Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Oh Nintendo you silly goose - homebrew fightin'

Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:17 AM #1 of 29
Exclamation Oh Nintendo you silly goose - homebrew fightin'

So yeah Wii firmware version 4.2 came out today. My Wii woke me up at like 3 AM glowing blue so I turned that piece of shit off. Forgot that I left 24Connect whatever on.

Anyway!

If you're into Homebrew do not update to version 4.2 as it will actively and quite successfully delete all of your homebrew from your Wii. Apparently this update makes the Wii a little faster or some crap but do you want to fuck around with homebrew or a slightly faster Wii? I'm sure there will be a work around soon enough like I heard some hack using Lego Indiana Jones still works but just about every other method of installing homebrew is fucked. And of course that doesn't change the fact that if you do the update your homebrew stuff will be deleted and because of some updates to older IOS and cIOS you cannot downgrade to older firmware.

Just a friendly reminder for those few that get a flashing blue light today.

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:27 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2009, 02:27 PM #2 of 29
It does suck, glad I don't allow WiiConnect24. You can still update the Shop Channel for access to Virtual Console and WiiWare. Just do it through the homebrew app WiiSCU. I did it myself when a conversation with Tritoch alerted me to a new Wii update.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:34 AM #3 of 29
o lol I just PMed Tritoch about this stuff to make sure he didn't update since he was talking about homebrew in his journal recently. Good stuff.

Yeah, so here's two links for those who want some more details.

System Menu 4.2 - WiiBrew
Indiana Pwns - WiiBrew

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 08:42 AM 1 #4 of 29
Pretty sure that every update they release deletes homebrew stuff.

I mean really, what other "updates" could they possibly put out for a system that doesn't have jack shit. "Yeah we made it so you can access all of your no games faster. No real update here though nope nothing to see". It's gotten to the point where I figure the updates are specifically put out to try and combat all you homebrew niggers.

I just laugh every time the blue light comes on every other month.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

#654: Braixen
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:00 AM #5 of 29
For a while nobody wanted to go past firmware 3.2 but then there were workarounds. Then it was version 4.0 and 4.1 that were iffy but then became safe. This update attacks a lot of what makes the workarounds function. So yeah it's the biggest punch Nintendo's given in quite some time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:52 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2009, 06:52 PM #6 of 29
I have faith that the hombrew scene will find a way to get around this at least to the extent that games with forced updates eventually won't be a problem.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:51 PM #7 of 29
Yeah, but this update totally screws with IOS and cIOS which will fuck with a lot of cool shit like USB Loader. I don't know if you can install custom shit after this update even if you were to use an exploit like Indiana Pwns to install the Homebrew Channel again.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:58 PM #8 of 29
Phew, good thing I am still stuck that firmware that allowed Twillight Princess save file thingy. Now I am NEVER going to update to latest without knowing what's ahead 8D.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:17 PM #9 of 29
Does the Wii operate like PSP, where most games are checking for the latest firmware, or do they just rely on idiots to update their system?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:31 PM #10 of 29
Certain games (mostly first-party) come with a firmware update that is "required" in order for the game to work.

How ya doing, buddy?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:11 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2009, 10:11 PM #11 of 29
Yeah, but this update totally screws with IOS and cIOS which will fuck with a lot of cool shit like USB Loader. I don't know if you can install custom shit after this update even if you were to use an exploit like Indiana Pwns to install the Homebrew Channel again.
So what I'm hearing is that if someone installed this, they can't ever reinstall the exploitable IOS? That doesn't preclude the possibility of hacked versions of the new IOS, though... does it?

Hopefully there's some way to reverse the changes for those who got screwed over.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:34 PM #12 of 29
I read through the update description when I got the flashing blue light, and it's amusing that this time they don't even try to hide what it's for. The message outright says that this update adds no additional functionality and only targets homebrew/piracy applications. Of course they do this the day after I finally got around to going Homebrew.

Would this thing Soluzar linked last night still work for reactivating the Shop channel? I don't want to go fiddling around with stuff that could potentially brick the system, but it would be nice to still have the option to buy WiiWare games and such. I was thinking of picking up Tales of Monkey Island chapters around Christmas, though not any time soon.

Originally Posted by wvlfpvp
Certain games (mostly first-party) come with a firmware update that is "required" in order for the game to work.
That doesn't happen very often, does it? The only one I can think of was Brawl.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:41 PM #13 of 29
Super Paper Mario and (I think) Galaxy both required an update.

Oh wait, I forgot, there are apparently no games on the system.

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:51 PM #14 of 29
Plenty require updates. But those are for old firmware versions. The ones to worry about now are newer games released after this firmware.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:35 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2009, 05:35 PM 2 #15 of 29
Super Paper Mario and (I think) Galaxy both required an update.

Oh wait, I forgot, there are apparently no games on the system.
If you buy a system, and there are less than 10 must have games on it years after the fact, that system has no games.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

wvlfpvp

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2009, 10:55 PM #16 of 29
Rayman Raving Rabbids, Resident Evil 4 (especially if you didn't play it before/didn't play the PS2 version), Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Brawl, Mad World, 8.8, Mario Kart, Wario Ware (because c'mon, everybody should experience this game drunk with friends), No More Heroes.

Just because nobody BUYS the games (and most of the games are first-party) doesn't mean they don't exist.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:45 AM 2 #17 of 29
lol

(Melee was better, Online play is shit)

Quote:
Mario Kart
lol

(DS was better, Online play is still shit)

Quote:
dying here

I mean, really. It's a neat system, fuck I own one. And about five games. You want to know how much dust it collects? A lot. It seems to me a lot of people are using the machine to emulate older systems rather than to actually play, you know, games for the system itself.

tl;dr wii is still a joke, stop defending it

Most amazing jew boots

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:06 AM #18 of 29
Originally Posted by Tails
lol

(Melee was better, Online play is shit)
You're only saying that because you didn't properly PREPARE YOURSELF.

Really though, my Wii gets plenty of non-piracy use. Wvlf failed to mention EXCITEBOTS, Metroid Prime 3, Boom Blox, EXCITEBOTS, de Blob, Little King's Story, Chocobo's Dungeon, Trauma Center: New Blood, EXCITEBOTS, FE: Radiant Dawn (if you've played PoR), Rune Factory Frontier, oh and EXCITEBOTS.

On a related note, I hear the PS3 is finally getting a few games this month. That makes what, 7 decent ones?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:08 AM 3 #19 of 29
I dunno, PS3 has MGS4 which I guess some people would say is decent, and considering its length it has to count for like... ten games. So 17. 17 decent ones.

I also hear that Excitebots is a ton of bullshit, and none of those spinoffs will ever be as good as the original Excitebike but that is neither here nor there

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2009, 08:01 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2009, 11:01 PM 9 #20 of 29
Problem with the Wii is most of its good games are virtually unknown because publishers get all flaccid about advertising them. Like Namco's We Ski and Snowboard.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Sep 30, 2009 at 08:04 AM.
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:10 PM #21 of 29
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:20 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2009, 06:20 PM #22 of 29
I believe this can be summed up perfectly by re-iterating a journal entry comment made a month ago:

Originally Posted by sprouticus
I miss the days of game consoles simply working and not needing fucking software updates and all that other garbage.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:27 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 02:27 AM #23 of 29
However, just for shit and giggles, allow me to point out that this update didn't even do the job it was intended for. It didn't kill homebrew.

Silly games

Read and rejoice.

The homebrew developers fixed the bugged bootloader. They can also install homebrew shit on any system menu version. They can allow you to update an existing modded Wii. You can do whatever you used to be able to do. Some homebrew might need a recompilation to work perfectly, but honestly the situation is a lot better than Nintendo would have liked.

You are now safe against future games which (like Brawl) require 4.2 firmware to be installed in order to play. Nintendo really didn't achieve anything with this update.

FELIPE NO
Buizel
Sup?

Member 667

Level 21.47

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:53 AM #24 of 29
Basil and anybody else, actually the Wii is (literally) nothing like the other current console. The only reason why a game will pop up telling you to update the Wii when you put a disc in because each game runs on it's own IOS (internal operation system). If you manually install any IOS the game needs you won't have to update anything else, including the Wii System Menu.

So far any updates that comes from Nintendo server are just to block homebrew by patching old IOS and installing new Wii System Menu. The only useful feature that came out was the SD Card Menu and supporting SDHC.

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:55 AM #25 of 29
However, just for shit and giggles, allow me to point out that this update didn't even do the job it was intended for. It didn't kill homebrew.

Silly games

Read and rejoice.

The homebrew developers fixed the bugged bootloader. They can also install homebrew shit on any system menu version. They can allow you to update an existing modded Wii. You can do whatever you used to be able to do. Some homebrew might need a recompilation to work perfectly, but honestly the situation is a lot better than Nintendo would have liked.

You are now safe against future games which (like Brawl) require 4.2 firmware to be installed in order to play. Nintendo really didn't achieve anything with this update.
If I'm reading that right, and some of the comments seem to come right out and say it, doing the usual auto-update through the Homebrew Channel will now render it immune to this system update and thus safe since that's the only thing I've hacked onto my Wii? I can't believe Nintendo was so dense that they hardcoded the program ID so that just changing the name of the program fixes it.

Of course, considering the people having their unmodded systems bricked I'm still in no rush.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Oh Nintendo you silly goose - homebrew fightin'