Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Left 4 STOP THROWING PIPE BOMBS AT THE TANKS

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:00 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2009, 03:00 PM #101 of 640
So hey, are people who play as Survivors on Versus retarded or something? As soon as the game starts up, it's like they all split off and do their own thing. After dying a few times, I ended up being a Smoker towards the end of the first level of No Mercy. I got up into the building overlooking the staircase that leads down to the first safehouse and chilled there for a while. I manage to snag the guy playing as Louis, but I figure the tongue stretching down the entire building constricting a guy wearing a white shirt would be hard to miss, so I didn't expect it to last.
Once people start getting closer to the safehouse, it's amazing how many will just take off. That open area is a deathtrap, and it doesn't help that some assholes like to hit the car alarm on purpose just to fuck with other people's day.

I've also noticed that people can
Spoiler:
while on infected team, switch teams back and forth quickly to get a hunter respawn right away, which also tends to fuck with the AI on your team bots, so they stand around looking dense.

It's getting worse, I've noticed. Hope they come out with a patch pretty soon. Some more attention to clipping issues would be great too. Can't count the number of times I've gotten stuck on a door or a corner.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:27 PM #102 of 640
Has anyone noticed any good mods coming out yet?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:46 PM #103 of 640
Sass, knowing you as a Tourettes guy fan, I figured you'd get a kick out of this mod!

YouTube Video
Yea, I think Pang showed me that. And then LeHah. And then everyone. I DIED the first time I saw it.

I don't like versus too much, so I doubt I'll ever get to use Tourette's Guy with the Tank, but I was considering just switching it over to Francis or something (I saw a video with a survivor who had the Tourettes installed too, but it's no where NEAR as funny as the Tank is)

FELIPE NO
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:43 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2009, 12:43 AM #104 of 640
Personally, I love the Macho Man L4D edits. Christ those are scary.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:53 PM #105 of 640
YouTube Video

That is ruthless timing for the smoker, holy shit.

How ya doing, buddy?

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:05 PM 5 #106 of 640
PRO TIPS

Infected players seriously need to learn how to rightclick. Yeah, a good long-distance pounce will do 20 damage and knock people back. A 5-foot pounce does about 3 damage and then you get a face full of buckshot. The hunter's claw swipe does 20 damage a hit and it moves in an arc, so you can hit multiple survivors when they cluster together (like they always do during any panic event, anymore. It's so satisfying to get 80 points with one click because the tards have meshed into a four-headed totem pole.). Save the fucking pounces for groups that are harried (by boomer vomit or a tank or a witch) or dumb stragglers. Yeah, you CAN do more damage with a pounce, but you almost always WON'T. Furthermore, a hunter which is STANDING and not CROUCHED (for pouncing) isn't giving off the scream that advertises his presence.

(Exception: If you're on fire, always try to pounce. You're dead anyway and a burning hunter pounce melts the HP like crazy.)

Also, for the most part I've found that smoking somebody is much more successful if you just run up and tag them at melee range. You reel them in instantly, so you're guaranteed a good 3-4 hits which sad to say is more than your average snag gets you.

Smoker/boomer melee does about 3 damage which doesn't seem worth it, but if it's a choice between rushing and fleeing because your tongue won't recharge for another 10 seconds, scratch the motherfuckers. This goes double for boomers because an enemy that's actually hitting you seems to trigger the "oh fuck, shoot it" response that any boomer wants. Even if it doesn't, some tards don't seem to realize that spamming melee will blow up a boomer right in their faces as well.

Lastly, stop spawning 1000 yards ahead! Infected Bosses make noise. I don't care how clever your "hiding place" is, everybody can hear you from a mile away. Spawn as close to the survivors as you can, don't give them time to realize "oh I hear a boomer, let's shoot every wall in the vicinity until it dies harmlessly". If you get your timing tight enough, they'll run right into you before the game even starts playing your idle sounds. This is how you pull off awesome claw swipes; whip around a corner and rip their faces off. Will you die instantly? Yes, but you would've died when they melee'd you out of the air mid-pounce anyway and this way you accomplish something.

I am by no means an expert FPS master or any shit like that and it's just obscenely wrong that I should be topping team scoreboards due to basic shit like this. With so many glitches and little oversights balancing the game against Infected you have to use every trick you can. It's no goddamn fun to watch teams stroll to the saferoom with 80% of their health every time.

Most importantly: That Zoey player spamming the death scream? Kill Her First.

Christ that's a lot of text

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Jan 6, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:26 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2009, 08:26 PM #107 of 640
Pro tips are always useful.

The first time I played versus, I got cussed out at some guy for sucking so much. Not that he was wrong (I sucked tremendously), but it's asking a lot for a newbie to get with the picture so quickly against a well-organized team. Not everyone is so magnanimous as to dispense advice instead of abuse, so it can get rough.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:51 AM #108 of 640
It is arbitrary. The only real distinction is that the director will never allow more than one Boomer or Smoker to be spawned at the same time (no limit on hunters). So if you already see a live boomer and smoker both walking around, you're guaranteed to get a hunter. The problem is, if you're a boomer than the team loses a boomer at the exact same time you go into waiting for spawn mode. 25 seconds later, time to spawn and the director sees the team is short a boomer and off you go. If some other guy dies right before you, he might get it instead but unfortunately people keep doing solo attacks instead of teamups and therefore deaths tend to be spaced out, trapping people in loops. And of course if the smoker/boomer are trying to be sneaky (ergo, camping some roof and not attacking), their slots take forever to open up and you'll be stuck as hunter.

Oooh, one more thing. Witches. People will tell you to loom over them, and the survivors will be FORCED TO SHOOT HER! Nobody falls for this anymore, it's an empty threat and you both just stand there staring at each other like idiots until you get headshot. What you do instead is wait for the cocky geniuses to make their CR0WND attempt and ambush them from the side while they stare down the barrel all a-tremble. As a bonus this almost guarantees they will fuck up the assassination and loose the witch on themselves in addition to whatever hurt you may put on them. Almost a guaranteed incap.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:54 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 02:54 PM #109 of 640
Oooh, one more thing. Witches. People will tell you to loom over them, and the survivors will be FORCED TO SHOOT HER! Nobody falls for this anymore, it's an empty threat and you both just stand there staring at each other like idiots until you get headshot. What you do instead is wait for the cocky geniuses to make their CR0WND attempt and ambush them from the side while they stare down the barrel all a-tremble. As a bonus this almost guarantees they will fuck up the assassination and loose the witch on themselves in addition to whatever hurt you may put on them. Almost a guaranteed incap.
Did they remove the ability to rile up the witch, also? I noticed infected doing it before, but when I tried it the other night it didn't seem to work.

I wish they'd do something to beef up smokers, though. Now that everyone knows melee is the thing to do, they're not much more than an inconvenience. Granted, the truck yard is a great place to drag people off, but there's only a few places like that in the game where it's worth it to be smoker.

Really what I'd like are some teammates who actually look out for me. Can't count the number of times everybody's taken off without any concern for yours truly, and what do you know, I get surrounded by all the zombies they just passed by without killing, and a pounce or a pull follows soon afterwards.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:53 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2009, 06:53 PM #110 of 640
The ineffectualness of being a smoker is offset by how much fun it is.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:09 PM #111 of 640
Yeah, the Smoker is in a situation where it's completely useless unless it's the right person at the precisely right time. It depends more on the player being competent than any of the other infected, but if the Smoker player is smart there's at least 3 places in each campaign where you can snag somebody into a guaranteed kill because the other survivors can't reach them. It's all a matter of knowing the "points of no return": the sewer manholes in NM3, the elevator in NM4, the rooftop at the top of the ladder in NM5, the cliff over the cornfield in BH5... some teams are smart enough to all jump the hurdles at once. Not many, though.

I think the only real buff Smokers need is a slight increase in the pull speed and also for a snag from above to actually pull the victim upward. Snagging from below or the sides pulls the victim in, but if you snag from a rooftop they only ever seem to get a foot off the ground. You can't really justify this as the constraint of gravity, when the game happily allows Boomers to climb up the occasional sheer wall.

FELIPE NO
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:33 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 08:33 PM #112 of 640
I think the only real buff Smokers need is a slight increase in the pull speed and also for a snag from above to actually pull the victim upward.
I think that would be pretty cool, but then you potentially make the smoker too powerful. What if they get the players all the way up to the top of a high building and someone shoots you to save them? The players would just fall to their deaths anyways. The only reason to save a person at that point would be to deny the smoker points.

The only thing that I could think of that would be good is that maybe the Smoker uses the person as a human shield, because right now when someone is smoked, what do people do? They just shoot the player, and the smoker together. The person takes little damage, and the smoker takes a lot. In that situation I think the survivor should take more damage from shots fired at them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:47 PM #113 of 640
I think that would be pretty cool, but then you potentially make the smoker too powerful. What if they get the players all the way up to the top of a high building and someone shoots you to save them? The players would just fall to their deaths anyways.
Well, you could make the upward pull slower than the normal pull, maybe 1/2 speed or something. I don't think "If you leave your friends smokered for a full minute, they might be impossible to save" is really superpowerful; if you left somebody underneath a hunter that long they'd surely be dead. Just slooooowly hitch them upward, inch after agonizing inch.

Smokers on rooftops are a little harder to hit, as well, so this simultaneously weakens melee (you can't melee somebody out of a smoke if they're out of reach) and strengthens the hunting rifle, which are both needed changes.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:58 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2009, 08:58 PM #114 of 640
Well, you could make the upward pull slower than the normal pull, maybe 1/2 speed or something. I don't think "If you leave your friends smokered for a full minute, they might be impossible to save" is really superpowerful; if you left somebody underneath a hunter that long they'd surely be dead. Just slooooowly hitch them upward, inch after agonizing inch.

Smokers on rooftops are a little harder to hit, as well, so this simultaneously weakens melee (you can't melee somebody out of a smoke if they're out of reach) and strengthens the hunting rifle, which are both needed changes.

Ahhh, that's true about the hunter. Yeah, that would be a good thing then, not even half the speed like three quarters of the speed, as long as it was just a tad bit slower than pulling across the ground.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 02:35 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2009, 02:35 AM #115 of 640
I'd just shoot the tongue. :I

Benjamin please
how's it going

Member 48

Level 16.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:36 AM #116 of 640
Just got L4D a few days ago. Amazed. A+
Steam ID: Orobas55

<a_lurker|laptop> I think your car died too.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 03:49 AM #117 of 640
I'd just shoot the tongue. :I
Just requiring the use of the left mouse button in order to break a snag is an improvement on the situation as it stands.

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 09:33 PM Local time: Jan 11, 2009, 09:33 PM #118 of 640
Coordinated Infected attacks are a nightmare. Remember if you're a hunter to pounce anybody that isn't covered in bile, their teammates can't tell hide nor hair and are gonna be busy melee-ing everything. If everybody's covered in bile fucking attack.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:01 PM #119 of 640
Today I found out Im very bad at Versus. Part of it is the awkwardness of things like finding a place to spawn and the rest is really just people NEVER trying to coordinate shit, like Brady said.

Playing as survivors, I almost made it to the end of the hospital by myself because my teammates wanted to stick around and kill more zombies and ended up being knocked off the map by the Tank. Its like DUH.

FELIPE NO
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:01 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2009, 01:01 PM #120 of 640
I dunno if this is so but I think if the team rushes the map you might be able to outrun the tank spawning. Either that or the Director was being super gay.

How ya doing, buddy?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:50 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2009, 01:50 PM #121 of 640
I dunno if this is so but I think if the team rushes the map you might be able to outrun the tank spawning. Either that or the Director was being super gay.
My experiences with rushing have always turned out badly in this game. Inevitably, because people are more concerned with going forward than making sure their backs are covered, someone gets separated by zombies that get in the way, or a smoker grabs the last one through, and everybody else is like "Oh, thought you were with us. Well, anyways, let's go." Usually by that point it's just a matter of picking off the rest.

Besides that, it's not usually too hard to take down a tank as long as you're in an area where you can all focus your fire on him.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:18 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2009, 02:18 PM #122 of 640
I've had mixed experiences with rushing. Then again the few times I play versus I sometimes end up with a mix of friends + pubbies.

If you rush and pause to kill special infected, you should be just fine until they spawn again. There are certain points where you have to move as one unit though or you'll get picked off by a smoker or hunter and you can't be saved.

Probably the biggest problem I experience are people who kind of take their sweet time when we're moving. It's not campaign so we don't have the luxury of exploring every nook and cranny; at least not if you are up against competent Infected players.

Most amazing jew boots
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 PM Local time: Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 PM #123 of 640
Also hay tank virgins when you incap somebody don't keep pounding them expecting a kill it just makes you a jackass. Also during the Blood Harvest finale keep your distance and just throw shit, their shotguns won't have as much of an effect. A lot of time players will camp the ammo room expecting you to rush in there so they can fuck you up with the auto shotties since tank smash only hits one survivor. Just look at them long enough to stay in control and let your teammates wear them down in a war of attrition.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:01 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2009, 01:01 AM #124 of 640
After going through a crazy Orange-walled custom level (Textures missing I guess) tonight with Pang, Dope & Sass, I looked around to see what other stuff people have come up with. I saw a BioHazard type mod, a couple player Skins (Especially for Zoe) but the creme de la creme HAS TO BE THIS:

Crossroads Mall - A Replica of the Mall in Dawn of the Dead

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 03:37 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2009, 03:37 AM #125 of 640
After going through a crazy Orange-walled custom level (Textures missing I guess) tonight with Pang, Dope & Sass, I looked around to see what other stuff people have come up with. I saw a BioHazard type mod, a couple player Skins (Especially for Zoe) but the creme de la creme HAS TO BE THIS:

Crossroads Mall - A Replica of the Mall in Dawn of the Dead

I saw this on youtube already, but as huge as it is, it will need more work to ensure survivors aren't wandering aimlessly or getting separated when they play. As it stands, there's not even an indication of where a person should go to find a safehouse.

Here's an updated walkthrough of some of the work they've done, which looks good so far.
YouTube - Dead before Dawn - Left 4 Dead New Map

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Left 4 STOP THROWING PIPE BOMBS AT THE TANKS