Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] If you could only play one game for the rest of your life...

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:14 PM 1 #26 of 46
PC game-wise, there's only one game I want:

Best.PC.Game.Ever. Normally I'd say nothing is perfect, but this is. Why hasn't LA re-released it yet?

As for consoles, I have no idea.

How ya doing, buddy?

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:21 PM #27 of 46
Why hasn't LA re-released it yet?
Good shot, Gamma One. Secret Mission Objectives Completed. The Emperor Will Be Pleased!

(Truth be told - Lucasarts re-released this several times, the last one being a bargain bin Collector's Edition for Win95/98. It hasn't been out since because the spacesim market is all but forgotten and no one makes or buys joysticks anymore. Also: X-Wing Alliance didn't do as well as they had hoped.)

(However, if you're looking for a fix, I cannot more highly recommend the offical strategy guide by Prima Books. Its your usual "Heres How To Do It" - but its written so each mission ends with a couple paragraphs or pages of a story. More or less, the entire game is turned into a novelization. Its absolutely fantastic.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:23 PM 2 #28 of 46

or

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:26 PM #29 of 46
Oh, I know about those re-releases, but they don't work so well on newer machines. At least it doesn't on mine. My only joystick (it was the Logitech Wingman Extreme, awesome stick) is reallllly squeaky and old now. There's also a chance LA will release it on Steam though as they already released several games on the service. *crosses fingers*

As for strategy guides, it must be quite old.I guess I can try looking for it.

Most amazing jew boots

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:29 PM #30 of 46
As for strategy guides, it must be quite old. I guess I can try looking for it.
You can buy the damn thing for one cent - Amazon.com: TIE Fighter: The Official Strategy Guide (9781559585194): Rusel Demaria: Books

I can still run TIE Fighter Collector's CD ROM just fine with regular old Windows XP Compatibility Mode.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:36 PM #31 of 46
Hot damn, you're right. I must look into getting one then!

Oops I guess I should mention the version I have is the original one for DOS. For some reason I thought I had the re-release. I tried using DOSBOX once and I couldn't get the sound to work right. It was really scratchy. *le sigh* I guess I can check Ebay for the Win version if you say it runs fine. Does it support gamepads? I have one.

FELIPE NO

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:38 PM #32 of 46
Look around. TIE Fighter is one of those games that goes for $60 on Ebay for no reason - and goes for under $10 on Amazon.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:46 PM #33 of 46
Once again you save me money. Thanks! I was just checking on Ebay and noticed the prices. Can't wait to play this game again.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sjaakie
Wark!

Member 33838

Level 2.86

Jun 2009

Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:20 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2009, 01:20 AM #34 of 46
damn only one game that is a tough one. I would probaly be stuck choosing between aoe2:tc or bf2 I wasted 100s of hours on both games and still play them these days. aoe2 has fun mp and some great usermade campaings and well bf2 I love the mp about that game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:32 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2009, 04:32 PM #35 of 46
Age of Empires 2 is actually a decent choice (if that's what you're saying, I honestly can't tell since you've only given an acronym).

I remember spending hours on a Three Kingdoms campaign, and I could realistically see myself redoing and tweaking all sorts of conflicts for an indefinite period of time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:11 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2009, 07:11 PM #36 of 46
If I could have the same amount of fun playing a single game originally, extended indefinitely, then I'd have to go with this:
Quote:
However, if I'm hedging my bets, then I'd agree with zOrg (and his foul shadowy allies), that Dwarf Fortress is the way to go.

Free, under constant development, offering procedurally generated content that's new every time, and with a roadmap for the future that offers a lot of promise for the Civ lover in me.
Spoiler:

# III.A.1: Having civ/site leaders organize armies and continue world gen wars (Core45,Core46)
# III.A.2: Making dwarf mode sieges come from actual armies on the map (part of Core26)
# III.A.3: Improving dwarf mode sieges (requires Caravan Arc Preliminaries I) (part of Core26)
# III.B.1: Improvements to dwarf mode squad control
# III.B.2: Ability to send your army or part of your army out into the world map (part of Core27)
# III.B.3: Ability to attack enemy sites (part of Core27,Core35)
# III.B.4: Ability to attack enemy armies at non-site locations on the world map/midlevel tactical views and decisions (requires III.A.1) (part of Core27)
# III.C.1: Ability to travel with an army in adventure mode (requires III.A.1) (part of Core65)
# III.C.2: Ability to receive a group and perform army-related tasks in adventure mode (part of Core65)
# III.D.1: Handling basic succession for all positions during regular play (part of Core63)
# III.D.2: Allowing conflict over succession, schisms and contested claims to entity positions in world gen (part of Core63)
# III.D.3: Allowing such conflict in regular play (part of Core63)

serenade
Wark!

Member 34177

Level 1.21

Aug 2009

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:49 AM #37 of 46
Does Defense of the Ancient count? it's a map. or i'd say..Warcraft TFT

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:57 AM #38 of 46
No. DotA does not count as a game. Try again.

pwnderpants
I pwn your pants!

Member 34170

Level 2.12

Aug 2009

Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:15 PM #39 of 46
I would have to go with Team Fortress 2. For some reason it's the only FPS I can actually snipe well.

Most amazing jew boots
Thud.
Michael J. Floppies

Member 31527

Level 14.90

Aug 2008

Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:33 PM #40 of 46

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Petrovich
Wark!

Member 33821

Level 3.62

Jun 2009

Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:57 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 11:57 PM 1 #41 of 46

If I had enough controllers (unlikely) and my fingers stayed it good shape (unlikely) I would be more than content playing this game for the rest of my life.

Best two player game ever made in my opinion!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Rangel
Not as new as he looks

Member 1986

Level 9.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:01 AM #42 of 46
You know, at first I thought this question would be quite easy for me, but then I started thinking. I get bored very easily.

I'm one of these people who just get's bored with a game after a while. But there is one game that I keep coming back too, and it never really gets old for me.

I hate to say it, but here it comes

Star Ocean: The Second Story.

It might be because the game itself holds a special place in my heart. I purchased it before I even owned a ps1. I knew I was getting one because my sister was giving me her old one. So I went out and bought a game, and this was it.

Although I've probably gone through every PA in the game, and still love creating my own weapons and working on each characters stats.

I've probably seen all 82 endings and beat Indalecio (Both the easy and harder version) which has hard as hell, by the way.

It's just one of those games that I could pick up and start over today, and still enjoy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:35 AM #43 of 46
Honestly, In The Groove 2. With a strong stepfile community out there, and the ability to hack songs on to arcade machines with the use of Linux, the possibilities are endless with this game since people are always finding new and interesting songs to step.

On top of that, it keeps me in shape or just prevents me from becoming fatter than I already am.

Not bad for a dead video games series, huh?

Most amazing jew boots
Peter Benders
Wark!

Member 33803

Level 1.60

Jun 2009

Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:33 AM #44 of 46
nfs

it will be always need for speed most wanted....or space fight games like freelancer... nice thread... keep up the good work

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:31 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2009, 03:31 PM #45 of 46
Need For Speed Most Wanted is bent compared to Need For Speed Underground. They completely destroyed the sense of speed and made it about actual racing rather than just twitching reactions. Plus the fact you can't swap parts between cars makes upgrading no fun. I'm not saying you're wrong, you must obviously like the game but I was really disappointed with it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:34 AM #46 of 46
You'll need the rest of your life just to get the achievement for level 280 in endless mode.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] If you could only play one game for the rest of your life...