't Sakimoto rearranging this.

katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 04:48 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 11:48 PM #43 of 45
Sanctum: what's with those echo's in the remastered version??? They sound too long.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
lassic
Syklis Green

Member 2140

Level 8.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 08:35 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 06:35 PM #44 of 45
Originally Posted by RyuFAN
I wonder what the final fantasy tactics reprint is like?
It's just a reprint. There is no re-mastering engineer listed in the insert credits, though coincidentally Kenzi Nagashima was responsible for the recording and mixing of the first 6 and last 2 tracks of the soundtrack.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:45 PM #45 of 45
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Tin-eared? Deaf is more like it! Although perhaps it could be your crappy speakers. The newer tracks have significantly less reverb and different loudness levels than the old ones, and the instruments have been equalized differently. Using my Shure IEMs, or even my Grados, I can hear the difference easily, and I'm certainly no audiophile. Hell, I don't even own an amplifier.
Well, if you consider that I'm using notebook computer speakers with no headphones, it all falls into place.

I burned a few of the tracks that people were complaining about to a CD and popped in the stereo, and the difference was a lot more apparent then. Definitely for the worse, too; the reverb was the score's saving grace.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 15, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Vagrant Story Remastered OST