Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How to rip console game music with my laptop

majario
Arin=Sexy+Magic=Super Pangya!

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:24 PM #1 of 24
How to rip console game music with my laptop

I've been having problems trying to rip some music from my console games using my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario V2000 and it has a microphone and headphone slot. What cables would I need to start ripping? My desktop computer was much easier to figure out. I would use my desktop computer to rip my console games but it is in another room. If anyone can help me out please let me know. I already have the double ended 1/8" stereo jack cable which worked perfectly with my desktop to rip from my DS and PSP but I've gotten nowhere with my laptop. Thanks in advance!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:02 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 11:02 PM #2 of 24
Does your laptop have a line-in jack? If not, then you're screwed. You'll have to do your ripping on the computer otherwise. =/

EDIT: In order to rip console games, you don't need the double-ended cable. Instead, you will need an RCA-to-1/8" jack converter. One end plugs into the line-in jack on your computer, the other end inserts into the red & white plugs on the cable that would connect your console to your TV.

I don't have an image of this converter, but Kairyu might. I got my ripping equipment from him, so I'd ask him.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Basil; Aug 6, 2006 at 12:05 AM.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 08:00 AM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 02:00 PM #3 of 24
Do not use the microphone jack as it is only able to play mono sound. I don't know if this is of any help to you, but here's an old schematic I've made on how to connect a PS2 to a computer. I don't know if this'll help you, but I'm posting it just in case.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Killy; May 28, 2007 at 01:34 PM.
majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:03 AM #4 of 24
I've got all the connections correct and I was able to rip some music but the thing is that it sounds awful. I see everywhere that I need to change the option from mic mode to line-in mode but the problem is that with Conexant AMC Audio there is no option to switch to line-in mode like in my desktop pc. All the options I'm given is mono mixer, stereo mixer, mic, and cd audio. I was so happy when I got my laptop b/c of the fact I could start ripping the music from some of my console games such as Fullmetal Alchemist 2 but it seems that this is the only problem standing in my way. Any suggestions?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 06:51 AM Local time: Aug 9, 2006, 12:51 PM #5 of 24
Did you try the stereo mixer?

I was speaking idiomatically.
SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:46 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 12:46 PM #6 of 24
It´s easy to check if your laptop (and your settings) are good enough for audio recording. Just record without connection to your audio source (but at normal volume settings) and watch how much noise the setup produces on its own.

Just to compare - my SB Live is at about -72db at Line In and about -57db at Mic In (with Mic boost enabled).

I know the problem from my laptop that I only use to record voice takes with a mic. The quality is much worse than my SB Live Line In, I would never use it to rip music.

If you are stuck with it, you could try to mute all other audio in the mixer (playing AND recording) - you could also try to play with the volume to see if the bad quality is not a problem of a too powerful signal.

What about buying a longer cable and using your PC to rip? I´m a little lucky because the cable to my PC speakers is long enough to re-use it to connect the PS2 to the PC. I use headphones to check recordings, anyway. ^^

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 05:09 PM #7 of 24
Quote:
I know the problem from my laptop that I only use to record voice takes with a mic. The quality is much worse than my SB Live Line In, I would never use it to rip music.
Of course you wouldn't, it's only monoaural...

FELIPE NO
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:37 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 12:07 AM #8 of 24
For the record, it's ALWAYS a good idea to mute every source you don't use, as well as set their sliders to 0% (nothing). Imagine never using a microphone, yet the volume on your 'mic in' (or applicable) mixer is unmuted, and the level set to 100%! You can see how that would distort recordings or at least add noise to it. (In fact, I once added my voice to a VGM recording by accident, because a mic in port wasn't muted and picked up my voice.)

Same goes for other bits. With Conexant AMC Audio (I have a laptop with it too), the following should be muted (and sliders set to 0%):
Volume Control
SW Synth, CD Audio, Microphone, PC Speaker, and Phone.

The following should have their sliders set to 0%, and the only box ticked should be 'Line In' (my Conexant AMC Audio in Recording Control has it. Othrwise use Stereo Mixer):
Recording Control
Mono Mixer, CD Audio, and Microphone.

Regards,
- Spike

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:38 PM #9 of 24
For the record, you shouldn't be using a laptop to record anything. They don't have proper line-in ports.

majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:20 PM #10 of 24
Yeah, that's why I just sent for an external sound card that does have a proper line-in port. I'm going to see how it works out once I get it in a couple of days. I mean, I was able to do the Fullmetal Alchemist 2 rip and it sounds alright but quality wise it is not up to par with my other rips.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by majario; Oct 16, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 02:55 PM #11 of 24
ArrowHead is of course right, I use a M-Audio FireWire Audiophile w/ my laptop. But, ArrowHead, the guy asked what should he do to record with his laptop

And, my mute all idea is good anyway, whether you use an external or not.

- Spike

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:49 AM #12 of 24
Yes, I will take that mute all idea b/c it is a good idea. Thanks for all the help guys!

How ya doing, buddy?
majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 01:07 AM #13 of 24
It's been a while since I posted here but I have a question. Ever since I got my usb sound card to use with my laptop everything has been great except that recently I've noticed something. Before I start to recording and select the line in option, there is already noise interference. Yes, I do use the noise reduction to remove the noise but you can still slightly hear it if you listen closely. I've uploaded a wav file so you can hear the noise interference I'm experiencing while recording and I also uploaded a track in which you can still hear a light hiss in the background. You really can't notice the light hiss in songs that have a lot of instruments playing but in a fairly quiet song like the one I provided you can hear it. I'm a real audiofile when it comes to my own rips so I was just wondering if maybe my sound card is the one to blame for the interference being transferred from my laptop to the recording. Another thing is that the interference gets worse if say I start to browse some folders in my laptop or anything that requires my laptop to do something. Maybe getting the Sound Blaster Audigy NX 2 will solve the problem for my laptop? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the usb sound card I'm using now with my laptop is the Philips Aurilium. Maybe it has bad signal to noise ratio? I don't know but anyone that can help me please do. Thank You!

Last edited by majario; Jan 5, 2007 at 01:12 AM.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:35 AM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 10:35 AM #14 of 24
This might sound stupid, but let's consider electronic static for a while. In a laptop, the components of the computer are rather tightly packed, meaning they might interfere with each other on a different basis than the components of a stationary computer, where they usually are apart by at least a little margin.

I downloaded the Noise.wav and noticed that, when normalised quite alot, you have a portion which quite clearly comes out as either a processor working or a harddrive being read - don't ask me how I've drawn the conclusion, but I just think it sounds alot like a stationary computer does when it's reading off the harddrive, no?

Or your soundcard is just teh suck, I don't know about that. But, then there's the possibility of dust and shit getting inside. Anyway, I know none of the above makes sense, but that's the conclusion I came to.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Killy; Jan 5, 2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: typos..
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2007, 06:51 AM #15 of 24
Agreed, definitely sounds like EMF from your hardware.

Keep the soundbox as far away from the computer as possible. Might as well keep it as far away from the console as possible too. If that doesn't get rid of the noise altogether, it should at least help. If not, then either the system's audio output or the soundbox is just plain crummy.

FELIPE NO
starerik
Maestro

Member 1706

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2007, 09:20 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2007, 04:20 PM #16 of 24
I bought a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS notebook edition for my laptop. It works really well when ripping audio.

How ya doing, buddy?
"Don't mind if I do!"
Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 08:46 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2007, 12:16 AM #17 of 24
Yeah, been about as long for me too, majario

Incidentally, Sound Blaster's are generally a bad idea if you're a 'real audiophile' as you claim (although you hear that a lot in audio circles).

Here's an example of my laptop and M-Audio FireWire Audiophile producing good sound but still audio problems:
http://smc.sq7.org/assorted/FPFPSCTrack01.mp3

For me there's two problems (and why I no longer use my laptop to record music). As Killy says, in laptops parts are close together.
Also, as well as interference heat is a big issue. Most laptops overheat quickly and produce latency which is not only bad for lags but for your sound recording utility keeping pace generally.

Really, if you're an audiophile, ditch the laptop for recording. Go with a cheap desktop, you can get a more than competent one for 700 US bucks. A reasonable external soundcard is about 140 US as well. That's a better idea than blowing 90 plus bucks on a Sound Blaster for your laptop, unless of course you can't afford to make any more upgrades just yet (which I understand, and sympathise). Even if the SB is your idea, probably look at other USB or firewire solutions for your laptop- IMO, there's better solutions for minimal price increases.

And I also believe laptop recording can be done- you just need a laptop with a reliable constant power source which doesn't get too hot, and that has a 2-2.5 + GHz processor/512+ MB RAM (and a good sound card too of course).

Regards,
- Spike

majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:05 PM #18 of 24
Yeah, I would just use my desktop computer for all my rips but it's just that I don't have enough space in my room for it to fit. I would also use a long enough cable that could go from my game console to my desktop but I don't want to have to keep going back and forth from room to room to record. I think it just might be this Philips Aurilium sound card. Maybe I'll try a different usb sound card. Are there any other one besides the ones you and starerik gave so I can do some research on them?

How ya doing, buddy?
Unagi
- slippery as.

Member 7325

Level 5.90

May 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:54 PM #19 of 24
Quote:
It's been a while since I posted here but I have a question. Ever since I got my usb sound card to use with my laptop everything has been great except that recently I've noticed something. Before I start to recording and select the line in option, there is already noise interference. Yes, I do use the noise reduction to remove the noise but you can still slightly hear it if you listen closely. I've uploaded a wav file so you can hear the noise interference I'm experiencing while recording and I also uploaded a track in which you can still hear a light hiss in the background. You really can't notice the light hiss in songs that have a lot of instruments playing but in a fairly quiet song like the one I provided you can hear it. I'm a real audiofile when it comes to my own rips so I was just wondering if maybe my sound card is the one to blame for the interference being transferred from my laptop to the recording. Another thing is that the interference gets worse if say I start to browse some folders in my laptop or anything that requires my laptop to do something. Maybe getting the Sound Blaster Audigy NX 2 will solve the problem for my laptop? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
That's exactly what happens when I use my microphone on my laptop. The one that's built into it, that is. I haven't tried plugging one in the port yet. The line-in doesn't make any processor noises, but if you want to know what I do to remove all noise, it's this:

Unplug the power cord (This creates massive noise when plugged in)

Minimize your recording program while recording is in process (As someone mentioned before, if your processor is overloaded, you'll be hit with lag. The realtime visual waveform writing seems to be the culprit)

Record direct from source (Well, this actually isn't a laptop-only problem, but thought I'd mention it anyway. Cutting out the middleman is a good idea since receivers/amps/whatever tend to create a small amount of noise.)

Quote:
And I also believe laptop recording can be done- you just need a laptop with a reliable constant power source which doesn't get too hot, and that has a 2-2.5 + GHz processor/512+ MB RAM (and a good sound card too of course).
Yup. My specs actually fall a little below what you recommend there, and my rips turn out just fine (I don't care to game on my laptop).

EDIT: Whoa, just reread the topic and noticed that you are using an external sound card! Well, not that that's bad, but it can create a whole new load of variables. Questions: How is it powered? Through it's own power supply, or through the computer? Also, which type of USB is it? 2.0, I'd hope. From what I've read, transfer speed doesn't seem to be an issue though.

(One more thing: Have you tried searching and updating the drivers for the soundcard built into your PC yet? Which also reminds me, do you remember to disable your built in soundcard while using the external one? Y'know, to avoid device conflicts or other undesired effects.)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Unagi; Feb 1, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:21 PM #20 of 24
The Philips Aurilium uses usb 2.0 to power it up. The drivers for the built in sound card for my laptop are already up to date. As for disabling the built in sound card while using the external one didn't cross my mind. What I would do is have the built in sound card's attributes all on mute while I used the external sound card.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Unagi
- slippery as.

Member 7325

Level 5.90

May 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 01:05 AM #21 of 24
Yeah, muting it just means the sound wont come out of the speakers, doesn't stop it from processing or anything like that. Computers are fairly fickle things, so maybe going under your device manager and disabling your on-board sound card will help out. Or not.

Based on what you've said earlier, it sounds like your computer just is prone to creating a lot of noise. I mean, you have an external sound card, and there's still noise, right? Noise that sounds like computer processing. I still don't exactly understand how a line-in recording could be interfered in that manner (a microphone, I get), but it sounds like something is bleeding from your computer into the line going to your sound card.

You have tried unplugging your power source when recording, right?

majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 02:32 PM #22 of 24
No, I have not tried unplugging the power source since the battery lasts for only an hour and less than that especially if I'm editing/recording music. I'll try disabling my laptop's sound card and unplugging the power cord to see if that does anything. Thanks for the help Unagi!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
majario

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:23 PM #23 of 24
Well, I tried disabling the laptop's sound card and unplugging the ac cord but the noise was still there. It did work a little bit though since the noise was less noticeable when I recorded something this time. I guess the other option now is to try a different external sound card.

FELIPE NO
Gandalf
White Wizard

Member 5555

Level 1.10

Apr 2006

Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:46 AM Local time: Jun 11, 2007, 07:46 AM #24 of 24
My wheather is better than you. Be careful .

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > How to rip console game music with my laptop