Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Importance of Gaming

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 09:53 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 01:53 AM #1 of 19
Importance of Gaming

Who said games were bad? Today, gaming is one of the leading industries and its importance is still somewhat overshadowed by luddites. Violence, sex and death take the spotlight away from the good points about gaming.

We've known the importance of gaming for a million years yet no one seems to write anything about it. Why is gaming important for today's society? Why is it needed?

In my opinion, and from all fair points of view, gaming is integral to life in today's society. A place to stimulate the mind, a separate reality, a perfect exercise workout, a social excuse to gather around... Gaming has many uses for different people.

Brain Training has been the most recent "game" developed to "improve people's mental capabilities". Although the Brain games are an obvious example of games helping out mental capabilities, many other games do the same thing only to present them in a different way. Ico's integration of two characters as the central focus of their puzzles. Zelda's dungeons. Decision making is needed in games like Warcraft and Final Fantasy. There are so many games out there which go further than the "promotes violence and sex" view in which stinky, old politicians seem to have these days.

Even controvesial games such as GTA have their own importance and relevance. They might teach some gamers that violence is wrong (mostly, it's the other way though -_-'), they might improve reflexes and/or they might help raise ideas and thoughts about the themes present such as racism or whatever.

More importantly, games are fun.

Though there are many forms of entertainment, gaming is probably one of those forms of media in which the individual is engaged. You could sit in front of the telly, sit there and listen to an iPod, but you have no input in it. Gaming is a active interaction betwen an individual. Gaming is the biggest cure for long train trips, Sundays at your Grandma's house or staying alive through that boring lecturer of yours.

Games are important to society these days and we as gamers enjoy the benefits we are given having engaged in the world of games.

How is gaming important in your life?

Discuss discuss.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
pyrus421
the sky remains the same as ever

Member 597

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 10:19 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 08:19 AM #2 of 19
Aren't video games sometimes addicting? Probably blocking you out from doing something productive?

How ya doing, buddy?
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 10:41 AM #3 of 19
Originally Posted by Pyrus421
Aren't video games sometimes addicting? Probably blocking you out from doing something productive?
isn't that an old wives tale?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaco
Pirate Day

Member 766

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 10:42 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 07:42 AM #4 of 19
I don't find games very important in my life at all. It's nice to play a story once in a while but that's about it. I could eaisly live without them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 10:43 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 05:43 PM #5 of 19
Like what, masturbating? If you sit down and play games instead of dunno going out or studying, chances are that you wont do that even if your mom takes away your ps2.

no homo
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:31 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 01:31 PM #6 of 19
Games can get addictive. I was reminded when Oblivion came out. I rented it and played a little more than 35 hours in FIVE DAYS! That's a lot!

So, yeah, you need to be careful. It didn't really matter 'cause I'm on vacation but it's quite scary when you look at it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
pyrus421
the sky remains the same as ever

Member 597

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 11:37 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 09:37 AM #7 of 19
Its a common question along the topic. Playing video games invests time and money. In a situation where your ps2 is seized, that does not mean you won't do anything like brushing your teeth or get some good sleep.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 01:43 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 12:43 PM #8 of 19
Originally Posted by chaofan
We've known the importance of gaming for a million years yet no one seems to write anything about it. Why is gaming important for today's society? Why is it needed?
It's just another medium for telling stories; it lets you experience the story as it's being told. (Really, video games are just a stepping stone to VR experiences.) There are stories that you can tell in novels that can't be told in movies, and stories that you can tell through the medium of games that you can't tell in novels, etc. Of course, this depends on what games you're talking about. I wouldn't say that any Atari 2600 games advanced the story-telling medium but on the other hand something like FFVII certainly did.

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 02:17 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 08:17 PM #9 of 19
Gaming has become both more and less important in my life at the same time. I don't make a mad dash for new consoles anymore, and I don't spend as long playing games as I used to. I don't even play as many games as I used to. However, the few games that I do play are so important to me that I'd hate to be without them.

chunk92
Single Man Party

Member 7493

Level 3.93

May 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 03:28 PM Local time: May 27, 2006, 08:28 PM #10 of 19
Talking

:ninja: gaming's good it helps hand eye coordanation<did i spell that right> anyway it good you relieve stress and it helps stimulate the brain, so actually it helps get your creative juice's flowing just to let you know because i'm a big gamer and i think sociaty need them :biggrin:

How ya doing, buddy?
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old May 27, 2006, 09:36 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 02:36 AM #11 of 19
Some very popular games have no narrative whatsoever; people play these particular games for visceral, emotional reasons more than anything else. It's a shame for me because I enjoy a compelling story, but most games these days have a "plot" that could've been written by a five-year old, or have none by design.

Gaming is important economically, as it is often a driver for the creation and adoption of new technology, and it keeps a lot of people in work. Concerning the individual, I can only speak for myself. While I do enjoy several games and genres, I could probably live without games with no trouble at all. I prefer to create my own worlds and my own scenarios rather than immerse myself in yet another (often shoddily put-together) sequel. For me, that is a more productive use of my time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 10:11 PM #12 of 19
Originally Posted by Pyrus421
Anything can turn into a addiction. Depends on how much self-control a person can exert over their habits.

As for not being productive, what kind of human being are you if you can't kick back and relax and do something enjoyable for a part of your day? Most people have to go through a boring grind for the majority of their waking hours. Whether it's work or school. Neither of which are productive 100% of the time.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 12:13 AM Local time: May 27, 2006, 07:13 PM #13 of 19
Simple answer for me....It is not important in my life anymore and I have no intention of ever making it an important part again.

I was speaking idiomatically.
solid_snake
Chocobo

Member 3413

Level 9.40

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 04:53 AM #14 of 19
video games are good cuz they just get your mind off stressful thoughts and they are pretty good, who knows, maybe one day i will just make my carreer out of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Keep your friends close and your enemies....closer.
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2006, 05:48 AM Local time: May 29, 2006, 06:48 PM #15 of 19
in the age where parents begin to pay less attention to their children, games are starting to be an alternative method where children learn basic skillz

FELIPE NO
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 04:51 PM #16 of 19
Video games are for lame unmotivated losers, that's pretty much fact.

But is being a lame, unmotivated loser necessarily a bad thing? Discuss.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Unforgiven
How do I reach this fucking orb?

Member 6028

Level 16.56

May 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 07:53 PM #17 of 19
WHere did you get this fact? Nonsense.

Gakineko
You're sukiyaki!

Member 3199

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 04:57 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 01:57 AM #18 of 19
i'd say that videogames are an important part of my life and that playing a videogame is as important as it is for me to dream.

I look at videogames as a form of art. It takes plenty of effort to create a game, and the artistic/creative efforts to construct these alternate realities deserve some respect. given that there are different teams with the same goals, it is interesting to see what differences lie between the games. everyone has their own opinion of games: being good, having distasteful music, poor graphics, etc. and it is these games that manage to sell somewhere down the line. There are plenty of different venues for making the same game as there are different ways to illustrate and conduct them.
i've taken it upon myself to find games that people don't speak of to see for myself what sets it apart from other games. sure it may handle the same as another game, but the look and sound of the game are sure to be a bit different. there are thousands of games released per console (the major consoles anyway (;^_^) ) but not all of them make it to the US. there are even a few hundred that fail to make it to the market. by browsing the different titles launched and tracking the productions of certain development teams, i can create integrals of what i see to keep my imagination occupied. it's like peering into other people's dreams to contrast the dreams of one's own. one of the other highlights of this treasure hunting is that i can search for the reason that i am entertained by certain games over others and wonder what could be done to make a game suit my taste better.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Importance of Gaming